closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage Tiffany & Co chrono

Journeyman

Vintage Tiffany & Co chrono

Hi guys,

Today I went to a clock & watch fair in the Netherlands and slightly fell in love with this vintage beauty. It's a Tiffany & Co with a Landeron manual wind chrono movement. I believe it's a Landeron cal 48. For the rest I can't find any info online, so I can't tell much more about it.

The watch is rather small (33mm), however looks great on the wrist. Will publish more photos later.

Gorgeous dial on that. The Breguet numerals combined with the blue and black printing are especially nice.

I really like that :)

Journeyman
    That looks stunning. Think I need to add a vintage two register chrono to my collection!

I am an absolute amateur at interpreting vintage dials, but the blue 1-20 printing looks to be somewhat different than the rest. It appears darker than the tachy numbers - is that true in real life? Also the 12 looks much bolder than the 11.

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    I am an absolute amateur at interpreting vintage dials, but the blue 1-20 printing looks to be somewhat different than the rest. It appears darker than the tachy numbers - is that true in real life? Also the 12 looks much bolder than the 11.
    It's likely hand-painted rather than mechanically applied, or else the template was based on hand lettering. For me, it adds a lot to the charm, and shows how oft-neglected the art of typography currently is.
    Last edited by Belligero; 5th May 2014 at 00:21.

Thomas Reid
    I too like that. If one is going to have a lot of numerals, pack them in, I say!

Best wishes,
    Bob

I like that too but I'd worry that it was something that had Tiffany & Co. added later to give it greater value. I understand that some jewellers would have had their name printed subsequently (even Tiffany recently with a dial-stamping machine in their own shop - http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/printin...patek-philippe) meaning that print types were never meant to match and others had it done at the manufacture. Are there any other Tiffany markings on the watch; on the caseback or movement?

Obviously they're from different decades but there is a bit of a font and spacing difference - not sure.
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 5th May 2014 at 10:13. Reason: Picture added
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Journeyman
    No other Tiffany & Co markings. From what I've seen that seems to the usual. I've seen the co-printed dials like Tiffany & Co with Patek Philippe/Rolex however there are also many watches with just Tiffany & Co on the dial and no other brand. I believe that these watches were made by any watch brand, commissioned by Tiffany & Co.

However there hardly anything to find on this matter, so all info is welcome!