closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bambino = Best value for £100? Any contenders?

The Bambino = Best value for £100? Any contenders?

Inspired by a few recent thread, I have decided to open a topic dedicated to decide whether this watch, hovering in price around the 100 quid mark (although it can even be found cheaper at times), has any real contenders for value at this price point.
    I'm talking of course strictly of automatic watches or at least mechanical.

I myself can't think of any that could even come close, other than maybe some other models from Orient/Seiko but maybe I'm wrong?

Crazy value. There's nothing else at this price point that I've considered buying. The size puts me off though.
    I've looked at some of the Orient Star models that are sub 40mm case sizes but the price is much higher.
    Last edited by beechcustom; 22nd April 2014 at 14:41.

Master
    I was lucky enough to pick one up recently and am delighted with it. I changed the cheap nasty strap (understandable at the price!) on it and it looking like a watch 20 times what I paid for it. The silver sunburst dial reminds me a lot of a JLC Master Control I used to have

Always been tempted by one of these. How do owners find the accuracy?
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Crazy value. There's nothing else at this price point that I've considered buying. The size puts me off though.
    I've looked at some of the Orient Star models that are sub 40mm case sizes but the price is much higher.
    I was one considering these, priced similar to the Bambino and smaller at 36-37mm although not as classy, more of a Bauhaus look. Not too bad though for ~150$ at the time. The movt. is 7S26

+

Last edited by Dan83bz; 22nd April 2014 at 15:04.

They look good to me - shame that they all have date windows though

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Always been tempted by one of these. How do owners find the accuracy?
    Orient is very good in accuracy in general, very-very rare to hear of one that doesn't stay within specs. Very efficient winding as well, I own many with the PR indicator and it goes up to full before 12 normally (work in an office and my commute is very short so no that much moving around).

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    They look good to me - shame that they all have date windows though
    I actually like the way the date window is but I wish they hadn't put the black square and just left it without, see my Paint-powered editing below
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master

Any love for the Seiko Snxs?

I don't know much about the Bambino,but although not as dressy the Seiko Snxs variants are fantastic value.I love my Blue variant,so classic and understated.

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    I don't know much about the Bambino,but although not as dressy the Seiko Snxs variants are fantastic value.I love my Blue variant,so classic and understated.
    Do you mean this one or another ? The Seiko 5 is good value indeed, as a matter of fact only recently I've bought a similar one for my dad from a US seller for something like £40 odd-something shipped! But as much as it is a versatile and great value for money watch, I wouldn't put it in the same row with the "Bambino".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan83bz View Post
    Do you mean this one or another ? The Seiko 5 is good value indeed, as a matter of fact only recently I've bought a similar one for my dad from a US seller for something like £40 odd-something shipped! But as much as it is a versatile and great value for money watch, I wouldn't put it in the same row with the "Bambino".

Yes that's the one,not a elegant as the Bambino but still very nice!
    What makes the Bambino so special?
    please enlighten me.

please enlighten me.
    Well regardless of the very reasonable price point, I don't think anyone can say that the Bambino isn't a thing of beauty, particularly the white-faced version. Combine its looks, price, reliability and accuracy, it's a pretty decent buy.

Master

Thanks,will take a look

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Well regardless of the very reasonable price point, I don't think anyone can say that the Bambino isn't a thing of beauty, particularly the white-faced version. Combine its looks, price, reliability and accuracy, it's a pretty decent buy.

please enlighten me.

If it had to be one single thing, I'd say it would be the combination of slim case and domed glass that reminiscences of those lovely vintage watches of the '50s and '60s. To me that simply oozes character and class.

There's plenty more to be said but all in all it's obviously a personal matter and I personally am one of those who buys watches because I like them, not because others do.
    I happen to hate quite a few watches that I'm sure the majority of WIS love.

Some deserving pics:

And....yes...looks great on NATOs as well

Master

wow!

If it had to be one single thing, I'd say it would be the combination of slim case and domed glass that reminiscences of those lovely vintage watches of the '50s and '60s. To me that simply oozes character and class.

There's plenty more to be said but all in all it's obviously a personal matter and I personally am one of those who buys watches because I like them, not because others do.
    I happen to hate quite a few watches that I'm sure the majority of WIS love.

Some deserving pics:

That black face is a thing of beauty.
    It looks gorgeous on a Nato.
    Thanks.

And....yes...looks great on NATOs as well

Orient is very good in accuracy in general, very-very rare to hear of one that doesn't stay within specs. Very efficient winding as well, I own many with the PR indicator and it goes up to full before 12 normally (work in an office and my commute is very short so no that much moving around).
    Many thanks for that - more good news.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master

I want one!

The black faced is lovely,is Creation the best place to buy one?
    When were these watches released,are they a some kind of a re addition from years ago.
    Thanks for all the info and cant wait to get mine.

I bought mine from Creation (white) and love it. Currently on a green NATO which looks superb. £79 delivered FOC from Singapore. Unbelievable value.

Rod

Master

Thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I bought mine from Creation (white) and love it. Currently on a green NATO which looks superb. £79 delivered FOC from Singapore. Unbelievable value.

Rod

The black faced is lovely,is Creation the best place to buy one?
    When were these watches released,are they a some kind of a re addition from years ago.
    Thanks for all the info and cant wait to get mine.

They were released back in 2012 if I'm not mistaken and no, it's not really a reissue model. Not really because there are a few that bear some resemblance to it, in case/crystal shape such as the Orient 60th Anniversary model from 2010. It had a different, hand-winding only movement but it was also at a much higher price (around 500$).

As for Creation, they are running a special offer on these right now, the normal price is around £100-110 for them, higher elsewhere. They also same the sell on eBay, at a slightly higher price if you'd prefer that, although not point really to involve a middle man especially since they accept PayPal for buying directly from the website.

If this is your first buying experience with creation you will probably be pleasantly surprised. I'd say make up your mind quickly as it looks it will sell out, the white face one is already sold out .

P.S. if you end up buying one, we'll await a thread to hear you opinions

Master

Thanks for the help

They were released back in 2012 if I'm not mistaken and no, it's not really a reissue model. Not really because there are a few that bear some resemblance to it, in case/crystal shape such as the Orient 60th Anniversary model from 2010. It had a different, hand-winding only movement but it was also at a much higher price (around 500$).

As for Creation, they are running a special offer on these right now, the normal price is around £100-110 for them, higher elsewhere. They also same the sell on eBay, at a slightly higher price if you'd prefer that, although not point really to involve a middle man especially since they accept PayPal for buying directly from the website.

If this is your first buying experience with creation you will probably be pleasantly surprised. I'd say make up your mind quickly as it looks it will sell out, the white face one is already sold out .

P.S. if you end up buying one, we'll await a thread to hear you opinions
    I really like the black one,with the beautiful domed crystal.
    I have been reading up on them,all the different variants and have read that the strap isn't great.
    Can anyone recommend a quality leather strap,would a 22mm squeeze onto the lugs.
    I haven't uploaded any photos on any of my posts,as i am pretty rubbish with a computer,but will give it a go when i get it.
    Thanks.

The Bambino has 21mm lugs, it will be a bit of a squeeze for 22mm . Although, I find that most often leather straps will settle with this kind of difference without any issue, you could try and put your 22mm in some sort of vice overnight to compress it a bit. I'd suggest to get the watch first and get a feel of the strap before changing it, you might find it OK at least for a while.

If not, then THIS place has good quality straps and they do have a range of 21mm ones as well

Good Christ have you seen this?????? http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...atch-3183.html

38mm case. Very tempted to pull the trigger at FIFTY FOUR QUID!!!!! Anyone had one of these?

I have been looking at lower priced watches recently more out of curiosity really.

I like the brown face alot.But at last I have learned a lesson.Anything under 38mm will not suit.

Master
    The Bambino has 21mm lugs, it will be a bit of a squeeze for 22mm . Although, I find that most often leather straps will settle with this kind of difference without any issue, you could try and put your 22mm in some sort of vice overnight to compress it a bit. I'd suggest to get the watch first and get a feel of the strap before changing it, you might find it OK at least for a while.

If not, then THIS place has good quality straps and they do have a range of 21mm ones as well
    I tried a couple of 20mm and 22mm straps I had and found a 20mm Di model Bali chrono a near perfect fit and the dark brown looks fantastic on the white dial model. I tried a blue one too but it didn't look as good

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SIB View Post
    I tried a couple of 20mm and 22mm straps I had and found a 20mm Di model Bali chrono a near perfect fit and the dark brown looks fantastic on the white dial model. I tried a blue one too but it didn't look as good
    Thanks,they do look nice.

Master
    I was trying not to add to the collection but this thread has just cost me £77 although I am sure I won't regret it - how can you for that money?

Over time I have read varying report about creation so will also be interesting to see how they perform?

Quote Originally Posted by StuS View Post
    Over time I have read varying report about creation so will also be interesting to see how they perform?

Let us know :)

In my case, because of the location, they do not offer the free courier service, instead it's free registered mail which is still good, makes it here in 10-15 days. I did order once while being located in DK and it arrived in 3.5 days , which seems to be the norm for UK deliveries as well, 5 days or less.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Good Christ have you seen this?????? http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...atch-3183.html

38mm case. Very tempted to pull the trigger at FIFTY FOUR QUID!!!!! Anyone had one of these?
    Had a similar one long ago, when I started with Orients. No disappointment, just moved on to Orient Star and the like.

There's also THIS , which is an even bigger bargain I would say at 51 (as a sporty watch of course rather than dress) as it comes on bracelet and these have good lume as well. It would probably looks great on a brown leather strap.

Ok...I need to either stop now or get into some agreement with creation to get a few quid for all the compliments and referrals I've sent to them .

Master
    For £51 that looks pretty good, but 1 watch a day is a limit I will stick to!

Craftsman
    Black faced Bambino ordered. At that price it was too hard to resist.

Quote Originally Posted by patnmand View Post
    Black faced Bambino ordered. At that price it was too hard to resist.
    Don't blame you. If I had bigger wrists I'd have done the same some time ago!

For £51 that looks pretty good, but 1 watch a day is a limit I will stick to!
    Indeed. I like the old school movement as well, the 469 caliber has been around since the early 70's basically, this is the caliber celebrated in the 40th anniversary "King Diver" model.

Master
    Not a great picture but here's mine on the Bali Chrono. It's a generous 20mm so fills the 21mm gap nicely:

Journeyman
    My favourite £100 watch is the 44mm Ticino pilot. Sapphire crystal, super lume, 100m WR, Miyota movement.
    Strap got changed on arrival, but it's a lovely watch that gets a lot of wrist time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooty View Post
    My favourite £100 watch is the 44mm Ticino pilot. Sapphire crystal, super lume, 100m WR, Miyota movement.
    Strap got changed on arrival, but it's a lovely watch that gets a lot of wrist time.

Thats nice.

Master
    Can not fault Creation's. Service so far as it's already been dispatched apparently.

Craftsman
    Can not fault Creation's. Service so far as it's already been dispatched apparently.
    Mine too!

Quote Originally Posted by Mooty View Post

Very nice though cant really pull a 44mm. Any chance they might make smaller ones.

Mine too!
    I foresee a very nice thread with photos very soon ;)

Very nice though cant really pull a 44mm. Any chance they might make smaller ones.
    Indeed. My 38mm Sarb035 is about as large as I'm comfortable with. 44mm seems rediculous unless you have well above average sized wrists!

Master
    Me three, jumping on the bandwagon :)

Mine too!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Nice watches but I reckon the Seiko chronos are better value for under £100.

Quote Originally Posted by Junaid8 View Post
    There's so many Seiko chronos out there. A particular example ?

Quote Originally Posted by Junaid8 View Post
    Well screwed together, yes, but if you're looking a pretty automatic, a Seiko chrono for under £100 will not fit the bill.

Master

The Bambino is lovely

I love the whole vintage look of the Bambino,i would love to see a Seiko compete with that.

Blog Entries
    I love the whole vintage look of the Bambino,i would love to see a Seiko compete with that.
    You know that Orient is owned by Seiko? ;-)

Vostok still make some nice mechanical dress watches (well, dressier than the Amphibias anyway) for around the £100 mark.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    You know that Orient is owned by Seiko? ;-)
    yes i know the Seiko and Orient story,i owned some nice Orients in the eighties and looked at buying a lovely Royal Orient.
    I don't normally buy dress watches,as i don't work in an office,so i tend to buy,military and tool watches.
    It was by chance ,i came across this thread the other day and discovered the Bambino.I am just curious as to see what Seiko can do if any in this style,as i know a bit about Grand Seiko,but don't have that kind of money.(got to keep the wife happy).

Blog Entries
    i owned some nice Orients in the eighties and looked at buying a lovely Royal Orient.
    I'd very much like to buy a Royal Orient in due course. I know I'll take a hammering in resale if I buy new but it's a watch I think might be worth buying new.

i came across this thread the other day and discovered the Bambino.I am just curious as to see what Seiko can do if any in this style
    Interesting thought. I can't think of anything from Seiko in this style except perhaps for the SARBxxx Mechanicals and SARWxxx and SARXxxx Presage dress watches, which are only very broadly similar. There is nothing quite the same as far as I can recall.