closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm far from 50 years old, considering Two Tone Datejust. Bad idea?

Question I'm far from 50 years old, considering Two Tone Datejust. Bad idea?

I'm far from 50 years old. I am currently considering a Two Tone Rolex Datejust.

I know WISers overstate the importance of what watch you wear, but occasionally I need people to take me seriously, for real!

Will a gold steel Datejust look completely crazy on me?

With casual wear and with suit.

Personally I don't mind the "can't afford an all gold watch" talk; my only concern here are to be taken serious.

this is what I found on the net:
    http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forum...-inappropriate
    http://uk.askmen.com/fashion/mens-wa...atch-snob.html

I mean, only a real psycho would wear a two tone? ;-)
    http://blog.luxurybazaar.com/rolex-d...trick-bateman/

What's your thoughts?
    Last edited by youveboughtwhat; 23rd March 2014 at 04:50.

I'd consider a two tone, but I'd most likely tone it down by replacing the bracelet with a leather strap. I've always liked that look and the leather softens the combination of the gold and steel. I may one day try to find an old Thunderbird like this one:

Master
    What's your thoughts?
    Are you a car salesman like Swiss Toni? If not, forget it.

Last edited by J J Carter; 23rd March 2014 at 10:49.

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Are you a car salesman like Swiss Tony? If not, forget it.
    No, not selling cars, or similar.

As isn't this guy.

If you like the look, that's all that matters. I found the original DJ a little too small but the newer one I really like.

Craftsman
    If there`s doubt in your mind, don`t buy it. It`s an expensive mistake to make when it doesn`t grow on you , why not check out all steel Sub or GMT`s.

Craftsman
    I got a steel and yellow Datejust on my 21st birthday, which was *cough* a few years ago. In all the years I've worn it I never got any comments about it being an old persons watch, and frankly would have just laughed at such comments anyway.

Your purchase should not be based on potential perception by others. It should be because you like it and want it.

If being concerned that a bi-metal DJ will associate you with being old or ‘unserious’ then it’s probably not the right watch for you, as your enjoyment of watches comes from the opinions of other people - or rather your concern about their opinion.

FWIW, I’ve had several and SWMBO currently sports a bi-metal OQ.
    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I think the watch you are wearing is going to come way down the list if you are trying to impress someone, but if it's important go for a gold one, if you like the two tone look then go for it life's too short to be bothered about what others think.

Banned
    Ten years too early.

You can't go wrong with a DJ, just avoid diamonds. The two tone is a really nice watch.

Master
    Two tone is something i just do not like. So for me it is a no. Full gold or SS is the way.

If you are in the sort of environment where appearances matter, I'd ensure that the suit, shoes, shirt and tie were prioritised over the watch. A bad shirt with a good watch ... simply doesn't work, as legions of salesmen demonstrate. A proper suit, quality shirt ( not something from the sales at Charles Madeupname ) and decent shoes will always win, regardless of the timepiece.

Fortunately, you can get all the clothes and footwear sorted out for far less than the cost of a two tone Datejust. If you have to have a Rolex, I'd go for steel - the basic Datejust or Airking makes a classier watch, in my opinion, for not trying too hard. But a Speedbird would work as well, assuming the shirt is good. A decent watch drawing attention to a duff shirt is depressing. Might as well put a diamond steering wheel on a Lada. Fooling no one !

Paul

I'm over 50 and wouldn't be seen dead in one, but if you like it... go for it!

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

If you like it buy it. Simple as that.

Who cares what other people think? And that's assuming they think anything.

Grand Master
    You don`t need to be 50+ to like the bicolour Datejust, you just need to have good taste. Far nicer than solid gold IMO.

They've got a bit of an '80s car-dealer' image but I can live with that. The quintessential Rolex in my opinion; whether that's good or bad depends on your point of view.

If buying new (or nearly new) haggle like hell because they drop a lot of value quickly. If buying an older model inspect that bracelet very carefully. Avoid anything with stretched centre links if buying a jubilee.

Best of the modern bunch is the 116203 (oyster bracelet, plain bezel) IMO.

Paul

Master
    Like others have said if you like it that's all that matters but personally I think they are awful.

If you have to ask, the answer is "Yes".
    Last edited by Chinnock; 23rd March 2014 at 23:40.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

I don't like two tone watches? For me full gold or ss, but the 41mm djII looks good in two tone.

Thought they were vile... until I put one on. Now I would love a two-tone datejust in the proper small (classic) 36mm case. But I would have a polished rather than fluted bezel on a jubilee bracelet with the new concealed clasp.

The only watch of this style that I now like more is (shock-horror) the 18ct yellow day-date (36mm) on president bracelet. Another watch I never thought I would like but I tried one on with a smart shirt and trousers and it looked the bomb.
    If I had a spare £20k I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger, and I tell ya, I wouldn't care what anybody would think of me wearing it. Some say gold is feminine, some say the size is now too small, some say Rolex with precious metals of this sort are 80s yuppie watches, but I couldn't care less. I loved it when I was wearing it. Isn't that all that counts?

I have always liked the TT DJ with champagne stick dial. But when push came to shove I couldn't buy one. I realised that for special occasions I would prefer a YG DD (and a lottery win to pay for it) and for every day SS. The TT is neither on thing nor the other, and however much I might like it, it doesn't fill a particular role in the collection, and couldn't earn it's keep.

Craftsman
    I'd suggest putting it on a leather strap to offset the 'bling' factor.
    You can dress it up on a smart crocodile strap or dress it down with distressed leather.
    Go for it. It's a Rolex, so you can easily flip it if it doesn't work out.

They were the watch to have in the '80s, really wanted one back then when I was young and cash was tight...

To the OP
    You seem to know the answer already by the way you asked the question .

Say NO to bi-metal !!!!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Le samourai View Post
    You can't go wrong with a DJ, just avoid diamonds. The two tone is a really nice watch.
    +1....much as I like the TT Datejust, diamonds are an absolute no-no.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I'm over 50 and wouldn't be seen dead in one, but if you like it... go for it!

M.
    Yep, what he said for me too...

Simon

Master
    Fashion police drive me bonkers! Wear what you like. We are all individuals. The only time I want to be in a box is when I'm done!

Mike

Craftsman
    Personally I think two tone are very nice watches! Full gold is way too flashy and SS is too plain. I'd say go for it!

Got mine for my 18th.

Definitely not an old man's watch.

Rejected the steel Daytona because it didn't look like a Rolex.

Still don't regret my decision, but of course the steel Daytona I knocked back is now a £25k watch...

;-)

I bought a bi-metal Datejust in my 20's and wore it for nearly 30 years.
    For me it was just a watch at the time. I don't have it now, and wouldn't have another.
    My interest in watches has grown a lot since selling that one.
    I have gone completely off of two tones..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by youveboughtwhat View Post
    I know WISers overstate the importance of what watch you wear, but occasionally I need people to take me seriously, for real!
    [...]
    What's your thoughts?
    If you like it, buy it. Your feeling about yourself, self-confidence and general attitude will almost certainly have far more influence on the person you meet than the watch you are wearing, in and of itself. Feel good about yourself and you'll be taken seriously.

That said, it also depends to an extent on your line of work and location. From what I can tell watch choice is perceived as important in some fields and in some countries. If that applies to you then I would have thought that Rolex is rarely a bad choice. But ultimately, as above, choose a watch that makes you feel good: That will have the best positive effect on your confidence and thus perceived seriousness.

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Fashion police drive me bonkers! Wear what you like. We are all individuals. The only time I want to be in a box is when I'm done!

Mike

The best comment I have seen for a long time and stolen if you don't mind .

OP what he said

Banned
    Wear whatever makes you feel good. People wont actually take you more or less seriously because of your watch. It's more about how you hold yourself. If you're feeling genuinely confident then people will generally react positively.

Banned
    Get a Mickey Mouse Rolex

Quote Originally Posted by SlimJim16v View Post
    Get a Mickey Mouse Rolex
    I couldn't find any two tone Mickey Rolexes (doing a quick search), but some "inspired" ones.

Thank you for your comments! All appreciated!

The Omega AT TT looks pretty good too!

imgsource
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/not...ge-796853.html

Not a bad idea at all, IMHO. I like two tone watches in general. The DJ looks great! But it also depends on the combination. If you choose the one with the yellow/gold dial, this is for people over 60, not 50, IMHO.

I like two tone and always have done.

Over the past couple of years I have also found myself more and more drawn to solid gold watches and now have a few including an AP RO on bracelet and a Rolex DayDate on President. Picked up a lovely 18k Speedmaster a couple of weeks back also. I think I like the weight of gold, as titanium watches have never appealed (I've only got one - a Perrelet Turbine). Most of my watches are SS though.

I'm in my very early 40's, so not completely over the hill yet.

That said, I'm wearing my vintage 5513 today, as I do most days...
    Last edited by TheFlyingBanana; 24th March 2014 at 11:08.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kister View Post
    I don't like two tone watches? For me full gold or ss, but the 41mm djII looks good in two tone.
    It depends on how big your wrists are. I had a DJ II, but sold it because it just looked stupidly big on me, and in my eyes there is nothing that looks more daft then an enormous dress watch worn with a dinner suit. The original 36mm Datejust works fine for me though.

No, not selling cars, or similar.

As isn't this guy.

Same pose as Swiss Toni though

M.

Journeyman
    I think the TT Datejust with the Linen Dial is a classic....80's or not.

Craftsman
    I know a lot about style. I can say without hesitation that two tone watches have now obtained classic status and will forever more be stylish. You can wear with confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    I know a lot about style. I can say without hesitation that two tone watches have now obtained classic status and will forever more be stylish. You can wear with confidence.

"I can't afford a Rolex so I bought this instead..."

;-)

Master
    What's not to like?

I was an avid "avoider" of two tone (watches and record label) until I discovered the IWC ingie chronometer. Steel band and case, gold bezel, white face with gold baton hour markers, gold crown.

Tilt light on and game over. That is before I start to wax lyrical about the movement.

Otherwise, NO.

It is a common misconception that two tone is an age thing. Some looks are easy to carry off - like. a SS Sub. Never looks out of place on any one. Certain looks like a two tone watch need pizzazz and confidence to pull off. But, it can be done. Dont get bogged down by nay sayers who are too dull and predictable in their thinking and taste and lacking in confidence. If you like it, go for it.

Thank you for your comments! All appreciated! The Omega AT TT looks pretty good too! imgsource http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/not...ge-796853.html
    That looks stunning and better than all gold!

Normally I'm a magpie to a bit of bling but the two-tone datejust look was what put me off Rolex as a kid. My godfather had one and he was a bit weird.

Just saying

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    No doubt about that

M