closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Bambino = Best value for £100? Any contenders?

Master

Smile Very comfortable on a Nato

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Exactly right. I bought a Bambino and I couldn't fault it for anything except the size. I kept looking at it thinking 'that's just beautiful....but it's too big'. So off it went.

Shame.
    It wears smaller on a Nato,if thats your style and looks pretty damm good too!

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    It wears smaller on a Nato,if thats your style and looks pretty damm good too!
    Actually I only ever wore it on a nato - a nice red/white/blue striped affair - and it was still too big for me. I do wonder though if it would wear smaller in the black dial as I had the white.

David

Thomas Reid
    Although the Orient is a fine watch, I think that the Rondina R005 is a better value, although more derivative.

http://www.good-stuffs.com/Classic-R...T17_p_156.html

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master

Unhappy So many watches so little time

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    Although the Orient is a fine watch, I think that the Rondina R005 is a better value, although more derivative.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    That does look nice ;)

That does look nice ;)
    Nice, but far too much of a copy of a Tangente. I even hear that the 'fakes' you get of the Nomos are this exact same Rodina, from the same chinese factory albeit branded Nomos.

Although I believe that there is a new version of the Rodina coming out that's not exactly the same as the Nomos anymore (http://www.good-stuffs.com/Enhanced-...130_p_217.html). - However it's not more of a copy of the Stowa Antea instead!

Thomas Reid
    Although I think that the Rodina's design is pretty derivative, Nomos weren't exactly the first on the spot with that design. It is a reasonably well trodden path. Here's one that predated Nomos.

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS I take it that this is not a new debate. I knew that there had been watches predating the Nomos with similar design, and hunted for a picture of one. Most I found are referenced in other debates on the Rodina. ;)
    Last edited by rfrazier; 4th June 2014 at 18:21.

Not sure if they've been mentioned before but Alpha do a nice looking 36mm Explorer 1 homage for around 70 quid delivered. Surely that's great value too?

There's a seller on ebay who has the blue dial model in stock. I'm tempted as a late 114270 is my grail but I don't yet have the funds to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Not sure if they've been mentioned before but Alpha do a nice looking 36mm Explorer 1 homage for around 70 quid delivered. Surely that's great value too?

There's a seller on ebay who has the blue dial model in stock. I'm tempted as a late 114270 is my grail but I don't yet have the funds to make it happen.
    Personally speaking, I would never class a blatant copy (sorry 'homage') as being good value, regardless of the price. If it exists purely to be confused with something more exclusive then that's only one small step above wearing a fake in my book. There are plenty of original, good value pieces for those looking for a decent affordable watch.

Quote Originally Posted by ArghZombies View Post
    Personally speaking, I would never class a blatant copy (sorry 'homage') as being good value, regardless of the price. If it exists purely to be confused with something more exclusive then that's only one small step above wearing a fake in my book. There are plenty of original, good value pieces for those looking for a decent affordable watch.
    Happens ALL the time in other sectors (fashion in particular) and clearly no patents/laws are being broken. I personally don't have an issue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ArghZombies View Post
    Personally speaking, I would never class a blatant copy (sorry 'homage') as being good value.
    As a very happy owner of a PRS18 etc I beg to differ m'lud
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master

Quality mesh for Bambino

Guys looking for a quality mesh for my Bambino,trouble is there's so many out there it's confusing,so can only view off website.
    Open strap or deploymant style? Are they easy to size?
    Any suggestions? Sorry to ask so many questions, thanks in advance.
    Last edited by barryw; 5th June 2014 at 21:34.

Master
    Wow, some of those £100 Orients look terrific. That's a helluva lot of watch for the money. How do you think an Orient Chicane or Bambino would compare to, say, a £300 Steinhart in terms of build quality and overall 'feel'?
    Last edited by Dougal; 4th July 2014 at 15:37.

Master
    Can't comment on the Steinhart, but the Bambino is a fantastic watch.
    I bought the black dial, but would love a white version too.I did try a Visodate on the other week and although it was a great watch, i disappointed how bulky it was also it didn't sit as well on my bony wrist.
    The Bambino is very comfy especially on a Nato :-)

Guys looking for a quality mesh for my Bambino,trouble is there's so many out there it's confusing,so can only view off website.
    Open strap or deploymant style? Are they easy to size?
    Any suggestions? Sorry to ask so many questions, thanks in advance.
    I bought this cheapie not long ago and I must say I was not expecting the best...I tend to do that, buy things off eBay after a couple of beers . When it came, I was a bit blown away and now have worn it on 2-3 different watches, including my Alpinist and my Orient Star Sports and it's well worth its price. Be worn though it's not very light, must weight at least 40grams so not really light if that's what you desired.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351043077824

There's also the thinner types, might "work" better with the Bambino:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351060102609
    Last edited by Dan83bz; 5th July 2014 at 21:29.

Wearing my bambino today. Like it a lot but not sure it's a keeper due to the size. It's not huge but my recent taste is for 36 ish mm watches and this one is too close in appearance to my Stowa MO. Maybe the black dial would persuade me more ?...

Quote Originally Posted by rsykes2000 View Post
    Wearing my bambino today. Like it a lot but not sure it's a keeper due to the size. It's not huge but my recent taste is for 36 ish mm watches and this one is too close in appearance to my Stowa MO. Maybe the black dial would persuade me more ?...

Lovely watch in either version. I have the black dial, like the white too.

Master
    I have the black one, think the white looks best though :)
    Have you tried it on a Nato or Raf strap?

I have the black one, think the white looks best though :)
    Have you tried it on a Nato or Raf strap?
    The white ones are back in stock over at creation...

Or at least they were at the weekend, I haven't looked since.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    The white ones are back in stock over at creation...

Or at least they were at the weekend, I haven't looked since.
    I noticed that a week or so ago, but no money at moment :( as funds needed for an Alpinist :)

Following on from the Vostok suggestion on page one, I really like the look of this, though I doubt it can be had for a hundred quid, and I don't know where to buy it anyway. Screenie from the Vostok page.
    http://c2n.me/iuLRtq.jpg

Ah: http://www.vostok-watches.co.uk/bong...ial./?item=207
    £279
    Last edited by Glamdring; 10th July 2014 at 22:01.

Just put mine on a crown and buckle honey calf strap, looks 100 times better I think

Journeyman
    these looks quite good: http://www.good-stuffs.com/Classic-R...T17_p_156.html

anyone got one? sapphire seems appealing too

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigup View Post
    these looks quite good: http://www.good-stuffs.com/Classic-R...T17_p_156.html

anyone got one? sapphire seems appealing too
    These Rodinas have been discussed on and off quite a few times, usually in positive terms. The blue dial one, http://www.good-stuffs.com/Blue-Rodi...ull_p_183.html, is quite appealing, I think.

I seem to recall that goodcheapman on eBay had them for a while too.

Journeyman
    thanks,

im after a dress watch fr less than £100 and i reckon its between the Bambino and the Rodina - how would the dome crystal on the Bambino look under a shirt cuff at say a wedding?

Blog Entries
    how would the dome crystal on the Bambino look under a shirt cuff at say a wedding?
    Would look fine in my opinion. It's a smart watch so would fit fine with suit.

Master
    Slightly off topic, there was a lovely Zeno in the Friday thread, it was in the same style as the Bambino only far nicer.Don't know how much they are compared to the Bambino.
    I only wish the Bambinos black face had more lustre and depth to it, that's the only thing lacking Imo.The other day I had my watches out comparing, and was shocked just how big the Bambino was!

Craftsman
    I posted this somewhere else, but worth showing the pic again. I ended up 'donating' my Bambino to No. 1 son after his Rotary died. Not impressed with Rotary on the whole but that's a whole other topic. Anyway, I replaced the Bambino with its slightly more expensive sibling, the Orient Star Classic. It was over £100; £177 from Creation to be exact, but for this you get an awful lot more - handwinding, hacking, display back, power reserve meter, much crisper dial, slightly smaller dial and 20mm lugs!

Here's a couple of pictures of the two together

The only things that annoy me about the Star are:

1. I don't think the logo is as nice as the normal Orient one
    2. For some reason it's just started gaining around 20s per day, which is most un-Orient like.

Journeyman
    thanks all :)

last question, for a dress watch should i get white face or black face? or have i just opened a can of worms? :D

Master

Beautiful Orient star classic.

thanks all :)

last question, for a dress watch should i get white face or black face? or have i just opened a can of worms? :D
    I would say the white dial is probably the nicest Imo, but if you can stretch to an Orient star champagne dial blue hands, now that's something else :) a few variations......take your pick!

Finally got this in the mail (5 minutes ago).. Psyched!!

Had this one on before which like as well but now has to give way to the Bambino :-)

Congrats! It looks great! Enjoy it in good health!

Journeyman
    Love the bambino and its looks, but the dark future of the soon to be awfully scratched mineral crystal have always turned me off....

Master
    I had the same worry about mineral glass, but mine's never scratched in reality.

Craftsman
    Didn't really believe the hype around the Bambino until a colleague at work recently purchased one, they really do look and feel like a quality watch in the metal!

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post

Best wishes,
    Bob
    I really like that Bob, I have just ordered one as my "smart" watch. Thanks for the link.

Re. the name - I've always assumed it's 'Bambino' in the sense that it sells for a 'baby' price; and it's the junior model in the Orient range. Doesn't that make sense?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnefko View Post
    Love the bambino and its looks, but the dark future of the soon to be awfully scratched mineral crystal have always turned me off....
    It is a dress watch - not the one to choose when you want to play at "Action Man". If you scrape it against a wall it is likely to end up scratched - but then so would pretty much anything else.
    The Bambino is a good watch, and a great watch for the money. And that is all it set out to do.

PS - I find the size to be perfect
    Last edited by UKMike; 25th October 2014 at 23:53.

Was intrigued by the Bambino, so ordered a white faced one on Thursday from Creation. Arrived DHL Monday all for £82. Amazing value and service. It looks a very nice, well made watch, but - it's not quite for me, so I'll put it up for sale when I get around to take some pictures.

Master
    Hope to try out a bambino when the right one comes on SC!

In answer to the question posed by the title, I'd like to put forward this little beauty in the inexpensive, retro, dressy 40mm category - slightly more than £100 but with sapphire crystal and a nicely decorated movement...

Amazing bang for buck IMO...

Ive got a black dialled Bambino incoming that i took in trade recently, but im pretty sure i wont like it.

I just struggle with the name "Orient", and have avoided owning this brand up until now purely because of that fact.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes, but i dont hold out much hope