closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Speedmaster - 1967 vintage - recently arrived...

Red face Omega Speedmaster - 1967 vintage - recently arrived...

...and I think it's exquisite! SO much warmth and character oozing from every pore. :) Birth year watch for me, so it left Bienne 47 years ago. cal.321, reference 105.003. It's in excellent condition - the dial is stunning. The case-back still has a faint hippocampus engraving. Hands are the original ones but relumed really well by STS during a service a few years ago.

Many thanks to Tony for reluctantly letting this piece go. I will take care of it. Most of you will recognise the photos below - Tony kindly allowed me to use them as my photographic skills are laughable. :)

I currently have it on the tan DB10 strap, with the original battered bezel fitted. I mighy try it out on the bracelet soon just to see how it looks.

You got one then. Well done. Didn't expect you to get that one though!

Craftsman
    Very nice

Wow. I've never been much of a Speedmaster fan, but that is really very nice. I would put it on the black rally strap though.

Lovely - love the simple dial, love the aged lume, love it on that strap. Congrats.

Master
    Oh. My. God. *faints* Gorgeous. Same birth year as myself, but it's holding up so much better. :) Well wear Sir.

Master
    Very nice indeed!

Banned
    A cracker.

When buying something from Tony, you know he's amassed a million man hours researching the watch prior to his own acquisition, so you really are getting a super piece.

Love it!

Banned
    What a great looking watch.

Blog Entries
    Stunning piece with stunning photography... as always.

The combination of that brown perforated strap and that perfect lume colour sat alongside the black dial on this REALLY accentuates the watches beauty.

Lovely.

That is beautiful! My fave is of it on the black rally strap, but then that doesn't show it on the wrist! Congratulations and my plan to fins a '72 one too : )

Enjoy it!

The fundamental Speed. Well chosen.

Master
    A great piece. I prefer wearing mine on a strap.

Red face Thanks guys! :) As you know this is the 'Ed White' model...

...so it's place in space exploration history is assured too. I think I agree that it would always look more special on a strap - somehow looks more '60''s' that way.

It was also a real pleasure to meet Tony and talk watches for a while. :) I am fortunate he agreed to sell this Speedy as it had been one of his small collection of 'keepers'.

The old adage about Patek Philippe was always that you never actually own one but are just looking after it for its next custodian. I think this applies even more to vintage watches of this quality and historical significance. However I am hoping this watch remains in my custodianship for a LONG time. :)

Congratulations. I know exactly how you feel having recently acquired my birth year speedy (from 1969). Mines the 861 movement not the 321 but it is really special to have something with such an amazing pedigree. Like yours, mine is a keeper and will be passed on eventually to one of my sons who will hopefully cherish it too:

Quote Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post
    A great piece. I prefer wearing mine on a strap.
    Yep, I have an original bracelet for mine but I've never worn it! It just feels right on a strap and I'm accumulating a collection of them. It is such a versatile watch.

Beautiful example!! Enjoy. :)

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Congratulations. I know exactly how you feel having recently acquired my birth year speedy (from 1969). Mines the 861 movement not the 321 but it is really special to have something with such an amazing pedigree. Like yours, mine is a keeper and will be passed on eventually to one of my sons who will hopefully cherish it too:

Congrats! Birthyear Speedys rule :-)

Craftsman
    Absolutely beautiful! Congratulations!

Craftsman
    Just lovely, what a perfect watch. The added bonus of it being a birth year watch is a bit special too.

Red face Thanks for all the kind comments and PM's...

...but hopefully this 'Ed White' Speedy won't ever be for sale again!

I'd love to know where it's been though and what events/occasions it's been part of over the years. :)

Mohammed, I'm very glad this amazing example of the Ed White gone to you, as I can see and feel your appreciation of it. It's a very special watch, and but for reasons that are impossible to explain in this medium I'd have kept it, as I think you understand. Anyway, I hope you have many years of pleasure with and from it :)

Craftsman
    Very nice indeed and one of the last 105.003

Red face

Thanks Tony. I know it was difficult letting go of this piece, but I'm glad you did and it's in good (47 year old) hands. :)

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Mohammed, I'm very glad this amazing example of the Ed White gone to you, as I can see and feel your appreciation of it. It's a very special watch, and but for reasons that are impossible to explain in this medium I'd have kept it, as I think you understand. Anyway, I hope you have many years of pleasure with and from it :)

Red face

I was actually surprised that the cal.321, 105.003 'Ed White' was produced as late as 1967, but it's all confirmed by the Omega archives - and I'm not complaining. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley637 View Post
    Very nice indeed and one of the last 105.003

Fantastic watch and pics!

Apprentice
    Lovely watch mate.

Congrats, still huntin' for mine!!

Lovely watch, can't believe you managed to pry it from Tony! It really is one of the best Speedmasters out there. Enjoy!

That is a fabulous piece, very nice indeed!

Red face I appreciate the kind comments, All! :)

Yes, I am very fortunate to be the owner of this stunning piece of such historical significance (especially for Space exploration geeks). :)

Tony was a true Gent letting this go to me, but he has a couple of other stunning vintage watches to console him. ;)

Nice example of a killer speedy!

Enjoy!!

Best! Glenn

Journeyman
    Birth year watch. Congrats! It looks great! Keeping a lookout one to call my own too.

Apprentice
    Amazing pickup!

Craftsman
    Looks stunning, defo a keeper :)

Great!

Blog Entries
    Stunning!Congrats....and...it looks great on di-modell (is it?).

That looks amazing! Congrats!

Flattering photos.

Red face

It's a custom-made DB10 leather strap. Looks very '60's to me! :)

Quote Originally Posted by igorRIJEKA View Post
    Stunning!Congrats....and...it looks great on di-modell (is it?).

Absolutely stunning, congratulations. That dial is just perfect - love how delicate the font looks on these compared to the later models.

Red face Almost one year on - still loving my Speedy 'Ed White'...

...and wondering how many other owners there are on the forum at the moment? :)

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    ...and wondering how many other owners there are on the forum at the moment? :)
    Glad you are still enjoying your speedy! I've still got mine and enjoy wearing it in rotation with a few other watches. It is my favourite though.

My 1965 (birth year) is still with me, and will be for a very long time (hopefully).

Master
    Thats beautiful, i just got one but a modern iteration but the vintage one with applied logo, no "professional" and no crown guards are amazing. Wow!!

Master

Mine from 65, took a long time get it.

Finally from a collector in Italy.

Hans.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    ...and I think it's exquisite! SO much warmth and character oozing from every pore. :) Birth year watch for me, so it left Bienne 47 years ago. cal.321, reference 105.003. It's in excellent condition - the dial is stunning. The case-back still has a faint hippocampus engraving. Hands are the original ones but relumed really well by STS during a service a few years ago.

Many thanks to Tony for reluctantly letting this piece go. I will take care of it. Most of you will recognise the photos below - Tony kindly allowed me to use them as my photographic skills are laughable. :)

That is an absolute beauty, gorgeous condition and looks great on this strap. Would love a '68 one myself, might start looking.. Wear it in good health.

same year for me and you've just inspired me to do the same....won't be in time for this year but that's what I'll go for unless a '67 Submariner comes up perhaps but the Speedy hopefully slightly more affordable... enjoy it and happy birthday!

Master
    Absolute stunner, well done that man, and as already been said coming from Tony you know its as good as it gets!!

Journeyman
    Stunning, birth date watches have got to be the way ahead.