closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Used Camera Equipment

Craftsman

Used Camera Equipment

I know there are a lot of keen photographers on here.....

So my question for any gurus out there is which are the best online sources of used Camera equipment;
    or is it worth doing the legwork round Camera equipment shops locally;
    or are there bargains to be had on the evil bay;
    or are there other undiscovered options.

I'm specifically currently looking for a used Sony E-mount prime lens.

Cheers

Ffordes, MPB, Mifsuds, Harrisons Cameras, Aperture, Park Cameras, WEX and Fixation are all reputable online dealers with bricks and mortar shops, and all give a warranty on used gear, 12 months in the case of Harrisons. You may find what you want on eBay, indeed I bought my Canon 1D MkIII there, but as ever you really need to do your homework on the seller.
    F.T.F.A.

talk photography is worth a look as well as av forums dont sony use minolta fit lenses iirc

- - - Updated - - -

You could also try the London Camera Exchange who have branches in most major towns and online purchasing.

Cameraworld is another worth a try, store in Chelmsford and London.

I was in Ffordes yesterday. Loads of stock in there, and the guys are super friendly too.
    I think they mainly sell online or via telephone orders.

Another vote for London Camera Exchange. I've mostly dealt with the Strand branch but also ordered a lens from another and they posted it without fuss. Staff always extremely knowledgable in my experience too, genuine enthusiasts. They are fussy about what stock they take in to so its good quality and they offer either 3 or 6 months warranty, can't remember which.

Had good experience with both Harrison's and Wex.

Journeyman
    Talk Photography and Evil Bay for me!

Blog Entries
    I have purchased two cameras online from Ffordes and a Nikon lens from Mifsuds - all perfect and reasonable price

Master
    People have mentioned most of the UK's more widely known reputable s/h dealers above. One good source for more unusual items (especially Leica-fit and other classic parts) is Robert White:

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/used-equipment.html

Master
    At the risk of stating the obvious, your local camera emporia are also a good point to try. They will often have a selection of gear that others have traded in against new kit and good bargains can often be found. I bought a standard lens (80mm f/2.8) for my 'Blad for seventy quid when the cheapest I had found elsewhere for the same model was over a hundred and fifty!
    Jason

Journeyman
    Dale Photographic in Leeds are online. Bricks and mortar shop in the Merrion Centre in Leeds

They charge 20% commission and only 15% if you then buy from them.

I sold some Canon equipment with them and got a Fuji X1 Pro when the free lens offer was on

I did see a couple of new Zeiss E Sony prime Lenses on their site.

Could be worth a look

Terry

Craftsman
    Thanks for the reply's, Some good sites and recommendations.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
    People have mentioned most of the UK's more widely known reputable s/h dealers above. One good source for more unusual items (especially Leica-fit and other classic parts) is Robert White:

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/used-equipment.html
    When I was looking to sell my Leica M series camera and lenses I contacted a number of dealers, Robert White offered me £1000 for my collection, I went on to realise nearly £6k after commission from a London dealer.
    Probably a reputable dealer, but I was left with a bad taste in my mouth.

Master
    I've never sold any camera equipment to a dealer, although I have enquired for quotes on a couple of occasions, not from White (and have rapidly returned to forums or eBay).

I have bought a couple of used lenses (Leitz and Voigtlander) from Whites, and was fully satisfied on both occasions, for what that is worth.

The OP was about buying not selling, which we've clearly demonstrated is another shark-pool entirely

Master
    Depends what you after - digital or film, bodies or lenses - but a good camera forum usually has a For Sale and Wanted section.

We all know that dealers buy low and sell high ……. so it's how much is a few months warranty worth ….. film lenses are easy to check out, bodies are not difficult.

If you buy digital stuff from a camera forum you usually get an honest opinion …….

IMHO ……. I never go near a dealer for used stuff