closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Herring shoes - anyone tried them?

Herring shoes - anyone tried them?

Looking to upgrade my sartorial sense of style (of which I have precisely zero) and came across Herring Dumfries chukka boots in cognac.

Love the look of them and wondered if any of our more urbane cultivated types had any feedback with regards to Herring shoes. Oh and before anyone starts recommending Cheaney boots and the like, I'm definitely not in that league.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Last edited by Omegary; 20th April 2014 at 17:41.

Craftsman
    I have bought several pairs (assorted makes including their own) from the site following previous recommendations on here.

I understand their shoes are generally made by the larger manufacturers Loake's etc.

From my experience I would recommend them on both service and quality.

I often buy shoes from them - not their own brand but Loakes or Barkers. The service is tip-top, I usually receive delivery in 2 or 3 days.

Craftsman
    Excellent company, worth a visit to their warehouse or retail store in kingsbridge if you can make it.
    Best regards
    Chris

Master
    A lot of Herrings are actually made by Cheaney... but I don't know if this particular boot is.
    Google usually reveals the maker.
    +1 for service though.

edited:
    According to the Herrings site, the Dumfries is made in Brazil by Anatomic (I have no experience of them)
    Last edited by langtoft lad; 20th April 2014 at 19:52.

Thanks for the feedback chaps, much appreciated as always :)

I've got a review at work in a couple of weeks time, so if all goes well I might just treat myself.

Cheers,
    Gary

By all accounts they are a great company. Ask them where their particular shoes are made, some are made abroad.

(I've not bought from them btw but have heard good things.)

I've got some black Cheaney 'Jackie III' boots that are similar. They were expensive, but trust me they are worth every penny. I look forward to wearing them, and they are a league apart from my similar looking (and priced) Loakes 1880 boots. Kirk

Thanks Kirk, it was the Cheaney Jackie III boot that first got my attention and then I found the Dumfries. Would love to try the Cheaney's but I can't afford £300 unfortunately.

Cheers,
    Gary

Yes they are expensive! I got them for £250 from a shop in London (recommended by this forum, I forget the name). If anyone ever sees them on sale please drop me a PM!

Master

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Looking to upgrade my sartorial sense of style (of which I have precisely zero) and came across Herring Dumfries chukka boots in cognac.

Love the look of them and wondered if any of our more urbane cultivated types had any feedback with regards to Herring shoes. Oh and before anyone starts recommending Cheaney boots and the like, I'm definitely not in that league.

Cheers,
    Gary
    I have a pair of these, they are extremely comfortable and look brilliant with a pair of jeans.

I have another pair of herring shoes, the padova which is a whole cut shoe, if I do say so myself they are stunning.

Herring is a shoe retailer who get their shoes made by cheaney/loake etc. they are an excellent company to deal with.

Craftsman
    Good quality shoes/boots for the money.

Used themmany times for Cheaney and their own label- great service their "Goodwood" boots are great for the money.

Not had Herring Shoes, but I own a Kipper Tie......

Sorry. I'll get my coat

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post

Cheers,
    Gary
    As someone has already said, they look like the 'Anatomic Gel' shoes you can buy in places like Clinkards. I've had a couple of pairs of them and for leather shoes they are super comfortable and do look smart. The leather is very soft - too soft, actually.

However, there are some major downsides that have stopped me buying any more;

1. They're usually in tatters very quickly and don't last very long.
    2. The soft leather is also quite hard to maintain and if you scuff it there seems to be no way of covering it up.
    3. Because the leather is so soft and because the insole is a soft, shiny leather, they offer very little support. I lost count of the number of times that the shoes slipped from underneath me. Downright dangerous! Although with the ones you're looking at being a boot you may not have this issue.

Nice for casual, occasional wear, but not up to the job of being used all day, every day.

Edit. Oh and Herring Shoes are excellent. Top notch service.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Not had Herring Shoes, but I own a Kipper Tie......

Sorry. I'll get my coat
    I was going to post only if you have kipper feet but
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

I have the boots which are imho very good value for money.

Craftsman
    Ordered a pair of Dumfries this evening - thanks for the heads up!