closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Explorer 1 or Vintage AirKing 5500

Explorer 1 or Vintage AirKing 5500

Many years ago I lived with a single watch which I wore for all occasions and would try bought a decent watch that I considered was worth the money as it was my to be "for life", little did I know that I'd build a collection of more expensive. Things didn't work out that way and I started a little collection, as the collection grew I wanted a watch for each category, LED, LCD, chronograph, GMT etc. The categories changed to Pilot, Divers, Racing and it all became a bit complex. After a cull I'm down to eight but only ever wear the same one or two so another cull of a few watches is on the way and I'd like to have just a couple of decent watches.

As an everyday wear I really like the look of the Rolex Explorer or AirKing models with 3,6,9 in Arabic on the dial. The Explorer is likely to be the cheapest 36mm (114270?) which is top of budget but I have seen some nice vintage AirKing 5500 models sporting the same appearance but cheaper, one on an original (expanding) bracelet and the other on a newer bracelet. The AirKing models appeal because they will be more unique but I'm concerned if they will stand up to everyday wear and tear (to be fair I have an office job). The Explorer I'm unsure about as everyday, are the numbers on the modern versions have to much bling? If so I know I will end up tucking it aside for special occasions.

Which would you go for and why?

Master

Gorgeous Blue Dial does it for me.

My dad has a blue dial Airking date from the 70s, dont know the model number.
    The watch is a very wearable size,possibly 36mm?I only recently found out that it was a pilots watch(civilian i think).
    I really liked the Explorer, and nearly bought one in the 90s myself.
    If it was my money i would have the Airking,but a vintage one.

Thank Barry, your Dad has good taste, I like the blue dial Air King too, very stylish, is that with the Arabic numbers or batons? What stopped you from buying an Explorer?

One up for the AK, maybe I should have done a poll, never mind.

I have an 1981 vintage Airking 5500 that I wear two or three times a week, sometimes all week if I can't be bothered to change it. I bought it 5 years ago, it has never had a service but still runs at about + or - 7 or 8 seconds a day, and I quite regularly wear it while cycling. I'd say it is 34mm, but then again about a third of the price of a similar age and condition Explorer at 36mm.

(Edited to add a gratuitous photo)

Last edited by SimonK; 21st April 2014 at 20:04.

Master
    The Explorer is really understated on the wrist. All of the watches you mention will stand up to every day in the office though!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    Thank Barry, your Dad has good taste, I like the blue dial Air King too, very stylish, is that with the Arabic numbers or batons? What stopped you from buying an Explorer?

One up for the AK, maybe I should have done a poll, never mind.
    My dad has the batons on the dial,i did buy my wife the Arabic faced watch ,as i really like those as well.
    I purchased a sea dweller instead as i dived at the time.
    whichever you decide,don't forget to let us see it,and good luck with your search.
    Barry.

Don't forget about the Oyster Perpetual 116000 which has the 3-6-9 dial and 36mm case, but hands and dial more similar to the Air King than the Explorer I. They come in blue or silver versions. Perhaps the ideal compromise if you like both?

I got mine a few weeks ago:

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    (Edited to add a gratuitous photo)
    Thanks Simon, the photo is appreciated, lovely AK, for some reason the AK is a bit cheaper than the Explorer and I think that will be part of the reason I'd be happier to wear it on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    Don't forget about the Oyster Perpetual 116000 which has the 3-6-9 dial and 36mm
    Thanks, I hadn't considered that model, beautiful watch, lovely deep blue

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm very fond of my Airking. It's the very definition of a stealth classic. The Explorer is a great watch, but any real desire to get one just slipped away once I had mine. I know 34mm should be too small, but it works beautifully.

Master
    I'd pick the Exp1, but if you want some colour then that blue dial is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    The Explorer is really understated on the wrist.
    And versatile? Only occasionally do I have to wear a suit, normally it's smart casual so I do smart jeans, trousers and casual shirt.

I have a 1002 with explorer dial as my daily wearer.
    Love it

Journeyman
    That 1002 with explorer dial is absolutely stunning!

Grand Master
    Depends how much you're looking to spend. The 116000 is a current model and will be quite hard to find second hand, particularly with the 3-6-9 dial configuration. The older Air-Kings crop up more often, but it could prove elusive to get that blue dial.

I`ve owned both the older blue 3-6-9 dial Air-King (which is 34mm) and the 114270 Explorer 1. I still have the Explorer 1 and it's a watch I'd be very reluctant to sell. For me, it has the edge over the old-model Air-King but it'll cost more to buy. At 36mm, it wears a bit bigger than the Air-King and that suits a lot of people thesedays.

I`m not so keen on the latest 39mm Explorer 1; if I was paying that sort of money I`d go for the blue-dialled 116000 instead. It's a very appealing watch and it's reminding me that I don`t have a blue-dialled steel watch in my collection. Of all the recent 'fat lug' Rolexes this is the only case design that looks right IMO......and the bracelet's nice too!

Paul

Master

Explorer £5250 Jopsos jewellers

There's a nice Explorer 1987 model 1016 for sale in Carlisle at the moment,don't know much about these models,but must be about 34mm.
    No connection with the jewellers.

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    There's a nice Explorer 1987 model 1016 for sale in Carlisle at the moment,don't know much about these models,but must be about 34mm.
    No connection with the jewellers.
    The 1016 always seem to be expensive, don't know why...

Master
    I went for the lesser known 1018, which is 36mm but without a date, and a chronometer movement - just the right size and bling free. Some of them end up getting converted into Explorers as the dial and hands fit, but the case is actually thinner, making them feel bit dressier. I woudn't change the dial, I like it just the way it is personally. I expect you could wear it every day but given the age (1967) I find myself taking a bit of care of it. The original rivet bracelets don't have solid links so I woudn't be dong DIY in it!

Explorer I!

IMO, here are why:
    -Black dial gives the serious face look on the bracelet when you need it!
    -It goes better with other straps
    -Prices go up quicker

Quote Originally Posted by jeromeo View Post
    I have a 1002 with explorer dial
    Painted dial looks lovely, less bling than the 14270 model onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The older Air-Kings crop up more often, but it could prove elusive to get that blue dial ... I`m not so keen on the latest 39mm Explorer 1
    Thanks Paul, the blue dial version is nice but I was leaning towards the silver dial in the hope it would blend in with whatever I'm wearing.

I'm not overly keen on the 39mm either, my preference is for smaller dial watches as I find them more comfortable, having said that I do have a Speedmaster Professional which I find is comfortable and a pleasure to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    There's a nice Explorer 1987 model 1016 for sale in Carlisle at the moment
    Thanks Barry, I think the cheapest Explorer to go for is the 114270 which is still around £1k more than the similarly dialled AirKings I've seen. The 1016 is too pricey, I have seen a few in my search tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I went for the lesser known 1018, a chronometer movement ... I expect you could wear it every day but given the age (1967) I find myself taking a bit of care of it. The original rivet bracelets don't have solid links so I woudn't be dong DIY in it!
    Thanks, hadn't seen one of those, I love the fact Rolex mix and match dials, hands and movements, the fact that this is a Chronometer is good too.

The rivet bracelet is a concern of mine, so are the expansion springs, I guess when it's gone you have to go modern?

My vote is for the Explorer. It has it all, history, long production run, classic Rolex design and it will possibly be easier to sell should the need arise. Nagraboy's suggestion as mentioned earlier seems a good compromise if you are looking for a coloured dial.

Watchfinder have an Air-King 34mm, model number: 14000M, blue dialled with arabic numerals at 3, 6 and 9, which dates from 2005.

I have no connection to Watchfinder

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by himmelblau View Post
    Watchfinder have an Air-King 34mm, model number: 14000M, blue dialled with arabic numerals at 3, 6 and 9, which dates from 2005.

I have no connection to Watchfinder
    Or the new 36mm version on chrono 24 from Italy for another hundred pounds or so

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I went for the lesser known 1018, which is 36mm but without a date, and a chronometer movement

Very nice, that.

Master

Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Very nice, that.
    Very Stylish.

Lovely 1018 photo. This 1600 shot evokes a similar sense of classic quality:

image source: uhrenbilder.blogspot.com

As for which to go for in the original post, I doubt it matters much, as they're both great choices.

The Journey

So it all started with a Vintage Speedking at Black Bough and wanting an every day wear that was a bit different, my attention turned to one of the lovely Air Kings they had with the 3,6,9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwY1eXcwXZQ

Having researched the market and found a couple of dealers willing to discount I found that for a little bit more money I could (potentially) get an Explorer, so there is the choice between the beauty of the Air King or the Rolex Sports watch.

Then came this post from there the journey took in a lot of research and basically went
    -> Explorers (watch only, cheapest possible entry into ownership!)
    -> Explorer 1016 (almost the perfect one at theoldwatchshop, budget spiralled but seen as an investment as well as a wearer)
    -> Explorer 14270 Blackout (the few I saw the price quite high especially after I saw the one that sold on SC last year)
    -> Purchase of a few Rolex books
    -> Explorer 114270 (various)
    -> Explorer 14270 (various)
    -> Omega Planet Ocean, okay so at this point I was remembering that I wanted an every day watch, the Planet Ocean is big, tough, rough and able to take day to day knocks, besides I'd seen one for a good price but is it what I really wanted ...
    -> Explorer 2 16570 White Dial (chronomaster.co.uk, great price, some scuffs)
    -> Explorer 2 16550
    -> and back again Explorer 2 16570 White Dial (chronomaster.co.uk, great price, some scuffs)

And that's were it very nearly ended, only it didn't, chronomaster.co.uk had sold the watch the very same day I decided I'd go for it.

Luckily the Explorer 2 16570 White Dial is fairly readily available, it's just a case of getting one at the right price, oh and of course working through the mine field of permutations such as bracelet type (flip/clasp), 3185 or 3186 movement, Rolex Rehaut or not, Tritium/Luminova or Super Luminova etc.

But I did find one

Not the cheapest, not the best as the bezel is scratched (seems to be made of Bacofoil!) but it's now mine, I'm happy and the hunt is over.
    Last edited by christech81; 20th May 2014 at 19:50.

Yup! The Exp II is a lovely thing. I had one until quite recently and really enjoyed wearing it but like so many...it has ended up on someone else's wrist. I also used to own an Airking which I do regret selling.

Very nice, I would definitely go for the Explorer II over AirKing. Enjoy.

Master
    If it were me, I'd go for the 36 mm Oyster Perpetual. I think the size is just about perfect for my 6.75" wrist for an everyday watch. Mind you, for a diver then it's 40 mm for me. Anything smaller just doesn't look right for a diver imo.

Edited to add, just noticed choice already made. Lovely choice for a sports watch and, personally, I much prefer the white dialled version. A very versatile watch.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 20th May 2014 at 20:47.

Explorer I 114270 or AirKing with blue arabic dial both good choices, but the Explorer has the edge - slightly larger case, and the black dial is more versatile than the blue. If vintage AirKing, why not look for an AirKing date?