closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rolex GMT losing time after Rolex service.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    If the watch is out by 12 secs/day it doesn`t matter what position it's in or how it's being timed, it's a long way away from where it should be. A freshly serviced Rolex shouldn't vary by more than 1 or 2 secs between each position. Wearing it will make very little difference.

This watch needs to go onto a timing machine to check what it's doing. If the amplitude is correct and the agreement between positions is correct, it needs regulating. How a watch can leave Rolex service centre like this is beyond me; I would be having a serious talk to them about the watch. Ideally, take it to a Rolex AD who has a repairer on site and get it checked out. If it only needs regulating it may be possible to get it done on site.

With all due respect to the OP, he's better spending his time pursuing some actions to resolve this rather than debating the niceties of saving the watch for the special occasion. Either wear the watch as-is and accept it's not behaving, or get it fixed. The compromise is to get it checked and determine whether it's running OK. If it is, it'll keep working, albeit inaccurately, and can therefore be relied upon. It can then be resolved at a later date.

Paul
    Thanks for a good reply Paul.

I checked the accuracy yesterday and the loss had reduced to 6 seconds. Today, 24 hours later, the loss was 4 seconds. So the loss is reducing and is scraping within COSC. I intend to check it over a 7 day period now and see what happens. If it's still out I will get it looked at, though I am not sure where my nearest AD with an on-site repairer might be (I am East Mids).

I spoke to the supplying dealer and he said that sometimes watches do need to settle in after a service. I defer to his greater knowledge but I assumed that a newly serviced watch would perform like a new one, and the new chronometers I have owned have been accurate out the box.

Once a watch has been regulated, can its journey through our postal service affect it?
    Perhaps it then takes a few days to settle down?

Craftsman
    Goldsmiths Leicester or Johnson's Nuneaton both have on site Rolex trained repairers .

Paul why doesn't it matter how it's timed!!! Surely this is the only question whilst timing a watch???? There are several factors that can make a difference that could explain loss of time one being what it is timed with or against.
    But as Paul says a timing machine is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega53 View Post
    Goldsmiths Leicester or Johnson's Nuneaton both have on site Rolex trained repairers .

Paul why doesn't it matter how it's timed!!! Surely this is the only question whilst timing a watch???? There are several factors that can make a difference that could explain loss of time one being what it is timed with or against.
    But as Paul says a timing machine is the way to go.
    I'm in Nottingham, so if work is required it will be a toss-up between Leicester or posting back to the supplier who is in London and who will, I suspect, take it straight back down to St James.

However, it remains to be seen whether it will need attention. The first two days were -12, then there were two days at -6, one at -4 and I would estimate it will be a similar loss at midday today. Where will it settle, if at all? If it remains at -4, however much it might irritate me, I cannot very well ask for it to be rectified, can I?

What I DON'T understand is how, having been newly serviced, it could lose 12 seconds a day when fully wound. The watch will have been tested, so presumably could not have been that way when on test, which was only about a week ago.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Fatman View Post
    I'm in Nottingham, so if work is required it will be a toss-up between Leicester or posting back to the supplier who is in London and who will, I suspect, take it straight back down to St James.

However, it remains to be seen whether it will need attention. The first two days were -12, then there were two days at -6, one at -4 and I would estimate it will be a similar loss at midday today. Where will it settle, if at all? If it remains at -4, however much it might irritate me, I cannot very well ask for it to be rectified, can I?

What I DON'T understand is how, having been newly serviced, it could lose 12 seconds a day when fully wound. The watch will have been tested, so presumably could not have been that way when on test, which was only about a week ago.
    If it was serviced by Rolex, it will be under warranty. Of course you can ask it to be rectified.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    If it was serviced by Rolex, it will be under warranty. Of course you can ask it to be rectified.
    If it remains at -4 it would be a chronometer which is operating within chronometer tolerances, I am not sure whether they may view it as performing correctly.

Banned
    If it remains at -4 it would be a chronometer which is operating within chronometer tolerances, I am not sure whether they may view it as performing correctly.
    It wasn't when you first posted FFS.

How about you delete the thread and let us know when you've finished deciding.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega53 View Post

Paul why doesn't it matter how it's timed!!! Surely this is the only question whilst timing a watch????
    With the watch allegedly 'out' by 12 secs/day, this margin is far greater than the expected positional variations and trying it in different positions shouldn`t make a difference of this magnitude. That's the point I was trying to make.

If the watch is now running at around +4 secs/day, that's within acceptability although it isn`t great.

After service, I`ve know watches take a couple of days to settle, but I`ve not come across anything that's taken longer. Can`t explain why this should've improved.

Hopefully, this'll prove to be OK with perhaps a minor regulation needed.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    It wasn't when you first posted FFS.

How about you delete the thread and let us know when you've finished deciding.
    No it wasn't but the situation has changed, whether permanently remains to be seen.

I am not going to delete the thread because it has thrown up one or two helpful comments.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    With the watch allegedly 'out' by 12 secs/day, this margin is far greater than the expected positional variations and trying it in different positions shouldn`t make a difference of this magnitude. That's the point I was trying to make.

If the watch is now running at around +4 secs/day, that's within acceptability although it isn`t great.

After service, I`ve know watches take a couple of days to settle, but I`ve not come across anything that's taken longer. Can`t explain why this should've improved.

Hopefully, this'll prove to be OK with perhaps a minor regulation needed.

Paul
    "Acceptable but not great" is about where it's at I think. Anyway let's see what the coming week brings.

Banned
    I've just clicked, it's GOLDSTONE

Prepare for Prada Loafers hitting Sales Corner.

Master
    Whilst auto watches can be hand wound I've always found the most reliable timings are by movement ie. wearing the thing for a few days, that's why you can buy watch winding machines that continually move to keep the watch powered up, rather than getting them out of the safe and winding them by hand every other day.

Have to say, have you thought about quartz?

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Whilst auto watches can be hand wound I've always found the most reliable timings are by movement ie. wearing the thing for a few days, that's why you can buy watch winding machines that continually move to keep the watch powered up, rather than getting them out of the safe and winding them by hand every other day.
    This. I've had watches that needed to be worn for a few days so that they're run fully wound for a period before they settle down and reveal their accuracy.

it remains at -4, however much it might irritate me, I cannot very well ask for it to be rectified, can I?

Yes you can. See my earlier post - I did exactly that in very similar circumstances, and with a 16710 to boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Plus View Post
    Yes you can. See my earlier post - I did exactly that in very similar circumstances, and with a 16710 to boot!
    Just re-read that. I am hopeful that it would not take so long if I send it back to the dealer. He seems to be on good terms with Rolex.

OP
    Have you tried changing the battery?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    *****UPDATE*****

OP is unsure whether it is now -4 secs or -3.7 secs/day, we are now going over LIVE to the scene, .......

I think Mike summed this thread up very early on, what a odd thread! The watch is obviously settling down after a service, I thought this was generally accepted behaviour, it's how it performs on the wrist that matters, to the op, what will you do if it stays within specs in the box but on your 'special day' of the great wearing drifts? The only useful comments in this thread ( to you ) are the ones that you want to hear....
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    The only useful comments in this thread ( to you ) are the ones that you want to hear....
    Not at all, I am hanging upon your every word.