closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The watch that started the revolution; Omega's first ever quartz production watch

Master

The watch that started the revolution; Omega's first ever quartz production watch

Ive been hunting for some time for a very special watch (to me) and wanted the best example I could possibly find, well I guess it doesn't get any better than new and unworn with boxes and papers and one of the first examples made??

As those of you who know me (or have read my posts know) I love vintage quartz and love Omega, I've owned a great many including a number of very early quartz's. Since it’s introduction back in the late 1960’s quartz technology in wristwatches has revolutionised the watch industry, some would argue being the most significant development in watch making since the invention of the escapement and balance, others (and plenty on here) would moan about them being heartless junk and lacking some sort of horological soul! PPPAAAHH I say!!!!

The first ‘production’ watches appeared from Swiss makers in 1969 sharing what has now become the grandfather of quartz movements, the beta 21, a movement so advanced and expensive to develop and produce it took 16 independent Swiss watch companies working together including Rolex, Patek, IWC and Omega to develop the movement to a production model.

The beta 21 was a work of art, effectively a tuning fork watch, in a mechanical movement controlled by a quartz circuit with a frequency of 8192Khz or to us layman 8192 vibrations per second, at the time giving an unrivalled accuracy of circa 5SPM, far beyond that of even the best Rolex or Omega mechanical movements.

From there on it the quartz movement really took hold, technology developing and changing on an almost monthly basis. Throughout the 1970’s the technology spiraled out of control, new models, new movements and in many cases an almost unbelievable product line up, yes it nearly caused the collapse of the industry but it was an amazing time from both a development and design POV

Ive owned about 10 B21's but have always wanted a perfect example, I got an opportunity to get one recently and this is what materialised, one of the first few hundred to leave the factory (note the very low 31mil serial number) and accompanied by its original test manual, back in the day Omega asked customers to complete a timecard to help them determine accuracy in the field, from what I can gather this was only issued to the first 250 or so watches produced

The watch is keeping time to roughly 2 SPM off the wrist, considerably better than the 5SPM quoted

Anyway, enough rambling, I give you the Omega electroquartz:

Last edited by dickstar1977; 22nd April 2014 at 17:56.

Master
    A great post, and well done in your purchase.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the post, a very interesting read and a wonderful watch!

I love my one of these, a nice early one too, should have it back soon. Apart, that is, from having to remember to leave it somewhere else in the house at night and not on the bedside table!
    "A man of little significance"

Nice one, mate.

Looks like it's been kept in a safe all that time :-) and the bracelet looks great too

Fantastic little read, your passion definitely comes across.

Amazing find. Where on earth do you source one so pristine ??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Amazing find. Where on earth do you source one so pristine ??

Great post great watch.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Congratulation but ..

Quote Originally Posted by dickstar1977 View Post
    The first ‘production’ watches appeared from Swiss makers in 1969 sharing what has now become the grandfather of quartz movements, the beta 21,
    It was not the grandfather of quartz.

It was neither the first nor spawned the quartz revolution. The quartz revolution took off thanks to a completely different architecture.

As accurate as it was it was an evolutionary dead end. The architecture was totally unsuitable for larger scale production and the technology died out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Congratulation but ..

It was not the grandfather of quartz.

It was neither the first nor spawned the quartz revolution. The quartz revolution took off thanks to a completely different architecture.

As accurate as it was it was an evolutionary dead end. The architecture was totally unsuitable for larger scale production and the technology died out.
    Thanks Huertecilla

Agreed on the technology, not dissimilar to the Longines Ultraquartz or many other evolutionary dead ends, even watches like my cherished Marine Chronometers, super accurate, extremely expensive to make and buy and made in comparatively very small numbers.

I could be wrong but I was under the impression the Beta 21 was the first production quartz movement from Swiss manufacturers (which was what I was eluding to)?

From some quick research on the web (text below) it seems the first prototypes of an electronic quartz wristwatch were made by the CEH research laboratory in Neuchâtel, Switzerland. Between 1965 amd 1967 pioneering development work was done on a miniaturized 8192 Hz quartz oscillator, a thermo-compensation module and an inhouse-made, dedicated integrated circuit (unlike the hybrid circuits used in the later Seiko Astron wristwatch).

As a result, the BETA 1 prototype set new timekeeping performance records at the International Chronometric Competition held at the Observatory of Neuchâtel in 1967, I believe these came to market in production format in 1970 and where showcased at the Basel Fair following the project undertaken by the 16 which resulted in the Beta 21 watch, which was in Omegas case the Electroquartz, of which they took a handful of 18K examples to Basel and sold them all at the fair?

The first quartz watch to enter production was the Seiko 35 SQ Astron, which hit the shelves on December 25, 1969, (very shortly before the Swiss Beta 21) just 100 examples went to market in Japan only to allow Seiko to lay claim to 'the first quartz watch', this was followed in 1970 by the release of the Astron 35SQ models upgraded to solid 14K gold cases priced at $1,250, making 1800 pieces up until 1971, Seiko began mass-producing Quartz watches in large quantities with the 38SQ.

As the original technology had been developed by the Swiss, Seiko could not patent the whole movement of the quartz wristwatch, thus allowing other manufacturers to benefit from the technology. This played a major role in the popularity and quick development of the quartz watch, which in less than a decade was dominant in the watch market, nearly ending an almost 100 years of mechanical wristwatch heritage.

It would seem that GP's Cal. 350, which was a development on the basis of the Beta 21 prototypes but used a more advanced design and stepping motor (developed by Socrem of France) which became the staple standard for the quartz industry in Switzerland (50000 units produced under various manufacturers), which was soon overtaken by Seiko and Citizen and the rest is (as they say) history

I know there are some superb books and sources of knowledge such as yourself Huertecilla as well as good old fashioned internet research so I would glady be corrected if I have got my facts wrong, thats the beauty of these communities

Non the less I stand by what I said, from Omegas point of view this watch really did start their frenzy through the 1970's of quartz (amongst their other product lines) revolution, which produced so many great watches but ultimately nearly sank the company comes the early 1980's. My personal passion is Omegas of that period (although I do love the oddities like the Ultraquartz and my good old Oysterquartz) and this was Omegas first production quartz watch and marked a period that really pushed omega in to a foray unrivalled research, development and a product line that was enormous and very diverse.
    Last edited by dickstar1977; 22nd April 2014 at 23:19.

Craftsman
    Very interesting post. I like reading about history of watches, regardless of if I'd ever like to own the particular item.

Master
    Taking aside the tech, it's one of the tastiest looking pieces of the period. I really don't know how you do it, but it's yet another cracker!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It would seem that GP's Cal. 350, which was a development on the basis of the Beta 21 prototypes but used a more advanced design and stepping motor (developed by Socrem of France) which became the staple standard for the quartz industry in Switzerland (50000 units produced under various manufacturers), which was soon overtaken by Seiko and Citizen and the rest is (as they say) history.
    Correct apart from it being based on the Beta 21. It has NOTHING in common. Not the quartz frequency, not the way the oscilator is designed, nor the divider. Not the motor, not the gearing. Nothing.
    For the rest you can look it up in the threads I started on that. They were all manufactured by GP with the mechanical bits by JLC and sold under three and a bit brands only. Breitling was the and a bit, the only one not under the same holding´s umbrella.

The Beta 21 is a very curious part of horologic history. The performance is awesome, the technology illustrating bad management and the developement finances hurt several companies quite severely, including Omega, them perhaps worst of all.

For the rest it is very sad that the wonderfull diversity of early designs became victim of rationalisation.
    I find it a great loss that while the even more archaic and FAR less interesting mechanical architectures are revived, this nostalgic thing has passed over the far more inventive early quartz tech. Logical from the profit pov but isn´t the customer king? Or is that just make belief and are we just followers of watch marketing?
    Several architectures were well worth production and pursuing on the grounds of technical merits. The Beta 21 was certainly one.
    I am glad that Swatch is still producing the thermoquartzes and that they are continuing with their space thingies under the Omega flag. It even homages the LED tech.
    Ditto their pulsomatic under the Hamilton banner. It at least is sómething and deserves hailing by wisdom.

I REALLY congratulate you with the wonderfull early Omegas you collect and even more for sharing them as they are instrumental in sparking the interest for this awesome technology, for this unparalleled period in horology, amongst fellow watch enthusiasts.

Btw., did you buy the books by Lucien Trueb yet? The two interview collections are the dogs bollocks for understanding the quartz revolution and mechanical revival.

Banned
    Blog Entries

TZ-UK files

Here is one thread on the main stream of the swiss quartz revolution: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...rard+perregaux

Using the search function by author with keywords Girard Perregaux, Favre Leuba and Jeager LeCoultre there is more info in here.

Master
    Thanks pal

Not bought the book yet but I need to, I've seen a copy and it's awesome, totally agree with what you are saying and I feel a real sadness that so many people jump on quartz watches and best them without really realising what they represent at the same time as taking huge pride in mass produced (all be it dressed) mechanical movements! Such is life, leaves treasures like these to people with a slightly more eclectic pallet who can snap them up for peanuts by comparison! Happy days

Craftsman
    Love it superb.

Craftsman
    Great catch, Tom !!! And withe the original bracelet - once can sometimes spot them on leater strap, or an ugly non-fittin bracelet, but this one is in "optima forma" !

This is a a watch I several times doubted to buy, but hey, one can buy everything.... ;)

Choises, choises.... ;

But meanwhile I enjoy your pics !

I am very keen to see your complete collection - I guess you have a little Omega HEQ museum :)

I believe "Dickstar" to be an anagram of "Doctor Who". Probably.

And "1977" to be the year he regularly travels to.
    So clever my foot fell off.

What an interesting thread. I am relatively new on here, and I would like to learn more on this subject.
    I sometimes do wonder that quartz are often ignored, while mechanical watches are generally regarded as more desirable, yet so many have cheaply produced very basic movements.

A couple of questions for the experts on here..

Are 'high end' quartz movements such as Grand Seiko and those offered by several of the major Swiss manufacturers really worth the premium prices they command on the high street?

Have mechanical movements generally 'stagnated' - stuck in the past (with some exceptional modern developments, e.g. GS Spring Drive)?

Master
    The condition is astonishing. Has it been refinished or has it simply never been used?

Congratulations either way.

Master
    Thanks all

Nope it has never been refinished it's just never been worn, they do come up now and again, I own a few NOS early quartz, this, a Marine Chronometer 1516, a Stardust and a Marine Chronometer 1511, all never sold (probably the prohibitive price at the time) and as such all came to me new and unworn

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Love these watches! Great post thanks for sharing.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post

Have mechanical movements generally 'stagnated' - stuck in the past (with some exceptional modern developments, e.g. GS Spring Drive)?
    Well generally, thus the vast bulk of, mechanical calibers are at léast 50 year designs, mane wáy older, adapted for automated mass production. The mainstay of Rolex is a prime example if not the oldest.

One notebale main stay exception is the 7750. That was designed/developed as a cheap to mass produce competitor to the upcoming quartz but was hopelessly inaccurate and still too costly in that perspective. Thus it and the tooling/machinery for it was scrapped. The machinery was subsequently bought by GP to make their own mechanical bits for their quartz watches, making them independant from JLC who hitherto manufactured those for them.
    The 'equasion of time' quartz watches they made in house as totally independant are still a high water mark in haute quartz.
    In all aspects haute horlogerie, just quartz accurate.

Anyway, the Beta 21 and subsequent early Omega electronics illustrate the dawn of modern tech haute horlogerie.

The Seiko SpringDrive is a dicutable case as it makes use of electronics and generates it´s own electricity to power the qco.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 24th April 2014 at 12:19.

Great watch, I've often thought about buying into the Beta 21 movement, the Omega models tend to be very good value compared to the other manufacturers that were involved in the development of this movement.

Went past the WoS in Reading yesterday, they had an interesting looking Omega Seamaster Quartz Day Date with Octagonal style case and round dial, good condition but the price was pretty high and they don't always have boxes and papers.

Nice example Tom, thanks for sharing.

Master
    Chris

That either sounds like a Seamaster Mariner 1 Megaquartz or a circa 1979 Omega constellation Quartz Chronometer dress watch running cal 1343, both are lovely pieces but neither watch I would buy from a dealers. The challenge with a lot of these pieces in pawnbrokers or jewellers is they have no idea why to charge, sometimes you can get a bargain (I had a mate pick up a straight lug no cron guard sub in lincoln for £800 last year) but 9/10 you pay through the nose.

sounds like a Seamaster Mariner 1 Megaquartz
    I'm not worthy, having a quick Google (who uses Bing!) for images on this model matches the watch I saw.

Also agree with you on price, I'm not sure they know how to price anything that deviates from the norm, they might get lucky and have someone that will pay silly money to obtain the object of their desire.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    I'm not worthy, having a quick Google (who uses Bing!) for images on this model matches the watch I saw.

Also agree with you on price, I'm not sure they know how to price anything that deviates from the norm, they might get lucky and have someone that will pay silly money to obtain the object of their desire.
    Part of the mystique of Omega Vintage and the reason they charge such enormous premiums, people are not interested in the price form shops like these they are interested in owning something their elite pals don't