closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Horween Shell Cordovan

Horween Shell Cordovan

I've gone from knowing nothing much about these 2 weeks ago, to owning one on a Nomos and another via SC which is now on a Sub.

They are amazingly comfortable and supple. I feel a bit cheated now that I've bought all sorts of leather straps over the years and now I find something far more splendid.

I doubt I'll bother with anything else from now on. I feel like I've wasted my life on inferior leather goods.

Groan. You live and learn I suppose.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    I've gone from knowing nothing much about these 2 weeks ago, to owning one on a Nomos and another via SC which is now on a Sub.

They are amazingly comfortable and supple. I feel a bit cheated now that I've bought all sorts of leather straps over the years and now I find something far more splendid.

I doubt I'll bother with anything else from now on. I feel like I've wasted my life on inferior leather goods.

Groan. You live and learn I suppose.
    + 1 Now have 2 of my remaining 3 watches on Horween Shell

Master
    I did see that one on the SC but was gone before I sent a PM. I do wonder what one would look on my PRS-14 and I am tempted by a Fluco black and brown.

Craftsman
    The Nomos shell cordovan straps are great. Their suede ones are wonderfully supple as well.

Master
    Wait until you try a pair of Horween she'll shoes.

Craftsman
    Looking forward to ordering a nomos shell cordovan for my speedy pro. I have heard a lot of good things about shell cordovan straps.

Master
    Soft and supple - with a lovely smell to boot. I love the three or four I've had/have but still tend to prefer a bracelet on most watches.

Journeyman
    I have a question,I know shell cordovan is a thin leather.
    I know the top of the nomos strap is shell cordovan.Have 3 of them.

Is the back of the strap shell cordovan?
    Because to me imop it looks and feels like regular cowhide leather.

Quote Originally Posted by JOSE G View Post
    I have a question,I know shell cordovan is a thin leather.
    I know the top of the nomos strap is shell cordovan.Have 3 of them.

Is the back of the strap shell cordovan?
    Because to me imop it looks and feels like regular cowhide leather.
    According to Nomos:

Edit: Knowing that the title of this thread will attract knowledgeable members; does anyone know where (apart from eBay) I can a cordovan strap for 22 mm and 24 mm lug widths, please? I'm after one in plain black, ie no contrast stitching.
    Last edited by PickleB; 18th May 2014 at 16:36.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    According to Nomos:
    Edit: Knowing that the title of this thread will attract knowledgeable members; does anyone know where (apart from eBay) I can a cordovan strap for 22 mm and 24 mm lug widths, please? I'm after one in plain black, ie no contrast stitching.
    If it didn't have to be black then Toshi makes them, but only in natural, burgundy and brown, and of course you can be sure it's made from real shell cordovan.
    F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    According to Nomos:

Check out Roverhaven.com Myron is great to deal with.

Journeyman
    Take care because there is cordovan and cordovan.

Horween Cordvan is the best and Nomos straps are made from this leather, coming from a specific place in USA.
    Other straps just labelled as Shell Cordovan are sourced from other hides and countries and it might be lower quality.

Never tested non horween cordovan, can't tell if they are top or flop.

Blog Entries
    I had one on my Nomos Club...so simple but you could feel that quality under your fingers....used,used,used,but it never looked abused...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroeseight View Post
    The Nomos shell cordovan straps are great. Their suede ones are wonderfully supple as well.
    ... Interesting - what have you got the suede on...?
    And how is it thickness wise relative to the cordovan?
    (I'd worry with wear that the suede might look ... Bald over time)

Journeyman
    Thickness is pretty low. It fits Nomos watches well but I have bought one for a speedmaster and it feels too thin.
    Plus the stitching won't support heavy watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
    Never tested non horween cordovan, can't tell if they are top or flop.
    There are lots of straps on the bay that may be of suspect origin, but some have reported decent results when buying.

I know that Horween isn't the only place producing good shell cordovan because I've watched it being made locally - the memory of the smell stays with you :). Horween are however the best at getting their product out there so there are many more folks using the hide than any other.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    There are lots of straps on the bay that may be of suspect origin, but some have reported decent results when buying.

I know that Horween isn't the only place producing good shell cordovan because I've watched it being made locally - the memory of the smell stays with you :). Horween are however the best at getting their product out there so there are many more folks using the hide than any other.
    I seem to recall some detective work around these parts that showed that Fluco were the nomos OEM (stitching and detailing similarities). There's also someone who sells Fluco seconds on the bay - need to search ebay.de to find them though..

I have several shell cordovan straps by Fluco which Watchbandcenter describe as having 'rustic workmanship' - which is a fair description IMO. Most importantly they have a cordovan lining which lends a buttery soft feeling and makes them very comfortable.
    Shell cordovan straps are also available from Uhrband24 - they ordered one for me in 19mm width, the cordovan lining is stamped with their brand and I am pleased with the quality.
    My Nomos cordovan strap is the best finished and most supple of them all though.
    My Rios cordovan straps are quite different - I have never seen the name 'Horween' associated with this product and the linings are cow leather.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alslater View Post
    ... Interesting - what have you got the suede on...?
    And how is it thickness wise relative to the cordovan?
    (I'd worry with wear that the suede might look ... Bald over time)
    It was on a Omega f300, and now a Max Bill. Originally I ordered a XS from Nomos but it was too small for my 6.2in wrist. Then I ordered an equivalent from Uhrband which seems to be the same bar the absence of branding.

The Nomos cordovan is around 2mm thick, the suede is just under 3mm by my estimation, I have took a picture of them next to each other below.

You have to excuse the quality of pics, the camera is poor in low light, the suede is lighter than what the camera is showing.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    Shell cordovan straps are also available from Uhrband24 - they ordered one for me in 19mm width, the cordovan lining is stamped with their brand and I am pleased with the quality.
    That's cool, I need 19mm for one of my watches, going to see if I can get suede one of them as well as a shorter length.

Journeyman
    clearly Cordovan is great stuff

Master

Cool

Just to throw in my tuppenceworth i have Cordovan straps from both Nomos and Jedley at The Timetraveller and feel Jedley's are better .

I have a few NATOs in Shell Cordovan, a black (but more like dark, dark green) on my Railmaster and a double thickness pilot type on my Speedy. Shell is a superb leather for straps. I want the shoes...

(maybe a pair will magically appear on SC in size 8 .... )

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinShepherd View Post
    I have a few NATOs in Shell Cordovan, a black (but more like dark, dark green) on my Railmaster and a double thickness pilot type on my Speedy. Shell is a superb leather for straps. I want the shoes...

(maybe a pair will magically appear on SC in size 8 .... )
    I don't have a shell strap, I guess I should get one. I do have a couple of pairs of shoes (actually chukka boots). They look great, they shine nicely and they "roll" where the creases are instead of crinkling up like calfskin. They are nice in the winter but they are too hot to wear comfortably in the summer, the hide is so dense they do not breathe very well. They are also heavier than regular calfskin.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    I don't have a shell strap, I guess I should get one. I do have a couple of pairs of shoes (actually chukka boots). They look great, they shine nicely and they "roll" where the creases are instead of crinkling up like calfskin. They are nice in the winter but they are too hot to wear comfortably in the summer, the hide is so dense they do not breathe very well. They are also heavier than regular calfskin.
    Sadly shell cordovan shoes are like watches. Too addictive!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeney View Post
    Sadly shell cordovan shoes are like watches. Too addictive!

Love those shoes, what make are they??

Quote Originally Posted by rmblaikie View Post
    Love those shoes, what make are they??
    On the left: Alden 975s.
    on the right: vintage Florsheim Kenmoor Imperials.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    Have to agree with all of that, I stupidly wore Cordovan Trickers to Las Vegas last year as they were dead comfortable for walking but didn't realise they weren't so good for letting your feet breathe. Dead easy to maintain though, a quick brush with a horse hair brush and they're good as new again.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroeseight View Post
    It was on a Omega f300, and now a Max Bill. Originally I ordered a XS from Nomos but it was too small for my 6.2in wrist. Then I ordered an equivalent from Uhrband which seems to be the same bar the absence of branding.

You have to excuse the quality of pics, the camera is poor in low light, the suede is lighter than what the camera is showing.
    Forgot to say thanks for that - and for the sake of an add - my brown (although I'd put it more as oxblood) nomos in 17mm which I use on the
    reverso is a definite 3mm ... which I was not expecting ..
    Last edited by alslater; 22nd June 2014 at 22:06. Reason: .