closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Watchfinder - updated on page 4

Quote Originally Posted by Dent99 View Post
    because good customer service demands you smile through gritted teeth.
    Clear that a change of career is indicated

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    I'm with Tony on this one. Anyone who reads Tony's posts will know what a flipper he is and how many watches come and go through his hands, which in my books is an ideal potential Watchfinder customer.
    Not taking sides here, but how is the store supposed to know about that?

I can't be bothered to go back and forth through the minutiae of this thread but the main thrust of it seems to be the a person with a very great deal of money available was ignored by staff. Yes, it's inattentive and sloppy, and seems it happened three times in a row which suggests it wasn't just someone having a bad morning. If every experience, good or bad, with WF could be posted on a sticky or something, so a more rounded picture can be painted of how they operate, then I'm sure that would be useful.

I have visited Royal Exchange once, though not that shop (I'm not sure it was even there at the time). But the other places were pretty busy. I'm not sure there is any expectation that anyone would automagically know learningfly's real name, unless he announced it grandiosely whilst walking through the door!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Pitchforks indeed. Myself and couple of others put down very positive experiences and are completely ignored; like it didn't happen and we didn't post.

I guess it's more fun to say 'well I had 10 grand to spend but now I'll go elsewhere', 'they've lost my business' etc.

Actually if they've got the right watch at the right place, you're the one losing out, not them. A bit of nose-cutting-off here, or perhaps just bandwagon jumping.
    the difference being, when spending such sums of money, excellent service should be expect, when the service is less than it should be, of course that is going to attract more comments.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post

I can't be bothered to go back and forth through the minutiae of this thread but the main thrust of it seems to be the a person with a very great deal of money available was ignored by staff. Yes, it's inattentive and sloppy, and seems it happened three times in a row which suggests it wasn't just someone having a bad morning. If every experience, good or bad, with WF could be posted on a sticky or something, so a more rounded picture can be painted of how they operate, then I'm sure that would be useful.

I have visited Royal Exchange once, though not that shop (I'm not sure it was even there at the time). But the other places were pretty busy. I'm not sure there is any expectation that anyone would automagically know learningfly's real name, unless he announced it grandiosely whilst walking through the door!
    With all due respect, Andrew, that kind of comment just serves to deflect the point being made. At no time was I implying that anyone working within Watchfinder should know my name other than because I'm a potential customer. The point being made was, quite simply, that there was enough interaction during attempted purchases to have captured my details; and enough opportunities aside from that to engage in some simple conversation that would have revealed that I had a genuine motivation to buy.

I'd actually go as far as to suggest that if anyone challenges this specific notion, they simply don't understand the retailing of luxury goods. Some things are subjective, but surely this isn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
    After all those non-buying visits & three failed attempts to deal they'll most definitely have a name for you
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    Clear that a change of career is indicated
    As above. It's clear that you have never been customer facing, (I could be wrong), either that or patience is your biggest virtue. I'm speaking generically here (BTW): you can't like every client, but the key is making sure that they don't know that. You treat everyone the same: i.e. you smile through gritted teeth at a timewaster the same way you smile genuinely at someone who is not wasting your time. If you can do both and nobody can tell the difference you're along the right lines.
    The irony of your comment comes off the back of a thread where the OP details the demeanor of staff being that disinterest, but someone who still smiles at a timewaster is being unpleasant? Sometimes people just can't do right for doing wrong in some people's eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post

Another thing... why does the OP keep going back to watchfinder? Why have 3 deals been broached if they are so appalling? All the store knows is that the OP keeps coming back for more, and from appearance (their ACTUAL experience with the OP) he is a tyre-kicker.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much

Watchfinder - less than impressed

I used to get my sales people to find out random things from customers. Colour of their front door for example... Without raising suspicion. Makes them sharp and questioning. You need to ask lots of questions to sell... And to give good service.
    I enquired about a watch with watch finder once.. They kept ringing me up after with lots of pressure selling about how I'm going to lose it and put a deposit now etc etc. told them to never call me again.
    Duggan has always been a good chap to deal with... Maybe standards have slipped there?

I must admit I'm surprised to hear any criticism of David Duggan- I've always found their service friendly and professional......unique for the Burlington Arcade.

With regards to the OP and Watch Finder with their poor service- I fear it happens all the time, indeed, didn't Oprah Winfrey storm out of a shop in Zurich
    due to the sales assistant's attitude?
    The irony is when I go into my local Heron Foods the sales team are always charming-and I'm only buying Ambrosia custard etc -not a Nautilus.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat View Post
    You called

As to WF, bought a watch from them a few years ago and to say I was disappointed is an understatement - having agreed a brand new strap would be provided as I don't really want someone else's sweat infused strap the watch turns up without a new strap, several calls to the saleslady and her boss but they wouldn't budge. Basically they told me I'd fabricated the whole thing up and that they'd never have agreed to a new strap despite me forwarding the email back to them that agreed this as part of the deal ... the inference being that I'd doctored the email.

I'd be very reluctant to deal with them ever again.

As to a couple of comments around the level of service you'll expect if spending 12k ... I'm old school, I expect a decent and honest level of service no matter what the amount is I'm spending!
    That is SHOCKING!!! Unbelievable

Banned
    I have bought new stock from most of the main dealers in Manchester and a fair few watches from other dealers in city's both UK & EU, eventually some conversations move round to tyre kickers, guys who walk in try on a few watches with little intention of buying, they take photo's of watches on their wrist with some excuse about showing the wife/girlfriend.

The sales guys know who these tyre kickers are as all the sales guys talk to each other, I'm welcome in all of my dealers possibly with a coffee and a chat on offer. I mentioned I was buying a watch from a dealer in a thread on here a short while back, when I went in to collect it I was told somebody had been round asking to see the watch, they said the watch was ready for sale and not available to view as they had seen this guy in a few times and he was down as tyre kicker.

So next time you walk into a dealers and have a tray of watches in front of you trying them on taking photo's with your phone just think, they may have sussed you.

I am not suggesting anyone in this thread is a tyre kicker but once you have visited a dealers a few times word gets round make no mistake they do know who people are.

Grand Master
    Nver forget to use the line 'Don't you know who I am?' Always a classic
    RIAC

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    The dealers probably already know.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post

So next time you walk into a dealers and have a tray of watches in front of you trying them on taking photo's with your phone just think, they may have sussed you.
    Go into a dealers? I make them come to me
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    I have bought new stock from most of the main dealers in Manchester and a fair few watches from other dealers in city's both UK & EU, eventually some conversations move round to tyre kickers, guys who walk in try on a few watches with little intention of buying, they take photo's of watches on their wrist with some excuse about showing the wife/girlfriend.

The sales guys know who these tyre kickers are as all the sales guys talk to each other, I'm welcome in all of my dealers possibly with a coffee and a chat on offer. I mentioned I was buying a watch from a dealer in a thread on here a short while back, when I went in to collect it I was told somebody had been round asking to see the watch, they said the watch was ready for sale and not available to view as they had seen this guy in a few times and he was down as tyre kicker.

I am not suggesting anyone in this thread is a tyre kicker but once you have visited a dealers a few times word gets round make no mistake they do know who people are.

But isn't the term tyre kicker used to freely in many cases, yes someone that has no intention of buying is a tyre kicker but I expect many get labeled a tyre kicker wrongly...maybe they are checking out the brand, seeing how the watch looks on the wrist, yes there are people out there that can afford to walk into a shop and commit to buy there and then but for many of us, it's not such a fast process, that in my view doesn't make us tyre kickers but as said I expect many are so labeled.

I have no idea but I would hope the type of person you have described is a rare breed, so doesn't warrant the rest of us being treated as such.

Master
    On the flip side, i hate it when a sales assistant pounces on me as soon as I enter the shop.

99% of the time, I am not buying - just looking at watches I see on this forum in the flesh, and seeing if maybe they would suit me.

I feel embarrassed when I then don't buy the watch (which I never intended to buy in the first place) but with the salesman fussing around I feel awkward and embarassed. I feel like like I need to apologise for not buying anything, I'd much rather be left alone and ignored.

The last few times I went into a watch shop the first thing I said (and this really is true) had been "I am here just to look - I have no intention of buying". As it happened I still got outstanding service with various watches being brought "out of the back" still wrapped in plastic as they thought they might suit me, on every occasion and in each shop.

A wonderful experience, and because I declared right at the start that I wasn't buying, I felt "free" to really get into looking at all the watches. I had a great time, and I actually think the sales assistant did to.

And the crucial thing is that I have been shown watches with a declaration that I wasn't there to buy, but it "sucked me in" and made it very likely that my next purchase would be from them.

Anyway, that was a bit of a tangential ramble.

Banned
    Many go into AD's, knowing they are amost certain to have stock, try on, then go find it on SC, eBay, whatever takes your fancy.

Personally, I'd install an ATM in the 'security vestibule' and ask everyone to print a mini statement before they come in.

Blog Entries
    Don't know why anyone would bother even phoning , their used prices are far more expensive than new from grey dealers ( in my experience )

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Many go into AD's, knowing they are amost certain to have stock, try on, then go find it on SC, eBay, whatever takes your fancy.

Personally, I'd install an ATM in the 'security vestibule' and ask everyone to print a mini statement before they come in.

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Dent99 View Post
    It's clear that you have never been customer facing, (I could be wrong).
    20 years in various types of sales.Lucky that I caught on quite quickly that clients kept me in employment.If you can manage to always keep that in mind it's surprising how you can get to like them.
    Last edited by patrick; 20th April 2014 at 23:53.

Tyre kicking

I've always been very up front about it when I'm just browsing.

i always state, i'm not buying anything today. (And the reverse if I am buying)

This almost always leads to questions about what I'm browsing, and would I like to try anything on.

That's basic retail customer service in my book.

another basic of retail customer service is that the customer should receive customer service. If a customer feels they didn't, then something went wrong. This isn't because the customer is always right, it's because managing customer expectation is always important.

It's not all surprising that some of you have had good experiences in WF and some of you have had bad ones, this variance would be true of virtually any establishment.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    With all due respect, Andrew, that kind of comment just serves to deflect the point being made. At no time was I implying that anyone working within Watchfinder should know my name other than because I'm a potential customer. The point being made was, quite simply, that there was enough interaction during attempted purchases to have captured my details; and enough opportunities aside from that to engage in some simple conversation that would have revealed that I had a genuine motivation to buy.
    Understood, although I got the sense from some parts of the thread that they were expected to be clairvoyant.

If you go into a store and try a few things on, exchange pleasantries and generally set out that you're after something and know what you want, I can see the sense in taking down contact info and promising to call. I don't see the rationale for being able to greet you by name after three visits given how busy the place is with the rest of the world's money (I get the impression from some posts that it was only three visits - I assume it was the same salesman each time and that you introduced yourself?).

Personally I don't have hugely high expectations of retail service in the UK. Too much history, or something like that. Pleasant, reasonably attentive and willing to engage is all you need.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    my reply to this is, 'not another C**T, that doesn't know his own name'

always takes a second or two for the penny to drop, and the expression on their faces is priceless.

Grand Master
    Nrilliant
    RIAC

Master
    Or as Ron Burgandy would say

"I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal.

People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany." - Ron Burgundy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    With regards to the OP and Watch Finder with their poor service- I fear it happens all the time, indeed, didn't Oprah Winfrey storm out of a shop in Zurich
    due to the sales assistant's attitude?
    Oprah Winfrey fabricated a story about a racist shop girl in Switzerland to create publicity (and Oscar buzz) for her movie dealing with... racist white Americans. Of course the story made big waves when it came out, and the fact that she was almost certainly lying made barely a blip on the news radar. Oprah is a horrid cow.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    The last few times I went into a watch shop the first thing I said (and this really is true) had been "I am here just to look - I have no intention of buying". As it happened I still got outstanding service with various watches being brought "out of the back" still wrapped in plastic as they thought they might suit me, on every occasion and in each shop.

A wonderful experience, and because I declared right at the start that I wasn't buying, I felt "free" to really get into looking at all the watches. I had a great time, and I actually think the sales assistant did to.

And the crucial thing is that I have been shown watches with a declaration that I wasn't there to buy, but it "sucked me in" and made it very likely that my next purchase would be from them.
    I'm completely you on this one and it's my preferred technique too. It's remarkable how if you're just honest and upfront about not buying people seem to be quite happy to chat and let you try watches on. I had a great experience last week in the states with a salesperson who was very happy to indulge me. I said "I feel bad that I'm not buying today" and he said "maybe not today but maybe another time and I hope from me". Very true.

SGR

Thing is I'm never just browsing... I might see something I like and buy it. How does that fit in with 'just looking'? I rarely go out to buy something... It just happens :)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I think customer service and how a shop treats their customers is extremely important and a very valuable aid to sales.
    My local Rolex , JLC, Blancpain, PP, etc (You guessed WOS Cardiff ) Have incredible customer service. No, it won't make me give them several thousand pounds more for a watch. If I can find the watch elsewhere and the watch is right, I will buy it elsewhere , and often do.
    However the fact that any time I pass their door I am asked if I would like a glass of Chanpagne, or would I prefer a Coffee. The fact that when anything their very knowledgeable staff considers may be interesting and a little difficult to find is offered to me. The fact that when I expressed an interest in visiting a Swiss watch factory, they flew me and a friend out for the visit, entirely at their expense including all hotel and entertainment, of the highest quality.
    All of this and more, means that they will always get the opportunity to supply. Another dealer would have to beat the deal by a good margin to take the deal. They will always be highly recommended by me to anyone with an interest in buying a watch.
    It is not so much that the WIS community buy a huge number of watches, nor that we are particularly profitable for dealers, we usually know prices too well. What we do is talk a lot, we make a lot of noise and that can be hugely influential and produce a lot of business for them.
    If WF have not realised this they have much to learn and much to gain by learning.

Craftsman
    In my experience Watchfinder are useless. I got in touch with them about selling a watch, or possible part-exing one, they sent me a (lowball) offer, I responded with a counter offer, and then I never heard from them again, until I got an email two weeks later saying my ticket had been closed. Even if they weren't going to budge from their original amount, it would have been good of them to say that to me. Not going to bother with them again, especially since I know I'll get a much more reasonable price on here.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Oprah Winfrey fabricated a story about a racist shop girl in Switzerland to create publicity (and Oscar buzz) for her movie dealing with... racist white Americans. Of course the story made big waves when it came out, and the fact that she was almost certainly lying made barely a blip on the news radar. Oprah is a horrid cow.

not the first time either, I remember she once said she went into a shop and the sales person was chatting on the phone but when she noticed it was OW she couldn't have been nicer...what was Oprah's take on this? yep the shop assistant was racist! not that the shop assistant was probably on min wage so just treated customers in general like that. Funny she was doing a show about racism at the time too.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post

Personally I can not confirm whether Oprah was lying about the incident or not-
    however, I can confirm and agree she is a horrid cow.............
    never liked the woman- big chips on her shoulders, eating lunch at the White House- whatever!

Watchfinder are perhaps less than consistent with high levels of customer service as they might not have to try hard to sell an expensive watch, being based in such an affluent area. I bet Blowers based in Hull have to work a damn sight harder, and probably do.

Quote Originally Posted by MattG View Post
    In my experience Watchfinder are useless. I got in touch with them about selling a watch, or possible part-exing one, they sent me a (lowball) offer, I responded with a counter offer, and then I never heard from them again, until I got an email two weeks later saying my ticket had been closed. Even if they weren't going to budge from their original amount, it would have been good of them to say that to me.
    How exactly does that make them 'useless'?

Craftsman
    Having done one deal with them a few weeks back at a fair enough price for my Omega PO. I decided to revisit them on 2 or 3 pieces I'm thinking of letting go to fund a grail. The disgraceful lowballing is what you generally expect from them, it's clear my PO sale was a one off.

I replied to them saying would they ever offer an honest price for any watch. I got a reply from a Jonathan who wanted to know what I wanted for the 3 pieces together. I offered a very fair price on each. He comes back with sheer laughable 2-5% higher offers than the original lowball offers.

It's clear, they want to deal with people who don't know anything about the watches they are buying and selling. If you have any knowledge of Watches they don't want to know you.

Time to just forget about them now.

Craftsman
    Though I have to mentiond, they have always been very polite in correspondance and in my 2 visits to the store. The price they sell and buy watches at makes them unpalatable for any mildly intelligent person.

I find eBay BIN / Best Offer is the way to go to sell watches other than Sales Corner.

Ive never bought through Watchfinder, but they did sell one for me a number of years ago. Overall a positive experience, but only once i explained to them that i wouldnt be shelling out for the several hundred pounds servicing costs they wanted to charge me (on a six moth old watch!).

Unpleasantly surprised about the poor service that has been recieved by many people. As someone else has mentioned it appears to be a trend across a variety of products and merchants.

Quote Originally Posted by CVByrne View Post
    Time to just forget about them now.
    Wow, that was a painful rant to read.

They didn't want to offer you what you wanted so they're disgraceful? They are not obliged to pay you what you want, only offer what they want to; don't like it, don't take it, job done.

I hardly think that's worth bitching about but clearly we'll differ on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Or as Ron Burgandy would say

"I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal.

People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany." - Ron Burgundy
    That - Rodder - is priceless!!!!

Craftsman

They didn't want to offer you what you wanted so they're disgraceful? They are not obliged to pay you what you want, only offer what they want to; don't like it, don't take it, job done.

I feel the odd rant is perfectly fine tbh. I accept people need to have one from time to time. That's the way people are. The pure logic behind a rant isn't necessarily sound, I usually let people have them without a need to potentially generate an argument by calling them on it.

My rant seems a fair one, Watchfinder lowball sellers, they require ignorance on the part of a seller as a fundamental of their business model. Essentially they prey on people who don't know better. For me it's no harm, I just exchanged a few emails.

It's the preying on the people who end up selling them watches because they don't actually know the fair value of them which I dislike. Especially as they then go and mark the watch up to above a fair retail price from a normal AD on Chrono24.

It's a busness model built on exploitation, unlike many, nay majority of normal watch sellers in the UK.

That is the basis of my rant.

Well that could be said about most of what's in this thread. They aren't obliged to acknowledge customers, provide a pleasant shopping experience or whatever.

Craftsman
    How exactly does that make them 'useless'?
    Is there something wrong with my use of the word? It makes them crap at customer service, if that clarification helps you understand what I'm trying to say?

My rant seems a fair one, Watchfinder lowball sellers, they require laziness on the part of a seller as a fundamental of their business model. Essentially they prey on people can't be bothered to do any research. For me it's no harm, I just exchanged a few emails.

It's the preying on the people who end up selling them watches because they don't actually know the fair value of them which I dislike. Especially as they then go and mark the watch up to above a fair retail price from a normal AD on Chrono24.

It's a busness model built on exploitation, unlike many, nay majority of normal watch sellers in the UK.

That is the basis of my rant.
    To be fair to watchfinder, they don't force anyone to sell them their watches. They have a take it or leave it attitude because of the volumes of watches they are offered and can afford to.

I'm not a huge fan but have part exchanged some Tags for a couple of Rolex from them. The prices they offered weren't great but the overall deals were reasonable.

What did surprise me was the state they sent one watch out in. When I was selling they picked up faults that didn't exist and charged accordingly for rectification but the first watch I bought had to go back twice.

They were very good at sorting the problems though.

Overall, IMHO they're not brilliant but no worse than many others.

My rant seems a fair one, Watchfinder lowball sellers, they require ignorance on the part of a seller as a fundamental of their business model. Essentially they prey on people who don't know better. For me it's no harm, I just exchanged a few emails.
    Simply not true.

If they lowballed you, they didn't want your watch in particular. I had one they wanted and made a nice profit on it. The 4 I bought there we negotiated great deals on them all, way below market rates.

Believe me, I am not ignorant in the ways of buying or selling watches.

Quote Originally Posted by MattG View Post
    Is there something wrong with my use of the word? It makes them crap at customer service, if that clarification helps you understand what I'm trying to say?
    Well, yes there is something wrong with your use of the word.

They didn't want to pay you what you wanted for your watch. That's it. As in literally, nothing else, that's it.

Again, how does that make a company 'useless'?

Journeyman
    Casual Observations:
    Watchfiner are a business, if you not liking them then vote with feet and go elsewhere...
    'cheap' decent Rolex with a warranty, from a business with a shopfront, rent and salaries to pay, they simply don't exist....
    asking them to sell for you, you are using their shop-space and they have overheads...
    or doing a p-ex, you do that for the convenience (maybe you don't have the readies to hand) and the fact they have something you'd like, so they set the price
    or a straight sale, you want the ready-cash, they have it, but they want to make something on it...
    I wonder what their rent is like at Royal Exchange and what their salary bill is on a monthly basis.....

I put an offer in for something, I thought the offer was reasonable, they turned it down, no problem, that's what I was prepared to pay, Im not getting all bent out of shape over it, there's worse things to get stressed about.....

Banned
    Response from the company which is the subject of this thread is not surprisingly missing.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenb View Post
    Casual Observations:
    Watchfiner are a business, if you not liking them then vote with feet and go elsewhere...
    'cheap' decent Rolex with a warranty, from a business with a shopfront, rent and salaries to pay, they simply don't exist....
    asking them to sell for you, you are using their shop-space and they have overheads...
    or doing a p-ex, you do that for the convenience (maybe you don't have the readies to hand) and the fact they have something you'd like, so they set the price
    or a straight sale, you want the ready-cash, they have it, but they want to make something on it...
    I wonder what their rent is like at Royal Exchange and what their salary bill is on a monthly basis.....

I put an offer in for something, I thought the offer was reasonable, they turned it down, no problem, that's what I was prepared to pay, Im not getting all bent out of shape over it, there's worse things to get stressed about.....

I can only speak from observations as well as i have never dealt with WF personally, but.....

I think they/everyone understand this. As with DB9yetis comment that isnt the point of the discussion. Its not that the forum have issues with the business model, or them making a profit. Quite the opposite. People are saying that if they are going to have bricks and morter, and have staff, then they should at least have a good service, otherwise why not buy online where a physical FTF service clearly isnt the aim?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Response from the company which is the subject of this thread is not surprisingly missing.
    It is indeed not surprising. The people who don't like them aren't going to change their minds and won't pay any attention official response. In fact it'll probably harden their position.

Besides, about 95% of their business is City folk and wealthy foreigners, and how many of them have time to sit on TZ-UK all bitching about low-ball offers on a used watch? :)

Craftsman
    Well, yes there is something wrong with your use of the word.

They didn't want to pay you what you wanted for your watch. That's it. As in literally, nothing else, that's it.

Again, how does that make a company 'useless'?
    I can only assume you're being purposely obtuse because no one can possibly be so stupid as to not understand what I'm saying. Not replying to my email because they weren't interested in my price is rude, plain and simple. That's my issue with them. If they were only willing to pay the amount in their first email, they should have said that, or they should reply to say no thanks. It takes all of 10 seconds to do and goes a long way towards giving a positive experience to a potential customer.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    For me watchfinder changed when they opened a shop in The Royal Exchange.
    that's exactly my opinion as well.

Before that I had quite a few dealings with them both as a seller and a buyer and always came away happy or happy enough [when selling] and I would have regarded myself as a semi regular customer of theirs

the last couple of dealings I have had with them have had the reverse effect on me, to the extent of them going from my first point of contact when buying or selling to being way down my list. In fact as one stage I had said to myself that I would never deal with them again