closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So close, yet so disappointed - the new Bulova Snorkel

So close, yet so disappointed - the new Bulova Snorkel

Rather than going off topic on someone else's thread (this one: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...44#post3129944) I thought I'd start a new one.

First time I saw the new Bulova Snorkel about 2 hours ago, I wanted it. About an hour ago I saw it had the precisionist movement and then I really wanted it. It's not even available yet but I was all ready to place an advance order - something I've never done before. It's an absolute stunner in my opinion:

So what has ruined it for me? Discovering it only had 30m (100ft/3ATM) water resistance. Even the original version (40 odd years ago!) had 200m water resistance. That's progress for you... I wouldn't even do the washing up in a 30m watch. Bollocks.

Specs here: http://www.bulova.com/en_us/watch/bu...tron-ii/96B208

Other "disappointment" stories welcome!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Does seem a tad silly to have such a low rating for it?!!

To be fair, there aren't that many of us who are able to snorkel to 30m...

...probably.

Although as it's only water-resistant to 3ATM, that's only 20m. I agree. It's rubbish.

Had you planned on diving whilst wearing it?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I don't dive, but I'd have certainly gone for a swim in it.

I agree, it does seem a little silly, I am sure they could have done a little better.

But if I liked it that much, I wouldn't let the depth rating put me off.

I also notice that they call it the 'Snorkel' so the rating seems apt, the vintage versions were called the 'Deep Sea'.

The name spoils it for me.

What's the WR on the the Bulova 'Washing Up and Hand Washing' model?

Quote Originally Posted by Meinessex View Post
    I agree, it does seem a little silly, I am sure they could have done a little better.

I also notice that they call it the 'Snorkel' so the rating seems apt, the vintage versions were called the 'Deep Sea'.
    That's not *quite* true. There were a number of Bulova "Snorkels" produced.

It's a copy of an old diving watch - I should at least be able to swim in it! The old Snorkel it's based on is 200m:

For those of you who think it's ok to go snorkelling in a 30m rated watch:

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post

For those of you who think it's ok to go snorkelling in a 30m rated watch:

Well, that's not quite true either now, is it?

Unless you're suggesting that the IWC Deep Three, for example, is unsuitable for diving, with its paltry 10 bar water-resistance...?

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Well, that's not quite true either now, is it?

Unless you're suggesting that the IWC Deep Three, for example, is unsuitable for diving, with its paltry 10 bar water-resistance...?
    Well, to be fair, if you google image "watch water resistance" you get quite a wide variety of results. However none of them would recommend snorkelling in a 30m watch. I would have used Eddie's own table but it's not got 30m on it: http://www.timefactors.com/wresist.htm

That's not *quite* true. There were a number of Bulova "Snorkels" produced.
    True, I believe they made similar models with both the Snorkel and Deep Sea monikers.

Maybe they plan to bring out a re-issued Deep Sea version in the future?

Well, to be fair, if you google image "watch water resistance" you get quite a wide variety of results. However none of them would recommend snorkelling in a 30m watch. I would have used Eddie's own table but it's not got 30m on it: http://www.timefactors.com/wresist.htm
    It's a 20m watch. At best.

Blog Entries
    Nice paddler.

Maybe they plan to bring out a re-issued Deep Sea version in the future?
    They could call it the "Deep Bath" because that's probably all it will be good for! :D

Kind of stupid indeed, especially seeing as they used a super-compressor case design/crown configuration

If Bulova/Citizen played they're cards right with these Precisionist movements, putting it in smaller/classic design cases, w/ sapphire crystal on one hand and then in "proper" looking diving watches instead of the current monstrosities, they could rake in huge sales IMO
    Last edited by Dan83bz; 6th May 2014 at 22:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan83bz View Post
    Kind of stupid indeed, especially seeing as they used a super-compressor case design/crown configuration

Does anyone know if this re-issue actually has a super-compressor case?

I'm guessing it probably doesn't.

Such a funny thread given that so many Rolex owners wont wear their watches whilst washing the dishes or taking a shower, or on the beach oh for f*** I'm sure you get the point, why spend 6+k on a watch that you wont wear in an overheated kitchen, get a grip you lot!

I feel better now I've vented on the Bulova facebook page. What a tragic old miserable git I am....
    Last edited by Lampoc; 6th May 2014 at 22:27.

Blog Entries
    Does it have a Fairy Liquid escapement valve?

Good point about folk not diving in them anyway, I could have a watch that would tick forever on the sea bed but the only diving I would do wearing it is of the muff variety.....

Enjoyed the fact that you vented on the facebook page too. Not actually paying for it and slating it off, don't know where you are from mate but we could make a tight Yorkshireman out of you yet! ;)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Does it have a Fairy Liquid escapement valve?

Good point about folk not diving in them anyway, I could have a watch that would tick forever on the sea bed but the only diving I would do wearing it is of the muff variety.....

Enjoyed the fact that you vented on the facebook page too. Not actually paying for it and slating it off, don't know where you are from mate but we could make a tight Yorkshireman out of you yet! ;)
    Ahhh Lincs. Not far off. ;)

Such a funny thread given that so many Rolex owners wont wear their watches whilst washing the dishes or taking a shower, or on the beach oh for f*** I'm sure you get the point, why spend 6+k on a watch that you wont wear in an overheated kitchen, get a grip you lot!
    Didn't think this thread was about Rolex actually?

So what has ruined it for me? Discovering it only had 30m (100ft/3ATM) water resistance. Even the original version (40 odd years ago!) had 200m water resistance. That's progress for you... I wouldn't even do the washing up in a 30m watch. Bollocks.

Specs here: http://www.bulova.com/en_us/watch/bu...tron-ii/96B208

Other "disappointment" stories welcome!
    Totally agree.

They could of had the decency to lie about the WR on the dial. It's not like many people would of found out the hard way!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adzman808 View Post
    Didn't think this thread was about Rolex actually?

It wasn't. But some people just can't help themselves .

I'm prepared to dive with any of my appropriately-rated modern dive watches (and some that aren't even dive watches, if the testing is robust enough).

This is yet another example of a brand riding the retro-wave and wiping out. It's an #epicfail.

On the plus side, at least nobody has mentioned "dynamic pressure".

ETA: I have a feeling this may all be a mistake. I can't find a link (that works) to the Bulova 'site. Am beginning to think that this might be a mis-print.... but I'm probably wrong. I usually am.
    Last edited by Broussard; 7th May 2014 at 08:56.

Perhaps the target market are desk divers?

Perhaps the target market are desk divers?

A reissue / reinterpretation of a niche late '60s super compressor-style dive watch? Probably. But who in their right minds releases a "dive watch" that's only suitable for PADI Open Water divers? Unless that is the target market?

My snorkelling / freediving appears to be seriously impinged by my eustachian tubes: I can't seem to get below 18m / 55ft (and even then, with what seemed to be a squeeze). So perhaps this is the perfect watch for me, after all?
    Last edited by Broussard; 7th May 2014 at 08:56.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    It wasn't. But some people just can't help themselves .
    Ha - all threads lead to ROLEX :)
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I have a feeling this may all be a mistake. I can't find a link (that works) to the Bulova 'site. Am beginning to think that this might be a mis-print.... but I'm probably wrong. I usually am.
    Link is here: http://www.bulova.com/en_us/watch/bu...tron-ii/96B208 then it's under the technical data tab.

A reissue / reinterpretation of a niche late '60s super compressor-style dive watch? Probably. But who in their right minds releases a "dive watch" that's only suitable for PADI Open Water divers? Unless that is the target market?
    Surely a 30m rated watch isn't even good enough to go swimming in, never mind a PADI open water dive?

Link is here: http://www.bulova.com/en_us/watch/bu...tron-ii/96B208 then it's under the technical data tab.

Surely a 30m rated watch isn't even good enough to go swimming in, never mind a PADI open water dive?
    Weird. I was getting a 404 message. Perhaps I was going through a different part of their 'site.

Re PADI OW, the limit for diving with this qualification is just 18m. I think they still class any dive below that, up to the recreational limits of 40m, as "deep". But I could be wrong. I usually am.

This WR issue has been around forever and I'm still not quite sure what it's all about, regardless of what pretty coloured charts say. So, if we trust that a Rolex or Omega showing 300m on the dial will be safe to 300m, why are we doubting the Bulova's 30m claim to be safe to 30m? If I owned one I'd like to know I could go swimming at my local baths with it on. Would I be safe to do so?

The Smiths Everest I'm wearing now says 100m - are we to assume that's incorrect? Surely we can't have one rule for one and one for another.

And I think it's a cracking looking watch.

David

That's a shame as it's a great looking watch.....but not really fit for purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    This WR issue has been around forever and I'm still not quite sure what it's all about, regardless of what pretty coloured charts say. So, if we trust that a Rolex or Omega showing 300m on the dial will be safe to 300m, why are we doubting the Bulova's 30m claim to be safe to 30m? If I owned one I'd like to know I could go swimming at my local baths with it on. Would I be safe to do so?

The Smiths Everest I'm wearing now says 100m - are we to assume that's incorrect? Surely we can't have one rule for one and one for another.

And I think it's a cracking looking watch.

David
    A 30M water resistance rating is a once-only static pressure test to 3 bar (30m) on a brand new watch. It can't be compared to vigourous activites such as swimming/diving where a watch is consistently under higher pressures than the depth it is being used at.

It's rated as 200m resistant here:
    http://www.chriselli.com/96b210-bulo...let-watch.html

I suspect that this will be the the actual rating. I can't imagine that the company would drop the ball so badly after resurrecting this specific design.

Re PADI OW, the limit for diving with this qualification is just 18m. I think they still class any dive below that, up to the recreational limits of 40m, as "deep". But I could be wrong. I usually am.
    That’s about right: PADI’s structure certifies OW to 18m, Advanced OW is to 30m and then Deep Diver takes you to 40m.

I do thing Bulova have dropped a bit of a clanger on the Snorkel, it’s really not a dive watch (unlike its predecessor) but for the purpose of snorkelling then I guess it’d do.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan83bz View Post

If Bulova/Citizen played they're cards right with these Precisionist movements, putting it in smaller/classic design cases, w/ sapphire crystal on one hand and then in "proper" looking diving watches instead of the current monstrosities, they could rake in huge sales IMO
    Completely agree. I really want to like them and they huge potential, but the designs are just horrific. Real shame as they could be fantastic if they didn't design them in the dark.

My snorkelling / freediving appears to be seriously impinged by my eustachian tubes: I can't seem to get below 18m / 55ft (and even then, with what seemed to be a squeeze). So perhaps this is the perfect watch for me, after all?
    Ref the ear problem. try this site http://staff.washington.edu/ekay/

It made a big difference to me as I had big problems equalising. The video is a bit long but with practice will help you master the frenzel technique. It made a huge difference to me and let me get back into spearfishing.

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    It's rated as 200m resistant here:
    http://www.chriselli.com/96b210-bulo...let-watch.html

I suspect that this will be the the actual rating. I can't imagine that the company would drop the ball so badly after resurrecting this specific design.
    Would be strange for the manufacturer to get it wrong on their site though. If I were going to buy one I'd have to do a stack of research first.

OT

Quote Originally Posted by hellominky View Post
    Ref the ear problem. try this site http://staff.washington.edu/ekay/

It made a big difference to me as I had big problems equalising. The video is a bit long but with practice will help you master the frenzel technique. It made a huge difference to me and let me get back into spearfishing.
    Thank you. *Everyone* has tried and failed (so far) to teach me the Frenzel. I just can't seem to do it - to me, it was like being taught to roll one's tongue. I just couldn't - and can't - seem to get it. All in all, I'm rubbish. But happy to be able to enjoy even the shallower depths. To be honest, I picked up apnea for two reasons, extending range for u/w photography while snorkelling and relaxation, neither of which requires the depths that you guys, or competition FDs get down to!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    ^^^^^^^^^^ I have been diving a long time and for me it's either the valsalva or nothing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Would be strange for the manufacturer to get it wrong on their site though. If I were going to buy one I'd have to do a stack of research first.
    My point is that it is not actually released yet, so the discrepancy MAY indicate a lack of organization on Bulova. I would wait until it actually releases (or ask the company itself) before reaching a conclusion. They just can't be THAT clueless about the history of the Snorkel. I mean it says 666 ft right on the original.

Edit - my faith in humanity is somewhat restored. I just got a message from Bulova:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you for contacting us. The website will be corrected. It is 200m.

Regards,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by lenny; 7th May 2014 at 14:53.

My point is that it is not actually released yet, so the discrepancy MAY indicate a lack of organization on Bulova. I would wait until it actually releases (or ask the company itself) before reaching a conclusion. They just can't be THAT clueless about the history of the Snorkel. I mean it says 666 ft right on the original.

Edit - my faith in humanity is somewhat restored. I just got a message from Bulova:

Regards,

That's that then, well done and thanks for doing this for the collective. Now it looks like a good buy.

There's a few on this page that I think are nice (210, 220, 214, 133, 209 and 208) and not the usual monstrosities I expect from Bulova:

http://www.bulova.com/en_us/watch/bu...ection_id=1122
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 7th May 2014 at 15:59.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^ I have been diving a long time and for me it's either the valsalva or nothing!!!
    Good to know I'm not the only one!

On compressed gasses, I've no problems at all. But below about thirty five feet, it just get's too difficult. Hey ho.

Back on topic, I'm glad they've corrected the details: "Snorkel 66.6ft" always was going to be a pretty unimpressive thing to have on the dial...

Grand Master

You'd be right - the company that invented the supercompressor case doesn't appear to be around any more, and I don't know what's happens to the patents. But in any event, I doubt that case sealing method would be necessary these days. Certainly watches like the twin-crown Longines Legend, old IWC Aquatimer and JLC Polaris have conventional cases.

Nice to see this watch does have a proper WR rating befitting its style.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Regards,

The website is now updated.
    Well, what a waste of whinging thread that was. Now I'm going to have to buy the damn thing!

No, but neither did the original, it looked similar with the 2 crown arrangement but it wasnt a Super Compressor case....
    Cheers..
    Jase

Brilliant, that's me sold then. Fancied a precisionist for a while but couldn't get beyond the 'designs' available. Now it's just a matter of which one. PVD, fitted bracelet or mesh version... hmmm.

Master
    Like that a lot especially now we've got the WR sorted out

Craftsman
    Very nice looking watch. Liked the look of the original version also.

For me it is a toss up of the Blue and white one or the Orange and black on mesh. Either way it'd be straight on to an isofrane or similar.
    Can't seem to find the Orange one on mesh in the UK though.
    Anyone had any luck?