closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Shimano Deore M615 groupset (2014) - opinions?

Craftsman

Shimano Deore M615 groupset (2014) - opinions?

So I've got a Specialized Hardrock Pro from 2006 which is hasn't really seen much investment since it was new. Frame itself is solid so I'm looking to start upgrading it to start taking it out to trails again.

First on is drive train and brakes so I'm thinking just going for a entire Shimano Deore groupset (new for 2014) including double crankset and brakes- I've read it isn't significantly different from SLX and Merlin Cycles have a deal for £250 for the lot.

It seems like its a good choice but I wonder if anyone has first hand experience with any of the components of this system?

Master
    I'd pay the extra and buy SLX. You get a lot more for not that much more money. I ran Mostly Deore on a Kona hardtail some years ago, then upgraded to SLX when it was first released and it was like night and day. I then went down the SRAM route, hated it and changed to XT. SLX is definitely the (more than) happy medium in my opinion. It's lighter, looks nicer and feels more robust when pushing on.

Blog Entries
    Maybe worth keeping an eye on ebay/singletrack world for 2nd hand bits, I picked up a hardly used XTR groupset for around £400

Journeyman
    Try a combination of the SLX shifters with deore mech's.

Long time since i rode/upgraded, remember deore being a lot cheaper than that though??

Also second hand stuff on pinkbike:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/?region=5

Journeyman
    That groupset is great value, but you don't really want a long cage rear mech (even with the clutch mech denoted by the "+") with a 2X set up (well I wouldn't)
    The clutch mechs are excellent, so whatever you get try and ensure it includes one of these.
    Nothing wrong with Deore at all nowadays; it's good kit.
    Checkout rosebikes, you can get a full SLX set up for around £300ish.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wrecker View Post
    That groupset is great value, but you don't really want a long cage rear mech (even with the clutch mech denoted by the "+") with a 2X set up (well I wouldn't)
    The clutch mechs are excellent, so whatever you get try and ensure it includes one of these.
    Nothing wrong with Deore at all nowadays; it's good kit.
    Checkout rosebikes, you can get a full SLX set up for around £300ish.
    I've read that with 24/26-38 front and 11-36 rear long cage is recommended as it will exceed limits for medium cage even if there's some leeway in the specification...

Coming at this from a different direction, have you considered selling the hardrock and getting a new bike?

Reason I say that is a mate had the 2005 hardrock pro and it was a big heavy beast. We both bought new bikes at about the same time, he walked in to the shop and being the impulsive type, bought the hardrock pro there and then for £500. It’s the top spec for specialized most basic frame at the time. I did a bit of research and ended up getting the base spec rockhopper disc mail order at a sale price of £500 just a couple of weeks later. I ended up with a much better more upgrade worthy frame and also had better components and fork and hydraulic discs compared to his cable all for the same price.

I know they did a major redesign on the hardrock frame at some point after 2005, making it a lighter more xc style, but don’t know if the 2006 was the new one or not? My point is, if your 2006 frame is the same as the old 2005, then it’s a big chunky heavy basic frame that in pro spec probably isn’t that worthy of upgrade over and above what it already has. Your money may be better spent towards a whole new bike which would get you a better lighter frame and all new better components. If you were able to take advantage of the cycle to work scheme, you could get a £1000 bike for nearly half that, and spread the cost over a year or 2.

Just my thoughts on it

Brighty

Journeyman
    I've read that with 24/26-38 front and 11-36 rear long cage is recommended
    They may be right. I maybe a little out of the loop as I run 1 x 10 (36 x 11-34)

I've used these guys a few times for bits for my road bike:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/groupsets?f=2258

Worth a look as they sell off previous years parts at pretty good prices. The link is just for the MTB groups but you may decide to mix and match

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Coming at this from a different direction, have you considered selling the hardrock and getting a new bike?

Reason I say that is a mate had the 2005 hardrock pro and it was a big heavy beast. We both bought new bikes at about the same time, he walked in to the shop and being the impulsive type, bought the hardrock pro there and then for £500. It’s the top spec for specialized most basic frame at the time. I did a bit of research and ended up getting the base spec rockhopper disc mail order at a sale price of £500 just a couple of weeks later. I ended up with a much better more upgrade worthy frame and also had better components and fork and hydraulic discs compared to his cable all for the same price.

I know they did a major redesign on the hardrock frame at some point after 2005, making it a lighter more xc style, but don’t know if the 2006 was the new one or not? My point is, if your 2006 frame is the same as the old 2005, then it’s a big chunky heavy basic frame that in pro spec probably isn’t that worthy of upgrade over and above what it already has. Your money may be better spent towards a whole new bike which would get you a better lighter frame and all new better components. If you were able to take advantage of the cycle to work scheme, you could get a £1000 bike for nearly half that, and spread the cost over a year or 2.

Just my thoughts on it

Brighty
    Interesting thought.
    My bike looks like this - not sure if thats the one your friend had as well.
    http://velospec.com/i/db/specialized...-2006-full.jpg
    http://velospec.com/bikes/specialize...ckprodisk-2006

I did think of getting new bike but mine is worth £100 at most I recon in a condition its in, maybe £125. £300 on parts +£100 to fit them gets me to £500.
    Where I'll get decent bike with good quality running gear (at least Deore I wanted to get or SLX)? All the bikes I looked at are much more than that.

And I can't use cycle to work scheme as I run my own ltd company.
    Thats why I though upgrading on existing frame is a way to go...

oh and as for the current spec on the bike - its not very good either - hayes sole brakes are rubbish and running gear is worn out so really needs replacing (dropping chain, not precise shifting etc). I recon new Deore or SLX would be like night and day on this bike. I tried regulating it but its still rubbish.

what sort of weight saving would I have with newer frame ? considering its going to be used on trails I thought that solid frame would give me reassurance that its not going to break in two when jumping etc.
    Last edited by mac83; 1st May 2014 at 15:00.

Can your ltd company buy you a bike?

If you could find a tax efficient way of buying, you could get something like the very well spec'd (mix of deore and XT, plus the v good reba fork) boardman pro from Halfords for £999, which after tax savings and selling your hardrock could end up costing you near enough the same as a deore upgrade on your 8 yr old hardrock.

Brighty
    Last edited by Brighty; 1st May 2014 at 15:22.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Can your ltd company buy you a bike?

If you could find a tax efficient way of buying, you could get something like the very well spec'd (mix of deore and XT, plus the v good reba fork) boardman pro from Halfords for £999, which after tax savings and selling your hardrock could end up costing you near enough the same as a deore upgrade on your 8 yr old hardrock.

Brighty
    not tax efficient if you're on the basic salary ;-) could purchase via company but I'm on FRS VAT so couldn't reclaim so saving is only 20% and potentially could cause problem due to "dual use" rule when looked at by HMRC.... but thats off topic.... ;-)

I looked at that boardman for £999 and and its got mix of Deore/SLX components so its just a frame that would differ....

I've not been out on many different bikes so its hard for me to imagine how a lighter bike would feel.

Journeyman
    What about something like this;

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1551384/

Great bikes, those 901s. It'll be a world away from your hardrock that's for sure.

Halfords website says deore/xt? Anyway, just used the boardman as an example of what you could get, not a recommendation for that exact model, although they are well thought of and well spec'd for the price. It would be a fair bit lighter, i believe the boardman is 12kg, dunna what your hardrock is, probably 14-15kg? It's not all about the weight though. Once you've replaced the drivetrain and brakes, what about the fork? The marzocchi mz's, if that's what you have, weren't the best to start with, and at 8 yrs old will be in need of a good service if not replacement, to buy the same forks as on the boardman would cost about £300 plus fitting for example. You could end up spending quite a bit getting your hardrock up and running.

Brighty

Master
    Unless the components are not working, why not just ride the thing then decide whether to upgrade them or the bike?

ETA: and assuming you're happy with the frame the next usual upgrade is the wheels
    Last edited by ism123; 1st May 2014 at 19:49.

Apprentice
    I agree with ism123... Ride it as is... Replace those bits that are worn or failing. If you get properly back into it later buy a new lighter bike and it'll be like letting the brakes off.