closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Incoming: Omega 'Skyfall' Aqua Terra

Blog Entries

New Incoming: Omega 'Skyfall' Aqua Terra

Seems buying watches are like waiting for buses, you spend ages waiting for one then two come along together. Having just made space in the watch box for an AP Jumbo, this has now arrived and so the fun continues. So what is it? Well it's a blue dialled Omega Aqua Terra, commonly referred to as the 'Skyfall' AT on account of it featuring in the Bond film of the same name (although the keen eyed amongst you will know that Daniel Craig wore the smaller 38.5mm version). The model reference 231.10.42.21.03.001 comes with 41.5mm diameter case and has the trademark vertically textured teak dial. It comes up a little bloated in terms of thickness, at 13mm, due to the in-house caliber 8500 movement. Saying that, however, it’s still incredibly wearable and very comfortable on the wrist. A few more details:

Movement: in-house caliber 8500 with co-axial escapement
    Power reserve: 60 hours
    Water resistant: 150m

So is the Aqua Terra a sports or dress watch? In my opinion, it’s both and neither. Quite frankly it can be worn with anything, dressed up with a suit or down with jeans - it really is so versatile. The blue of the dial is a sight to behold, in different lights the colour changing from a dark blue almost black shade to a bright blue that really pops - it has to be seen in the flesh. I’m going to keep this short so to finish off what does this mean….well arguably this has to be one of the best bang for buck watches out there. Robustly built piece with a fantastic in-house movement, it really is a beauty.

That's beautiful, Darren, and very well photographed.

Well done - I noticed that you'd been after this for a while. Enjoy!
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Congrats. Stunning pictures. I love my AT and couldn't agree more, it's an incredibly versatile watch. It just goes with everything.

Superb photos as always Darren, and my favourite AT too. Great post

Master
    Blog Entries
    Is it me or does the blue look darker or certainly different then the 38mm version (I used to own the 38.5mm Skyfall AT)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Is it me or does the blue look darker or certainly different then the 38mm version (I used to own the 38.5mm Skyfall AT)
    I think it's the photos....

iv seen a ton of skyfall ATs and usually much darker so I would say it's just the lighting/photos :)

Darren- a gorgeous watch well done! your right about its value, the price of a second hand one of these is ridiculously good! for what you get it's a no brainer!

Master
    Glad you managed to get one mate, great photos of it too

Journeyman
    I love the AT, all colour and sizes (yes, even the Captain's edition)"

Hope you enjoy it, I love mine!

Journeyman
    It oozes class. It's got to go high on the list of watches I desperately want to own. Dammit, reading this forum makes my head spin!

Craftsman
    Lovely watch I came very close to buying one myself

Superb pictures.AT are seriously lovely watches. Great choice.

One ofthe best Omega ever, IMHO.
    Congrats on the choice and the photos.

Craftsman
    That's a beautiful and versatile watch.

My first real watch was an Omega SS Constellation 45 years ago. In those days the movement was also in house.

It still gives me pleasure when I wear it and your acquisition has renewed my interest in the Omega Brand.

I hope you derive the same satisfaction from your Omega and that it will still be one of your favourites in 45 years time.

Wear it and enjoy it.

Regards

Trevor

Master
    Blog Entries
    Stunning watch. I am slowly getting obsessed with this watch. I want!

I do like this model and the blue dial is easily the nicest option. Great photo's and nicely summed up about the sports/dress watch scenario. I feel that the 150m Seamaster is the best combination of a sports watch and dress watch out there, and that superb movement just makes the choice so much easier to make.
    Last edited by j111dja; 15th June 2014 at 18:35.

Blog Entries
    Thanks all, having worn it so far this week I have to say I'm really bonding with it and it's supremely comfortable to wear. I'll tell you what's not to like about it though, and that's bracelet adjustment....this thing has the tiniest screws I've ever seen and i nearly lost 2 in an instant!

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    That's beautiful, Darren, and very well photographed.

Well done - I noticed that you'd been after this for a while. Enjoy!
    Thanks Ian, yes patience has now become quite a trait of mine.....it was well worth it. Hope you are well.

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Yup as mentioned by xanx its the photo's although the dial does change through the full spectrum of blue depending on light so it's still not far off.

Quote Originally Posted by xanx View Post
    Darren- a gorgeous watch well done! your right about its value, the price of a second hand one of these is ridiculously good! for what you get it's a no brainer!
    I'd have to agree with you on second hand prices, although I'm yet to see a blue 41.5mm dial version for sale on the 2nd hand market. I waited for one for long enough and never spotted one.

Quote Originally Posted by SIB View Post
    Glad you managed to get one mate, great photos of it too
    Cheers skipper

Journeyman
    Versatile & Beautiful

Craftsman
    The Omega AT has always flown under the radar for me, the teck dial always looked interesting, but never enough for me to do anything about it.

Having recently taken a 41.5mm 'opaline' dial in part trade, i have to confessed i'm blown away with them - beautifully finished case/dial/hands/markers in a package that, as you say, can be worn with anything. My only wish would be for better fine adjustment with the bracelet, removing/adding links/half links, whilst sufficient lacks the ease of use of the Rolex easylink or glidelock systems.

Blog Entries
    Rusty, love those opaline dials. Agreed its funny how under the radar a watch like this can be and i'm wondering why it took me so long to get one. The adjustments are just plain wrong, although its lovely they add 2 half links which gives ultimate control over adjustment they just make it so difficult to do so in practice.

Lovely watch indeed. Does this one have the Silicon Balance? When did Omega start putting them in the 8500 movements?

Enjoy it!

Craftsman
    I did a little research when I obtained mine and I seem to recall that the silicon balance spring was introduced some time in 2012 to these models. Mine is a 2012 model and does have the Si spring, though with no indication of its presence on the case back.

Sorry not the sharpest image, but you can see the balance wheel.....

Quote Originally Posted by rusty View Post
    I did a little research when I obtained mine and I seem to recall that the silicon balance spring was introduced some time in 2012 to these models. Mine is a 2012 model and does have the Si spring, though with no indication of its presence on the case back.

Thanks for that. Interesting that the first models with the Si balance didn't have the caseback engraved. I actually like that!
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 23rd June 2014 at 20:15.

I do like my Aqua Terra watches, and this is indeed a superb looking version.
    One for my future collection, in the larger size of course.

Lovely watch. I'm currently excited about the older, out of production 36mm version!

Very cool blue faced watch. The At is one of favorite modern Omegas.

Wonderful photographing!

Best! Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by rusty View Post

Did Omega increase the price of this model when they put the si14 spring in or did prices remain the same?

Also, does anyone know what the new list price of the Aqua Terra was when it first came with the 8500 movement?
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 24th June 2014 at 22:14.

Blog Entries
    Thanks chaps

Master
    Blog Entries
    I annoyed my local AD again this morning trying this on..... Again.

... very nice addition, congratulations! I really like this blue dial - to me this is the best "special" version of the AT line yet.

Cheers,
    Christian

Master
    Why is this referred to as a “teak dial”?

... because the structure of the dial resembles a teak deck on a yacht:

Cheers,
    Christian

Easily my favourite modern Omega, need to try both sizes on however...

Apprentice
    A truly beautiful watch and despite the amazing pics it really does look so much better in the real . I absolutely love mine...

Craftsman
    What a beautiful watch they are too. Congrats. The 8500 movement is just lovely to watch too!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    I annoyed my local AD again this morning trying this on..... Again.
    Sounds like its just a matter of time, go on i know you want to...! I believe these are currently discounted in some stores due to the imminent release of the new version (which incidentally i don't think is as nice).

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    I believe these are currently discounted in some stores due to the imminent release of the new version (which incidentally i don't think is as nice).
    What's different Darren?

Looking at the Omega website, it looks like the dial writing has changed to 'master' co-axial, I'm sure it will say Si14 on the case back, and is that polished centre links I see..?

Blog Entries
    Hey Ross, i gather the changes to the blue dial are the introduction of the anti magnetic abilities of the 8500 movement (>15,000 gauss), the bracelet changing to a blue strap, the introduction of 'Master' so that the wording 'Co-Axial' becomes 'Master Co-Axial' on the dial and the most obvious cosmetically being the removal of the date window border which leaves it a little naked (IMO). I'm fairly certain a price hike is coming on these new versions but i've not seen a price list to confirm.

Craftsman
    congrats - amazing watch. There is something about blue dial and stainless steel that looks incredible.

Blog Entries
    It is a classic combo and the dial really pops when the light hits it.