closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anything to do in the North East Today? (Bank Holiday Monday)

Anything to do in the North East Today? (Bank Holiday Monday)

I have two kids aged 10 and 4 and, whilst failing miserably to find something to do today, my heart is sinking again at the thought of all the school holidays this year with nowt to do in the North East. There are only so many parks you can go to!

I really fancied Bamburgh Castle but I've just checked and it's £30 for us to get in so that's out. I love Bamburgh Castle but I have to say that £30 admission is a disgrace.

Had a look at the usual sites but can't find anything remotely interesting. I thought the Hancock Museum would be worth a visit but what they have on is a complete pile.

Anyone know of anything suitable to do today?

Thanks,

David
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 21st April 2014 at 10:23.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I have two kids aged 10 and 4 and, whilst failing miserably to find something to do today, my heart is sinking again at the thought of all the school holidays this year with nowt to do in the North East. There are only so many parks you can go to!

Had a look at the usual sites but can't find anything remotely interesting. I thought the Hancock Museum would be worth a visit but what they have on is a complete pile.

Anyone know of anything suitable to do today?

Thanks,

David
    I went to the discovery centre a couple of weeks ago... thought it was ace!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I went to the discovery centre a couple of weeks ago... thought it was ace!
    Thanks Ben. We like it there but have been recently, plus it's a footy related theme this weekend which although right up my street isn't what the three girls in my house will fancy.

Cheers.

£30 admission for a family seems reasonable to me. On their site, they quote £25 for a family ticket so five quid saved there too.

Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post
    £30 admission for a family seems reasonable to me. On their site, they quote £25 for a family ticket so five quid saved there too.
    I'd missed that, thanks mate. I think part of my frustration is that we've been trying to think of things for them to do for two weeks on a non-existent budget so they're now bored and we're bored and sick too. I get away from it being at work but the missus is demented now.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Boot fair?

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Boot fair?
    I'd love to wander round a boot fair - but on my own! With two kids, I don't think so.

It's a bit late for Easter I know but we did Alnwick Castle, lots to do and fairly quiet as everyone was at the Gardens! and for extra 50p or so ticket can be used unlimited times in 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by rolexer16610 View Post
    It's a bit late for Easter I know but we did Alnwick Castle, lots to do and fairly quiet as everyone was at the Gardens! and for extra 50p or so ticket can be used unlimited times in 12 months.
    We have an annual pass for Alnwick Castle but there wasn't anything on that day. We ended up taking them to a park and out for their lunch.

Master
    Take them down to Whitley Bay David.(Spanish City ) or am I showing my age.

Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    Take them down to Whitley Bay David.(Spanish City ) or am I showing my age.
    You are Jon, but I remember the Spanish City too. It's been closed for more than 10 years and various people have shown an interest in bringing it back to life in that time. I'm sure it's due to open again soon - maybe someone here is from from Whitley and can let us know?

Park at seahouses and walk up to dunstanburgh castle, it costs $$ to get in. But you can climb around certain bits if u don't want to pay.
    Last edited by gazzafaegreenock; 23rd April 2014 at 21:06.

South Shields; beach, amusements and new Haven Point leisure centre, maybe even a trip on the ferry?

Bit late now for advice for Monday but we had a great afternoon at Beamish museum. Well worth a visit. The weather was pretty nice for a change too. Tickets valid for a year so hopefully we'll get a fair bit of use out of them.

David

Get a joint membership with your missus to English Heritage, then have a look at all the places you can visit for free.

We joined a couple of months ago - it cost £80, and we have already had over double that in free entry to a number of places. And for each adult, you can take up to five kids with you for free. So it's great if you have your kids have friends over, or cousins etc.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Spent the day on the beach at Seaton Sluice with 6yr old and 10yr old - didn't need to do anything except provide buckets/spades and keep them full of juice and Fish & Chips. Bloomin'massive fish from the chippy there!
    Had a potter through the flea market at Tynemouth Metro Station first - not too boring for them, and always a few toy stalls and cupcake stands to keep them fed and entertained.

for those that don't know Seaton Sluice - it's nicer than the name suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Spent the day on the beach at Seaton Sluice with 6yr old and 10yr old - didn't need to do anything except provide buckets/spades and keep them full of juice and Fish & Chips. Bloomin'massive fish from the chippy there!
    Had a potter through the flea market at Tynemouth Metro Station first - not too boring for them, and always a few toy stalls and cupcake stands to keep them fed and entertained.

for those that don't know Seaton Sluice - it's nicer than the name suggests.
    I grew up in Seaton Sluice, or The Sluice as we call it. Nice place.

If you are stuck for ideas for the early May holiday then this might be a possibility...... http://www.sunderlandlive.co.uk/even...m-spectacular-
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Cragside is fantastic but perhaps more of an adult thing (though there are lots of walks in the grounds).

Boat trip from Seahouses to see the puffins and seal on the Farnes Islands.

Park in Cranster (I think) just S. of Seahouses and Walk to Dunstanburgh Castle, less than a tenner for an adult and two kids to get in.

Don't go to Berwick, from my brief acquaintance it's a shithole.