closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How hardy is the Spring Drive?

Master
    Blog Entries

How hardy is the Spring Drive?

Evening all,
    I've got silly ideas in my head about slotting a Spring Drive movement into my work watch.
    However, I'm not too sure how it will take the knocks.
    Anybody have any experience of how it will cope?
    Thanks in advance
    Dave

Blog Entries
    Unless I've got the wrong end of the stick, where will you get the movement?

Craftsman
    They put them in side marine master s so must be fairly robust as they are serious tool watches.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Unless I've got the wrong end of the stick, where will you get the movement?
    I've got a watch with a spring drive movement in it.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Where do you source the movements from?

I've an SBDB005 Landmaster with the Spring Drive movement. Subjectively, it's been fine - I've worn it most days for 6 months, and it's not missed a beat. So that's gym or swim in the mornings, then work, then rough and tumble with two small kids. It's always felt tough and resilient. I've no reason to think that it'll be less hardy than an automatic movement. (It's also only gained about 4 seconds in that time.)

I have used a Spring Drive GMT for daily wear for work over the past year and it has been excellent and remarkably accurate. It replaced an Oysterquartz which did similar service over 30 years albeit on an alternating daily basis, and I have every confidence the SD will prove just as reliable. It is not generally in an environment where it is be subject to vibration or shocks save the bumps and knocks of normal daily use which it deals with without problem.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I've got a watch with a spring drive movement in it.
    Ah! :-)

Interesting idea to take it out of its original home and put it in another case.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Ah! :-)

Interesting idea to take it out of its original home and put it in another case.
    The first generation moon fase models like with the pinkish dial are imo best ´recycled´. You can find a well used one for project base money.
    I have been looking at a project like this too but decided that I do not like the spring drive idea one jota. Imo by adding the main spring one gets a pre electric watch retrograde quartz which with auto is unneccessary heavy, thick, complicated, vulnerable.
    So although the donor watches are there, I aborted the idea.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    The first generation moon fase models like with the pinkish dial are imo best ´recycled´. You can find a well used one for project base money.
    Whereabouts? I can't say I've been looking but this sounds interesting now you mention it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I paid a fair whack for the donor watch but its got the GMT hand as well. I've had the idea for a while and am looking forward to the results. However, there is quite a lot of mucking around to do. I need to sort out the date wheel orientation / colour, manufacture the new stem, remove the power reserve hand, find a new hand set (can anybody tell me the hand sizes?) and produce a new 24 hr chapter ring. Also, check that the new movement has t got a massive stack height so it fouls the crystal.
    Easy really :(

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I paid a fair whack for the donor watch but its got the GMT hand as well. I've had the idea for a while and am looking forward to the results. However, there is quite a lot of mucking around to do. I need to sort out the date wheel orientation / colour, manufacture the new stem, remove the power reserve hand, find a new hand set (can anybody tell me the hand sizes?) and produce a new 24 hr chapter ring. Also, check that the new movement has t got a massive stack height so it fouls the crystal.
    Easy really :(
    Blimey. I was thinking that it would be a not insignificant job to make such a movement fit a different case.

Master
    Blog Entries
    To be fair though, a lot of the work is because I want to retain the original dial. That leads to the date wheel problem, (also I forgot, the hole for the hands will probably want enlarging). I'm not even sure if the date wheels will be the same diameter but I'm hoping Seiko have some kind of standardisation.

I've also got to find somebody to do the work if anybody has any suggestions?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Whereabouts? I can't say I've been looking but this sounds interesting now you mention it.
    Seen a battered one on ebay.de go for véry little. It was that one that sparked the thought. But that was the exception.
    They do appear with regularity at the japanese auction sites.