closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Another DSSD or ..... AP Royal Oak Offshore thread

Another DSSD or ..... AP Royal Oak Offshore thread

I love my DSSD but have the opportunity to get an AP Offshore. I had an AP 15300 blue dial a few years ago and like my Panerai it got very little non WIS attention. Which I like. The DSSD get a lot of attention.

So do I get the AP offshore and sell my DSSD and keep my 116613 LB or drop the Sub for the AP? I feel the AP and DSSD (on rubber B) do a similar job. Or will I regret getting rid of the DSSD like last time and just end up buying another back again?

Or

Just spotted this!!!!

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...amp-unpolished

Do I sell my DSSD to fund this?

Arghhhh stop looking at this forum. :-0
    Last edited by paneristi372; 24th March 2014 at 16:48.

Out of those mentioned, the vintage sea-dweller is by far the nicest piece. I'd be happy with just that.

AP by ten thousend million miles.....

Master
    Answered your own question.

Keep the DSSD or you will only regret it.Flip the Sub.

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    Just spotted this!!!!

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...amp-unpolished

Do I sell my DSSD to fund this?

Arghhhh stop looking at this forum. :-0
    My answer would be a firm negative. Has a replacement bracelet,a pip that doesn't match and is about £2k too expensive and it's only a MK3 1665. This is what they go for in the real world.

£6370 MK1
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/20767...te+Sea+Dweller

£6310 MK1
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/20767...te+%2410%2C400

£9580 MK1 With box and papers from a trusted dealer (has replacement bracelet).
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/20767...te+Sea+Dweller

AP for me. Cracking watch and like you like the fact that the majority of people will not have any idea as to price.

wait a couple of days and see what rolex announce at basel.

I am a big fan of AP's but couldn't own a Royal Oak unless it had a ceramic bezel. Wabi just doesn't look good on these watches IMHO.

If I were you I'd settle down with a nice cup of tea and look at knives, or torches, or cars, or whateverthehellelseitisthatfloatsyourboat for a while and calm down.

Then I'd settle for the one that I've decided I want.
    Gray

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Answered your own question.

Keep the DSSD or you will only regret it.Flip the Sub.
    +1 - on my 5th DSSD and it's a keeper......no, it really is.......honest....it is........

100% the AP in my opinion!! Nice choice to have to make though

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    If I were you I'd settle down with a nice cup of tea and look at knives, or torches, or cars, or whateverthehellelseitisthatfloatsyourboat for a while and calm down.

Then I'd settle for the one that I've decided I want.

Kind of laid up at the moment with a slipped disk so have too much time in my hands :-(

I had an AP ROO diver once - and although the build quality is superb and it has a great movement nothing alters the fact that
    it felt rubbish/uncomfortable on the wrist ie: the DSSD bracelet is far nicer and more comfortable than the AP rubber strap.
    On an AP bracelet it's a different story- but you could go on a luxury holiday for the price of buying an AP metal bracelet-they are extortionate.

Kind of laid up at the moment with a slipped disk so have too much time in my hands :-(
    Ouch! In that case you need more choices to investigate. Phantom top divers, top chronograph, dress, moonphase... The AP is a cracking watch but won't take a beating like a rollie. And a vintage rollie should not be beaten. And you can forget that blocky lugged thing :-)
    Gray

Blog Entries
    Keep the deepsea, you'll regret selling

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by newsboy View Post
    Keep the deepsea, you'll regret selling
    + 1

I m talking myself into another one even though I hardly wore it when I had it , great watches that wear beautiful on the wrist .

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
    I am a big fan of AP's but couldn't own a Royal Oak unless it had a ceramic bezel. Wabi just doesn't look good on these watches IMHO.
    This one would be tempting (actually here on Sales Corner)

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...light=offshore

Flip the SUB.

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post

The simpler the better for me. Bit too much going on there. Initially I wasn't a fan of the rehaut on the DSSD but after trying one realised it wasn't as noticeable when worn on the wrist. It just stands out when you start analysing HD pic on the internet.
    Last edited by paneristi372; 24th March 2014 at 23:10.

What about an AP 15400 instead?

Journeyman
    I've had a DSSD, eyeing an AP ROO next (Panda, or ceramic diver). It's a logical progression

Master
    Very good question and having given it the required consideration I would have to vote for the Deep Sea. I love the AP and coveted from afar but the deep sea got my money in the end. So much watch for the money.....

Craftsman
    For me it all depends on how long you intend to keep hold of the AP which by the way I really love .
    Rolex would the wise choice with regards servicing , watching the latest archie luxury video he mentioned the rip off prices AP charge for a service , one reason why the used market seems so reasonable .
    Not a fan of his but I think he has a valid point and it's the hidden cost of owning watches we don't think about.
    So for me it's the rolex .
    Last edited by omega; 25th March 2014 at 06:26.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by omega View Post
    For me it all depends on how long you intend to keep hold of the AP which by the way I really love .
    Rolex would the wise choice with regards servicing , watching the latest archie luxury video he mentioned the rip prices AP charge for a service , one reason why the used market seems so reasonable .
    Not a fan of his but I think he has a valid point and it's the hidden cost of owning watches we don't think about.
    So for me it's the rolex .
    I had a quote of £700 on the AP a year or so ago. It's more than the Rolex of course but in the grand scheme of things...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I had a quote of £700 on the AP a year or so ago. It's more than the Rolex of course but in the grand scheme of things...
    Only being able to get the spares you need from AP was also his big gripe as the prices can be extortionate .
    It gave me food for thought , unless I win the lottery .
    Not sure but do Rolex provide spare parts to watch makers or do they do the same as AP.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Having owned both a DSSD and an AP offshore, I'd say AP all day long - feels that bit more special and the finishing on dial and case is exceptional

RE: parts - buy one 12-24 months old. You can send it back to AP within 24 months and they will do a complimentary FOC water resistance service ,and extend your warranty to 36 months. On a young and non-complicated AP, I'd say you'd be unlucky for anything to go wrong.

PM me and I'll be happy to advise of some good places to get a deal on the AP

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PWatch View Post
    Having owned both a DSSD and an AP offshore, I'd say AP all day long - feels that bit more special and the finishing on dial and case is exceptional

RE: parts - buy one 12-24 months old. You can send it back to AP within 24 months and they will do a complimentary FOC water resistance service ,and extend your warranty to 36 months. On a young and non-complicated AP, I'd say you'd be unlucky for anything to go wrong.

PM me and I'll be happy to advise of some good places to get a deal on the AP

Fancied the AP diver for a while I already own the DSSD and it's a great watch, is the warranty transferable ?, I assume it would be sent back through an AD what associated paperwork if any would you require ?, do you have to register the watch in your name with AP, how would you find out if an AP has already been back for the WR test and has the extra warranty.

Sorry for all the questions.
    Last edited by Fords; 25th March 2014 at 10:15.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    Fancied the AP diver for a while I already own the DSSD and it's a great watch, is the warranty transferable ?, I assume it would be sent back through an AD what associated paperwork if any would you require ?, do you have to register the watch in your name with AP, how would you find out if an AP has already been back for the WR test and has the extra warranty.

Sorry for all the questions.
    Yeah warranty transferable - it's on the watch not the purchaser

Only paperwork required is booklet that comes with it. No, u don't need to send via AD, send directly to UK service centre - they then return it FOC in an armoured truck in a complimentary AP leather case, all very cool :D

If it's already been back, it has an extra page in book which says '3rd year warranty and water service' the name then goes in the warranty book but no big issue if registered to someone else. Prior to sending into AP it needs to be registered online

All very easy, and AP are super friendly and helpful (Alistair in particular) - took about 10 days to get watch back in January this year

Master

Only paperwork required is booklet that comes with it. No, u don't need to send via AD, send directly to UK service centre - they then return it FOC in an armoured truck in a complimentary AP leather case, all very cool :D

If it's already been back, it has an extra page in book which says '3rd year warranty and water service' the name then goes in the warranty book but no big issue if registered to someone else. Prior to sending into AP it needs to be registered online

All very easy, and AP are super friendly and helpful (Alistair in particular) - took about 10 days to get watch back in January this year
    I agree, definitely one of the friendlier watch companies out there I thought after speaking to the UK section.

Banned

They sound a bit friendlier than Blancpain, thanks for that very informative post I will certainly go and vue a pre-owned one with more confidence.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    They sound a bit friendlier than Blancpain, thanks for that very informative post I will certainly go and vue a pre-owned one with more confidence.
    No problem - looking forward to seeing an 'incoming' thread shortly....watch this space....I may even just post one myself this week ;)

Master
    I sold my DSSD and kept the AP ROO Diver which is WAAAAAAAY more comfortable on the wrist than the DSSD on rubber, leather or stainless steel!

Comparing both by wearing one on each wrist showed me just how unwieldy and top-heavy the DSSD was.

IMHO.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post

I'm a bit confused by that advert. Reckons that the extended warranty is good till 2016, but that's 2 years extended on the warranty from date of waterproofing service, not the extra 1 year. I don't think, but happy to be proven wrong, that it works that way!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    I'm a bit confused by that advert. Reckons that the extended warranty is good till 2016, but that's 2 years extended on the warranty from date of waterproofing service, not the extra 1 year. I don't think, but happy to be proven wrong, that it works that way!
    Well that's my item so I can help :)

It's sold now, however;

Warranty extension is an extra year from when the original warranty ends, regardless of when it gets waterproof service

Jan 2013 model
    Original 24 month warranty until jan 2015
    Waterproof service in jan 2014, which gave another 12 months warranty onto the end of the jan 2015 expiry date = warranty to jan 2016

Hope that helps!

Master
    Well that's my item so I can help :)

It's sold now, however;

Warranty extension is an extra year from when the original warranty ends, regardless of when it gets waterproof service

Jan 2013 model
    Original 24 month warranty until jan 2015
    Waterproof service in jan 2014, which gave another 12 months warranty onto the end of the jan 2015 expiry date = warranty to jan 2016

Hope that helps!
    Thanks! I suppose the only bit that doesn't compute for me is that you can submit the watch for an extension any time during the original 2 year period and still end up with a full 3 years warranty. I was under the impression that it was sent back after 2 years and then they'd extend by one year - up to a maximum of 3 years overall. If you could submit the watch at any time, then they could just have given the 3 year warrantly as standard in the first place!

Master
    AP without question.. Quality brand!!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Thanks! I suppose the only bit that doesn't compute for me is that you can submit the watch for an extension any time during the original 2 year period and still end up with a full 3 years warranty. I was under the impression that it was sent back after 2 years and then they'd extend by one year - up to a maximum of 3 years overall. If you could submit the watch at any time, then they could just have given the 3 year warrantly as standard in the first place!
    I just called AP this morning to clarify, the watch can be sent in at any point within the first 24 months to qualify for the 3rd year. The warranty will then end 3 years from the original date of purchase .

The water test service is a check they would do wih any dive equipment just to make sure fully functioning, they are water sealed from the factory however of they are going to give a 3rd year they want to make sure that the watch is still water tight

Hope that helps clear this up

Master
    Thanks. Hope you didn't think I was being arsey. As an AP ROO owner of 18-ish months it is of interest to me... Cheers!

Journeyman
    +1 for AP from me:)

I bought my AP ROO Diver almost a year ago, fantastic watch, so solid, I love the tapestry dial, and I prefer the simplicity of the dial compared to chrono models.

It wears bigger than it actually is, I swear it's bigger than my Panerai, but it's not. Having tried a DSSD, I found the bracelet a little inadequate compared to the size of the head (that said on the Rubber B looks great).

I was lucky enough to get mine with the AP bracelet, which is an amazing bit of engineering, and I tend to wear it most of the time with this.

Only negative is the bezel is prone to scratches, think someone commented that they wouldn't buy an AP ROO unless it had a ceramic bezel and i understand why now!

Quote Originally Posted by pacchi View Post
    AP by ten thousend million miles.....
    x 10,000

my dream watch

I got mine on Tuesday. The build quality is just amazing.

Craftsman

Both...

;-)

Regards,
    Adam

PS - That stainless steel Diver has since been swapped out for the forged carbon version, but on the bracelet it was a BEAST! I still miss it.

Thanks for the side by side shot!

It helped me make my decision.

Dare I say it, I prefer my DSSD.

Craftsman
    No problem - looking forward to seeing an 'incoming' thread shortly....watch this space....I may even just post one myself this week ;)

I look forward to seeing that;)

Tony

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the side by side shot!

It helped me make my decision.

Dare I say it, I prefer my DSSD.
    My advice would be see one in the flesh first - maybe try selfridges in Manchester centre

My advice would be see one in the flesh first - maybe try selfridges in Manchester centre
    I may well do, when I used to be the menswear manager there they didn't stock Audemars. What do you think the chances of discount would be? Ha.

Seriously the DSSD ticks every box I want in a modern dive watch. The rubber clad crowns put me off the AP.

Master
    I sold my DSSD and kept the AP ROO Diver which is WAAAAAAAY more comfortable on the wrist than the DSSD on rubber, leather or stainless steel!

Comparing both by wearing one on each wrist showed me just how unwieldy and top-heavy the DSSD was.

IMHO.
    Agree Diver better looking and balanced imho.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    +1 for AP from me:)
    Not an AP fan but that is nice!

Journeyman
    I had a couple of Rolex Submariners...thinking of a DeepSea but very big and maybe over engineered? Starting to favour AP as a brand...