closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Gold Plated Watches

Gold Plated Watches

I am nearly approaching the age where I believe I might be able to carry off a gold watch, however before spending a fortune to potentially end up with buyers remorse I thought it might be an idea to try a Gold plated watch for a while to see what I think. Has anyone got any recommendations or are they frowned upon as being something tacky masquerading as something they're not.

Its the Everose Gold Daytona with the black face that's tempting me

Just buy something vintage in gold. Wear it for a while to see if you like the colour and then either keep it or move it on.

Vintage gold won't break the bank (Vintage gold plated even less so and will give you the feel, but will be more difficult to move on should you want to).

Buy the Daytona - my gold Daytona is possibly the most satisfying watch purchase I have made in years.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Gold plated watches are OK provided the plating's in good condition with no significant scratches. Unfortunately they don`t stand up to wear and tear very well. Having said that, if you buy one cheaply enough, it'll sell for what you've paid.

You really need something on a gold bracelet to get the effect. Personally, I`m not a fan of rose gold. I had a bicolour Aqua Terra and didn`t keep it because I couldn`t get along with rose gold in that style. Rose gold on a strap is different, I like that!

Maybe if you go and try the watch on a few times you'll reach a decision?....or maybe just 'go for it'?

Paul

I was actually thinking of buying another Everest from Eddie and sending it off to get it 18k gold plated, after a quick search there are many companies that offer this

It would make an already lovely watch a bit different and of course its a design in the Rolex theme

This is assuming Eddie doesn't ban me for pimping one of his watches, no diamonds I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Buy the Daytona - my gold Daytona is possibly the most satisfying watch purchase I have made in years.
    Blowers have a nice used one top of the page, do you have White gold, Everose or the classic Yellow Gold Sir ?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Blowers have a nice used one top of the page, do you have White gold, Everose or the classic Yellow Gold Sir ?
    White gold.

Scott
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    A gold plated won't give you the feel and heft of gold, they weigh around 80-100 grams different on bracelet so is not a great way for you to know. I would just try on a few and see if they look good on you, and gold Daytonas tend to look good on most people.

Master
    Buy a white gold watch and it often slipped under the radar and people think it is steel, perfect. I bought a rose gold piece because it stands out and l liked it a lot. It is also the reason I hardly wear it nowadays, as it stands out and maybe a bit bling. I still liked it a lot.

Blog Entries
    I am nearly approaching the age where I believe I might be able to carry off a gold watch
    As a matter of interest, what is the age limit you have in mind?

however before spending a fortune to potentially end up with buyers remorse I thought it might be an idea to try a Gold plated watch for a while to see what I think. Has anyone got any recommendations or are they frowned upon as being something tacky masquerading as something they're not.
    At the cheaper end, you occasionally see gold plated Sekonda/Luch square dress watches come up on eBay. These are lovely imo. I have one and love to wear it on its original gold plated mesh strap.

At a slightly higher price range why not try a solid gold Smiths. Many of these are in good condition and imo make great classic watches. Again, eBay will provide.

Or you could go for a better quality watch like a gold plated Louis Erard or similar.

I was wearing this yesterday, for example:

(Picture taken from the SimonConnell's advert for it back in 2011)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    A gold plated won't give you the feel and heft of gold, they weigh around 80-100 grams different on bracelet so is not a great way for you to know. I would just try on a few and see if they look good on you, and gold Daytonas tend to look good on most people.
    It depends, I think. I expect this is true of Rolexes with Oyster cases since these are quite chunky and so there's a lot of volume of metal to make a difference. But my grandfather's solid gold Smiths (admittedly only 9ct, unlike Rolex which would have a higher gold content) is pretty much indistinguishable from a steel equivalent.

Journeyman
    Love that rose Daytona. Checkout excellencebydanny on instagram for some more inspiration. He often posts handfuls of gold daytonas

Master
    Or watch the Kardashians, well sky plus it and fast forward through, lots of gold Rolexes, APs and PPs.