closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nomos Club v vintage Rolex/Omega

Nomos Club v vintage Rolex/Omega

I've been close to buying a 36mm Nomos Club recently. The extra-long lugs are putting me off. Which has found me considering a vintage Rolex precision or Omega seamaster. The Nomos is £1k; I've seen the manual Rolex in my local dealer for £1200; the Omega option will be quite a bit cheaper.

I'm basically looking at something dainty with an in-house movement. At the mo I'm leaning towards the Nomos but the Rolex is tempting.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nitsy View Post
    I've been close to buying a 36mm Nomos Club recently. The extra-long lugs are putting me off. Which has found me considering a vintage Rolex precision or Omega seamaster. The Nomos is £1k; I've seen the manual Rolex in my local dealer for £1200; the Omega option will be quite a bit cheaper.

I'm basically looking at something dainty with an in-house movement. At the mo I'm leaning towards the Nomos but the Rolex is tempting.

Of the two I would prefer the Nomos. But it is very much a matter of personal taste.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I recently sold this for a grand

I would have it over any other dress watch at any price.
    It was simply beautiful.

I'd go Nomos too. The Rolex is just a touch too small IMO and I'm not into Omega plus there is a risk that older pieces could be a money pit if, like me, you are a novice on vintage gear.

I've been wearing my Tangente for the past couple of days and am really loving its small size and slim case.

I went thorough the same thought process before buying my Nomos i.e. what else could I buy, vintage Rolex etc.?

Ultimately I think it boils down to whether you want a new watch or a vintage one. Once you've made that decision the rest is easy.

Edit: pic added.
    Last edited by AKM; 16th April 2014 at 20:33.

Master
    ...and while we're on subject, I've been wondering if I should buy an umbrella or a goldfish. They both look tempting, but it's so hard to decide which. Perhaps a list of pros and cons would help.

Master

Both are very nice watches - I think it depends on what you want from them. However, as a long term investment the Rolex is probably going to be the better buy.

I've been close to buying a 36mm Nomos Club recently. The extra-long lugs are putting me off....
    Then don't buy one. Whenever reservations about a prospective purchase have caused me to hold off, I have rarely regretted doing so.
    But quite honestly, you have already received some great advice from others so far.

I have a Nomos arriving any moment. Complete bargain, servicing 70% less than Rolex, Cordovan straps £50, helpful and accessible staff, and it's a beautiful watch too with a reliable attractive movement. No brainer.
    Last edited by Scrubnut; 16th April 2014 at 21:22.

I have 6.75 wrists and I've owned the Nomos club, I've also owned various 34 and 36mm Rolex.

I loved the Club and it was, by far, the most accurate mechanical watch I owned. BUT the lug length made the watch wear a tad too large for me. the dial and case size were fine but those long lugs went straight to the edges of my wrist meaning the strap left the case almost vertically. This was the only reason I sold the watch.

If Nomos reigned in their lug lengths, and most on their watches are really long I'd happily have one over a similar priced used Rolex. That being said the Rolex 6426 is the one to look at, hand winding, no date I had a mint one and wish I'd never sold it.

Banned
    Just side swiping the thread, but does anyone know of a purchase source whereby a discount can be obtained?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    I have a Nomos arriving any moment. Complete bargain, servicing 70% less than Rolex, Cordovan straps £50, helpful and accessible staff, and it's a beautiful watch too with a reliable attractive movement. No brainer.
    Which one have you got incoming?

Been hankering after a grey orion for a while now

Master
    The 6426 is a really sweet watch. Here is mine.

Sean.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    Which one have you got incoming?

Been hankering after a grey orion for a while now
    Its a Ludwig. Bought it from Joris on SC. It's superb. Sits very low on the wrist and has the same profile as an ultra thin JLC on the wrist. Impressed.

i like the square Tetra models. I think they are unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Just side swiping the thread, but does anyone know of a purchase source whereby a discount can be obtained?
    Think you may struggle on that one but I notice an AD in Liverpool is closing down so you could try there.

Journeyman
    The same AD had a few Nomos watches for sale on eBay over the Christmas period with low starting bids, so maybe worth keeping an eye out on there if they are liquidating their stock. Can't remember the eBay name, it wasn't the same as their business one. I'll have a look to see if I have it saved somewhere.
    Last edited by Yellow Jim; 17th April 2014 at 20:03.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Think you may struggle on that one but I notice an AD in Liverpool is closing down so you could try there.
    Who's that Robert?

Who's that Robert?
    According to their website there are no AD's in Liverpool.

EDIT: Looks like Watches Of Switzerland in Manchester is the closest to that location.
    Last edited by beechcustom; 17th April 2014 at 19:42.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jim View Post
    They don't look like they've been open more than a week. So are they closing, or is it another?

Journeyman
    I don't know if they're closing or not. Although they definitely carry (or did) Nomos watches. I had a nose in the window a few months back. Next time I'm in the city centre, I'll take a look, although it may not be soon.

If you appreciate vintage watches, you won't regret choosing it above a modern watch.

Those vintage watches have so much charm and character! Especially a vintage Rolex: timeless and high coolness and Omega: Classic and dressy, pure class!

Yep, no doubts for me: Vintage (Rolex)!!

Best! Glenn

I think between a really good condition Rolex 6426 and an Orion/Ludwig/Club I'd go for the Rolex but if it was a Nomos Metro against a similar priced Datejust I'd go with the Metro.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post

Im I trying to find the thread about the bod destocking Nomos but I can't find it. When I looked he only had a couple left at 20% off. Sold the whole lot in a couple of days from what I remember.

I got a discount when I bought my Orion from Stewarts in Leicester, 18% if I remember correctly.

For me I would go Nomos rather than vintage but that's simple a personal taste issue