closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying on £690k worth of watches - Dubai Mall

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Trying on £690k worth of watches - Dubai Mall

I went to Dubai a few weeks ago, and whilst the Mrs was sunbathing I donned the AP, and took to Dubai mall to do some watch window/wrist shopping with watches you don't see everyday :)

Richard Mille Boutique

Rolex

Cartier

Parmigianni

AP

This watch weighed an absolute tonne! don't know how anyone could wear it comfortably

Ulysse Nardin

And now for some really brash horrible stuff...

£120k Mont blanc solid gold pen anyone?

And finally a couple of my own holiday snaps :)

Last edited by PWatch; 28th March 2014 at 12:28.

How are Rolex prices in Dubai compared to UK ADs? I may be there some time this summer. Thanks

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I only tried on the gold models - they instantly knocked 20% off without me asking though

The RRP seemed very similar as a starting point
    Last edited by PWatch; 28th March 2014 at 12:21.

Very nice! I really like that UN freak...

By the way, given the number of photos you uploaded, you might want to edit your post to use IMG tags correctly so people using tapatalk etc can see the pics correctly and scroll through them. I could only be bothered looking at four or five of them now because of the extra hassle involved in seeing them.

See this thread here: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=262490

Wow,
    What an amazing collection of hideous watches.

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    Very nice! I really like that UN freak...

By the way, given the number of photos you uploaded, you might want to edit your post to use IMG tags correctly so people using tapatalk etc can see the pics correctly and scroll through them. I could only be bothered looking at four or five of them now because of the extra hassle involved in seeing them.

See this thread here: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=262490
    Thanks for the heads up - never knew that.....now amended :)

Quote Originally Posted by PWatch View Post
    Thanks for the heads up - never knew that.....now amended :)
    Thank you. Looking at all the pics now! :D

Some amazing watches right there.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Wow,
    What an amazing collection of hideous watches.

Can always rely on TZ to produce some negative moron with a keyboard

I resemble that remark,,,,

I would wear the ever-living shit out of the 18k Sky-Dweller and the 18k AP RO chromo. Gosh.

Ha, brilliant.

I had a similar trip around London but only got to about £500k - a RM, JLC giro and several Pateks getting me most of the way there! Altough most enjoyment for me is still to be had with sports and divers.

We should have a competition thread - maybe just limit it to value in one day, in one location - pics or it didn't happen - and excluding Basel SIHH etc...
    Gray

Looks like a fun afternoon, great post!
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Master
    So which one was your favorite ? Always liked the RM011RG myself, though am not even close to be able to afford one !
    Last edited by JP28; 28th March 2014 at 13:34.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Talking

I love the RM30 RG out of these and the UN torro

Although I have bought one of the other watches I tried on after I got back, just waiting for it to arrive... :D

Master
    Love the UN GMT Perpetual and Freak, think your AP was the nicest of the lot. Cool photos.

Master
    No, just someone with an opinion that doesn't align with yours. I happen to agree - there is nothing there that appeals to me, even if I could afford them.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    No, just someone with an opinion that doesn't align with yours. I happen to agree - there is nothing there that appeals to me, even if I could afford them.
    No problem with people not agreeing with tastes - it's what the world goes round.

What you can always rely on on here is someone letting you know that they don't like your taste and adding unnecessary negativity...I wouldn't jump on a oris or sinn thread or whatever and say they look boring, there's no need

My mother always told me if you don't have anything nice to say then say nothing at all

No problem with people not agreeing with tastes - it's what the world goes round.

What you can always rely on on here is someone letting you know that they don't like your taste and adding unnecessary negativity...I wouldn't jump on a oris or sinn thread or whatever and say they look boring, there's no need

My mother always told me if you don't have anything nice to say then say nothing at all
    So, which beauty did you buy?

I don't think it's necessary for all remarks to be positive. There are some watches there that are truly horrible to my eye and some interesting ones.

Thanks for taking the time to post though. Whether I like them or not, it's interesting to see what's around, especially in the "Superwatch" category that I'll never be able to afford!

Your photos are about 200 times more representative than the manufacturers own 'publicity' shots...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

An interesting group of very expensive items provoking some interesting asides.
    I don't like any of them, and say so because this is a forum which, I presume, exists to promote discussion and opinion.
    (Is that the sound of dismounts from high horses?)

Journeyman
    Great pictures and thanks for taking the time to post them however I have to agree with an earlier post, not one of those watches appeals to me one bit, but each to their own.

Bling-tastic!! Looks like you had fun.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RJK35 View Post
    (Is that the sound of dismounts from high horses?)
    Yep...you sure told me

Master
    Don't shoot the messenger!

The black AP chrono does however stand out as being a little less, well... Dubai than some of the others.

Thanks for posting, enjoyed the pics. Those superb RM watches are ones I'd probably buy if I could.

A lot of the others I couldn't wear - I think you'd have to be a Jason Statham/Sly Stallone figure to pull them off!

Do show us the new watch when it arrives

Some fantastic watches here! Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    How are Rolex prices in Dubai compared to UK ADs? I may be there some time this summer. Thanks
    I was there in Feb and found the RRP slightly less than UK but ....................I went to 2 ADs and they offered 10% off without asking even on the sports range. Just as a comparison I was looking at the Explorer 1 which is £4300 retail here and with the discount was just over £3700.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Love the Parmigiani and all the UNs . Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    I agree that Parmigiani make some nice watches. I just don't think I could ever get over that name though... I'd think of grated cheese every time I look at the dial. Really unfortunate. A bit like Parnis...

Banned
    Some stunners there, I think the gold Sky D looks great I am really contemplating one, but on leather less is more for me, so SkyD or AP hermmm.

That Parmigianni is an absolute beauty. What was the RRP on that?

What a great thread. Thanks for posting.

I still don't get the RM thing. The only one that I find remotely interesting is the skull watch & that looks bosseyed on account of the movement being visible in one eye cavity.

I'll get scolded for this but the WG Submariner looked a bit cheap in this company. The Parmigiani gave me a lob on! Very, very attractive piece.

Certainly some very interesting pieces.
    Personally I wouldn't buy any of them though, not just because I assume the prices are very high, I just don't like the look of them.

Craftsman
    Great pictures, thanks for sharing. I don't really get this haute-horlogerie stuff though. Most of the time the really, really expensive watches - whilst technologically impressive - are much too large and rather crass looking. They're the sort of things bought by F1 drivers and footballers. It reminds me of Hublot in a lot of ways.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattG View Post
    Great pictures, thanks for sharing. I don't really get this haute-horlogerie stuff though. Most of the time the really, really expensive watches - whilst technologically impressive - are much too large and rather crass looking. They're the sort of things bought by F1 drivers and footballers. It reminds me of Hublot in a lot of ways.
    I actually agree with you in some ways, however Hublot IMO are everything that is bad about this sector of the luxury watch market - large and crass without the movement or technology to back it up, often ripping off designs of the other players in the process. Plus they are generally worn by the less desirable of the z list celeb circuit

And Andy, I think thee RRP on the parmigiani was around £25-30k - the teardrop lugs were truly a work of art from the side profile

There's one hell of a lot of people not commenting on this thread!

I'm afraid I fall into the category of people who can appreciate the craftsmanship but not the designs. Which is lucky! I do think though that if these designs were £200 Seikos or Citizens very few people would actually buy them. Sure, the materials won't be as good but with these watches it seems to be all about the name and perceived exclusivity.
    "A man of little significance"

I'm not saying a thing

But I do like the thread. Kind of mind boggling. Did you say why you were taking so many photos? "So my wife can see when I get back"?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MattG View Post
    They're the sort of things bought by F1 drivers and footballers. It reminds me of Hublot in a lot of ways.
    You think they actually put their hand in their pocket?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    I'm not saying a thing

But I do like the thread. Kind of mind boggling. Did you say why you were taking so many photos? "So my wife can see when I get back"?
    This was in numerous boutiques and I said I'll ask my wife's opinion later ..plus I was overwhelmed with the response I got from wearing my AP, treated like royalty and every sales assistant commented, even in Mont Blanc! I've never had one comment in the uk

Does go to show how money orientated they are there and how the staff must be trained to identify potential customers

And Andy, I think thee RRP on the parmigiani was around £25-30k - the teardrop lugs were truly a work of art from the side profile[/QUOTE]

I best get saving then. Java has a lovely collection of parmigiana and I always enjoy the photos of them when he puts them up on here and turf. That ones something else though.

Thanks for sharing.

This was in numerous boutiques and I said I'll ask my wife's opinion later ..plus I was overwhelmed with the response I got from wearing my AP, treated like royalty and every sales assistant commented, even in Mont Blanc! I've never had one comment in the uk

Does go to show how money orientated they are there and how the staff must be trained to identify potential customers
    Indeed OP this all speaks volumes

Journeyman
    Not a single watch I would even contemplate in wearing. Sorry if this negative but there is not a ounce of style, class, simplicity, design or taste in my humble opinion.

Journeyman
    That parmigiana is a stunner!

I don't see it as being negative just personal opinion I really don't like any of those other than the royal oak AP which I think is the one you own? The blue dial sub is ok but the rest just remind me of everything I saw wrong in the Gulf, even the Cartier a name I generally like looks terrible. Buy big, crass looking items that would never sell anywhere else for no other reason than to maintain an image of the Gulf being swimming in money (Which really it isn't)

I have to admit, the majority of those watches don't really float my boat, except the Parmigianni and the whitegold Rolex sub which looks gorgeous, just my personal preference not meant as a criticism of the OP.

To be fair to the OP though, If I was in his shoes I'd have done the exactly the same. There's no harm in doing a bit of window shopping and seeing what styles suit/don't suit and there's only one way to find out and that's to try them on.

Craftsman
    I think Congrats to the OP and thanks for sharing. It must have been an amazing afternoon trying on all those and generally enjoying the experience. None of those watches are to my taste but I enjoyed the post nonetheless.

I think what qualifies as tasteful in the middle east is very different to what appeals to most western eyes. Last weeks TV show about Rolls Royce proved that. I like the black faced AP chronograph though.

Master
    Awesome pictures, I was there last year but didn't take any pictures, did get some dirt cheap ray bans though

Weird, I was there last week. That mall is wild. My favorite....

Last edited by demer03; 28th March 2014 at 23:08.

Blog Entries
    This is quite a unique posting on this forum, I think. Where else can you see so many high end (expensive) watches ON A MAN's WRIST in one posting. Sure you can find the pics of these watchen on the 'net, all one by one. But so many, so exclusive and being worn? I don't think there was a posting like this before!

Thanks!

Menno

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    I thought this was your updated SOTC!!!!!