closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watches of Distinction

Quote Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
    My wife is Portuguese and I love the sardines there. That really is a comparison that's unfair to sardines!

As the saying goes, once bitten twice shy. Perhaps the lesson learned is that you should have gone straight for the refund the moment you weren't 100% happy, rather than trying to compromise both with yourself and WoD. That left you with a bad taste in your mouth and them with a bit too much wiggle room.

Oh well, there's nothing wrong with finding a wart of your girlfriends backside, it's when your wife finds out about it that the smelly stuff really hits the aircon
    Yes.....very good point. On reflection, after all the thrashing and brain damage, you are probably right - but when for the first time in 15 years you are buying your "grail" - you are emotionally tied up with it, as is a large amount of money,and the logistics of sending back are a pain in the arse, it is a tough call. Actually, aside from the dough, it has been fun putting the watch back to proper spec.
    Last edited by Kakadu; 26th July 2014 at 23:14. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Kakadu View Post
    Yes.....very good point. On reflection, after all the thrashing and brain damage, you are probably right - but when for the first time in 15 years you are buying your "grail" - you are emotionally tied up with it, as is a large amount of money,and the logistics of sending back are a pain in the arse, it is a tough call. Actually, aside from the dough, it has been fun putting the watch back to proper spec.
    After buying my own 280 end links....for quite a lot of money...I emailed "the good guys" saying I had bought some
    and they need not worry about continuing their search - actually I don't think they did didley squat to find any, I also asked for a contribution towards the cost of said 280's. OK forget the cost of an original bezel insert and a 93150/580 bracelet that actually matches the papers.
    This evening after talking to a mate decided to send a last gasp email saying how disappointed I was not to even have a reply...........
    I must say that I did say I would be visiting lymington when next in blighty....no threat intended. Hey presto.....an almost immediate reply
    from Ian (ILC) who said he would talk to Giles about it.......................................
    My reply was short.....for a £6k watch - I have spent nearly £2k to get it right...luckily I have money, a lot of peeps haven't!
    So OK my left foot might not be a sardine....but it is definitely a bloater!
    Take care and never buy from the "good guys" without a very thorough inspection.
    So I might be a "cock" - but I am now a very upset "cock"!

http://watchesofdistinction.com/watc...el%20No%205513
    Last edited by Kakadu; 6th August 2014 at 23:49. Reason: original sales page

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    what's the difficulty? Either you return for a refund or agree to adjust the price to reflect the situation as a compromise.

I'd avoid threats of litigation at this point, it makes you sound like a cock (and that's coming from a litigator.)
    Just for the record.....I suspect I was right in the 1st place - litigator mmmmmm. Anyway I have now moved on.......
    and hope no one has the awful experience I have had with these people!
    Last edited by Kakadu; 7th August 2014 at 00:09. Reason: merda

I have just visited the shop and had a long chat with the guys (whilst eying up a deap sea) and they told me of their disbelief at this story.
    1 watch sold in good faith having come from its original owner complete-as was
    2 buyer unhappy with potential bracelet/end links issue which, it transpires is not uncommon with transitional year production (so really not an issue at all)
    3 buyer is offered full, unconditional refund but decided as its "logistically boring" (?) that he doesn't want it, and he's now happy with watch (see thread)
    4 buyer spends smore money sourcing parts (which wod had offered to do at no cost whatsoever)
    5 buyer still writing snot-a-grams about wod
    6TODAY- WOD MAKE ANOTHER, UNCONDITIONAL OFFER TO BUY BACK THE WATCH AT THE ORIGINAL PRICE PAID, some 6 months later and for at least the third time. This offer is open, via this forum and via me writing this note- All they want is a satisfied customer.

Look guys, the shop can't do anymore- they have no public right of reply on this forum(Because they are bona fide dealers) except via other customers like me who are forum members. Naturally they would like their side of the story understood. They read the parts of the forum that they can access and are completely at a loss as to how else they can respond

I'm only writing this because I have had great service there and I hate to see reputations damaged without right to reply.

edit: oCT 2015 have found out clasp was 93150 NOT 9315 - i.e. a fixed up bracelet 9315 links 93150 clasp 380B ends........minus divers extension
    so was right all along............no wonder they procratinated about swapping - god help anyone who deals over the net with these peeps!!!!!!! bastards

I have moved on - it was not my intention to damage their reputation. I am sure had I been in the UK
    all would have been different. I was never offered a refund and as I say I really think that was not an option
    had one been offered. I have probably handled the whole thing wrongly and apologise for that and to WOD.

Edit on 14th August...Thanks for the "support" - from some of you - first I never was offered a refund - EVER! To say I was offered a refund 3 times is just untrue. Secondly the 93150/580 was offered but was advised that it might take time to find correct coded clasp, so I opted for 280 ends to replace the 380B Tudor ends. I sourced my own 93150/580...a wonderful untouched original bracelet, I never expected any contribution towards this. After waiting and waiting I found my own 280's and asked for some token contribution. Nothing was
    forthcoming. Again my decision to get a correct bezel insert was mine, no contribution asked for.
    Epilogue: I now find the watch is actually a 1974 watch sold in 1976 - no problem but one would have thought someone might have looked at the
    serial number being experts and dealers. The case back is marked 1/72 on the inside - again no problem for me, that is acceptable.
    All I would say if you sell £6K vintage Rolex watches for goodness sake get it together! That gentlemen is it. Needless to say I still LOVE my watch!
    Last edited by Kakadu; 30th October 2015 at 19:03. Reason: truth in colour!

I think that Kakadu is being unfairly judged here.

1 watch sold in good faith having come from its original owner complete-as was - This is not relevant to the issue at hand.
    2 buyer unhappy with potential bracelet/end links issue - Correct. This is the issue.
    which, it transpires is not uncommon with transitional year production (so really not an issue at all) - Wouldn't be an issue for some. The Buyer is unhappy. This means that it is an issue for the buyer.
    3 buyer is offered full, unconditional refund - Buyer says that he never received this offer.
    but decided as its "logistically boring" (?) that he doesn't want it, and he's now happy with watch (see thread) - Correct.
    4 buyer spends more money sourcing parts (which wod had offered to do at no cost whatsoever) - yes, but only after waiting several weeks. The buyer became convinced that WoD weren't sourcing the parts.
    5 buyer still writing snot-a-grams about wod - The buyer has been very reasonable throughout. Other posters may have made disparaging remarks.
    6TODAY- WOD MAKE ANOTHER, UNCONDITIONAL OFFER TO BUY BACK THE WATCH AT THE ORIGINAL PRICE PAID, some 6 months later and for at least the third time. This offer is open, via this forum and via me writing this note- All they want is a satisfied customer. - The buyer has already made it very clear that had he been made the offer of a full refund he would have rejected it.

Look guys, the shop can't do anymore- they have no public right of reply on this forum(Because they are bona fide dealers) except via other customers like me who are forum members. Naturally they would like their side of the story understood. They read the parts of the forum that they can access and are completely at a loss as to how else they can respond. - They could offer to contribute partially to the cost of the parts already borne by the buyer! They are by no means obliged to do this, but it would show good faith.

Quote Originally Posted by AllyWheels View Post
    Buyer spends more money sourcing parts (which wod had offered to do at no cost whatsoever)
    They could offer to contribute partially to the cost of the parts already borne by the buyer! They are by no means obliged to do this, but it would show good faith.
    To me this is key. If WoD claim they did indeed offer to source the parts, only to have the OP do this first (despite his lack of experience/contacts), then surely the right thing to do is to contribute towards the OP's costs the estimated amount the parts have would have cost WoD (inc time spent sourcing).

Anything less shows WoD in a very, very poor light indeed.
    Last edited by rasputin; 9th August 2014 at 08:02.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyWheels View Post
    I think that Kakadu is being unfairly judged here.

1 watch sold in good faith having come from its original owner complete-as was - This is not relevant to the issue at hand.
    2 buyer unhappy with potential bracelet/end links issue - Correct. This is the issue.
    which, it transpires is not uncommon with transitional year production (so really not an issue at all) - Wouldn't be an issue for some. The Buyer is unhappy. This means that it is an issue for the buyer.
    3 buyer is offered full, unconditional refund - Buyer says that he never received this offer.
    but decided as its "logistically boring" (?) that he doesn't want it, and he's now happy with watch (see thread) - Correct.
    4 buyer spends more money sourcing parts (which wod had offered to do at no cost whatsoever) - yes, but only after waiting several weeks. The buyer became convinced that WoD weren't sourcing the parts.
    5 buyer still writing snot-a-grams about wod - The buyer has been very reasonable throughout. Other posters may have made disparaging remarks.
    6TODAY- WOD MAKE ANOTHER, UNCONDITIONAL OFFER TO BUY BACK THE WATCH AT THE ORIGINAL PRICE PAID, some 6 months later and for at least the third time. This offer is open, via this forum and via me writing this note- All they want is a satisfied customer. - The buyer has already made it very clear that had he been made the offer of a full refund he would have rejected it.

Look guys, the shop can't do anymore- they have no public right of reply on this forum(Because they are bona fide dealers) except via other customers like me who are forum members. Naturally they would like their side of the story understood. They read the parts of the forum that they can access and are completely at a loss as to how else they can respond. - They could offer to contribute partially to the cost of the parts already borne by the buyer! They are by no means obliged to do this, but it would show good faith.
    Agree with all of this......I won't risk using them in the future...which is a pity as they are quite local

Exclamation

1 agree with this - there's nothing stopping WOD pitching in with a contribution. Would be the decent thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    To me this is key. If WoD claim they did indeed offer to source the parts, only to have the OP achieve this first (despite his lack of experience/contacts), then surely the right thing to do contribute towards the OP's costs the estimated amount the parts have cost WoD (inc time spent sourcing).

Anything less show's WoD in a very, very poor light indeed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    they have no public right of reply on this forum(Because they are bona fide dealers) except via other customers like me who are forum members.
    Why don't they have a direct, public right of reply here? Being bona fide dealers does not prevent this as far as I can see.

I don't recall that Eddie has prevented dealers from taking part directly in Watch Talk (but correct me if I am wrong, anyone). Understandably, as per previous episodes, dealers should not advertise on TZ-UK without Eddie's permission but taking part in a thread about themselves in WT is surely perfectly legitimate. That said, if you are speaking on their authorised behalf then the effect is the same: They do have a functional right of reply and have exercised it.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 9th August 2014 at 07:37.

Exclamation With regards to the original offer of a full refund -

I'm more inclined to believe the OP than a dealer who's trying to keep a new/ prospective customer sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I have just visited the shop and had a long chat with the guys (whilst eying up a deap sea) and they told me of their disbelief at this story.
    1 watch sold in good faith having come from its original owner complete-as was
    2 buyer unhappy with potential bracelet/end links issue which, it transpires is not uncommon with transitional year production (so really not an issue at all)
    3 buyer is offered full, unconditional refund but decided as its "logistically boring" (?) that he doesn't want it, and he's now happy with watch (see thread)
    4 buyer spends smore money sourcing parts (which wod had offered to do at no cost whatsoever)
    5 buyer still writing snot-a-grams about wod
    6TODAY- WOD MAKE ANOTHER, UNCONDITIONAL OFFER TO BUY BACK THE WATCH AT THE ORIGINAL PRICE PAID, some 6 months later and for at least the third time. This offer is open, via this forum and via me writing this note- All they want is a satisfied customer.

Look guys, the shop can't do anymore- they have no public right of reply on this forum(Because they are bona fide dealers) except via other customers like me who are forum members. Naturally they would like their side of the story understood. They read the parts of the forum that they can access and are completely at a loss as to how else they can respond

I'm only writing this because I have had great service there and I hate to see reputations damaged without right to reply.

I have no axe to grind either way but I can't see any dealer offering to pay towards parts he could have sourced himself at a cheaper price. Why would he? If the watch was not to the buyers liking he should have returned it. If it was 'ok' then what ever you choose to do to it afterwards is down to you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    I have no axe to grind either way but I can't see any dealer offering to pay towards parts he could have sourced himself at a cheaper price. Why would he? If the watch was not to the buyers liking he should have returned it. If it was 'ok' then what ever you choose to do to it afterwards is down to you.
    Why would he pay? For customer satisfaction and good PR. Going that extra mile always pays positive customer-story and word of mouth dividends.

Furthermore, if the dealer was willing to source parts himself then paying something towards them does not mean he necessarily has to pay any more. That "something" might only be what he was previously willing to pay himself. And, of course, one cannot assume that a dealer would necessarily have got a better price than a motivated and knowledgeable collector.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 14th August 2014 at 22:24. Reason: Fixed typo