closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hilarious Yank teaching how to speak proper "British"

Hilarious Yank teaching how to speak proper "British"

This is just hilarious and I've just had my Coffeh!

Cheers,
    Neil.

With the exception of coffeh it's quite passable, if a little regal.

Do we all pout when speaking?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Hahaha! PMSL! Made me knock my coffeh ovah!
    F.T.F.A.

"Gaw blamay Marie Pawpins"

"Gor 'blimey Mary Poppins"...

Presumably this woman's never spoken to a real "British dialect" speaker...

Funniest thing I've heard was one of my American colleagues doing "All British actors doing an American accent", it was stunningly accurate - Sounded like Hugh Laurie AND Damian Lewis!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

She's clearly a professional. And yes stooo, we all pout in order to keep our upper lips nice and stiff!

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinShepherd View Post
    She's clearly a professional. And yes stooo, we all pout in order to keep our upper lips nice and stiff!
    It looks like a spoof video it's so bad...

And since when did "British dialect" speakers pronounce "FART" as "FORT"?

I'm worried about the poor dog lost in the fog, though...

M

Now that's how you learn an accent...

Having said that, the BBC are no better - regardless of where a show is set, anyone from the countryside speaks as if they are from cornwall - the Green green grass was set in Rural Shropshire (which is where I am from) but suffers from that problem...
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 22nd April 2014 at 10:32.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    "Gaw blamay Marie Pawpins"

"Gor 'blimey Mary Poppins"...

Presumably this woman's never spoken to a real "British dialect" speaker...
    Well, not recently it seems. My impression is that that the short O sound that she promotes is very, very old fashioned (and traditional class-dependent and location-dependent) and simply isn't heard very much any more.

She often sounds more modern-English to my ears when she speaks with her own accent than she does when she speaks with the traditional (for certain classes and locations, at least) British English pronunciation.

To really bring her guide up to date perhaps she should try Estuary English.

- - - Updated - - -

And since when did "British dialect" speakers pronounce "FART" as "FORT"?
    I thought that was supposed to be "fought".

Apprentice
    I got drunk in a bar in Manhattan last year with an actor from Texas who'd just got a voice acting gig where he had to affect a Scots accent. We had a whale of a time teaching one another our respective accents. He ended up sounding like Fat Bastard from the Austin Powers films, but according to his g/f I nailed his Texas accent. Point is, he was quite aware that his accent was rubbish, but he didn't much care, because the intended audience was US nationals who wouldn't be able to tell anyway. Most of 'em know they won't pass muster if an actual Brit is listening.

What's with "The dorg was lost in the forg?"

Quote Originally Posted by georgemc View Post
    I got drunk in a bar in Manhattan last year with an actor from Texas who'd just got a voice acting gig where he had to affect a Scots accent. We had a whale of a time teaching one another our respective accents. He ended up sounding like Fat Bastard from the Austin Powers films, but according to his g/f I nailed his Texas accent. Point is, he was quite aware that his accent was rubbish, but he didn't much care, because the intended audience was US nationals who wouldn't be able to tell anyway. Most of 'em know they won't pass muster if an actual Brit is listening.
    I guess Americans are as ignorant as most British people when it comes to the respective accents.

There's no such thing as a "British Accent", but equally New Yorkers sound quite different to those from Georgia, Texas or California...

Rather stupid, though, if this woman's claiming to be an 'expert' (perhaps she's not) to bracket Glaswegian in with Cornish, Brummy, Scouse, Geordie and Norfolk accents!

M

She's not speaking with a British accent but she's attempting (not terribly well) to copy RP. The simple fact is that no-one in the UK actually speaks with RP unless they work for the BBC, and if you come over here and speak RP people will simple laugh.

I once met a man on an aeroplane on a return flight from JFK to LHR. He was a professor at Lubbock University in Texas. He was interested in where I was from and said how much he loved London because it was "such a jolly place" and he spoke RP with an extraordinary comical central European accent. He asked where I thought he was from, expecting me to say "Oh my dear fellow, you're clearly from Jolly Old". I didn't say that, I said, "Central Europe, possible Czech Republic". He looked so sad, and admitted being from Prague.

Turns out that he had wanted to live in London all his life, had copied the accent from the BBC Home Service and from B&W British films, and was refused a work permit in the UK but was given a green card to live and work in Texas.

He would have drunk corfe on the plane but preffered to drink tea with "jest a desh of milk".

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I guess Americans are as ignorant as most British people when it comes to the respective accents.
    Over here in the heartland of andalucía there are about 300 britains in the municipality and they are a great collection of english accents. Oxbridge, south London, yorkshire the lot as they are a random selection of native english speakers. Sevral Irish, even some english speaking south africans and one ozzie. No americans.

One absolutely perfectly oxbridge speaking lady is totally smitten with my light dutch accent english. I myself do not hear it and that will be so with most of the above.

One special mention should be Theodopolus; a greek national long time married to a german lady so he speaks greeklish with a heavy german accent.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Over here in the heartland of andalucía there are about 300 britains in the municipality and they are a great collection of english accents. Oxbridge, south London, yorkshire the lot as they are a random selection of native english speakers. Sevral Irish, even some english speaking south africans and one ozzie. No americans.

One absolutely perfectly oxbridge speaking lady is totally smitten with my light dutch accent english. I myself do not hear it and that will be so with most of the above.

One special mention should be Theodopolus; a greek national long time married to a german lady so he speaks greeklish with a heavy german accent.
    I know a couple of people who've learnt their English in Ireland, one German, one Swedish, it's an unusual, but quite attractive, combination.

M

I wouldn't know where to look for that dog lost in the fog - Scandanavia perhaps?

Craftsman
    Nearly as bad as Daphnes Moon's brother Simon's "Manchester" accent In Frazier.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    This is just hilarious and I've just had my Coffeh!

Hilariously bad!

I was always very impressed by Renée Zellweger's accent as Bridget Jones. Given that she actually has a Texan drawl I thought she did a remarkable job. And was very appealing in many ways also.

As Bridget Jones:

Her natural self:

So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by abbs View Post
    Nearly as bad as Daphnes Moon's brother Simon's "Manchester" accent In Frazier.
    Oh Gawd yes, I remember him going on about Saraand saahnd (surround sound).

The funny thing was Frazier and Niles sounded more English than he did.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Check out her other video, where she tells us how the "British dialect" pronounces Garage... Something like Garische....

God knows where she gets her 'British' expertise from, possibly the sign-language translator at Nelson Mandela's funeral!

M

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MerlinShepherd View Post
    She's not speaking with a British accent but she's attempting (not terribly well) to copy RP. The simple fact is that no-one in the UK actually speaks with RP unless they work for the BBC, and if you come over here and speak RP people will simple laugh.
    Do they still speak like that on the BBC? I think this is what I meant in my message above about her idea of how Brits speak being very old fashioned. People certainly used to speak this way (depending on class and partly on location) but no longer.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I was always very impressed by Renée Zellweger's accent as Bridget Jones. Given that she actually has a Texan drawl I thought she did a remarkable job.
    Yup, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post

Now that's how you learn an accent...

Having said that, the BBC are no better - regardless of where a show is set, anyone from the countryside speaks as if they are from cornwall - the Green green grass was set in Rural Shropshire (which is where I am from) but suffers from that problem...
    This is outstanding

Blog Entries
    She thinks she's good enough to do a tutorial... Sounded as if she was in pain... Hysterical !!!

At best, faint evidence of a 1950s Ealing comedy!

Yea yea...

How about doing a dialect / accent in our 2nd, 3rd or 4th language?

It's so freaking easy to do accents in my first language (not english) I have difficulties understanding the fuzz in this thread.

If you know german as a 2nd language, can you do a bavarian accent?

If you know french as a 3rd language, can you imitate a german speaking french?

If you know italian as a 4th language, can you do an italian speaking french / german?