closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Mountain bike, what's the deal with the new specs

Banned

New Mountain bike, what's the deal with the new specs

As my Daughter seems to have nicked my Kona buffer mtb, I've been out and about this weekend looking at some options. What has taken me by surprise is the 2x10 gears and the two new wheel sizes. I've been looking at the Boadman Pro29er and the Giant XTC 2 composite, but is there anything better out there? my top price would be £1400

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtb/29er_pro.html

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-XTC-Co...FXMPtAodznUA5A

Grand Master
    Buy used / pre loved, I ride a 29 Hardtail and a 26 Full Susser, both Specialized Stumpjumpers and enjoy each one equally, do not get over sucked into the hype and bling, the engine is the key and having rode a 26 for 30 years they are as good now as they ever where and 29 or 650b brings nothing to the party except variety and marketting to prop up the bike industry. Its a shame you are not closer you could buy one of mine!
    RIAC

Its all bike industry marketing IMO. My advice is to try and get along to a test ride, then try a 29 er and compare to a regular 26" wheel, there is even a wheel inbetween 650 on mtb now. See what feels nice and look for a deal in the price.

I have ridden many 29 ners off road, i do not like them at all, the 650 was ok and quite nice , but prefer how my 26" wheels handle at the moment.

We are all different and there is nothing wrong with new formats of wheel size and the new gearing tbh, it is just current market thinking. Best to try as much as you can with in your budget, and try and stick to the budget.

I usually have built and specced my own bikes from frame options, so i can get the kit and spec i want. it is much more expensive but more rewarding for me.

You do get a better deal buying a bike as is from a manufactuer and upgrading bits as they wear out.

Both bikes you have selected look fine, but see what the other big firms are doing. If you can get last years spec model you will either getting a saving or more for your budget, but most of those deals are around sept/oct when bike shops need to do deals to clear space for next model year stock that is arriving.

edit, that is also great advice from 100th monkey, it took me so long to reply to post as multi tasking i did not see what he said untill i posted.
    Last edited by pastrana72; 20th April 2014 at 21:23.

Master
    I was going to buy a mountain bike, but changed to a road bike as they're not too many mountains in SE London, and some kind soul on here mentioned Canyon bikes (which I had never heard of before). Mine's only just arrived but it's a lot of bike for the money, secondhand aside, so perhaps you could consider something like this one;

https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainb...ke.html?b=3173

or full suspension;

https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainb...ke.html?b=3281

There is also a £50 post and packing charge to add though.
    Last edited by mactrack; 20th April 2014 at 23:07.

Craftsman
    I can only echo whats been said above about getting a used one, I have a Rocky Mountain Team Vertex, full carbon frame and XTR groupset and I got it for just over 2/3 rds of your budget. Buying a new premium bike seems an excellent way to chuck money away.

Now then Capt, take Kerry up on his offer as he has some top quality kit which he keeps in great nick.

BTW, I have a Boardman Pro hardtail 26" which has been used and abused, including completing the Coast to Coast, great bikes.

Regards.

Keith.
    Last edited by carlyrox; 21st April 2014 at 03:37.

Master
    I've got a Giant xtc carbon 29'er love it, it's a couple of years old now, had to change the brakes over from Avids to XT's as I couldn't get the feel for them or bleed them reliably other that that it's stock and been great fun.

I've only ridden 29'ers over the last five or six years I always felt confined / cramped on 26

As most have already said, see if you can try them out for fit first

Journeyman
    Been riding mtb since 1988....have seen 26 front and 24 rear come and go, whacky disc wheels, flexi-stems, elliptical chain rings, bmx style pads for top tubes, etc, wondering how long 29er will be here.....saw a couple of guys on them last week, the proportions look way off....is it just more marketing?
    Anyway, I'm dyed in the wool 26er, and would recommend going with a good second hand top line bike, I will give a thumbs up for either Spec Stumpjumper HT Carbon or an S-Works Epic if you want a full susser?

Grand Master
    I think 29 is here to stay, all Specialized full sussers are now 29", they no longer do 26, same with a few other companies. I can see the benefit of 29", but as others say, don't really like the aesthetics of them.

2x10 is just gear ratio, it covers a similar level to the older 3x9, but you can tweak it as well, i run both 2x10 and 3x9, and on steep hills you can feel a difference as the lowest ratio on my 2x10 is 26:32 (front cog:cassette cog), whereas on my 3x9 it is 22:32, so a bit more effort required to get up hills with a 2x10, but lighter weight and less hassle overall, i like the 2x10 as it's also quite clean.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    I think 29 is here to stay, all Specialized full sussers are now 29", they no longer do 26, same with a few other companies. I can see the benefit of 29", but as others say, don't really like the aesthetics of them.

2x10 is just gear ratio, it covers a similar level to the older 3x9, but you can tweak it as well, i run both 2x10 and 3x9, and on steep hills you can feel a difference as the lowest ratio on my 2x10 is 26:32 (front cog:cassette cog), whereas on my 3x9 it is 22:32, so a bit more effort required to get up hills with a 2x10, but lighter weight and less hassle overall, i like the 2x10 as it's also quite clean.
    Yes 29 is here to stay and so is 26 and 27.5. I now run a 1 x 10 its all you need for anything inc Wales (If you are fit, which if you are doing Wales you normally are!)

I have just cleaned this and now its available, one of the best full sus I have ever rode

RIAC

^^that's real nice. I agree that 1x10 is all you 'should' need :-) you get the benefit of weight reduction, better bottom end clearance and less maintenance to boot. I'm currently running an On-One 456 carbon hard tail.

Journeyman
    How much weight does the chain device add to the 456, versus the chainrings?

Grand Master
    It's not the weight really it's the maintainance plus simplicity and clean passage
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    [ ... ] and the two new wheel sizes.
    I thought "29er" was the common 700C size rim with mountain bike tyres fitted ? The Americans like inches better than fruity foreign sounding 700C, so "29er" keeps them in the Man Zone.

What's the other "new" size ? I don't keep up with MTB bikes. Is it 650B, renamed as something less French Farmer sounding ?

Paul ( 650A for the win ... )

Has anyone got or tried either of the CALIBRE BIKES?
    Seem good value for the spec.
    Looking to replace my cheapy Saracen Element2.

What's the current thinking on pedals? Flats or SPD's.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I thought "29er" was the common 700C size rim with mountain bike tyres fitted ? The Americans like inches better than fruity foreign sounding 700C, so "29er" keeps them in the Man Zone.

What's the other "new" size ? I don't keep up with MTB bikes. Is it 650B, renamed as something less French Farmer sounding ?

Paul ( 650A for the win ... )
    Lets keep it simple

26"
    27.5"
    29"

No one was ever going to go for a mild improvement like 27.5 so 29 was introduced as a big jump then all the cons of a larger wheel and benifits of a smaller wheel could be had in one size (27.5 or 650b) Anyway its all a load of shite just get your leg over it and spin
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by darrenb View Post
    How much weight does the chain device add to the 456, versus the chainrings?
    Depends on the number and spec of chain rings... It is a very light device. Plus no front derailleur, cable, and shifter. It's all about simplicity and maintenance though! Any weight shaved off is irrelevant for me as the only race I'm likely to won is the one to the front of the buffet queue:-)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Lets keep it simple

26"
    27.5"
    29"

No one was ever going to go for a mild improvement like 27.5 so 29 was introduced as a big jump then all the cons of a larger wheel and benifits of a smaller wheel could be had in one size (27.5 or 650b) Anyway its all a load of shite just get your leg over it and spin

It's all horses for courses, outside of the top competitors, there isn't much of a difference, you turn the cranks which turn the wheels, similar amounts of effort are required, i tend to stick to 26" as it's easier and cheaper to source decent tyres, wheels, forks, etc, as i tend to buy 3 year old stuff, as it's a lot cheaper.

Yes, I merely meant to say that the "new" wheel sizes are anything but new. The old 650B and 700C renamed for the MTB crowd. Always thought it odd that 26 inch was "the" tyre for MTBs until recently, even on large frames. Suppose it was just waiting for the tyre manufacturers to make MTB tyre moulds for the other sizes, but they wouldn't do that until someone made frames and forks that would fit. Chicken and egg but they eventually got there - and drives customer demand I expect !

Journeyman
    Just cant see what all the fuss is about.....its not like index shifting or hyperglide or upside down shifters or proper air assisted forks or hydraulic disc brakes were when they arrived on the scene.....plus I have less rotational mass with my 26ers....

......lights blue touch-paper and retires........

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    ..... had to change the brakes over from Avids to XT's as I couldn't get the feel for them or bleed them reliably other that that it's stock and been great fun.
    In hindsight this is what I should have done with the brakes on my Boardman HT Pro. I have had to replace the internals on the calipers and levers, both front and rear. Then I had the joy of bleeding them.

Journeyman
    Lets keep it simple

26"
    27.5"
    29"
    Be careful with this. 650B is NOT 27.5". It's actually less than an inch bigger than 26". To call it 27.5 really is a shameful marketing ploy by (some of) the industry to make the less informed think that its midway between 26 and 29. In reality (as the figures suggest) the difference between 26 and 27.5 is barely detectable, so it should go;
    26"
    27"
    29"
    This means from a buying POV, if you're not big on 29ers, a 650B or a 26" will be fine. I'm still on 26 and will only change to 650B when my SC blue LTc has had it. Some people love 29ers, some don't. Just demo one of each. Also worth noting that spesh have also gone down the 650B route now, too so it's fair to say its here to stay.

Master
    From my experience I use a 29er for more sedate stuff around the park with my daughter and commuting as it does seem to roll faster. On the infrequent occasion I am off road them my 6 year old marin with 26 wheels wins every time. Much more fun and easier to throw around. I am sure a 650b would be similar.
    Last edited by StuS; 21st April 2014 at 20:02.

Some of the 29'ers look oddly proportioned.

Any of you on here frequent the trails on Cannock Chase?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Some of the 29'ers look oddly proportioned.
    It's horses for courses really, one of the main reasons I tried out a 29er is being 6'4" they look normal in XL size. I agree that small/medium framed 29ers can look a bit odd in the same way as XL 26" bikes looked like farm gates with pram wheels on!

As a first point of call buy what fits you in terms of the geometry and what you want to use it for. You will mostly find hardtails are branded as "XC" or "Trail", the former tending to be a little more race focussed and the latter a bit more upright and comfortable.

I have an Orange Clockwork 29er (XL) which I built up from a frame and it is the most comfortable, fun bike (for the type of riding I do) I have ever owned. I spend about the same budget as you and ended up with this.

My old XL Spesh Enduro (26"), effectionately referred to by my mates as the 5 bar gate.

Last edited by warns74; 22nd April 2014 at 16:50.

I'm a few years out of the loop, but remember the gist of it was that 29inch wheels roll better over obstacles, bumps etc, they effectively smoothed out the terrain as the wheel hits it at a shallower angle. This is at the cost of slower acceleration compared to a 26inch. Due to geometry issues, they were btter suited to the larger frame sizes and hence taller riders.
    If you can't decide between 26 or 29inch, there is always a 69er, they were all the rage a few years ago weren't they? 26inch wheel at the rear to keep the acceleration, then a 29inch at the front for the better rolling. just meant you had 2 sizes of inner tube to carry with you.

Brighty

Banned
    Thanks for all the tips, it's certainly more complexed than before, maybe a 650b on a M size frame might do the job. I'm going to look again at the Boardman and will check out a few others before buying at the weekend.

If buying new and you don't already know about it, check out the 'cycle to work' scheme, which if your employer registers could save you a chunk of cash over the full rrp.
    Brighty

Master
    Just a quick heads up. Might be worth getting MBR magazine (out next wednesday), 16 hardtails being reviewed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hupfH...&feature=share
    Last edited by warns74; 23rd April 2014 at 14:16.

Journeyman
    Worth checking out the classifieds on pinkbike:

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list...cation=193-*-*

Journeyman
    If you're a medium, this is rather nice;
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/to...e-853-for-sale

I just bought this Specialized Rockhopper 29 two days ago after 26 years on a Nishiki Ariel. Taking it out for a shakedown run Thursday. Way under your price, though.

Banned
    I bought the Boardman Pro29er today, I got 10% off as my friend works for Sky, so for £899 I think is pretty hard to beat.

Grand Master
    Surprised you didnt go for a Specialized Carve Comp
    RIAC

Banned
    Surprised you didnt go for a Specialized Carve Comp
    Too big Kerry, this is M size, and probably too much bike as well.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Too big Kerry, this is M size, and probably too much bike as well.
    No I meant a new one
    RIAC

Banned
    No I meant a new one
    I had a look at the different specs on various bikes, but I thought the boardman came out on top, you will know a lot more than me, but is there a new bike available for under £900 with a better spec?

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtb/29er_pro.html

Grand Master
    Crave is comparable its not just spec its frame geometry and quality, the components will come and go
    RIAC

Master
    I purchased a 2014 Cannondale Trail 6, never been a MTBer.

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/ca...il-6-2014.html

I got it for leisure rides, child seat on the back etc. It's in medium and it feels great. I took it out locally (Minus child seat!) on some trails and hills in the forest near me and it was a blast! Would i be able to take it round some of the trails at Cannock Chase or is it just not a good idea?

I didnt go for a 29er, i just dont like the feel of them so its standard size wheels.

I was in the same boat, and everyone said buy used, I was thinking of spending a lot more. But decided against it. Bought this only yesterday for £100

Felt Q520 2011.

Last edited by gazzafaegreenock; 12th October 2014 at 18:34.

Master
    The only thing I would add is the it is all about the bike - riding around on a POS will put you right off cycling in no time.

Silly question though - do you actually want an MTB? If you are not actually planning on hitting Cwmcarn or equivalent and are more likely to be commuting or going round the park then a road bike or a 'crosser to allow for some light off road will be a way better bet. So much faster and easier to live with. You would not believe how much more effort it is to ride something with 26" fat knobbly tyres, lugging around kilos of suspension than it is to rocket away on a road bike or a crosser.

I'm a little OTT as there are nine bikes currently in the stable ranging from a Pashley postie's bike through to full carbon exotica - but my go-to steed for general duties is a Cannondale CX running full 'guards, 28mm schwalbes, humble Shimano 105 compact gearing and a front end hydraulic disc conversion. 90% as fast as my high end road bike but can deal with almost anything off- road too. Makes the MTBers cry on Tarmac sections and eats most road bikes on descents with the added stopping power.

Always makes me laugh seeing guys riding around town on downhill bikes. Tools to suit the job!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    Always makes me laugh seeing guys riding around town on downhill bikes. Tools to suit the job!
    I agree but i raise a smile more (& Im probably going to get flamed for this) when you see a pot bellied 40 something man on a road bike pottering round town dressed in his full lycra team Sky get up sporting aero dynamic helmet and racing glasses.

Journeyman

I really want the Cube Hyde for 2014.

Master
    IMHO the right bike is the one you ride on a regular bases, better the "wrong" bike ridden regularly that n+1 bikes ridden once or twice a year.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenb View Post
    Been riding mtb since 1988....have seen 26 front and 24 rear come and go, whacky disc wheels, flexi-stems, elliptical chain rings, bmx style pads for top tubes, etc,
    I had completely forgotten about those wheels. Can anyone remember what they were called? As I remember they had some kind of plastic covers over what looked like some carbon fibre type string. Tried a google search, but no joy. The Girvin flex stem is a blast from the past. I did love the Proflex bikes back in the day though.

Blog Entries
    Tioga Disc Drives? Worth a small fortune now for a good one

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian99 View Post
    I agree but i raise a smile more (& Im probably going to get flamed for this) when you see a pot bellied 40 something man on a road bike pottering round town dressed in his full lycra team Sky get up sporting aero dynamic helmet and racing glasses.

Unfortunately I'm the wrong side of 40, carrying a couple of extra pounds (only a couple though!) and on a long ride or a club ride I do Lycra-up :-D TBH though you don't want to do much more than thirty miles without a chamois, and on a road bike I think you look even dafter in shorts over Lycra which is the only real alternative :-D

In my defence however mine is all generic black rather than team colours (save a couple of well earned charity event tops)

Now seeing someone riding around in world champion stripes - that does make me giggle!

Master
    Then of course there's always Lampre Man!

http://gallery.roadbikereview.com/sh...re-kit/cat/500

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Tioga Disc Drives? Worth a small fortune now for a good one
    That's the one :D

Quote Originally Posted by Ian99 View Post
    I purchased a 2014 Cannondale Trail 6, never been a MTBer.

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/ca...il-6-2014.html

I got it for leisure rides, child seat on the back etc. It's in medium and it feels great. I took it out locally (Minus child seat!) on some trails and hills in the forest near me and it was a blast! Would i be able to take it round some of the trails at Cannock Chase or is it just not a good idea?

I didnt go for a 29er, i just dont like the feel of them so its standard size wheels.
    Should be ok for Cannock.
    My Carrera Fury takes the trails ok.