closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best of the GMTs?

The best of the GMTs?

In all, there have been 7 variants of the GMT Master, and it all started in 1954 with the 6542 (made famous by Pussy Galore in my favourite of the "old" bond movies, and which was developed for Pan Am as a tool for their pilots). I've had four different models so far, but this has to be the best of them; all the vintage loveliness of the much-vaunted 1675 but with a higher beat movement and quick-set date.

The 16750 was produced from 1981-1988, but only the earlier models had a matt dial. The gloss dial with white gold indices is still a lovely watch... just not quite as lovely.

I think the 16750 is one of the most underrated vintage Rolex models. Let's see some more!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 20th April 2014 at 21:09.

That is a lovely watch. I'm jealous whenever I see it. Ticks my boxes does that.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    In all, there have been 7 variants of the GMT Master, and it all started in 1954 with the 6542 (made famous by Pussy Galore in my favourite of the "old" bond movies, and which was developed for Pan Am as a tool for their pilots). I've had four different models so far, but this has to be the best of them; all the vintage loveliness of the much-vaunted 1675 but with a higher beat movement and quick-set date.

The 16750 was produced from 1981-1988, but only the earlier models had a matt dial. The gloss dial with white gold indices is still a lovely watch... just not quite as lovely.

I think the 16750 is one of the most underrated vintage Rolex models. Let's see some more!
    Are they underrated?

Banned
    Don't get them. Never have. I mean, the EU is an hour here, or there, so is it that hard?

However, I just wanted to say, Tony, that is one nice watch (if it's your thang man) and exquisitely presented for forum viewing pleasure.

Thanks for taking the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Fatman View Post
    Are they underrated?
    I think so. The 1675 is considered the most desirable of all GMT models by many, but the earlier 16750s have all of it's best features and more.

Did Rolex ever make a GMT without the crown guards? Like the one used for the oldest subs?

Beautiful photos as always.

Made so much better now you have turned the lights on...

Quote Originally Posted by andamanen View Post
    Did Rolex ever make a GMT without the crown guards? Like the one used for the oldest subs?
    Yes - 6542 had no crown guards!

I agree with the OP about the 16750 and am actively seeking one after a sort out of surplus pieces!

Nice pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakadu View Post
    Yes - 6542 had no crown guards!
    That looks really nice (after googling some pictures). But I'm afraid to look up prices for that model.

I think so. The 1675 is considered the most desirable of all GMT models by many, but the earlier 16750s have all of it's best features and more.
    Ah OK. I had them down as one of the more desirable models for the reasons you state.

Very nice!

When will the one star fairy strike!?

I love my 1675, but the lack of a quick-set date can be a bit of a pain.

I completely agree. The matte dial 16750 has always been my favourite GMT. It's simply the best of both worlds.

Plus, mine is my daughter's favorite watch (she's 5 and already quite picky about watches!) so it's definitely a keeper. An old pic while I still had it on the jubilee:

Quote Originally Posted by andamanen View Post
    That looks really nice (after googling some pictures). But I'm afraid to look up prices for that model.
    There are a few on the vintage rolex forum - prices from 12500 euros and upwards! sorry OT - 6542 stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Kakadu View Post
    There are a few on the vintage rolex forum - prices from 12500 euros and upwards! sorry OT - 6542 stuff
    Apology unnecessary - I wouldn't mind one myself, but I can't see it happening any time soon.

Apology unnecessary - I wouldn't mind one myself, but I can't see it happening any time soon.
    I am very keen on the 16750......prices seem much keener in the US - these days I don't go there and all my mates
    who travelled to and fro have retired so duty kills that avenue. I agree the matte dial has something the later dials
    don't.

Red face

Tony, that's a lovely 16750! I agree the matt dials look stunning. :)

i assume you have the full package with your one?
    Last edited by The Hack; 20th April 2014 at 22:38.

Master

That's one Beautiful Watch.
    I love the colours.

A splendid watch indeed Tony. A prime example too, I am almost jealous.

Yes, this is a nice one, although sadly not a full set. I think it came from Andrew Shear, though, so the provenance is good.

One of the best looking Rolex'.

Beautifully presented by the way.

Mitch

Master
    I know it's a clique thing, a bit of hype and a small group of worshipers, but I think the blue / red looks so tacky and makes the watch look like an Argos special.

Obviously that's a personal opinion, and I understand all sides of the argument. I am a "Rolex man" so I get that - just not the awful colour scheme.

Having said that, once again your photo skills are wonderful Tony, and deserve to be specifically praised.

EDIT - I'm a "kid" compared to a lot here (mid 30-s) so maybe it's a generational thing - I am used to modern styles and have never lived through the 70's as an adult, so perhaps that's why I dont appreciate these things

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Don't get them. Never have. I mean, the EU is an hour here, or there, so is it that hard?
    Some of us travel further than Western Europe - often a great deal further!

Is the original watch a proper, "global" GMT, by which I mean at least the bezel can be set to half-hour zones? If not it's not a true GMT, one that can actually go everywhere and still be useful as an actual GMT.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

However, I just wanted to say, Tony, that is one nice watch (if it's your thang man) and exquisitely presented for forum viewing pleasure.

I know you don't like them, Steve... don't know why, they're lovely things and it's a more useful complication than most. Well, it's not a complication on this one, it's a bezel - you know what I mean though

Master
    Tony, I have meant to say I am so bloody glad that you have removed SEB from your Avatar. I like the nudey woman better. To be fair, I'd find a puddle of sick more preferable than SEB.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Tony, I have meant to say I am so bloody glad that you have removed SEB from your Avatar. I like the nudey woman better. To be fair, I'd find a puddle of sick more preferable than SEB.
    Heidi Klum. To be fair, it was that specific photo of SEB that I liked, rather than SEB per se

Master
    Heidi Klum. To be fair, it was that specific photo of SEB that I liked, rather than SEB per se
    Heidi Klum.. did I ever tell you that story of me and Heidi Klum in Paris, after a catwalk appearance.......

+1. SEB's version of "Murder on the Dancefloor" sung with a mouth full of plums and crusty accent was one of the worst examples of attitude over aptitude and product over content that the UK has seen for a longtime. Make Music not product Sophie.

Absolutely gorgeous watch though...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MerlinShepherd View Post
    +1. SEB's version of "Murder on the Dancefloor" sung with a mouth full of plums and crusty accent was one of the worst examples of attitude over aptitude and product over content that the UK has seen for a longtime. Make Music not product Sophie.

Absolutely gorgeous watch though...
    Quote of the century! Simon Cowell better read this and take note!

Seriously though, in a weird way, people who dont know you see you as your avatar, and SEB just pissed me off. I feel much more mellow towards you now it's Heidi Klum

EDIT - not that my very humble opinion means (or should mean) a flying f*ck to anyone

I know it's a clique thing, a bit of hype and a small group of worshipers, but I think the blue / red looks so tacky and makes the watch look like an Argos special.

Obviously that's a personal opinion, and I understand all sides of the argument. I am a "Rolex man" so I get that - just not the awful colour scheme.

Having said that, once again your photo skills are wonderful Tony, and deserve to be specifically praised.

EDIT - I'm a "kid" compared to a lot here (mid 30-s) so maybe it's a generational thing - I am used to modern styles and have never lived through the 70's as an adult, so perhaps that's why I dont appreciate these things
    I do like the original red/blue bezel but went out of my way to find an example where the colours had faded and the red had turned magenta..........

Last edited by Jack Norman; 21st April 2014 at 07:25.

Master

Another in the mid 30s here, but I unashamedly love the Pepsi GMT and have a 16710 and a 1675. It just comes down to personal taste.

Can't go wrong with any Pepsi, lovely splash of colour and it's a perfect summer watch, mines a 16710. Great example you have Tony.

This thread needs more photos guys!

Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post

In my family from new in '86

I swapped the insert for a faded one, and the plexi for a high hat (kept the originals safe)

My '77 has enough Trit patina for both of them ;-)

Last edited by MuRph77; 21st April 2014 at 10:34.

Master
    The matte maxi dial, lovely patina in combination with the Pepsi bezel looks simply delicious. Having said that, your Panerai pictures made me look into those monsters, so I need to appreciate your photo voodoo with caution. :)

Grand Master
    Like any watch,a vast choice to be had.
    All down to what we actually like tbh.

If you simply want a GMT watch and a good quality one at that,then it seems the Dreadnought GMT i has been the bargain of late.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    The matte maxi dial, lovely patina in combination with the Pepsi bezel looks simply delicious. Having said that, your Panerai pictures made me look into those monsters, so I need to appreciate your photo voodoo with caution. :)
    Haha... yes, I've been accused of that before

No longer with me and I'm not much of a photographer:

Just to emphasise Tony's photography skills:

Never 'did it' for me, but I'll be damned if I know why

Fine.

Only because GMTs are the bomb...

But I reckon they're all good...

I was a fan of the 16753. Same movement, just two tone and for a while it came with the "nipple dial" :

Rolex 16753 by amokaya

I bought that one from Jedly, and would have kept it but for the fact that Rolex said they would not service it without replacing the dial with the later non-nipple one. Replaced it with an Orient Excursionist. Similar movement, not quite the same overall though

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I was a fan of the 16753. Same movement, just two tone and for a while it came with the "nipple dial" :[...]
    If you're talking about underrated/underappreciated GMTs, the older 18K/stainless models certainly qualify. They had some great dial and insert options as well.

I was a fan of the 16753. Same movement, just two tone and for a while it came with the "nipple dial" :

Rolex 16753 by amokaya

I bought that one from Jedly, and would have kept it but for the fact that Rolex said they would not service it without replacing the dial with the later non-nipple one. Replaced it with an Orient Excursionist. Similar movement, not quite the same overall though

Paul
    Oooh - that's nice.

What's the availability like and the very lowest likely price for a 'fat lady' Sophia Loren varient?

Currently saving for my first SS sports Rolex and trying to find the right point to stop saving and start spending. Not fussed about boxes, papers or wear/tear (as long as mechanically sound and not polished away), don't mind frankens as long as real parts used, but having trouble pinning the exact model down I want between sub/explorer/gmt/sea dweller. I reckon the bigger cased GMT with a coke bezel and maxi dial would be my perfect Rolex.

I see my old 16750 has been posted a couple of times on this thread already but there's no harm in one more pic...

I totally agree that this is one of the best affordable Rolex GMTs out there.

Having said that, I still can't believe you let that amazing gilt dial go Tony...!

Quote Originally Posted by lawnmowerman78 View Post
    ...Having said that, I still can't believe you let that amazing gilt dial go Tony...!
    Same reason I sold my equally lovely 5513 of a similar age, Paul. I've replaced both with gorgeous examples that are 15-20 years newer. More robust, and more wearable without worrying unduly about them.

Same reason I sold my equally lovely 5513 of a similar age, Paul. I've replaced both with gorgeous examples that are 15-20 years newer. More robust, and more wearable without worrying unduly about them.
    Both valid points, Tony!

I'm watching the Patek (Patrick?!!) thread with interest - another lunch will certainly be overdue when that one reaches a conclusion...!

would have kept it but for the fact that Rolex said they would not service it without replacing the dial with the later non-nipple one.
    Rolex refused to service your watch without changing a non-functional (ie a part that doesn't affect the actual mechanism of the watch) part?!?!?!

What was their justification for that? I presume the dial was an original Rolex feature not and aftermarket one?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

The dial was indeed an original Rolex feature. Later models had the standard indices. Rolex would not service the watch without replacing the dial with one of the later ones, as they have no spares for the original "nipple dial". I queried this directly with Rolex, who understood, but they said "Rolex Japan does not have a vintage policy" ( rough translation ). I took this to mean that if I want the watch serviced, they will replace worn parts with new ones, model-correct, but not necessarily identical to the original. As this would have ruined my nipple dial GMT, I just sold the watch. At a dismal loss it must be said. I'm sure an independent would have serviced the watch for me and left the dial, but I wanted Rolex to do it. It's something to bear in mind when hunting these old ones. Even Rolex will run out of spares, and then you are into selective maintenance or butchery.

Paul

The World is a big place for those that pluck up the courage to leave the village!

'The World is a book and those that do not travel read only one page.' Saint Augustine.

I rather like having wanderlust and curiousity and having a use for a GMT watch.