closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A collection on a budget

Seiko SNZH55 - Fifty Five Fathoms

Comes with a chunky metal bracelet, or they look just as good on a fabric or leather strap.
    Modified using a custom dial - the Fifty Five Fathoms can be found second hand for £150 to £180 depending on condition.
    A good all rounder.

Last edited by Reeny; 22nd April 2014 at 12:26. Reason: It is 55 Fathoms (not 50)

Quote Originally Posted by pashmolean View Post
    I was expecting (hoping) it was small, it's not.
    That's the only thing that has stopped me from getting one. Incredible value none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    Comes with a chunky metal bracelet, or they look just as good on a fabric or leather strap.
    Modified using a custom dial - the Fifty Five Fathoms can be found second hand for £150 to £180 depending on condition.
    A good all rounder.

Looks great. What's the case size and lug to lug please? Is the mod aftermarket or do Seiko offer them as pictured?

42mm diamter without crown / 45mm with crown / 14mm thick / 47mm lug to lug / 22mm lug width.

The dials are non standard, available from Dagaz http://www.10watches.com/apps/websto.../610630?page=1
    It is normally a do it your self modification.
    Although there was a modifier in the Netherlands selling complete watches at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    42mm diamter without crown / 45mm with crown / 14mm thick / 47mm lug to lug / 22mm lug width.

The dials are non standard, available from Dagaz http://www.10watches.com/apps/websto.../610630?page=1
    It is normally a do it your self modification.
    Although there was a modifier in the Netherlands selling complete watches at one time.
    Thanks Reeny. I think 40mm is my limit case wise tho. It looks a lot of watch for the money.

Craftsman
    I'd get a combination of a Hamilton Jazzmaster for dress watch, a Longines Hydroquest and the remainder on a Tissot

Craftsman
    Smiths Everest on NATO, leather and bracelet.
    Saved you a ton of cash, let's go down the pub.

Master
    Personally, I'd make one or more of them quartz watches - perhaps a G-Shock of some sort for under £100, then an Omega SMP Quartz 41mm or mid-size or an Aqua Terra Quartz for £600 - £800. You get a lot of bang for your buck with Omega quartz - versatile movement with quickset hour hand for travel, robust and well made. The AT is simple and stylish enough to be either dress or everyday, or both; then the auto could be a Seiko Diver of some sort; or, if you prefer the SMP quartz, then look for sort of Seiko dress style like the SARB.

Another alternative for everyday use and one that I keep coming back to, which holds my personal record for the longest period of continuous use (~ 10 years), is the 38mm Revue Thommen Airspeed Quartz Chrono. Not a dress watch, but an excellent everyday/weekend wearer. Should be able to find one LNIB for under £600, which would leave enough for the dress watch and the plastic fantastic.

You'd be best with the Omega to buy used - a better use of the money - all but one of mine were bought used.

I'd also be tempted by this Fortis on SC for £700, leaving me £200 - £250 for a cheap dress watch and £50 - £100 for a Casio G-Shock.

Last edited by HappyJack; 23rd April 2014 at 02:55. Reason: Added the Fortis after seeing it on SC

Apprentice
    I do not think it is a good idea to start with a set of 3 watches. You do not know what you like yet.

I would suggest to buy a watch that fits your budget (The Visodate is a good start), wear it for a while and then you will know better what you like/are looking for.

Craftsman

Cool

All here for the taking :-

1 - Everest
    2 - PRS 18q
    3 - PRS 3, You may be able to pick up an LE from the sales corner
    & you are off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Tissot Visodate
    Seiko Monster
    PR150

Journeyman
    Hey Plastic, any purchases as yet?

One watch will do dress, weekend AND everyday - the speedbird III
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Banned
    You're gonna need to work a bit to get these in budget but:

Rolex Oyster Precision
    g shock solar atomic
    Vintage Girard Perregaux along these lines

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarders View Post
    Hey Plastic, any purchases as yet?
    Hi, I've started off with a Seiko sarb oo35. It works well for me as an everyday as I wear a suit to work. I also thought it seems great value & an easy way into the mechanical watch world. Just waiting for it to arrive now. Very excited :-)

Journeyman
    Nice Seiko, a good start! A leather and a steel strap will mean it could suit almost any occasion. Are you still after a dress watch? My dad gave me his watch a few years back and I've been using that as my dress watch, it's only occasional use and it has meaning, but it's not expensive. Might be worth a rummage at home!

Journeyman

Exclamation Its Arrived!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yarders View Post
    Nice Seiko, a good start! A leather and a steel strap will mean it could suit almost any occasion. Are you still after a dress watch? My dad gave me his watch a few years back and I've been using that as my dress watch, it's only occasional use and it has meaning, but it's not expensive. Might be worth a rummage at home!
    Hurray, my Sarb0035 arrived yesterday after two weeks of waiting and I must say it is a beautiful thing. I keep looking at it like a little boy with a new toy

I love the colour of the face. It's really fresh and clear and I think the hands are beautiful and precise looking. All in all I think it looks like an awful lot more watch than in cost to buy.

Its perfect for what I need (everyday with a suit). I'm tempted to buy a leather strap as well but reports on this forum of difficulty in changing the bracelet are putting me off. Any thoughts from Sarb owners? Please bear in mind I've never changed a strap or done anything to a watch and am not known for my dexterity!!!

I'd post some pics but have no idea how yet!!

Master

Dont worry!

Congratulations on your new watch,regarding strap changes I don't care for bracelets in general,so they come off straight away.
    I have removed my Speedbird and Everest with no damage,very quickly without damage(and they are quite a tight fit).Some people tape the case up,but most importantly IMO is take your time!
    When removing a metal bracelet,you need to lay the watch face down on something soft.Then release one side first with a spring bar removal tool, make sure the spring bar moves slightly towards the back of the watch away from that hole,go to the second hole and release that side,all the time make sure your fingers are on the front of the watch,so the bracelet and spring bars cant pop out and mark the front of the watch.As you ease the freed spring bars,and bracelet out of the lugs,do it SLOWLY so as not to damage the back of the watch.
    When refitting either bracelet or leather strap,always work from back,again with your fingers on the front of watch so there is no chance of the spring bars,popping through and scratching the face of the lugs.I use my finger nail when fitting the spring bars back in,some people use spring bar tool,knife or small screwdriver use whatever you find comfortable.
    Everyone has a different method,hope this helps.
    Last edited by barryw; 13th May 2014 at 17:30.