closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko MM 600m SD vs JLC Master Compressor Diving GMT vs Rolex DSSD

Master

Seiko MM 600m SD vs JLC Master Compressor Diving GMT vs Rolex DSSD

Just taking a break from some bathroom DIY; in the last few months I've realised that divers watches are really the only watches that spark my interest so going down that path I want to work towards a higher end piece that I can wear every day to work, as well as outside of work for all occasions. SO far I've narrowed it down to the following watches that I'm considering for my next purchase (with a few pros):

Seiko Marine Master 600m SD - Spring drive movement accuracy, lightweight case, robust and solid tool watch.

Jaeger Le Coultre Master Compressor Diving GMT - lightweight case, excellent bracelet, GMT movement.

Rolex Deepsea Sea Dweller - classic look, solid build quality, excellent bracelet.

What would you pick and why? I'm leaning towards the DSSD because it's the kind of watch that you can wear in all situations. I usually take all my dive watches diving too just to test them out and for the novelty factor.

Master
    of those 3 the Seiko..

if it was between Master Compressor Auto or Diving Chrono then I'd go for that..but the JLC GMT is my least favourite.

Blog Entries
    Bit of a price difference between those.

Take the MM600 and do something nice with the spare cash I'd say.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Bit of a price difference between those.

Take the MM600 and do something nice with the spare cash I'd say.

Daddel.
    Yup that's what I'd do. The Seiko is fandabidozie

The Seiko for me too. It's awesome.

Beautiful Titanium, the time keeping will blow you away, and an unusal sight in the UK.

Master
    They're all fairly large. Do you have the wrist to make one of these a feasible all day, every day, watch?

Price no object, no choice DS. If price came into it, then the MM600.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Had all 3 more than once. JLC and DS are in a different class.Still have a DSSD and tempted again with the JLC. Its just loads different to anything else you see and feels great for such a large watch.MM600 is very nice but more of a 'holiday' watch if you get my drift.(Will still probably get one again at some point!)BTW what about an IWC Aquatimer 3767?

Cheers,Craig

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    They're all fairly large. Do you have the wrist to make one of these a feasible all day, every day, watch?
    Yep, no issues with that. 7.75".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waiteu2 View Post
    Had all 3 more than once. JLC and DS are in a different class.Still have a DSSD and tempted again with the JLC. Its just loads different to anything else you see and feels great for such a large watch.MM600 is very nice but more of a 'holiday' watch if you get my drift.(Will still probably get one again at some point!)BTW what about an IWC Aquatimer 3767?

Cheers,Craig
    I have an IWC Galapagos :) It'll be going in for the chop if I choose the DSSD.

Craftsman
    In order of preference

1, JLC for novelty factor
    2, MM for value and low service costs
    3, DSSD its heft is too much for me even @ 6"5 and 110 kg

Master
    They're all dive watches but not totally comparable IMO.

The seiko was a watch I wanted for a while but a complete disappointment. Great movement but the rest just left me cold. Great (if expensive) holiday watch though.

The JLC is also a great movement of course but I hated the stupid "life meter" instead of a standard running seconds (no easy way of checking accuracy) plus that bezel is £1200 or so to replace!

The deep sea is one of my favourite all time watches. It's heavy but that hasn't bothered me personally, has the best clasp I've ever used, has great quality to every component (bezel, crown movement etc) and attracts comments. I don't need it's diving ability at all, but that's not why I bought it. I just like the watch, a lot.

I've owned all three of the watches you have listed and you can't go wrong with any of them, my favourite - although it took a few months of ownership to realise it, is without a doubt the Seiko MM600, at one stage I even considered selling it but it's not going anywhere now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    They're all dive watches but not totally comparable IMO.

The seiko was a watch I wanted for a while but a complete disappointment. Great movement but the rest just left me cold. Great (if expensive) holiday watch though.

The JLC is also a great movement of course but I hated the stupid "life meter" instead of a standard running seconds (no easy way of checking accuracy) plus that bezel is £1200 or so to replace!

The deep sea is one of my favourite all time watches. It's heavy but that hasn't bothered me personally, has the best clasp I've ever used, has great quality to every component (bezel, crown movement etc) and attracts comments. I don't need it's diving ability at all, but that's not why I bought it. I just like the watch, a lot.
    I never noticed that about the JLC! Just watched a video on youtube...surely a certain point on the meter indicates zero seconds? I don't think it would bother me too much, makes it more unique.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    I never noticed that about the JLC! Just watched a video on youtube...surely a certain point on the meter indicates zero seconds? I don't think it would bother me too much, makes it more unique.
    When I owned that JLC I didn't have any problems working out zero seconds but obviously it's not as simple to read as an ordinary seconds hand, a quirky unique feature which for me makes the JLC more interesting - although I would still chose the Seiko and DSSD out of the three.