closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommend me a Router please

Recommend me a Router please

After many years of good service, my Billion router has finally started playing up :-(

I'm with BT, live in the sticks so my ADSL max's out at 8mb, can anyone recommend a decent replacement?

WiFi coverage is a must as I live in a decent size bungalow which is long. Amazon is usually a good place to look but what with all the other varieties of "router" it is hard to locate a BT one!

Cheers lads!

I've got a BThomehub3 you can have if it helps you out?

Get BT to send you one. You may have to renew your contract for a year to get one free but if you aren't planning on changing it's a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by mrwozza70 View Post
    I've got a BThomehub3 you can have if it helps you out?
    What a nice gesture! That would be great and would allow me plenty of time to do more research, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Get BT to send you one. You may have to renew your contract for a year to get one free but if you aren't planning on changing it's a no brainer.
    Tried this, sadly I renewed at Christmas to get BT Sport for free so they are refusing :-(

No problem... thats what i thought.

PM me with your details and I'll post it out later today.

Blog Entries
    Zyxel has been a consistently good brand imo.

I've had a Billion 7800N for several years. Fantastic bit of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    I've had a Billion 7800N for several years. Fantastic bit of kit.
    This is the model I have, but recently it has been a bit flaky, having to reboot it every day :-(

I have also bought a Billion BiPAC 3100SN extender but you need a degree in IT to set the thing up! It is getting dusty at the moment in my IT cupboard.......

Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    This is the model I have, but recently it has been a bit flaky, having to reboot it every day :-(

I have also bought a Billion BiPAC 3100SN extender but you need a degree in IT to set the thing up! It is getting dusty at the moment in my IT cupboard.......
    How old is it? I think they come with a 2yr warranty. I had mine replaced FOC a few years back as I kept having connectivity problems (it was 18 months old at the time)

Draytek - top kit.

Makita and Festool are generally well regarded. Ryobi used to make a good one. We are talking joinery arent we?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    Draytek - top kit.
    Yup, I used to supply only Draytek when ADSL first took off but less so now. I think they are now most beneficial if you have a particularly sophisticated requirement.

Can anyone recommend a fibre optic router? The free Talk Talk one's wifi is so much weaker than my old adsl one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    Makita and Festool are generally well regarded. Ryobi used to make a good one. We are talking joinery arent we?
    You cant beat and old Elu from before Dewalt took them over

Master
    Why not stick with Billion if you've been happy with the product so fa, are there extra features you want but can't get via there product?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Can anyone recommend a fibre optic router? The free Talk Talk one's wifi is so much weaker than my old adsl one.
    Would I be correct in saying that you want an Ethernet-to-Ethernet router to plug into an existing VDSL modem supplied by the ISP? Or do TT supply routers with integrated VDSL modems (as is common with ADSL)?

Master
    wrong reply

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Would I be correct in saying that you want an Ethernet-to-Ethernet router to plug into an existing VDSL modem supplied by the ISP? Or do TT supply routers with integrated VDSL modems (as is common with ADSL)?
    Unfortunately they don't supply integrated modem routers yet, so this is really what I'm looking for, to save having two boxes plugged in all the time and for better wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by Chabsy View Post
    You cant beat and old Elu from before Dewalt took them over
    Ah!...You mean from the days when tools were designed to last, rather than the consumables many are today...a bit like fibre optic routers I imagine.

I've run the router gauntlet and arrived at the very German sounding Fritz! Box (their exclamation mark, not mine)
    Solid, reliable, fast and does everything but answer the door for you.
    Can't recommend them enough ;)

http://www.fritzbox.eu/en/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Wexford View Post
    I've run the router gauntlet and arrived at the very German sounding Fritz! Box (their exclamation mark, not mine)
    Solid, reliable, fast and does everything but answer the door for you.
    Can't recommend them enough ;)

http://www.fritzbox.eu/en/index.php
    Looks good, do any of them work with fibre optic?

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately they don't supply integrated modem routers yet, so this is really what I'm looking for, to save having two boxes plugged in all the time and for better wifi.
    I'd look at something from Zyxel. I think this link, http://www.zyxel.com/uk/en/products_..._cpe.shtml?t=c, should take you to the right place. It's in the 'DSL CPE' section of their website. You can then filter by 'VDSL' to see only routers with integrated VDSL.

Retail sourcing these VDSL-integrated routers might be a tad difficult (because most people go for Ethernet-to-Ethernet routers to plug into the separate ISP-supplied VDSL modem for FTTC installations) but it should not be impossible.

I must also add that although I am very familiar with Zyxel routers (ADSL, E-to-E, even ISDN back in the day) and I like them very much I have never configured a VDSL-integrated router with a FTTC installation. It should be possible though.

Blog Entries
    Looks good, do any of them work with fibre optic?
    Just to add to the conversation about Fritz!Box routers, I've not had any experience with them but I know some ISPs supply them as an optional choice and I have heard users say good things about them.

I just looked at the Fritz!Box website and I see that the 7490, 7390, 7360, 3390 and 3370 all say in the specs and descriptions they support VDSL and G.993.2 (G.993.2 is VDSL2 as used in the UK for FTTC). The 7330's specs mention G.993.2 but the prose description does not mention VDSL; don't know what that signifies, other than perhaps a typo.

Thanks both

With reference to your range extender. These can be quite expensive so I use a couple of D-Link routers flashed with DD-WRT software to set them up as repeater bridges. I just plug them in to a power socket between my main router and any dead spot et voila! The WiFi signal is available again.
    Total cost is about £10 a pop.

Regards,

Si