closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: snorers- the greatest invention ever in history ever, ever

Master
    sorry i can't help as to how tight to wear it as I've never used one and my wife's working nights so i can't ask her I'm afraid.

Im glad its working for some and sorry to hear its not working for others, maybe you can let us know if the money back guarantee thing actually works

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    Sound like BS to me. In cases where it "works" it probably does so by being uncomfortable and thus interfering with how the person normally sleeps - perhaps causing them to move around more.

I wanted to see if there was any basis to the "scientific" claims, and found this from a thread on another forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...28&postcount=5

Unfortunately the original is gone from the ASA site, otherwise I'd have linked to the original. I don't know why they only seem to retain records for a few years. It seems like keeping that information in the public domain should be part of their remit.

As for the money back guarantee, it likely involves a lot of unwarranted hassle, plus the cost of return postage. They also insist that you try for at least 2 weeks. By that time if it hasn't worked, they know most people won't bother claiming the refund, so they aren't really going to lose money, especially compared to the extra sales gained because of it.

As for the whole "meridians" mumbo jumbo, this is among the more tenuous aspects of Chinese traditional medicine. Even my taiji instructor doesn't believe in it. Pressure points are certainly very real, but the whole business of energy lines connecting certain extremities to your heart, liver, etc., is at best "unproven". I say this as someone with enough of an interest in the subject to own a couple of books by Erle Montaigue. Doesn't mean I believe every word of it.

Also, while there may be a few "testimonials" floating around, assuming that most of them aren't fake, anecdotes are not scientific data. There's apparently a "scientific" study that they themselves funded, but I couldn't find the actual paper anywhere so remain highly skeptical of its findings. The only thing I could find on the Aspen research site was a page showing how much PR their "study" had got their client:

http://www.aspenclinical.com/aspen-c...ng-ring-study/

No link to the actual published paper. Does this seem like a reputable scientific body, or PR agency masquerading as one?
    i suspect you're right about how it works, the two pressure points are over the digital nerves that run down the finger, i doubt if this is coincidence

i guess it causes just enough pain so you sleep lighter and so when you start to snore you causes yourself to stir, there are other anti snoring devices that do the same thing

if you're waking up feeling fine and not getting sleepy during the day then i figure it's a success, i would guess it needs to be tight enough to causes a small amount of pain and if you wear it all the time it would damage the nerves ( they hate pressure)

Just received mine today and i put it on about half an hour ago. We shall see how it goes......

Master
    It's a genius piece of marketing for what appears to be, on the face of it, a one size fits all tacky ring with wonky bits inside

Grasping at straws, I've got one on the way too as I'm currently in the spare room though! We'll see.

Just wait until i bring my toe ring to market. You wear it and don't want to smoke any more. Shit works' fo real'.

Dat self hypnosis...
    Last edited by studly; 8th May 2014 at 13:12.

First night with the device was rubbish, worse than normal. Hopefully might improve with time.

WEll, wore it for the first time on Wednesday night and again last night (tonight?). The Mrs says my snoring has significantly reduced but i cannot sleep past 3 'o' clock. Woke up at that time yesterday, tossed and turned for an hour before resigning myself to the fact that i should get up or my fidgeting will wake the Mrs, same thing today. I'll persevere.

Missus bought me one.
    Failure so far.
    But will persevere, as i am told my snoring is bad..
    Some solution is needed to what should be an easy problem to fix???

Mine didn't work for me, so if anyone wants to take a punt at £10.00 posted you can have it.

It's a medium.

Now sold - thanks
    Last edited by andy tims; 7th June 2014 at 14:55.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Trouble now is my cat was seen playing with it (daughter 1 or 2 must have pushed it off the bannister) and the ring has disappeared . .
    Has your cat stopped snoring? If so I think the mystery is solved :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan83bz View Post
    Placebo ?

That was my guess too. Though the placebo effect is well established.

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire
    I'm in the spare room due to sounding like a rhino, I'm thinking of going down the Somnowell route, trouble is it's £1250. That eats into the new watch fund.

Quote Originally Posted by toastie View Post
    snorers- the greatest invention ever in history ever, ever...
    ...is unlikely to be a little rubber ring.

Unless you have an underlying medical condition which causes you to snore (e.g. a crooked nasal cavity), losing weight & getting fit is a far more realistic way in which alleviate or even eliminate snoring.

It may require more effort than slipping a rubber ring onto your finger; but on the plus side doing so may actually work.

I can't believe all you sceptics. Science is supposed to be about trying stuff to see if it works, not just dismissing it as mumbo-jumbo. Why would all these people say it worked if it didn't? And if it didn't work for you then you're probably just doing it wrong.

Next you'll be telling us vaccines are safe and not just a scam created by big pharmaceutical companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
    I can't believe all you sceptics. Science is supposed to be about trying stuff to see if it works, not just dismissing it as mumbo-jumbo. Why would all these people say it worked if it didn't? And if it didn't work for you then you're probably just doing it wrong.
    No, science is about reproducibility. Anecdotes are not data. Just because something appears to work for someone doesn't mean it will work for anyone else. If you disagree, I'll happily sell you a rock that is scientifically guaranteed to prevent 100% of tiger attacks. I can prove it, because I've never been attacked by a tiger the whole time I've had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
    Next you'll be telling us vaccines are safe and not just a scam created by big pharmaceutical companies.
    In case you're being serious, I hope you're not encouraging "freeloading" at the possible expense of herd immunity: http://op12no2.me/toys/herd/index.php?scenario=intro

You also might want to read this, it's a good summary of the current situation and how we got here: http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...ation-movement

If it's about "reproducibility" then surely we would visit the moon again? And sometimes you only get one chance, like in life, so you can't expect us to live again in order to try something else. The snoring rings work, you just need to be less negative.

Ah, I can't even be bothered. I thought it was obvious - surely the vaccine thing made it clear?!
    50% of the time I am being sarcastic 100% of the time.
    Last edited by Mortis; 12th June 2014 at 23:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan83bz View Post
    Placebo ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    That was my guess too. Though the placebo effect is well established.
    Does the Placebo effect work while someone is asleep?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Does the Placebo effect work while someone is asleep?
    As far as I know, there's no research to suggest the placebo effect affects someone else (i.e., a partner). Still, given that there is evidence the effect is present even if the recipient is told "this is a placebo", I wouldn't be surprised if there is some (probably tiny) effect on partners - what you might call the "I want to believe effect". However, I don't think it's the placebo effect here. I think it's just clever marketing and misleading pseudoscience.

After several years of suffering with my snoring I thought I owed it to my wife to find a solution. So where do you go for the ultimate snoring advice? TZ of course!

I found this thread and was intrigued. Not wanting to waste £30 on the version quoted here in case it didn't work, I opted for one from Holland & Barrett for £11.95 delivered. Same deal; an adjustable unobtrusive ring worn on the little finger of the right hand.

Well....it worked from the first night! It's truly amazing. I've worn it now for 12 nights in a row and it has worked for 11 of them. The other night I'd had a few beers and it didn't work which is actually what it says might happen in the instructions.

I feel more awake in the mornings too and I never thought it was having an effect on my sleep.

Amazing....go get one snorers!

David

Master
    thats great news mate, my wife still wears hers every night and its as peaceful as can be. Unless she's been on a night out with the girls but snoring is the least of my problems then!

Master
    Got one from H&B on Sunday. Wore it since Sunday night. It is definitely working.
    Thanks.

Waiting for mine!

I've gone down the H&B route too

I think I might order one and give it a go. Wifey has suffered enough.

Grand Master
    so...are these still working for people?
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Going to order one, anything is worth a go. Driving the wife mad, feeling rough as a dog many mornings, I even woke the kids a few times who are in other rooms.

I've tried melt strips, spay and now nose strips. Been to my GP once and was told NHS won't deal with snoring. Wife mentioned it to her GP who asked for me to return, now been referred to E N & T, waiting to be seen later in March. In the mean time it's taken an awful stain on all of us.

Any updates from ring buyers would be great.

Master
    Popped into Holland & Barrett after work and picked up a ring. Read the instructions, fitted 30 minutes before sleep time and................

didn't work for me, awoke by my daughter at 3am "Daaaaaaaad! Stop snoring" bear in mind she sleeps the other side of the house. I will keep going with the ring and report back.

^ doesn't sound promising.
    I've ordered one of these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s00
    At £8 worth a go I thought, will update here after I've tried it...

Master
    That looks very similar. I think I need to check the sizing on my one.

I should add that reading the instructions they say it won't always work straight off the bat for some, so I'm going to give it a go for a few weeks.

Master
    My wife still wears hers every night and I'm glad to say it still works, the only time it isn't as successful is if she's been drinking.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toastie View Post
    My wife still wears hers every night and I'm glad to say it still works, the only time it isn't as successful is if she's been drinking.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.
    No problem, I know how difficult it can be to live with a constant snorer, my wife has been through the whole nhs scenario and been told they can see the issue but the operation to fix it is no longer available on the nhs although she could pay to have it done privately.
    Her normal routine is to put the ring on and relax in bed for half an hour ish before she goes to sleep, as I say for the most part it's working, the only times we have an issue is if we go out and she drinks alcohol or when she's changes her shift pattern from nights back to days and she gets shattered there can sometimes but not always be an issue. It's definitely worth a go in my opinion especially if they are still offering the money back guarantee.
    We went away for a weekend a few weeks back and she forgot to bring the ring with her and I can honestly say if I could have sourced one local to where we stayed she would have got another one as I had the 2 worst nights sleep for a long time

I'm tempted - I got rolled over last night and woken to be told I was snoring my head off

I've been using mine sporadically as the snoring pretty much stopped after wearing it regularly. That might have been a mistake!

It's been getting worse and my wife said last night that it was shocking. I'm wrecked today and she's exhausted. Not good.

I read that wearing one on each little finger helps so I might buy another and make sure I wear them every night. I also had a drink last night and it's always worse with alcohol.

Chinese medicine is bullshit, and in many cases dangerous bullshit. This is no exception. There's no credible science to back it up, and the ASA actually ruled that an advert claiming it 'stopped snoring' had to be withdrawn, because it doesn't. Whatever effect it does have is placebo.

Why is this 'dangerous' bullshit?

...and just how would a psychological, placebo effect stop snoring in about 70% of users?

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Chinese medicine is bullshit, and in many cases dangerous bullshit. This is no exception. There's no credible science to back it up, and the ASA actually ruled that an advert claiming it 'stopped snoring' had to be withdrawn, because it doesn't. Whatever effect it does have is placebo.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    ...and just how would a psychological, placebo effect stop snoring in about 70% of users?
    Please cite a published, peer-reviewed clinical study which shows this. (Don't underestimate the placebo effect, by the way; it's real, and very powerful. But in order for something to be considered medicine, it has to demonstrate a significant benefit over a placebo. Snoring rings can't do this.)

Red face So your faith in the placebo effect is as strong as others' faith in...

...Chinese medicine. :)

Don't underestimate the placebo effect, by the way; it's real, and very powerful...

Craftsman
    I'm sorry, but I don't agree - it may not be evidence based in trials, but it equally does seem to help some people, judging from the replies above. Even if it doesn't work, how is that 'dangerous bullshit'? I also don't get how it can have a placebo effect when the person wearing it is asleep when (if) it works?

I'm certainly thinking of getting one this weekend - my snoring isn't bad, but it's enough to disturb my girlfriend, who in turn wakes me to move, and so we both have disrupted sleep. I don't smoke, drink (almost at all) and am not overweight. I have no allergies or nasal congestion, so really, there's not a lot left for me to try - the mandibular advancement devices, that have been proven to help, are a lot more expensive and (I would imagine) a lot more uncomfortable to wear. If it doesn't work, then I'm out less than a tenner - not bad as far as a gamble goes, from my point of view.

I will report back :)

Quote Originally Posted by SpydieNut View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't agree
    It doesn't really make any difference whether you agree or not. This is a matter of reality, not opinion.

Don't let me stop you using faith-based medicines if you want to (though, as I say, some Chinese herbal 'remedies' are actually toxic and dangerous). Just be aware that that's what it is.

Blog Entries
    This is a matter of reality, not opinion.
    In reality, many people find that they stop snoring if they use this item.

If reality counts, as of course it should, then surely you cannot be choosy about when you respect it and when you do not.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 9th March 2016 at 08:05.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I've been using mine sporadically as the snoring pretty much stopped after wearing it regularly. That might have been a mistake!

It's been getting worse and my wife said last night that it was shocking. I'm wrecked today and she's exhausted. Not good.

I read that wearing one on each little finger helps so I might buy another and make sure I wear them every night. I also had a drink last night and it's always worse with alcohol.
    Wore mine last night and wife reports improvement. I feel more rested today. I can only report on my experience.

Master
    Wonder if this actually works, expensive I guess but if it cures completely might be worth looking into (assuming your snoring is bad enough I guess....)

http://www.somnowell.com/

It doesn't really make any difference whether you agree or not. This is a matter of reality, not opinion.

Don't let me stop you using faith-based medicines if you want to (though, as I say, some Chinese herbal 'remedies' are actually toxic and dangerous). Just be aware that that's what it is.
    That's right it doesn't really make any difference where you/we agree or not. However, if it is a matter of reality the reality is; whatever is happening here, placebo/tunia acupressure technique /tea leaves or small purple men standing on the moors looking at the moon, the device appears to work for a number of those who have responded.

Your allowing those using faith-based medicines to continue is commendable but to change the tack of the subject to toxic and dangerous "remedies", when the discussion is about an innocuous ring on the little finger, is risible. I think the intelligence level here is higher than your think. Let's put this into some perspective, X Ray and Chemotherapy is pretty toxic and dangerous but the end sometimes justifies the means.

I'm one of the biggest sceptics on this but for me and so my darling wife can get a good night's sleep, I'll give it a go.
    Last edited by findo-400; 9th March 2016 at 10:13.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'. If it really works, sooner or later a scientific study will demonstrate that beyond doubt. To my knowledge no such study exists. Strictly speaking, therefore, we should regard these claims as 'not proven'.

However, if I said I had a special ring that made me invisible, yet for some reason I was unwilling or unable to demonstrate this effect under controlled conditions, I think you could be forgiven for assuming that, on the balance of probabilities, it was bullshit.

The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'. If it really works, sooner or later a scientific study will demonstrate that beyond doubt. To my knowledge no such study exists. Strictly speaking, therefore, we should regard these claims as 'not proven'.

However, if I said I had a special ring that made me invisible, yet for some reason I was unwilling or unable to demonstrate this effect under controlled conditions, I think you could be forgiven for assuming that, on the balance of probabilities, it was bullshit.
    Personally, I have no idea what you are talking about (and that's not a cue for a more detailed explanation though, please) but I do read that genuine people on here who I've found to be "in general more sceptical than most" have reported improvement.

Yes a sort of "left at the lights" kind of thought process for me too (Rings that make you invisible!! - Can we keep it plausible if not scientifically possible).

To reiterate;
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Ergo In reality, it has been demonstrated beyond doubt - scientific study or not. A number of people who have worn these rings have stopped snoring - fact.

The rub for you, it would seem, is the "scientific proof" as to how the "relief" has come about and possibly sooner or later someone in the scientfic community may see fit to investigate and research the reasoning behind the clear reality that, for some people, clamping a non toxic and innocuous ring on one's digitus minimus manus gives, not only the wearer but their bedfellow, a peaceful night.
    Last edited by findo-400; 9th March 2016 at 13:03.

Quote Originally Posted by findo-400 View Post

In reality, many people find that they stop snoring if they use this item. Ergo it has been demonstrated beyond doubt scientific study or not.
    Again, as bitfield said, plural of anecdote is not data. If they can't prove in a scientific study that it works better than placebo it is not "demonstrated beyond doubt"

You can call it what you want as long as it works who cares!
    As it's otherwise harmless and for the sake of £8 I think it's worth a go.
    In other news, I've received mine today and I'm sending it back as the large is way too big for me, not sure if I now need a medium or maybe even a small.
    More updates to follow....

Sure this little device is harmless (if the snoring isn't caused by an underlying condition that isn't treated), but the belief that anecdotal evidence constitutes proof is.

Many occurances of ppl being injured or killed using non-evidence based treatments instead of seeking medical assistance or taking medicine proven to work.

Quote Originally Posted by meijlinder View Post
    Again, as bitfield said, plural of anecdote is not data. If they can't prove in a scientific study that it works better than placebo it is not "demonstrated beyond doubt"
    I'm now bored but happy in the knowledge that we have a concerned cohort to keep us safe from the "alternative medics".

Going for a nap...wake me if I snore. (Now where's that flippin' ringy thingy)