closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Oysterquartz Datejust 17014

Craftsman

Rolex Oysterquartz Datejust 17014

Hello All,

I have just acquired this watch

There is no history so I am trying to find out as much as I can from the case markings. Any reference sites out there?

It is in good condition in the main and running.

The integrated bracelet has a clasp reference 62510H. Any advice on the fine adjustment on the clasp would be appreciated.

Regards.

Bob

Blog Entries
    Oh lovely. Sorry, no hard details to add, other than that I have two OQs now, a 17013 and a 17014, and absolutely love them. Congratulations on your purchase.

Looking very good, ive always like Quartz Rolex's.

Looks good. Do all Rolex with quartz movements have 'ticking' (ie 60 beats per minute) seconds hands?

Nice looking Oysterquartz, I've always thought the Rolex quartz models a bit quirky but nowadays I really like the look and the history. Thanks for sharing

Master
    Blog Entries
    I found www.oysterquartz.nl an interesting site.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Oh, and oysterquartz.net

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Oh, and oysterquartz.net
    That's the best resource on OQs that I've come across as well.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the comments and links.

I think that the movement is quick set.

It seems the bezel is white gold. The clasp adjustment is clear having had a closer look; a spring bar.

So far wearing very comfortably.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobar View Post
    Thanks for the comments and links.
    I think that the movement is quick set.
    Affirmative.

It seems the bezel is white gold.
    Affirmative.

The clasp adjustment is clear having had a closer look; a spring bar.
    So far wearing very comfortably.
    Bob
    Enjoy. The design is seriously underappreciated; in many ways it's Rolex at its purest. OQs kick ass all over the place.

Journeyman
    Looks great. I have always liked the integrated bracelet. Looks a bit like watches designed by Gerald Genta.

Quote Originally Posted by Qristian View Post
    Looks great. I have always liked the integrated bracelet. Looks a bit like watches designed by Gerald Genta.
    Which in turn resemble the OQs predecessors:

image source: oysterquartz.net

Agreed that it's a good look.

Craftsman
    An update.

I wandered into the Rolex service centre in St. James's Square on Friday. One of the screws holding the clasp in place had fallen out.

A very helpful young lady supplied the following information.

The watch has a production date of 1st November 1982. The clasp, whilst a Rolex one, is not original. It is dated 1981.

Battery changes occur every 2-2.5 years. A service is recommended on the third change.

The missing screw was replaced and all the remaining screws removed and replaced using loctite to assist security. All without any charge.

I left feeling very impressed with the place.

Bob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobar View Post
    An update.

I wandered into the Rolex service centre in St. James's Square on Friday. One of the screws holding the clasp in place had fallen out.

A very helpful young lady supplied the following information.

The watch has a production date of 1st November 1982. The clasp, whilst a Rolex one, is not original. It is dated 1981.

Battery changes occur every 2-2.5 years. A service is recommended on the third change.

The missing screw was replaced and all the remaining screws removed and replaced using loctite to assist security. All without any charge.

I left feeling very impressed with the place.

Bob
    I love to hear of good service stories. So often we hear only the negatives.
    Lovely OQ BtW - I'm trying to pare down my collection, but the OQ is one that keeps tempting me.
    Maybe it's the novelty (rarity?), or just that fantastic case & integrated bracelet. One day maybe?

z

If people don't mind, may I ask the Oysterquartz lovers' opinions of this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-Rolex...item27e40cd7df

It is proving very hard to find a full set, blue dial OQ from a UK dealer. So much so that I'm now starting to look abroad. Prices do seem to vary wildly; very expensive in France and Belgium, a little cheaper in the US. But of course I'm wary of being hoodwinked.

Any thoughts gratefully received. Thanks.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonimoroni View Post
    If people don't mind, may I ask the Oysterquartz lovers' opinions of this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-Rolex...item27e40cd7df

It is proving very hard to find a full set, blue dial OQ from a UK dealer. So much so that I'm now starting to look abroad. Prices do seem to vary wildly; very expensive in France and Belgium, a little cheaper in the US. But of course I'm wary of being hoodwinked.

Any thoughts gratefully received. Thanks.
    It's not the worst I've seen but certainly not the best. The bracelet looks to have a lot of wear. You can see some rather nasty gaps between the links. It's the worst OQ bracelet I've seen. The bracelet is one of the joys of the OQ and I couldn't live with that one. The bevels on the edge of the bracelet and to a certain extent the case, look a bit indistinct. It may have been polished at some time which is usually bad news, very few people can polish those edges properly. The hour hand is too wide and is from another watch. It should be the same width as the minute hand.

It is quite rare to get box and papers with an Oysterquartz and this one has the OQ brown leather and outer card box. Later examples had generic Rolex boxes.

I'd say the price is extremely optimistic, especially for a US watch. If you factor in VAT it's really too expensive.

There are good Oysterquartzs out there at reasonable prices but if you insist on a blue dial you are narrowing the field quite a bit. Finding a pristine blue dial example with box and papers could be a long wait.
    Last edited by andymac66; 19th May 2014 at 19:42.

Thank you so much for your detailed answer. You've given me some key things to look out for in the future. And you're right, it's taking longer than I hoped, but I'm patient. I also agree with you about the bracelet. It's a thing of beauty.

This one looked gorgeous but I couldn't afford the asking price. It was around 4k USD: http://www.analogshift.com/products/...-dial-full-kit

The search goes on.
    Last edited by Tonimoroni; 20th May 2014 at 07:32. Reason: Link added

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Looks good. Do all Rolex with quartz movements have 'ticking' (ie 60 beats per minute) seconds hands?
    Yes, I believe they do.