closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: new door locks

Master

new door locks

Well i think its time to give in and get a new lock for the front door as I'm fed up wiggling the key to lock/unlock every time i use it, its a euro lock and I've seen some talk about the ABS euro locks but are they actually any better, will they last any longer before they wear and the keys don't fit anymore, are the keys expensive to get cut and can somewhere like timpsons cut them or do i have to get it done at an online abs dealer, and lastly where is the best place to get them? maybe its just me but i feel a bit "unsafe" ordering locks online and having them sent to my home address but paying on a card or using paypal there isn't any other option unless i get a mate to buy them and i'll give him the cash or am i just paranoid?

Journeyman
    a bit paranoid, just order them and fit yourself imo

Have you tried lubing the lock? Makes a big difference...
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Yeah it's had lube in it on a regular basis but it really is in tatters I think mate I've lived here 10 years and it was here when I moved in so it's done well

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toastie View Post
    Yeah it's had lube in it on a regular basis but it really is in tatters I think mate I've lived here 10 years and it was here when I moved in so it's done well

Oil is no good you need graphite

Master
    No idea what it was but I got it from my local locksmith company it wasn't oil though

Master
    I had Euro cylinders in my old place and after the Watchdog programme (I think) where they showed how easy it is to break in, I ordered these from this site and fitted them myself - took 15 mins and they tick all the boxes: http://www.toughlock.co.uk/ABSavocet.htm

Master
    yep thats the ones i want mate, are you pleased with them?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toastie View Post
    yep thats the ones i want mate, are you pleased with them?
    Yes, they were very easy to fit and the added security they offer really made me feel a lot safer. You get 3 keys and can order additional spares at the time of ordering the locks plus you get a card with a special security code if you want to order more keys in the future. They were more expensive than some of the others I saw but from what I could see they are some of the best around and spending £60 on a new lock is a small price to pay when you're talking about your safety and security.

Craftsman
    From your Avatar I notice you’re in Dorset, if you’re anywhere near Parkstone, Poole go to Ashley Securities on Ashley Road. They stock most types of Euro locks & they are easy to change yourself unusually just requiring a Phillips screwdriver/Allen key. If you’re not sure of the specific type take it out first & they will match it at the shop for you.

IMHO standard Euro locks are good enough security wise as most thieving scumbags don’t have the brains to pick even a simple lock preferring to break/jemmy windows & doors open. That said, if you can afford a better lock it can only add to your security & peace of mind.

Master
    Yeah I know Ashley securities we use them a lot at work for keys etc, was a much better place when all the old guys work there but it's been taken over by another company now who don't seem to me to be as good.
    I'm not worried about changing them I've changed them many times in the past it's just which ones to go for and the abs ones look like a nice bit of kit to me for not much more money but Ashley's don't stock them

Master
    We used Evva 3KS+ euro cylinders.

Have them master key'd so we have one key that fits all the locks in out London flat and our holiday home, plus we have keys that only open the flat locks, holiday home, holiday home garden.

It means we can leave keys with neighbours / porter / gardener etc and know that they can only access given areas.

The Mrs wasn't convinced but when I cut her key wallet down from six keys to one she saw the light. Though obviously not the cheapest option.