closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Squale 20 ATMOS

Master

Squale 20 ATMOS

Just got an email from Gnomon Watches in Singapore about a new release of 20 ATMOS watches from Squale. Loving the Heritage dial here:
    http://www.gnomonwatches.com/watches...5-sel-bracelet

That's a great deal of fun for the money, surely?

SGR

That is nice it could be the diver I have been looking for !

Craftsman
    I guess I never really know what the difference is between all these Sub clones. I just wish they'd gone for something other than brown and yellow for the bezel, and the logo makes the dial a bit busy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MattG View Post
    I guess I never really know what the difference is between all these Sub clones. I just wish they'd gone for something other than brown and yellow for the bezel, and the logo makes the dial a bit busy.
    I think given the heritage that Squale has in the world of dive watches it's perhaps a little harsh to just write this range off. The company makes some really nice pieces and, let's be honest, there's a fairly tried and trusted formula to a classic dive watch that we all have Blancpain to thank for. The colours on this specific model appear more gold than yellow on my screen (the verbage below the pictures also suggests gold). The dial perhaps looks a little busy compared with a Rolex Sub but I'm not making that comparison and I certainly don't find it displeasing. It's certainly consistent with the dials of other Squale models.

All the usual caveats about personal taste and preference apply. :-)

SGR

Not sure at all where the "busy" notion comes from - there's a lot of empty real estate on that dial.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    I think given the heritage that Squale has in the world of dive watches it's perhaps a little harsh to just write this range off. The company makes some really nice pieces and, let's be honest, there's a fairly tried and trusted formula to a classic dive watch that we all have Blancpain to thank for. The colours on this specific model appear more gold than yellow on my screen (the verbage below the pictures also suggests gold). The dial perhaps looks a little busy compared with a Rolex Sub but I'm not making that comparison and I certainly don't find it displeasing. It's certainly consistent with the dials of other Squale models.

All the usual caveats about personal taste and preference apply. :-)

SGR
    Didn't realised that I hadn't heard of the brand before.

I love Squale; it's a 40 year old brand built on two decades of case-making expertise. It sponsored freediving and early scuba divers, and created some of the most iconic case designs in diving history (IMHO). However, this one just doesn't float my boat -I think it might be just me being a snob, to be honest: even the Squale website decribes the 1545 as a "leisure" watch, rather than the "professional" tag it gives to the (near-perfect) 1521, or the 101ATM. It used only to be available in a two-two configuration (again, one of my pet hates, so perhaps I really am being unfair here), and it's strange that these 20 atmos divers are only available from *other* websites. But there we are. Cool brand. Cool watches. You can't like 'em all, I suppose.
    Last edited by Broussard; 6th May 2014 at 18:36.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    I love Squale; it's a 40 year old brand built on two decades of case-making expertise. It sponsored freediving and early scuba divers, and created some of the most iconic case designs in diving history (IMHO). However, this one just doesn't float my boat -I think it might be just me being a snob, to be honest: even the Squale website decribes the 1545 as a "leisure" watch, rather than the "professional" tag it gives to the (near-perfect) 1521, or the 101ATM. it used only to be available in a two-two configuration (again, one of my pet hates, so perhaps I really am being unfair here), and it's strange that these 20 atmos divers are only available from *other* websites. But there we are. Cool brand. Cool watches. You can't like 'em all, I suppose.
    I like that 1521!

Tudor black bay was my first thought. Looks pretty nice but hard to tell te colors from just one source.

Lovely Squale... when my nephew was looking for a watch he could wear when he goes over to the States to university I decided he deserved it!

http://flic.kr/p/fQQGrE
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    Tudor black bay was my first thought. Looks pretty nice but hard to tell te colors from just one source.
    Yes, agreed, but it's a fraction of the price and there's a lot to love there for the money from a cracking brand, IMO.

SGR

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwozza70 View Post
    Lovely Squale... when my nephew was looking for a watch he could wear when he goes over to the States to university I decided he deserved it!

http://flic.kr/p/fQQGrE
    No cyclops on your nephew's, I note. When was this one purchased?

SGR

Blog Entries
    Nice piece, nice price defo for an automatic, and with a nice 'root beer' feel.

I have 2 Squales, nice brand.

Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    No cyclops on your nephew's, I note. When was this one purchased?

SGR
    I removed the cyclops myself.

Master
    OK, so I took delivery of this watch today and the images on the screen that I've seen so far really don't do it justice...

The bezel is a lovely metallic root beer brown and the bezel markers are definitely gold rather than yellow. They're bright but not brassy. The dial is an off-black; not really brown but it definitely changes with the light and it's very attractive to my eye.

I'm generally very pleased with the watch although the bracelet link bars have screw heads and a couple of them were a real bugger to get out - dunno what they used to tighten them with at the factory! Nice tight clasp and screw down crown. Feels very solid and you simply cannot argue with that price!

SGR

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    I love Squale; it's a 40 year old brand built on two decades of case-making expertise. It sponsored freediving and early scuba divers, and created some of the most iconic case designs in diving history (IMHO). However, this one just doesn't float my boat -I think it might be just me being a snob, to be honest: even the Squale website decribes the 1545 as a "leisure" watch, rather than the "professional" tag it gives to the (near-perfect) 1521, or the 101ATM. It used only to be available in a two-two configuration (again, one of my pet hates, so perhaps I really am being unfair here), and it's strange that these 20 atmos divers are only available from *other* websites. But there we are. Cool brand. Cool watches. You can't like 'em all, I suppose.
    I Love Squale too.

ismaaeel

Looks like a copy of a Rolex sub the older design Squale are the only ones I like and the look cooler than that one.