closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Explorer II, white dial, a dressy (sports) watch?

Rolex Explorer II, white dial, a dressy (sports) watch?

a) Do you think that the Rolex (Oyster Perpetual Date) Explorer II with white dial is a dressy watch?
    b) Or perhaps a dressy sports watch?
    (To simplify, let us lump 16570 and 216570 together).

I would say yes to b) (no to a)) when the watch is viewed from its best side, that is at an angle where not all 24h markings are visible. Please note that this is the view used by Rolex in ads and in "full page" photos in the catalog. From this view the watch looks great.

I would say NO to a) and b) when you can see all the 24h markings. From this view the watch doesn't look that good.

The Rolex (Oyster Perpetual Date) Explorer II is a clear Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in the looks deparment, no doubt why they have angled the steel bezel, hiding some of the 24 markings when you look at the watch at an angle (not from the dial surface's normal)!

Inspiration:
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post3095557

A white-dialed Explorer II is an excellent watch, but it's not a particularly dressy watch. I personally wouldn't lump the models together. The bulkier 216570 is more casual in nature due its size and the design of its dial/hands. The 16550 and 16570 slip easily under a cuff and therefore don't draw much attention to themselves.

The current model would be a better all-arounder if they'd left it at its original size (just like the Explorer I). I'll reluctantly grant that the increased diameter improves legibility somewhat, but that's the only advantage of going bigger, and it compromises the unbeatable versatility of the previous iterations. The 40 mm ones are great for someone who just wants to get a single high-quality watch for any occasion and be done with it, as they're dressy enough for almost any situation but are as durable as it gets in a mechanical watch.

Among currently-produced models, the steel Daytona and the 36 mm steel OP/Datejust (the Air-King and Milgauss could work, too) remain at top of the heap for versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    A white-dialed Explorer II is an excellent watch, but it's not a particularly dressy watch. I personally wouldn't lump the models together. The bulkier 216570 is more casual in nature due its size and the design of its dial/hands. The 16550 and 16570 slip easily under a cuff and therefore don't draw much attention to themselves.

The current model would be a better all-arounder if they'd left it at its original size (just like the Explorer I). I'll reluctantly grant that the increased diameter improves legibility somewhat, but that's the only advantage of going bigger, and it compromises the unbeatable versatility of the previous iterations. The 40 mm ones are great for someone who just wants to get a single high-quality watch for any occasion and be done with it, as they're dressy enough for almost any situation but are as durable as it gets in a mechanical watch.

Among currently-produced models, the steel Daytona and the 36 mm steel OP/Datejust (the Air-King and Milgauss could work, too) remain at top of the heap for versatility.
    I totally agree that the 36 mm Datejust is perhaps the most versatile watch out there. Why doesn't other watches have that "humid weather" bracelet extention?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have the 42mm white Explorer II.

Very Sporty looking! dressy??? No!!!

Blog Entries
    I purchased a white T<25 dial last summer for my wife (cheers Michael) and it has not left her wrist.

It looks great casual and for black tie functions she has dressed up with silver jewellery, it looks fantastic.

So for women I think it dresses up well.

Paul

Master
    to 99% of the population, anything that says "Rolex" on the dial is dressy and not sporty.

But I agree, to us lot, a 42mm Polar Explorer II is about as far from dressy as it gets.

However, I own this watch (have I mentioned this fact before?!) and it's my only watch, so gets worn for all occasions.

I don't think the Explorer II is dressy for the reasons the OP gives. The Explorer 1 is more dressy - I would say it's a better all-rounder because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigster View Post
    I don't think the Explorer II is dressy for the reasons the OP gives. The Explorer 1 is more dressy - I would say it's a better all-rounder because of it.
    I would agree, but it lacks date!

The 16570 reminds me of a ringpiece.

So not that dressy.

Craftsman
    I would say definitely not. The Explorer I on the other hand (and the smaller Air King) is in my opinion the best all-rounder. I wouldn't wear it to a fancy evening event, but I'd be fine wearing it with a suit to work if I needed to.

An alternative would be an Omega Aqua Terra, which does a good job of combining sportyness with elegance (and has a date).

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    The 16570 reminds me of a ringpiece.

So not that dressy.
    Please show your working.

Master
    Its dressier than the black dial but is still a pure sports watch.

Craftsman
    Sporty, dress, casual...
    Looks better on Mrs. OD's wrist than mine.

-OD

Journeyman
    Explorer 1 & 2 (and DSSD) are the most tool watch like Rolex has to offer. Great movement, no TT or full gold models. Very sporty, but maybe least dressy of Rolex watches, but still lot more dressier than Panerais or Hublots.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Please show your working.
    Next time you wear one you'll see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by odgreen View Post
    Sporty, dress, casual... Looks better on Mrs. OD's wrist than mine. -OD
    Nooooo.. for the love of god get it away from that scratchy bracelet!

Quote Originally Posted by Rano85 View Post
    I would say definitely not. The Explorer I on the other hand (and the smaller Air King) is in my opinion the best all-rounder. I wouldn't wear it to a fancy evening event, but I'd be fine wearing it with a suit to work if I needed to.

An alternative would be an Omega Aqua Terra, which does a good job of combining sportyness with elegance (and has a date).
    Yes, the AT is a very nice watch, however a little bit thick and bulky. I would probably go Datejust, but the AT has a better movement, at least as better = more advanced and more accurate.

- - - Updated - - -

So, how off do you people here on this website think a white Explorer II looks with a dark suit? Completely? Or OK-ish?

I want your opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by youveboughtwhat View Post
    Yes, the AT is a very nice watch, however a little bit thick and bulky. I would probably go Datejust, but the AT has a better movement, at least as better = more advanced and more accurate.

- - - Updated - - -

So, how off do you people here on this website think a white Explorer II looks with a dark suit? Completely? Or OK-ish?

I want your opinion!
    If you are wearing anything other than a leather strapped dress watch with a suit then you are a massive pleb.

If you are wearing anything other than a leather strapped dress watch with a suit then you are a massive pleb.
    I'm a massive pleb then (whatever that is).

Edit: Really had to google that but it seems Plake is spot on.
    plɛb/
    nouninformalderogatory
    an ordinary person, especially one from the lower social classes.
    Last edited by davida; 12th April 2014 at 07:19.

Quote Originally Posted by odgreen View Post
    Sporty, dress, casual... Looks better on Mrs. OD's wrist than mine. -OD
    Errrr, that's a black dial...

Simon

What a ridiculous statement.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    to 99% of the population, anything that says "Rolex" on the dial is dressy and not sporty. But I agree, to us lot, a 42mm Polar Explorer II is about as far from dressy as it gets. However, I own this watch (have I mentioned this fact before?!) and it's my only watch, so gets worn for all occasions.
    So the guy who started The Breitling Appreciation Thread no longer owns one?! Adrian, how could you?!

Simon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    So the guy who started The Breitling Appreciation Thread no longer owns one?! Adrian, how could you?!

Simon
    I know, I know, it's shameful! Though technically I do have one - my first watch - a SuperOcean Chrono, but it's on my dad's wrist for life, as a permanent loan!

Breitling truly is my number 1 sweetheart - I keep returning to them again and again, despite my flirtation with Rolex.

I currently have the new Basel Chronomat GMT 44 on order though, as it has everything I need in a watch (Breitling, steel, GMT, chrono & date)

I should damn well think so Sir! What is the world coming to...?!

I'm now down to two, but they are keepers.

Terribly sorry chaps, I seem to have hijacked the thread. As you were...

Simon

^ Love it!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger Plus View Post
    Nooooo.. for the love of god get it away from that scratchy bracelet!
    Exactly what I thought when I saw it! Either the bracelet or the watch will suffer.

As for the OPs question, it all depends on whose definition of 'dress watch' we're using. Anything that won`t fit under a shirt cuff is a no-no, but that also depends on the size of the wrists in relation to collar size; some folks with small wrists and big necks can fit larger watches under their cuffs!

The Explorer 2 isn`t one of my favorites, I`m not a fan of GMT watches. Explorer 1 36mm ticks the boxes for me, a real 'wear it anywhere' watch.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 15th April 2014 at 11:37.

Grand Master
    Very good, but you have to define "dress watch". For some people "dress watch" means a Speedypro because it's got some "blingy polished bits".
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I would respectfully disagree.
    I am sure big,thick watches may look out of place but one can carry off most watches with the suit. Just has to look right on you.
    A slim watch on a leather strap will ofcourse never look out of place.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 15th April 2014 at 16:17.

if it is a cynical joke.....it is not a good one!!

if it is serious......I'd like to object:

a couple of examples which are perfect for suiting up:

Oysterquartz (Rolex)

Ingenieur 40mm(IWC)

Nautilus (PP)

Royal Oak 15202 or 15300 (AP)

Last 3 I call the glorious Gentas. All of them fit suit, t-shirt and even bathing suit perfectly. Some are more brute and sporty, but still very elegant!

I had the chance of owning them all and regret letting go most of them. I am left with the IWC and it is worn every day to the office !

Master
    That's a pretty plebtastic shirt & cufflink combination tbf.

Not a dressy watch, the Sub/SD 16600 and GMT C are more dressy but a Plat YM IMHO does dressy, sporty and elegant very well and they are a bargain pre-owned.