closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: Holiday watch - yay or nay?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep, a cheaper beater watch is the way to go

50 40.98%
  • Nope, I take a good 'un with me

72 59.02%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheaper holiday watches - yay or nay?

Banned
    I have two holidays planned for June, I will be taking only this one on both occasions.

Banned
    I always take my DSSD, the only holiday watch I need.

If it's insured, then theft's a minor problem (unless it's something unique, but then you could drop it on a tiled floor at home...).

I might not trust an old dress watch on a beach, but a modern diver shouldn't have any issues.

Wear what you like, but, really, if you're thinking about this, buy a £40 Sekonda at the airport and give it to someone at the airport when you fly home - It's really not worth worrying about, it is?

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Interesting question, until a few years ago I only ever used to have a single watch that I'd wear all of the time no matter what I was doing - that only changed because the watch required an expensive service and I had a fear of not being able to replace the parts long term.

Since 2009 I've been buying and selling a few watches (currently 8 looking to cull) but find I always return to the same one or two as my regular wearer and inspite of buying a cheap beater tend to take my regular wear - I did the same with cars!

Do whatever you feel the most comfortable doing, a watch can be an expensive luxury item and perfectly reasonably to keep it nice.

Blog Entries
    Got to be honest I take both yay and nay

The holiday is one of the best period of the year to me and it deserves decent watch.

Only one watch needed when I go away...
    I wear one of my Grand Seiko's on holiday. A high end watch I can be quite sure I won't get mugged for.

On holiday at the moment, and wearing this.

One beer fuelled knock against the ceramic of the pool and a lifetime of regret if wearing the Rolex, so cheap with 200m of WR and Diver rated works for me!

David

Master
    Cheers everyone, I think the POCs will stay at home and I'll take the Spork. I've just ordered the rubber strap for it, so it'll be rubber for the beach and the bracelet in the evening.

Thanks for all the opinions!

I've just remembered that I now own a brand new orange dial Orient Mako II - so I guess that's likely to be my beach watch this year...

Simon

I doubt if I would ever changes straps/bracelets on a vacation! Sounds too much!

Master
    I took three watches - a Seiko GMT, my SMP 2264 Quartz, and my Fortis Chrono - on holiday to England and France over Christmas. I spent too much time worrying about whether one of them was at risk of getting stolen (not staying in a hotel). I reckon it's better to have one you can wear all the time, and not worry about it. It's probably safer on the wrist than in your bag. Next time I'll probably just take the SMP Quartz - quickset hour hand for crossing time zones; great WR, robust, and cheap enough not to be totally devastating if it's lost or damaged. And not too big of flashy. It doesn't need to be a beater, but unless you plan to do something on holiday that requires a specific tool watch, it's less stress to manage with one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by NenoS View Post
    The holiday is one of the best period of the year to me and it deserves decent watch.

I'd agree totally. Shorts, Tshirt, flip flops & a Rolex

This is my holiday watch. Goes onto a rubber strap. I even risk wearing it in the shower!

Last edited by mylofitz; 17th April 2014 at 14:25.

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire
    I always take my best plus one of many G Shocks I've accrued over the years.

Funny though, I've only thought about the theft thing recently. In India, everybody in the lift gawps at my Daytona, it's like a magnet for their eyes.

Craftsman
    I lock the expensive ones up safely when we go away and take a cheapie. I reckon the insurance company might be unimpressed if I took an expensive watch abroad and it was stolen, plus getting the expensive ones out again when I come home softens the disappointment of the end of the holiday. Until now I've always taken my Citizen as it does two time zones, but I'm tempted to start taking a Vostok instead.

A G-Shock for the pool and this black knight for evenings.
    Both super accurate and comfy, and the knight looks great, is not expensive and quite rare.

Quote Originally Posted by CVByrne View Post
    I'd agree totally. Shorts, Tshirt, flip flops & a Rolex
    +1 mate.
    Like watching myself in the mirror, ha ha ha.

As I have a few cheap Casios for sale soon I can only agree that a cheap watch is a good idea to take on holiday with you! :-)

I've always taken my Dievas Mesopelagic on a rubber strap on holiday - can take a good beating and dive in pool/sea without worrying. Sand washes off easy.

It's the only time I wear it now and as I really like it it's only fair it continues to get holiday wrist time!

Craftsman

Depends where you are going

and it depends if you are going to wear it when going to the beach or not. If you're not taking it for a dive I'd bring a holiday watch as I prefer not to leave anything with value in te hotel........

Master
    Off on holiday soon, will probably take my Citizen Eco-Drive World Timer which can be thrown in the bottom of my bag when I buy something nice to bring home.

Seems the Monsters are popular holiday watches. I always take my black Monster on Nato away on hols and wear it non stop. Don't want my SMP getting beat up/scratched and I love the Monster anyway...

Submariner is perfect for holidays.

Master
    I can see both sides to the argument but voted in favour of the Omega as I feel it should be worn and enjoyed. I love seeing posts of those that wear their watches and have battle scars and stories that go with it, along with ones life.

Journeyman
    I am going to family vacation in Greece this summer and will be wearing Polar Explorer 24/7 there. I think it is better choice for beach holiday than LVc because exp2 42mn doesn't have rotating bezel to catch sand. Just take care of your insurance.

Used to worry about this until I got the DA37 now that's all I take. Pretty much indestructible but smart enough for restaurants etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    I wear one of my Grand Seiko's on holiday. A high end watch I can be quite sure I won't get mugged for.
    Unless you're holidaying in Japan :P

Blog Entries
    I wonder about that. Unless you're an expert then I reckon a posh-looking Grand Seiko looks as worth stealing as a posh-looking Rolex.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    Unless you're holidaying in Japan :P
    Or at a car boot sale

Craftsman

Cool

Normally I don't really care. But it's all about destination. On the various trips in Europe and my road trip in the States, I have been quite comfortable with my better watches. Same when I went to a resort in the carribean.

However, for my trip to Brazil this year, that's not going to be the case, especially as I will spend some time in the city of Salvador which my Brazilian colleagues have told me is particularly "iffy". So given my propensity to have a few drinks and follow a pretty face anywhere, it's probably best that I don't have more than a few hundred quid on my wrist.

It leaves me debating what I should take as I'm moving around a lot so I can't take more than one, plus I'm combining work with a holiday so it needs to be an all rounder.

Journeyman
    It's also worth pointing out that if you need to know the time while you're on holiday, you're doing it wrong :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rano85 View Post
    Normally I don't really care. But it's all about destination. On the various trips in Europe and my road trip in the States, I have been quite comfortable with my better watches. Same when I went to a resort in the carribean.

However, for my trip to Brazil this year, that's not going to be the case, especially as I will spend some time in the city of Salvador which my Brazilian colleagues have told me is particularly "iffy". So given my propensity to have a few drinks and follow a pretty face anywhere, it's probably best that I don't have more than a few hundred quid on my wrist.

It leaves me debating what I should take as I'm moving around a lot so I can't take more than one, plus I'm combining work with a holiday so it needs to be an all rounder.
    Exactly, it's all about the destination, no worries in Monaco, but if going to El Salvador you even might want to keep the G-Shock at home!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I wonder about that. Unless you're an expert then I reckon a posh-looking Grand Seiko looks as worth stealing as a posh-looking Rolex.
    A good point. Some Rolexes are more recognisable than others to people with 22" monitors etc but none of them are particularly large, in-your-face and eye-catching - with the possible exception of the Deep Sea, which is the size it is in order to achieve its (admittedly academic for most) whopping depth rating. There are stacks of watches around that look virtually the same as either, especially as viewed through the eyes of a hopped-up mugger!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Red face

Depends where I'm going. I'd wear any watch for most of my holidays, but if I was going in water I wouldn't take a Patek. If i knew i was going somewhere dodgy i'd take a Seiko diver on a nato or a Casio.

Blog Entries
    I have never taken anything of value on hols till this year and my trip to Bali and Singapore over the last three weeks.

I took my CWC Diver which is the holiday hack of choice and chatting to a fellow WIS best pal thought i would also take the PO. He always travels in one of his nicer watches and at the end of the day depending on were you are going it is only loss you have to worry about. Noted there are places where it would be foolish.

The PO never left my wrist and it was nice one morning having a laugh in the lift going up to Ku De Ta with a Dutch fella wearing Planet Ocean's....

We are lucky to have nice watches so enjoy them I say.

Ta
    Paul

Master
    I don't have any high end Watches yet but this is the way i see it, if i had one it would largely depend on the sort of activities i was going to do whilst away... for example, i'm going away to Anglesey in my Touring Caravan in a couple of weeks and i wouldn't even wear my Steinhart as i do a lot of Sea Fishing and that means climbing around on some Rock Marks, so i always take my Seiko Monster, i know there is not masses of difference between them in price and someone else may consider doing this with the Steiny!

I think if i had say a Omega Planet Ocean and the worst thing was getting a bit of Sand and Sun Cream on it i would take it, suppose it's down to how particular you are about you Watches at the end of the day, but a very interesting Thread though as sometimes i have been in a dilemma with what Watch to take and as said i have nowt that expensive!

Matt :-)

Always the cheaper for me. I don't want to torture my expensive watches in any way and if the cheaper watch gets scratched, I wouldn't mind that much.

Craftsman
    I usually take this.... good enough for swimming etc... and for going out....

Quote Originally Posted by Mooty View Post
    It's also worth pointing out that if you need to know the time while you're on holiday, you're doing it wrong :)
    I've tried to think of a reason why you're wrong.

You aren't wrong.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    I have two holidays planned for June, I will be taking only this one on both occasions.

That watch looks fantastic on a green strap? (looks green to me).
    Regarding the holiday watch choice,i think unfortunately in this day and age ,you've to weigh up the risks first.

I put in a vote for cheapie watch because I don't want to have to think about anything don't care if it's insured or not.

I think it's just about being careful about where you go and how discreet/noticeable your watch is, like a gold Rolex vs a steel JLC or something vintage. For myself, having a relatively nice watch on vacation adds to the whole experience. Also, I might stumble upon some watch stores and it helps to be wearing something that's not too shabby.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rano85 View Post

Fixed my problem, thanks to snowman on SC. Picked up a nice alternative to my Explorer I for my trip to Brazil.

Orange Monster has been my choice for the last few years. Might take a Sumo as well this year as it's 'relatively' inexpensive, but the Monster will be worn for pool, beach etc.