closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Nautilus lovers out there ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Funny you should say that about the hands. I tried a new Aquanaut on last week (sorry to hijack the thread somewhat, by the way), and the lume on the hands and dial was a perfect match. Having come within a hair's breadth of relieving Watch Club of theirs, I see that - on every photo of the watch - the lume on the hands is a completely different colour to that on the dial. I'm aware that it might be partly down to the light, but even so there's clearly a difference, and I've decided not to go down there this morning in case I get sucked into a deal that I later regret because of this.

http://www.watchclub.com/w6737/patek...jumbo-full-set

Any thoughts?
    Slightly cheaper and newer – https://www.chrono24.com/en/patekphi...-id2593074.htm
    Brand new and not much more – https://www.chrono24.com/en/patekphi...-id2105682.htm

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    A fella on a French forum has put a six-month old one on the sales corner this afternoon, he wants 19.5k euros for it.
    A simple and academical exercise to show the wife that he'll just have to keep it, after no-one shows any interest.
    Either that or he's a prize turnip for expecting buyers at that level to have done bugger all research on pricing before committing themselves such an expenditure.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Thank you!

A simple and academical exercise to show the wife that he'll just have to keep it, after no-one shows any interest.
    Either that or he's a prize turnip for expecting buyers at that level to have done bugger all research on pricing before committing themselves such an expenditure.
    £16,000 as an asking price for a 6 month old watch isn't so crazy, is it?

Master
    Absolutely love them!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    £16,000 as an asking price for a 6 month old watch isn't so crazy, is it?
    Yes it is, especially when you see a brand new one can be had for under £13K, as per the second link in my prior post.

Yes it is, especially when you see a brand new one can be had for under £13K, as per the second link in my prior post.
    The £16k watch was a Nautilus (as per the subject of the thread) rather than an Aquanaut, which is where it seems to have drifted.

Master
    I don't get the preoccupation with the material as a determinant of how much a watch is 'worth'. Unless you happen to prefer the look of gold, where is the issue? Nobody is about to melt a Patek down for the scrap value and as long as the market values steel highly (as it does) why does it matter? You could pay £18k for a ss Patek and get £15k back if you sell, but perhaps a similarly priced gold watch will retain less residual value.
    Come on, this is just facetious, I'm sure you do get why I and most others will pay a certain amount for gold and a certain amount for steel and for plastic. A brand name is not enough or good resale, I want value and take into account opportunity cost in my decision making as well as looks.
    Last edited by aksing; 15th April 2014 at 20:04.

As has been said, £13k link is for an Aquanaut, from an Italian dealer.

The thread is about the Nautilus.

Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    Come on, this is just facetious, I'm sure you do get why I and most others will pay a certain amount for gold and a certain amount for steel and for plastic. A brand name is not enough or good resale, I want value and take into account opportunity cost in my decision making as well as looks.
    no it isn't...you could pay say £35k for a gold watch, or £18k for SS, why would the fact you have £2ks worth of gold on your wrist make you feel better about paying £17k more for the gold one, not to mention gold watches tend to lose more than SS on resale, so your £2k worth of gold will be wiped out with a bigger loss.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jegger View Post
    no it isn't...you could pay say £35k for a gold watch, or £18k for SS, why would the fact you have £2ks worth of gold on your wrist make you feel better about paying £17k more for the gold one, not to mention gold watches tend to lose more than SS on resale, so your £2k worth of gold will be wiped out with a bigger loss.
    Maybe , but Gold is a much nicer metal, as is Platinum. I like my watches to be made from nice metals.

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    Maybe , but Gold is a much nicer metal, as is Platinum. I like my watches to be made from nice metals.
    Any experiences with Palladium as a case metal?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Any experiences with Palladium as a case metal?
    Yes I have a Parmigiani Kalpagraph in palladium. Great metal, very much like platinum, lighter in weight and a little more Mercury like. Very white. Love it.

Not at all. When I buy a watch I am interested in two things:

1. Does it appeal to me...do I like it?

2. What is the cost of the transaction likely to be. (Purchase price minus potential resale price)

Now number one is a personal thing. I happen to prefer steel to gold most of the time. Number two depends on a number of factors including branding, market perception and general desirability. The materials a watch is made from will also play a part, but not a big one. I could name you dozens of solid gold watches around the £18k-£20k price point which will be worth a fraction of what a stainless steel Nautilus will be worth 2 years down the line. In fact I would struggle to name a solid gold £18k-£20k watch that will hold value better than a stainless steel Nautilus.

The only reason to buy a gold watch is if it fits in with the two criteria outlined, not because of the supposed intrinsic value of gold. How is a gold watch better 'value' if it becomes worth less over time?

Craftsman
    Due to the limited number of nautilus's made each year and demand resale value is high. In most cases I've seen pre owned selling for retail if not more. That's the blue dial 5711, the white doesn't seem quite as popular.
    5711 doesn't quite do it for me, I think the dial is quite plain and I don't like the bracelet. The aquanaut 5167 on the other hand is amazing, the dial needs to be seen in person to appreciate the detail. To be honest if the aquanaut and the nautilus cost the same price I would still pick the aquanaut, my favourite high end sports watch.

Master
    The £16k watch was a Nautilus (as per the subject of the thread) rather than an Aquanaut, which is where it seems to have drifted.
    Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post
    As has been said, £13k link is for an Aquanaut, from an Italian dealer.

The thread is about the Nautilus.
    Indeed it is – lost track of that whilst focusing on helping Tony. Mea culpa!

Master
    Not at all. When I buy a watch I am interested in two things:

1. Does it appeal to me...do I like it?

2. What is the cost of the transaction likely to be. (Purchase price minus potential resale price)

Now number one is a personal thing. I happen to prefer steel to gold most of the time. Number two depends on a number of factors including branding, market perception and general desirability. The materials a watch is made from will also play a part, but not a big one. I could name you dozens of solid gold watches around the £18k-£20k price point which will be worth a fraction of what a stainless steel Nautilus will be worth 2 years down the line. In fact I would struggle to name a solid gold £18k-£20k watch that will hold value better than a stainless steel Nautilus,
    The only reason to buy a gold watch is if it fits in with the two criteria outlined, not because of the supposed intrinsic value of gold. How is a gold watch better 'value' if it becomes worth less over time?
    Forget the other watches, lets just stick to the Nautilus. A used SS and a used 5711J in YG can be had for the same amount, around £16K. So resale is pretty much the same, there is no great benefit in having the SS at this price point.

As I stated if I am going to spend over £10K on a watch, then I want it to have the luxury and feel of gold or a desired complication. I will pay a five grand premium over a Rolex sub for the same basic SS watch for a PP and 3K for an AP, but not ten grand, that is where I draw the line at the moment. And yes I vastly prefer the look, feel and heft of gold, and in the case of the Nautilus where the prices are similar, I prefer the gold as you get far more bang for your buck and thus it is far better value.
    Last edited by aksing; 16th April 2014 at 00:08.

Craftsman
    It does look better in stainless steel and more wearable on a daily basis. Personally I wouldnt wear an 18k gold watch for work, too prone to scratches and dings.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post
    Personally I wouldnt wear an 18k gold watch for work, too prone to scratches and dings.
    I agree, but I have a couple of gold watches for play and a few steel for work.

Apprentice
    rose gold on brown leather nautilus is very nice. Tried one on in NYC recently

Forget the other watches, lets just stick to the Nautilus. A used SS and a used 5711J in YG can be had for the same amount, around £16K. So resale is pretty much the same, there is no great benefit in having the SS at this price point.

As I stated if I am going to spend over £10K on a watch, then I want it to have the luxury and feel of gold or a desired complication. I will pay a five grand premium over a Rolex sub for the same basic SS watch for a PP and 3K for an AP, but not ten grand, that is where I draw the line at the moment. And yes I vastly prefer the look, feel and heft of gold, and in the case of the Nautilus where the prices are similar, I prefer the gold as you get far more bang for your buck and thus it is far better value.
    Well if you prefer gold to steel, that's a good reason to buy a gold watch. I don't believe any notion of enhanced 'value' is a good reason though, because none exists in any tangible sense.

Craftsman

I went with the Aquanaut 5164

I love both the Nautilus and Aquanaut , and spent months going back and fourth over which I would buy. In the end I chose the dual time 5164 Aquanaut because I travel a lot with work so the second time zone is useful, the rubber strap made the watch more versatile ( and comfortable in tropical heat ) . Overall it has slightly more casual feel because of the rubber strap and size ( its a little deeper than the nautilus and aquanaut 5167 ) but goes well with a shirt and tie.

It seemed the perfect watch for me and was to cure me of my constant search for a grail . Recently I have been hankering after a Nautilus , either 5711 or 5712 ( I too would not normally go for an asymmetrical dial , but some how i find it stunning ) , if I go down that route then I will have to sell the 5164 ...I should know by now that there is no such thing as a grail and no cure for the disease , haha.

I will say though the 5164 is an absolutely stunning piece, the fit , finish , timekeeping , dial ...everyhting about is is in a league beyong anything I have owned before , which includes IWC's JLC's Blancpain, Rolex, Panerai , AP's and a Richard Mille ( the RM was one of the most disappointing watches I owned for the money ) .

I think the point is if you buy either the nautilus or aquanaut you wont be disappointed at all , just be prepared to want the other after a time .

Good luck

^^^ Interesting - I tried the 5164 the other day and agree that it's a superb watch. In fact, it caused a fair amount of confusion and but for the additional cost I'd probably have gone for that one.

Maybe you should sell me yours

I now have a 5167 en route from Patrick, due in two weeks and with my name on it as first dibs. I also have two other AD's who are trying to put the right deal together for me at the moment (which will be financially advantageous compared to the first but will involve a three-month wait), so it's all becoming quite exciting. Even more exciting is that once this is all sorted I'll be down to my final 5 (6 with the U1, which is probably THE perfect watch for knocking around in) and I can hibernate for a while.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jubbaa View Post
    I love both the Nautilus and Aquanaut , and spent months going back and fourth over which I would buy. In the end I chose the dual time 5164 Aquanaut because I travel a lot with work so the second time zone is useful, the rubber strap made the watch more versatile ( and comfortable in tropical heat ) . Overall it has slightly more casual feel because of the rubber strap and size ( its a little deeper than the nautilus and aquanaut 5167 ) but goes well with a shirt and tie.

It seemed the perfect watch for me and was to cure me of my constant search for a grail . Recently I have been hankering after a Nautilus , either 5711 or 5712 ( I too would not normally go for an asymmetrical dial , but some how i find it stunning ) , if I go down that route then I will have to sell the 5164 ...I should know by now that there is no such thing as a grail and no cure for the disease , haha.

I will say though the 5164 is an absolutely stunning piece, the fit , finish , timekeeping , dial ...everyhting about is is in a league beyong anything I have owned before , which includes IWC's JLC's Blancpain, Rolex, Panerai , AP's and a Richard Mille ( the RM was one of the most disappointing watches I owned for the money ) .

I think the point is if you buy either the nautilus or aquanaut you wont be disappointed at all , just be prepared to want the other after a time .

Good luck
    I wouldn't be selling the 5164, an amazing watch and not too many of them around. If you must you must but I think you're bucking the nautilus trend with the 5164, fantastic movement and due to the price it will be unlikely that you ll see someone wearing the same.

. Even more exciting is that once this is all sorted I'll be down to my final 5 (6 with the U1, which is probably THE perfect watch for knocking around in) and I can hibernate for a while.
    What's really amusing is that I genuinely think you believe that!

What's really amusing is that I genuinely think you believe that!
    I not only believe it, I know it

Master
    I was going to say I was a fan but then the discussion turned to actually buying one...

I not only believe it, I know it
    Okay, I suppose it depends on your definition of "a while".

Okay, I suppose it depends on your definition of "a while".
    For clarity, "hibernate" referred to stepping (further) back from the forums for a while. I have absolutely no intention of buying or selling watches once the PAM-out/Patrick-in trading has been accomplished.

I don't for a second believe that this will not be flipped before the year is out, but I know I AM looking forward to the excellent photos!

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I don't for a second believe that this will not be flipped before the year is out, but I know I AM looking forward to the excellent photos!
    I can assure you that if it was in any danger whatsoever of being flipped I would most certainly NOT be buying new! I'm a lot less stupid than I look

Master

PP Aquanaut / Nautilus

Tony I think the Aquanaut on bracelet that was apx £12k from a dealer wasn't too badly priced to be honest especially from a London Dealer ! and id have rather had a Nautilus if I'd have had the choice at the time (mine was traded in at a PP AD and a friend gave me the nod)

Buying one new at the time was never considered as I hadn't even liked or considered a PP , but now that I own one and have really got to like the Aquanaut on the bracelet I'm sure you will feel the same as I'm also sure you ll buy a deployment and rubber strap and alternate between the two with a totally different look and feeland love the watch.

I know if you buy new you'll make sure the price is keen

Whatever you decide enjoy it and take it easy

Master
    I'm a lot less stupid than I look
    Proof please!

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Same here. They'll become instant Google images classics.

heres one where the dial looks electric blue , the dial is stunning

The Nautilus has always attracted me even as a kid. I'm a child of the seventies so I like that look! I am not in the position of being able to have that much money tied up in a watch but if I did I wouldn't hide it away. I'd wear the s**t out of it! they're beautiful

I've just got back form Germany where I got the chance to try on a Glashutte Seventies- possibly the closest I'll get to a Nautilus - but that requires flipping one or two... A Nautilus would involve selling a kidney

There was a white dial 5711 available in Wembe on Bond Street, London at lunchtime today if anyone is looking for one. They seem to get one in every few months.

Banned
    I absolutely love Nautilus as much as Aquanaut which is more sportier and looks somewhat more of a tool watch.

Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    There was a white dial 5711 available in Wembe on Bond Street, London at lunchtime today if anyone is looking for one. They seem to get one in every few months.
    That is dangerous information!

Master

PP

Here s my Aquanaut on the wrist

Banned
    Simply beautiful, sporty, young and yet very elegant to be blended with suut.

Journeyman
    I am so preferring the Aquanaut on the metal bracelet...wondering if I should sell three Rolex and buy one, then just wear it all the time.....seriously, is it an everyday watch....?

oh, and apologies for deviation from original Nautilus thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Nytol View Post
    That is dangerous information!

No probs, I was thinking about getting one myself and tried one on. I do like it but I prefer wearing my AP RO and something in my head just makes me think there is too much of a similarity to buy the Nautilus as well. I think eventually I'll get a 5726 in a few years instead so that there is a bit more of a differential.

Proof please!
    Seconded. If you're a lot less stupid than you look Tony there's still a lot of room for manoeuvre there
    "A man of little significance"