closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A collection on a budget

Journeyman

Red face A collection on a budget

So, 3 watches. One dress, one everyday (wearable with a suit) and one for the weekend. Preferably automatic and all for an absolute max of £1,000. Have you done it? What would you recommend? Thanks in advance

Ive done it on less than half of that so my choices might be a bit too bargain basement for you!

(Amphibia, Seiko 5 and PRS29a)

Craftsman
    Not quite the same however I only have a modest 3-watch collection (of which two are autos) which consists of a Tissot Visodate, Precista PRS-82 and a G-Shock Rangeman. Covers the bases I need.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Ive done it on less than half of that so my choices might be a bit too bargain basement for you!

(Amphibia, Seiko 5 and PRS29a)
    I'm open to everything, just after ideas. Please excuse my ignorance but what is an Amphibia?

Craftsman
    Hm. Interesting question. I don't know where this will end up yet but I'd reckon that half your budget al least should go on the every day watch as that is the one you'll wear most often. So, at £500-£600 there are some good offerings from Hamilton. You might also be in the price range for Archimede if you wanted and you might even stretch to Stowa. There are others in this price range, I'm just mentioning the ones I know. If a chrono takes your fancy it might be worth looking at a Strela while you can still get one with the 3133 movement.

For the weekend I'd go with a Vostok Amphibia. Interesting, robust and waterproof. Get it from Meranom and it'll probably set you back around £70 depending on what you choose.

Dress? Well you should have around £200 left for that. I don't know much about dress watches as they're not really my thing but I'm sure you can pick something up for that. You might want to consider second hand as well as new, and hand wound rather than automatic there if you won't be wearing it that often.

I will watch this thread with interest. Let us know how you get on

A G-shock for a weekend/beater is a good start. A decent model can be had for £100.

I'd then say the Smith's Everest PRS25 at £245 new. This will suit everyday, and will look great on the bracelet it comes with, a leather strap and NATOs.

And then I'd agree on the Tissot Visodate at £385 new for a dress watch.

Grand total of £730 which leaves room for a cheap box, a selection of straps and some cheap-ish tools to change them with.

Tissot Visodate, Speedbird 3 and Seiko SNZH 55j1

Quote Originally Posted by Plastic View Post
    I'm open to everything, just after ideas. Please excuse my ignorance but what is an Amphibia?
    Sorry - shouldn't make assumptions about what people know

Vostok Amphibia (auto)
    Lovely Russian watches - hard as nails and great performers - available new in a range of styles for under £50. Add another £40 for a Murphy bezel and nicer strap to replace the poor (IMO) standard bracelet and you have a very nice watch indeed. I think every one should have one at least once.

Seiko SNSX79K (auto)
    Seiko - sometimes described as the Toyota of the watch world. This one is a great performer - modded mine with dateless dial. Just over £50 new though to be fair mine is heading towards £100 taking into account the dial change and new Hirsch Duke leather strap. Mainly used for office / work.

Smiths PRS29a (manual)
    Wonderfull repro of the forces issue classic. My most expensive to date at £280. Possibly a keeper depending on what new TF models emerge - the proposed chrono might prompt a flip dependent upon its size and price. For the time being this is a lovely little thing to wear

Last edited by Velorum; 20th April 2014 at 20:22. Reason: spelling

Grand Master
    here is my lot: £1000 would net these.

ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I've managed to cover all bases I feel I need with just two watches with a total outlay of less than 600GBP - a Seiko Sarb035 and a Timefactors (Smiths) PRS-29A.
    The Sarb035 is quite dressy on bracelet but the 29A is very versatile and comes with NATO and leather straps that can be easily changed to suit your vibe.
    My plan is to enjoy these watches and save for a Z serial or later 36mm Rolex Explorer. That's the plan anyway!

Dress: vintage Omega Seamaster, ca. 1950s

Everyday: Seiko Sumo

Weekend: pretty much any G-Shock

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I've managed to cover all bases I feel I need with just two watches with a total outlay of less than 600GBP - a Seiko Sarb035 and a Timefactors (Smiths) PRS-29A.
    The Sarb035 is quite dressy on bracelet but the 29A is very versatile and comes with NATO and leather straps that can be easily changed to suit your vibe.
    My plan is to enjoy these watches and save for a Z serial or later 36mm Rolex Explorer. That's the plan anyway!
    Interesting - I have a similar plan. Who knows what might happen in the meantime though!

I think that the 29a is fine for more formal wear on a nice leather strap

Master

Sorted!

A Speedbird 3,Smiths Everest and a Precista Prs 18A all from Timefactors.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Interesting - I have a similar plan. Who knows what might happen in the meantime though!

I think that the 29a is fine for more formal wear on a nice leather strap
    I agree. I've had the 29A on leather all weekend and just switched to NATO for a more casual vibe. Cracking watch!
    BTW I tried a Z serial Explorer on a few weeks ago and it was love at first sight. PERFECT size case for my wrists.

Craftsman
    As far as the dresswatch is concerned, I recommended the Tissot Visodate to a work colleague last year, and he absolutely loves it. Great watch.

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    A Speedbird 3,Smiths Everest and a Precista Prs 18A all from Timefactors.
    Cant argue much with that!

I was disappointed that the Everest felt too large for me - a shade smaller and it would have been a perfect watch. Some folk with smaller wrists than mine (6.75") get on fine with it though - its just a matter of personal preference at the end of the day

Master
    I would go for one quartz the 18Q as great value and frees up cash for the other two. Keep an eye out for a used Sinn 556 on SC and the Sarb looks a good option for a dress option, although I would use the Sinn as smart and get a 82 or 29.

Master

Lets go Russian!

Another alternative is a Beautiful paddle handed Strela,Sturmanskie chronograph both with 3133 movements and a Vostok Amphibian,with change for a few straps just lovely!

Blog Entries
    So, 3 watches.
    One dress,
    one everyday (wearable with a suit)
    one for the weekend.
    Could do worse than consider these...

Dress - Tissot Visiodate
    Everyday - Speedbird III
    Weekend - Glycine Combat Sub

z

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by patnmand View Post
    Hm. Interesting question. I don't know where this will end up yet but I'd reckon that half your budget al least should go on the every day watch as that is the one you'll wear most often. So, at £500-£600 there are some good offerings from Hamilton. You might also be in the price range for Archimede if you wanted and you might even stretch to Stowa. There are others in this price range, I'm just mentioning the ones I know. If a chrono takes your fancy it might be worth looking at a Strela while you can still get one with the 3133 movement.

For the weekend I'd go with a Vostok Amphibia. Interesting, robust and waterproof. Get it from Meranom and it'll probably set you back around £70 depending on what you choose.

Dress? Well you should have around £200 left for that. I don't know much about dress watches as they're not really my thing but I'm sure you can pick something up for that. You might want to consider second hand as well as new, and hand wound rather than automatic there if you won't be wearing it that often.

I will watch this thread with interest. Let us know how you get on

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd love a Stowa but presume you're talking used prices. Never thought about Russian but the Amphibia look like great value.

I did think of Archimidie. Has anyone got experience of them?
    Last edited by Plastic; 20th April 2014 at 23:59.

Master
    Personally I'd get a real cheapy from Argos for your dress watch - a non brand costing £50-£100 MAX - they can look really good if you aren't bothered about it not saying "Rolex" on the dial! Look for Rotary or similar and you'll get a really classy lookign watch that for a quick flash will look expensive and quality.

The every day / weekend watch can be (should be) the same watch, and at £900-950, the world is your oyster - I'd look for a used but good condition Breitling, or maybe a Tag if that's your thing, but personally I'd look out for a Breitling SuperOcean or similar. Maybe a colt. Try and get automatic for your money, rather than quartz.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Personally I'd get a real cheapy from Argos for your dress watch - a non brand costing £50-£100 MAX - they can look really good if you aren't bothered about it not saying "Rolex" on the dial! Look for Rotary or similar and you'll get a really classy lookign watch that for a quick flash will look expensive and quality.

The every day / weekend watch can be (should be) the same watch, and at £900-950, the world is your oyster - I'd look for a used but good condition Breitling, or maybe a Tag if that's your thing, but personally I'd look out for a Breitling SuperOcean or similar. Maybe a colt. Try and get automatic for your money, rather than quartz.

this...but I would probably forget the dress watch too or buy a G-shock for the weekend watch and do without the dress watch.

Maybe look at an Omega quartz too, would make a great everyday watch and weekend watch too.

For me a dress watch has to be a bit special.

Journeyman
    Dress: 1960s Omega seamaster

Here's mine. Fits nicely under a shirt cuff and beautiful to look at.

For a beater, I wear a Casio Protrex or a seiko skx007.

I've got some lovely watches of which many combis of three are around 1000 quid.

Of mine, I'd go Smiths Everest, Maranez Bangla and EITHER Steinhart Ocean One Vintage or Schuhren Commander. All bases covered and often overlapping!

I've done it for quite a bit less than budget, about £400, albeit two were bought second hand. I also like one auto and two quartzes.

Beater: Citizen Excalibur diver.
    Smart: Orient Star Somes, white dial. (incoming from the US currently)
    Chrono: Seiko JDM LE cushion case, white lume dial. A bit mad, but I like it a lot.

I may well add a sans-date hand winder soon, and that would blow the budget if I buy a Nomos...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sweepinghands View Post
    Dress: 1960s Omega seamaster

Here's mine. Fits nicely under a shirt cuff and beautiful to look at.

For a beater, I wear a Casio Protrex or a seiko skx007.
    Thanks again everyone. I've mentioned £1,000 but I suppose I don't really want to spend more than £500/600 on any one watch but perhaps ill look at that again.

I love the idea of vintage but wouldn't know where to start as I can imagine there is allot of rubbish out there. Any tips?

Lastly, am I being a snob wanting automatic or would I be better going for a good quartz at this price point?

Journeyman
    Personally, I would say handwound or automatic all the way.

By the way, my omega was $550 singapore dollar after itwas serviced and my skx007 was $220 singapore dollar. That's about 360pounds

Good luck hunting!

Lastly, am I being a snob wanting automatic or would I be better going for a good quartz at this price point?
    It's good to have a quartz in a collection, but not essential although they certainly have their uses. Accuracy and the ability to take a knock for a start.

All the ones I posted were autos except the Schuhren which is a hand wound and all the lovelier for it!

Some great mechanical watches to be had well within your budget.

I'd be tempted to spend most of the budget on a main watch - quite a few Omega options, in either quartz or auto. Then maybe a nice Smiths/Precista or Seiko and a dependable G-shock or similar.

It's not hard to get three great watches for £1k. How you distribute the money is down to your taste\requirements.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'd love a Stowa but presume you're talking used prices. Never thought about Russian but the Amphibia look like great value.

I did think of Archimidie. Has anyone got experience of them?
    I've got an Archimede. Good solid watch for the price in my opinion, nice Ickler case, ETA movements in most of them, and the majority are in your budget. For the dress watch another suggestion would be to have a look at the Orient range, particularly the Bambino. You have to get them from the continent again, but Seriouswatches.com in Holland has most of them. Cracking watches by all account - a Bambino automatic would set you back around £180.

Off the top of my head.......I would get.............Say a nice old vintage Seamaster deville or similar, .......hmmn then a Seiko Monster or similar..........then finally either a Tissot T touch or a Tag Heuer 200 quartz (or similar Tag Heuer) . Getting these used (even have enough for a new Monster or similar!) That's my £1000 spent............................................. ..........................................Then of course .....................after a while?.....................................the "fun"! starts when you decide to flip them for other watches!

There are some good options here, as it happens. I'd probably go for something like...

A nice vintage Longines or Omega for dress
    A Speedbird or PRS29/A from our host for every day
    A Seiko SKX007/9 for weekends

That would give you three lovely watches, and probably some change for a night out or two.

I love the idea of vintage but wouldn't know where to start as I can imagine there is allot of rubbish out there. Any tips?
    Nothing says that you're a man of discriminating taste and specialized knowledge quiet as well as a beautiful vintage watch. If you're uncertain of what you're looking at, ask here. The assembled experts are very happy to offer opinions. Just to whet your appetite further since a number of us are suggesting vintage Omega....

Thanks again everyone. I've mentioned £1,000 but I suppose I don't really want to spend more than £500/600 on any one watch but perhaps ill look at that again.

You would be much better off with quartz at this price point.

Mechanicals are far more fragile and need servicing. The cost of repair or service will be a very significant proportion of the retained value when the time comes. I think a lot of cheaper mechanicals get thrown into the back of drawers at this point.

With quartz, if you change the battery yourself, they cost you about £1 every three years or so.

Mitch

SMITHS Everest for every day - just under 250 quid for a brilliant sturdy watch that looks good smart or casual. Timefactors website.

If you can push this up to 400 budget, a Seiko SARB. My particular favourite is SARB023 white dial.

Dress watch - Orient Bambino. Similar to a Tissot Visodate but cheaper at around 100 new or even cheaper in a flash sale they often have. I'd go for the white dial with brown strap in steel.

Weekend - Seiko Monster or Speedbird III (regular or GMT), again from this forum's owner on Timefactors.

You'll have some superb watches at great value which will last a lifetime.

Master
    So, 3 watches. One dress, one everyday (wearable with a suit) and one for the weekend. Preferably automatic and all for an absolute max of £1,000. Have you done it? What would you recommend? Thanks in advance
    Dress - Orient 'Bambino'.
    Everyday - PRS22 'Speedbird III'.
    Weekend - Vostok 'Amphibia'.

Cheers

I've got an Archimede. Good solid watch for the price in my opinion, nice Ickler case, ETA movements in most of them, and the majority are in your budget. For the dress watch another suggestion would be to have a look at the Orient range, particularly the Bambino. You have to get them from the continent again, but Seriouswatches.com in Holland has most of them. Cracking watches by all account - a Bambino automatic would set you back around £180.
    By no means, why pay 180 when you can buy it for 75 ?!

Definitely an Orient for the dress. Something like the below can be had for below £300. If you want to keep it even lower, go for a Bambino which is only about £80 at creationwatches.

Seiko, especially the SARB line is also a name I would absolutely recommend.

Good luck hunting for your collection and definitely start a thread with your finds once done.

WOW, looks like I'm not the only one which is a fan of the Bambino :)
    Last edited by Dan83bz; 21st April 2014 at 15:12.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan83bz View Post
    Definitely an Orient for the dress. Something like the below can be had for below £300. If you want to keep it even lower, go for a Bambino which is only about £80 at creationwatches.
    Good point, for me though I'd go with SeriousWatches as Holland is a lot closer than the US, and they are also an Orient AD, which (and I could be wrong) I don't think CreationWatches are.

Journeyman
    By no means, why pay 180 when you can buy it for 75 ?!

Seiko, especially the SARB line is also a name I would absolutely recommend.

Good luck hunting for your collection and definitely start a thread with your finds once done.

WOW, looks like I'm not the only one which is a fan of the Bambino :)
    The Bambino's look like great value. I'm a newbie so forgive me for asking but are they reliable? I ask because they seem like allot of watch for the price.

Master
    Dress - Orient Bambino. (I do have a WTB for one!)
    Everyday- I wear either a Precista PRS14 or a PRS22.
    Weekend - PRS18q or a Vostok

I do think a Smiths Everest or a Speedbird III are great shouts as well. There are some great watches out there for those of us who don't have much money to spend..

Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post
    Nothing says that you're a man of discriminating taste and specialized knowledge quiet as well as a beautiful vintage watch. If you're uncertain of what you're looking at, ask here. The assembled experts are very happy to offer opinions. Just to whet your appetite further since a number of us are suggesting vintage Omega....

That's lovely Jeff.

Very hard to beat a vintage Omega for looks and quality.

As you know, I have a few.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    The Bambino's look like great value. I'm a newbie so forgive me for asking but are they reliable? I ask because they seem like allot of watch for the price.
    I don't have an Orient, but Orient owners are usually full of praise for them and I think they are pretty reliable. They are a lot of watch for the price, but if you hunt around the reviews etc on Google, they do seem to be well made.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    That's lovely Jeff.

Very hard to beat a vintage Omega for looks and quality.

As you know, I have a few.
    Thanks, Neil - yes, I've admired your collection for some time. This one is particularly stunning:

* One thing I never noticed on my watch until just today when I posted this pic - I have no doubt that the watch has been re-dialed at some point, but the "T Swiss Made T" would seem to be wrong for the era, which I believe to be roughly 1956-58. Just wondered if anyone knows any different, sorry for de-railing the thread.

Craftsman
    Vintage Omega or Longines plus Tissot Visodate would be good place to start, and would leave you with a few hundred to get whatever kind of sporty watch you would like for the weekend.

The Visodate is a nice automatic, the vintage would be either auto or manual wind, meaning there'd be nothing wrong with quartz or whatever for your weekend watch and you'd have all bases covered. Perhaps a Citizen Eco-Drive like their Red Arrows range.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin View Post
    Dress - Orient Bambino. (I do have a WTB for one!)
    Everyday- I wear either a Precista PRS14 or a PRS22.
    Weekend - PRS18q or a Vostok

I do think a Smiths Everest or a Speedbird III are great shouts as well. There are some great watches out there for those of us who don't have much money to spend..
    Thank you everyone for the advice. I'd like to try & encourage threads on affordable watches. Most of the threads I see seem to focus on expensive watches & don't get me wrong I'd love to own a Rolex or Omega or JLc but right now they're out if reach. I can't imagine I'm in the minority so let's celebrate what seems to a naive newbie like me to be a world of affordable watches.

Once I take the plunge ill put up some pics. I'm really tempted by a vintage Omega plus an Everest & maybe a Amphibia & quartz Breitling.

Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post

* One thing I never noticed on my watch until just today when I posted this pic - I have no doubt that the watch has been re-dialed at some point, but the "T Swiss Made T" would seem to be wrong for the era, which I believe to be roughly 1956-58. Just wondered if anyone knows any different, sorry for de-railing the thread.
    Yes it is Jeff.

I've never seen a T Swiss T on any 50's Omega, I have an idea it didn't appear until the '60's.

This is an original '50s Calendar with lumed hands which just shows Swiss Made, no T.

Cheers,
    Neil.

The only thing I find odd about the Bambino is the name. I was expecting (hoping) it was small, it's not.

I am quite an Orient fan myself, it's the most representative brand in my collection, especially the Orient Star models although I did own a few which had the same movement inside as the Bambino. This movement is basically bullet-proof-ish, very similar to how the 7S26 from Seiko is. In terms of accuracy I have found though that these Orient movements, despite similar prices, are much better regulated before leaving the factory than the 7S26, to put it simply, I have bought dozens of Orients literally, some new, some used, none so far have been running faster or slower than 10sec per day and I have a few that are simply amazing in accuracy terms, including some cheaper models.

So yes, although I am clearly a bit subjective towards Orient, I do have "experience" with them and would recommend buying one wholeheartedly. In fact, this whole talk has sparked THIS.

If you still have doubts, go through a few reviews such as this one and then I'm sure will make your mind up, welcome to the Orient club

Quote Originally Posted by pashmolean View Post
    The only thing I find odd about the Bambino is the name. I was expecting (hoping) it was small, it's not.
    This is simply a moniker given by fans and dealers alike. It's never been the "official" name given by Orient, the same as Planet Orient or others are not. Folks like catchy names, that's all.
    Last edited by Dan83bz; 22nd April 2014 at 11:55.

Good point, for me though I'd go with SeriousWatches as Holland is a lot closer than the US, and they are also an Orient AD, which (and I could be wrong) I don't think CreationWatches are.
    Indeed they are not. But at this price, and talking about Orient, if the watch works as it should when it arrives to me, at half the price in the case of the Bambino for example, there is little chance that something might happen to it in the second year of ownership (creation offers 1 year warranty instead of the 2). Plus, in my case, seriouswatches does not cater to all countries, mine being on the barred list for whatever reason.

And yes, in case you're wondering, there was an occasion where I bought a watch (a Hamilton though not an Orient) and I had to return it to creation, absolutely no issues and the whole process was quick.

Craftsman
    Indeed they are not. But at this price, and talking about Orient, if the watch works as it should when it arrives to me, at half the price in the case of the Bambino for example, there is little chance that something might happen to it in the second year of ownership (creation offers 1 year warranty instead of the 2). Plus, in my case, seriouswatches does not cater to all countries, mine being on the barred list for whatever reason.

And yes, in case you're wondering, there was an occasion where I bought a watch (a Hamilton though not an Orient) and I had to return it to creation, absolutely no issues and the whole process was quick.
    Can't argue with that! Shame they don't do the full Orient Star range, I'm still wondering whether I should get a Retrograde at some point...