closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Tudor Black Bay (Baselworld release)

Craftsman

New Tudor Black Bay (Baselworld release)

From Hodinkee:

Simply the Black Bay we all know, but with midnight blue bezel and crown tube, and silver hands instead of gold.

I don't really know what to think. Nice addition, but I liked the red accent.

pretty unremarkable when compared to the original....imho.

& non-aged lume - lovely. But... I still like the original :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    That will look great in reality, especially on a blue NATO or bracelet. The quality of the black bay is way above what I expected so I think this will make a great buy.

Banned
    I think a Black Bay will be my next purchase.

Craftsman
    I would definitely have preferred black bezel/crown tube, and the existing gold hands and minute track.

Quote Originally Posted by Joppers View Post
    I would definitely have preferred black bezel/crown tube, and the existing gold hands and minute track.
    I'm inclined to agree....maybe next year!

Craftsman
    Looks like there might be a black bezel version of this (with silver hands), according to some pictures posted in twitter by watchuseek!

Update: Looks like the bezel is just a very dark shade of blue, see below.
    Last edited by Joppers; 25th March 2014 at 23:51.

Master
    Last edited by W44NNE; 25th March 2014 at 23:37.

Craftsman
    Ah, so it's a very dark blue. Actually quite nice!

Master
    Probably quite wearable compared to a red watch, in real life.

Master
    I like that!

Really like that... now for the pelagos...

Craftsman
    +1. Nothing special about this one, no wow factor

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Nice.

Looks like there might be a black bezel version of this (with silver hands), according to some pictures posted in twitter by watchuseek!
    Link please.

Wouldn't take much to fit some, not sure how available parts are though?

That looks great.....as does the mock up black bezel with gold hands I've seen

I was never hugely taken by the red one but next to this new one it looks quite nice. This new black bay just looks boring. But I do agree, a blue Pelagius could be interesting.

Now that I like, I had considered the red bezel Black Bay but this dark blue does it for me. And Tudor should be back in UK dealers soon as well.
    Last edited by Operation Grandslam; 26th March 2014 at 01:39.

Master
    Now that looks very very nice indeed

I could seriously go for one of these. First time I've felt a twinge in the wallet for ages! - might even flip my LV and get both versions of the black bay with all the strap options. Any news on Tudor opening AD's in the UK?

Master
    Love it. Better than the original in all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I could seriously go for one of these. First time I've felt a twinge in the wallet for ages! - might even flip my LV and get both versions of the black bay with all the strap options. Any news on Tudor opening AD's in the UK?
    Yes, as, later this year and before the Basel watches are all released :)
    It's just a matter of time...

I really like it. I think Tudor have done really well given their dwindle in the past 10-20 years.
    I think this will look really nice, same as the previous heritage looks great and the AR coating helped present the dial really well.

Well done Tudor!

Craftsman
    I cant help thinking it just looks like another Sub clone now.

Grand Master
    Oh! Thats a disappointment but still the other stuff is OK. Having had a Tudor it was a very well built piece and bang for buck it is right up there but you do find that most owners use the line 'Its made by Rolex' , so if you use that line just buy yourself a Rolex and be done with it
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by SiderealJ View Post
    I really like it. I think Tudor have done really well given their dwindle in the past 10-20 years.
    I think this will look really nice, same as the previous heritage looks great and the AR coating helped present the dial really well.

Well done Tudor!
    I find it amazing that Rolex design has gone in a direction that just doesn't appeal to me at all, whilst Tudor has repeatedly produced watches in the last 5 years that IMHO look fantastic. Much more important than the name on the dial for me, having owned a few Rolex watches over the years they no longer hold that cache of 'ooh it's a Rolex' - I think I prefer the stealth of the Tudor brand to the now slightly naff 'man jewellery' direction Rolex seem to be going. I mean, no crown guards, strap options, what's not to like!!?? And why haven't Rolex made a blue version of the LV? Having owned my LV for 6 years now, green isn't a very good colour for a watch - they should have stuck with the 16610 LV as the 50th anniversary watch then produced a blue version of the SubC. I just don't understand Rolex any more!!

Grand Master
    And why haven't Rolex made a blue version of the LV? Having owned my LV for 6 years now, green isn't a very good colour for a watch - they should have stuck with the 16610 LV as the 50th anniversary watch then produced a blue version of the SubC. I just don't understand Rolex any more!!
    Green is Rolex's in-house "colour" (when it's not black or silver) and they already have a blue one, although it's white gold. Rolex's approach to its sports models is not the same as others - no myriad bezels, dial hardware, colours, strap options etc. Although if you want a blue-dialled Rolex, there are various DJs, Cellinis, a Yacht-master etc. If anything they are offering more colours now, not fewer, so not sure what there is to not understand...?
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Not sure about this one, it looks kinda 'cold' after the warmth of the red and gold.

To be honest I much prefered the mock-up pics that were released, that design had a much more 'Bond' look.

Last edited by Meinessex; 26th March 2014 at 10:16.

As it has white lume unlike the red version, I wonder if it possible to replace the snowflake handset for a mercedes handset.

Master
    Would prefer blue bezel/blue face or black bezel/black face, mixing the two just seems wrong.

Blog Entries
    What a surprise!

You got to give it to them, what a creativity..................

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Below is a copy of a tweet from Leonard Dews a Rolex AD, from earlier this month.

@LeonardDews: We're proud to announce that from September we will be stocking #Tudorwatches in our Blackpool and Isle of Man stores http://t.co/dfPbwnNNmg

Dan

When I spoke to my local AD the other week I mentioned Tudor and he stated they should be launching in the UK in September but they wouldn't have them until March time next year.

Master

Very Sylish very 60s

Quote Originally Posted by Meinessex View Post
    Not sure about this one, it looks kinda 'cold' after the warmth of the red and gold.

To be honest I much prefered the mock-up pics that were released, that design had a much more 'Bond' look.

I absolutely love the look of the black bay,this is very retro which i love about the tudors,i thought the red version was stunning when it was released but wasnt sure if i would tire of that colour.The black and blue versions are very (bond),with looks like an acrylic crystal.
    I only wish the wouldnt put the words self winding rotor on the face!

Seems odd to not go for a rich deep blue face… closer to its heritage. I wonder if its to stark as is? Interesting to see some live shots coming in from the show.

Master
    Really like this a lot!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    Seems odd to not go for a rich deep blue face… closer to its heritage. I wonder if its to stark as is? Interesting to see some live shots coming in from the show.

I like the current version, but it's hard to not see this as an improvement.
    Last edited by JP Chestnut; 26th March 2014 at 16:55.

I think that I agree with you. I prefer the red one, too.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Green is Rolex's in-house "colour" (when it's not black or silver) and they already have a blue one, although it's white gold. Rolex's approach to its sports models is not the same as others - no myriad bezels, dial hardware, colours, strap options etc. Although if you want a blue-dialled Rolex, there are various DJs, Cellinis, a Yacht-master etc. If anything they are offering more colours now, not fewer, so not sure what there is to not understand...?
    I'm only saying the original 16610 LV makes sense in green precisely because it's the Rolex 'house colour'. Why they continue to make a green sub (long after the 50th sub anniversary) and not a blue one mystifies me. Yes I could get a white gold sub but it costs more than my car. I know Rolex are 'different' but that doesn't mean it always makes sense.

Master
    I'm only saying the original 16610 LV makes sense in green precisely because it's the Rolex 'house colour'. Why they continue to make a green sub (long after the 50th sub anniversary) and not a blue one mystifies me. Yes I could get a white gold sub but it costs more than my car. I know Rolex are 'different' but that doesn't mean it always makes sense.
    The really weird one is the GMT2. They added green text and 24 hour hand for it's 50th anniversary and then never got rid of it! The current black dial would be much nicer with a red 24h hand and white script.

Just droppin' this here, rather than starting another thread. Also from Hodinkee.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Just droppin' this here, rather than starting another thread. Also from Hodinkee.

I love the look of the new Ranger - but at 41mm I think it's a bit too big. Shame, it's real pretty.

Master
    Would have loved to see the Black Bay in black with vintage dial

Very disappointed with the Ranger. The bracelet and red second hand cheapens the look of the watch to me

Yep. Not as big a fan of the Ranger as I thought I would be. Not keen on the bracelet and the case shape has lost the originals ( or should that be Rolex's original) elegance.

The Blue Black bay is a cracker though. Definitely my next watch purchase.

I like the new blackbay, better than red one. I don't like new ranger:/

I would have liked a matching blue dial and bezel but having handled two Black Bay's, I do prefer this new model.

Last edited by j111dja; 26th March 2014 at 22:12.

I like the blue but prefer the red. It seems so much warmer. Plus I own one! ;-)

Saying that it I had spare cash I would be tempted to add it to my growing Tudor collection!

I like the blue bezel.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

The original Black Bay really hasn't ever done it for me, but I like this one a lot.

I still think I'd prefer to scratch the Pelagos itch first though. That will be my next purchase.