closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Choosing a new Rolex

Master
    Blog Entries

Choosing a new Rolex

OK, a little more than general speculation, on behalf on a non WIS mate who's thinking of a birthday self treat. He wants a Rolex, despite my alternative suggestions

The question is, which SS Rolex does he buy partially with value retention in mind, though its far from a crucial criteria, but we all like our toys to retain as much of their cost as possible don't we. He genuinely likes all SS models bar the more extreme (Green dial Subs) up to and including a Daytona. He's had most on his wrist over the past few months and can't decide. I know and appreciate one man's meat is another's poison etc but he's asking for help and i can't offer it as i'm biased.

He only wants new, with full AD warranty so which should he buy? Subs, GMT, Explorer, Daytona ??????????

If he's got the cash there, Daytona without question. Either that or the new 116600.

Banned
    It's not as simple to answer as it should be, as he's going to wear it and accordingly needs to like it. The answer is really the one he prefers. They'll all retain enough money to ensure he doesn't take a major bath upon resale.

Grand Master
    The choice is his and beauty is in the eye of beholder but the safest bet is Sub either Date or ideally Non Date
    RIAC

Good choice on his part. Value-retention-wise, any stainless sports model will likely do fine, so it's purely a matter of style preference. I find that the Daytona and the new Sea-Dweller offer the purest designs in the current sports range, and I'd personally avoid any oversized model (Explorer I/II, Deepsea) though they're still good watches.

The Daytona's proportions and slimness are great, but I find it has a few too many shiny bits for everyday wear, so my preference would be for something with an all-brushed bracelet for both looks and practicality. The new Sea-Dweller would handle everyday wear extremely well, but some might find it a bit thick as an only watch or a bit far on the sporty side. If so, there are some good options in the non-sports range to consider. While it might not be the best choice for value retention, I think the simple 36 mm OP with the grey dial would be a fantastic, trend-proof and extremely wearable watch for a normal person, too:

image source: rolex.com

Master
    Blog Entries
    I omitted to say, he currently has a 'triggers broom' Sub. Originally apparently a 'Red' but over the many years he's owned it, during countless service visits to Bexley and one quite recently to Kings Hill, it has morphed into a real mongrel. He wears it literally 24/7 and is not precious with it.

On the basis a Daytona with its sticky out pushers may be more vulnerable, Subs or GMT's make sense but like so many before him the chunky lugs are off putting, though i'm sure (hopefully) he'd get used to them. When i had my Explorer he was quite keen as the lugs are better proportioned but he isn't sure, hence the questions and uncertainty.

From a value retention angle it's likely to be the Daytona then the subs with the Blnr GMT right up there as well. Be careful with the 42mm ExpII as these look to lose a fair bit initially and the Milgauss also doesn't fair that well unless it's the GV. How about a 39mm Explorer?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like even though he has tried many on etc he is still clueless. Maybe Rolex aint for him

Safe bet - 114060

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    [...]On the basis a Daytona with its sticky out pushers may be more vulnerable, Subs or GMT's make sense but like so many before him the chunky lugs are off putting, though i'm sure (hopefully) he'd get used to them.[...]
    Hmm. The Daytona's probably not the best choice for wearing carelessly, but that's mostly for cosmetic reasons since the centre links and bezel will show the signs. On the plus side, the pushers are plenty abuse-resistant when they're screwed down, and the wrist-hugging contours and slimness help it avoid a lot of knocks in the first place. Still, GMTs and especially Submariners tend to wear their scars better.

Grand Master
    They will all maintain the same value or gain / loss and whilst the Daytona might seem a grail in reality it is at the higher end of the price spectrum and harder to sell than a regular sub or GMT, just to put it in perspective around 55% of steel sports interest falls into the Submariner alone with the other sharing the remainder!
    RIAC

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It's very personal. If I could have only one Rolex, it would be a GMT , no contest.

Date, second timezone, the classic Rolex look, all the WR you will ever need and the all important PCL.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    They will all maintain the same value or gain / loss and whilst the Daytona might seem a grail in reality it is at the higher end of the price spectrum and harder to sell than a regular sub or GMT, just to put it in perspective around 55% of steel sports interest falls into the Submariner alone with the other sharing the remainder!

I agree it would be logical to upgrade to a new Sub, that's what he's had for more years than i can remember, but those lugs!!! The guy is minted so money isn't an issue, he's just not phased by man jewellery and as his trusty Rolex has never actually failed him, he wants another. Perhaps i should just say the TZ massive suggest a Subc date as the obvious and logical choice and over time he'll forget the lugs, though he'll not be parting with his mongrel regardless. This may prove to be the problem going forward and the undoing of the current model.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    . there are some good options in the non-sports range to consider. While it might not be the best choice for value retention, I think the simple 36 mm OP with the grey dial would be a fantastic, trend-proof and extremely wearable watch for a normal person, too:

image source: rolex.com
    +1....best value in the Rolex range IMO. Simple and classic. 116000 if I remember rightly. My choice would be the blue 'Explorer-style' dial. As for value retention, it costs a lot less than the Sports models, so the overall (potential) loss is smaller.

Paul

I think the subject of this thread has popped up more than once before, lots of opinions based upon members likes and dislikes, I belong in the camp that says have your mate go into a well stocked AD, try some and buy what the heck he likes, alternatively once he finds one he likes post a WTB, if its a keeper then he wont lose money in the long term.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Am I right in thinking that out of the current range, Sub ceramics retain their value best?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I think the subject of this thread has popped up more than once before, lots of opinions based upon members likes and dislikes, I belong in the camp that says have your mate go into a well stocked AD, try some and buy what the heck he likes, alternatively once he finds one he likes post a WTB, if its a keeper then he wont lose money in the long term.

He's already done as you suggest, tried Daytona's, Subs and GMT's, and he was familiar with my now moved on 42mm Explorer as well.

I think his 'perfect' new Rolex would be a 42mm Sub but that is obviously not a real world option.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    +1....best value in the Rolex range IMO. Simple and classic. 116000 if I remember rightly. My choice would be the blue 'Explorer-style' dial. As for value retention, it costs a lot less than the Sports models, so the overall (potential) loss is smaller.

Paul
    I agree. It's lovely.

Journeyman
    There's a big difference between all these models as to how they sit on the wrist - I reckon that's one of the most important factors, you've got to get a good fit.

The watch has to sit 'right' on your wrist and that can vary depending on the model, cases size, bracelet type, wrist thickness and bone structure.

The watch has to be comfortable - it's pointless looking good if its not right.

Ive got ceramic and non ceramic subs, Exp I, DJ, EXP II 42 and they are all different and take a deal of fiddling around to get right.

Craftsman
    Has to be the Daytona, find one at a decent price or buy new if he wants to from Iconicwatches. It'll hold its value more than any other modern Rolex. It's also an all rounder which can be worn with anything making it the best watch to own if you only own 1.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    I think his 'perfect' new Rolex would be a 42mm Sub but that is obviously not a real world option.
    ...mercifully.

Anyone got any popcorn?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Hmm. The Daytona's probably not the best choice for wearing carelessly, but that's mostly for cosmetic reasons since the centre links and bezel will show the signs. On the plus side, the pushers are plenty abuse-resistant when they're screwed down, and the wrist-hugging contours and slimness help it avoid a lot of knocks in the first place. Still, GMTs and especially Submariners tend to wear their scars better.
    He could put the Daytona on a rubber or leather strap and it'd survive a lot more. This way he can keep it's value high as he'll have a blemish free bracelet. The Daytona case can take the wars and as you say since it hugs the wrist better it slips under cuffs and doesn't get the bangs it would if it was a Sea Dweller say.

Quote Originally Posted by CVByrne View Post
    He could put the Daytona on a rubber or leather strap and it'd survive a lot more. This way he can keep it's value high as he'll have a blemish free bracelet. The Daytona case can take the wars and as you say since it hugs the wrist better it slips under cuffs and doesn't get the bangs it would if it was a Sea Dweller say.
    Well, it's not quite bombproof, but that's certainly an option...

Buying new, it would be a Sub, probably non-date - mid term, maybe a Daytona is the much better choice - as bound to be upgraded at some stage, and will remain an all time classic.

For me personally, I'd have an Explorer II in white dial - but not at RRP!
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I offered him my white dial Explorer II a while ago but he declined it, that would have suited me too but another TZ'er now has that

A pity the new SD wasn't up-sized to 42mm, that as a Sub alternative may just have done the trick. But hey-ho his uncertainty continues, at least for a while.

Master
    As would be expected, there are a range of answers in this thread and a leaning towards a Sub. However, he is not going to get his answer by asking others for their opinion on which they prefer
    He has already narrowed down his choice significantly to a SS Rolex - he now just needs to take some time and make a decision.
    Whilst the watches are clearly different, the sports watches are actually quite similar (barring the Daytona), so it must just be about his personal preference (does he want a GMT hand, does he want to dive to several thousand metres ) and what he prefers the look of.
    If he really can't make a decision, then starting looking around for another brand as there is clearly something holding him back from choosing another SS Rolex

For a first and potentially only Rolex, it has to be the Submariner Date 116610LN.

For a second Rolex, a 36mm SS DateJust.

If funds permit a third Rolex, make it a gold Rolex of some description - YG DayDate, or the WG GMT-Master II Pepsi, or a pm Daytona.