closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steinhartt Ocean Red Vintage - anyone got one?

Steinhartt Ocean Red Vintage - anyone got one?

I can't search as on tapatalk - but interested to know about the build quality, general thoughts etc.
    My brother in law is after a watch, likes decent sized diver-style things on bracelets and about £250/£300 budget. I have pointed my Sister (she is buying it for him) toward a Seiko Sumo, and Steinhartt website.
    She likes the military vintage on there (me too! But, no date) and the Vintage Red.

So, any thoughts? Cheers!

Blog Entries
    Excellent quality, excellent value. Definitely a good buy imo.

Downside is that popular models can be out of stock for long periods and they (Steinhart) can be slow to respond to queries but they are honest people and always seem to get there in the end. Definitely recommended.

I have one, I've had it for 2-3 years. It's a very good watch, and particularly for the money. Mine is my default beater and three years in has a few marks to show for it. However it keeps excellent time, the bezel is solid with no movement, and I personally love the slightly domed hesalite.

Sure it's a DRSD homage, but I think it stands up as a very good watch in its own right.

Master
    I have a military vintage winging its way to me as we speak. It took 2 weeks from date of order for them to send it - from what I've read on here that's normal for them. The lady I've been dealing with at Steinhart (Sabine) has answered all my emailed questions so can't fault it.
    FedEx tells me it will be with me tomorrow. My first steinhart so really looking forward to it's arrival.

Cheers.

I've one. Nice watch. Good value for money. I had a problem with the plexiglass after a couple of years and replaced it with sapphire. Lost the vintage look but I prefer it. Stein hart can be a wee bit slow answering mails but when they do the subsequent service is v good

I have a OVM and it is nice thing well made.

[IMG][/IMG]

Master
    I have watches that cost twenty times what I paid for this, and it's still my favourite.

Master
    I had one for a bit, nicely made and looks ace on a nato. Chronomaster are official agents and usually have some Steinharts in stock. Mine was a newer version with sapphire glass, lume wasn't the best though and a slightly loose bezel but for the money, superb.

Master
    I had a VR a little while ago, cracking watch.

I also had the vintage military but would like to try a VR one day.

Last edited by mrwozza70; 16th April 2014 at 22:31.

Craftsman
    I don't think there's much else (new) in that price range that will be as well made. I had an OVM for 2 years, and couldn't fault it. When I needed a new screw for the bracelet, they sent me 2 screws and a tool free of charge.

I liked the one I had, and Steinhart were good to deal with too. Two issues: the watch was too big for me, so I was never quite comfortable wearing it, and there's the whole homage thing. But otherwise I'd echo what other have said - really, really good for the money.

I've had two VRs; one with plexi and one with sapphire. The plexi version is the best by miles as it retains that vintage look and feel. Quality is very good for the price too although the bracelets can be a little squeeky.

In that price range why don't you have a look at Eddie's PRS-3. Better quality then the VR, has a date and the bracelet is better quality. He has them in stock I believe.

Hope this helps,

David

Journeyman
    I got my Vintage red yesterday and i love it! I had some doubts while waiting for it to be shipped (i also have the OVM already), but those doubts have been cleared completely after trying it on. Great watch for a great price for sure!
    The bracelet is the same as on the OVM, which is fantastic. But i put the "red" on an admirality grey NATO for now...works handsomely :)

Yes, it's a homage, but what's the chance of me ever actually shelling out for an actual DRSD!?

Quote Originally Posted by christopher_p View Post
    I got my Vintage red yesterday and i love it! I had some doubts while waiting for it to be shipped (i also have the OVM already), but those doubts have been cleared completely after trying it on. Great watch for a great price for sure!
    The bracelet is the same as on the OVM, which is fantastic. But i put the "red" on an admirality grey NATO for now...works handsomely :)

Yes, it's a homage, but what's the chance of me ever actually shelling out for an actual DRSD!?
    Pleased you like it. And yes that's the point - most of us won't ever be able to afford a Red Sub so an homage gives us that opportunity to have something similar in appearance. The 'oh I couldn't possibly wear it if it's not a real Rolex' crowd just do my head in. It's not as if it's a fake is it.

Enjoy.

I've had the sapphire version for a couple of years. Echo above comments re excellent build quality and vfm. A tad heavy, so mine doesn't get worn much. Had the misfortune to smack it into the edge of a thick glass automatic door as it opened - made both the door, and me, shudder. Result - a slight mark on the bezel.

Talking of bezels, here's an interesting thread about the bezels on earlier models (like mine). http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...sert-MORE-INFO

Had one a long time ago. Was a great watch, I had the plexi version. VFM is great and so was dealing with Steinhart who sent a free spare plexi. Only sold it as I could buy a Black Sea from Steinhart.

It looks like it sticks out, that is the angle ;-)