closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Everest Rotorectomy

Everest Rotorectomy

I love the watch but can't stand the noisy Miyota rotor - so off it came! Not sure on the reserve but I'm happy to have this as a now near silent hand winding and hacking watch. With no date to set it's still a great pick up and go watch.

Am I alone in undertaking this reversible procedure:-)

Edit: please don't do this! Handwinding on a daily basis will damage the movement over time.
    Last edited by mrwozza70; 13th April 2014 at 20:43.

I would imagine so.

Master
    I always found the whirring to be part of the charm of my old Everest

Oh, I never thought of that. I find the whirring a bit too loud for my taste....
    How did you do it?
    Any pics?

It is literally unscrew case back, then three small screws to remove rotor. All completely reversible and you simply hand wind 40-50 times - or there abouts does it for me. You can't over wind remember as it is an auto:-)

Bag of spanners stored safely with three screws for future reinstatement.

Silence like on top of Everest on a still day!

Read a few threads about damage being done to autos by winding manually. Any thought as to whether there might be any truth in that our just Internet rumour

Quote Originally Posted by farquare View Post
    Read a few threads about damage being done to autos by winding manually. Any thought as to whether there might be any truth in that our just Internet rumour
    No problem if you remove all auto wind mechanism. If you leave transmission wheel and pawl lever they will wear when hand winding.

Big problem on a watch that's worn perhaps once per week would you suggest?

Then why do they make auto movements with hand winding mechanism I wonder? If you wear the watch in a large rotation neither the locking crown or auto mechanism should be more of a concern than it would otherwise have been. Granted if it's a daily wearer you would do less of both actions leaving it fully auto.

Personally although I love everything else about the Everest I would have to change the movement to an ETA or something to rid me of the tinkling noise. It seems noisier in this case than in others (Raven) that I have owned for some reason. More space around movement perhaps amplifies things...

I'm with you, probably scaremongering as you say.

We are all different thank goodness but I love the mechanical sounds I hear from automatic watches. Its somehow reassures me that men made these things, not computers...

Grand Master
    Definitely not just an internet rumour. Some movements stand up to regular hand-winding without problems, but a lot don`t like being hand-wound and this accentuates wear on the auto-winding winding mechanism, with the reversers spinning far faster than they want to. On some movements the winding parts (sliding pinion and winding pinion simply aren`t robust enough to stand the wear; the ETA 2824 is a case in point and this one also suffers wear to the case if it's hand-wound frequently over a period of years. I`ve worked on a couple like this over the past few months.

Frankly, I think the OP's logic on this is crazy.

Paul

Craftsman

Rotor Off

Designed with a rotor - KEEP a rotor.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Definitely not just an internet rumour. Some movements stand up to regular hand-winding without problems, but a lot don`t like being hand-wound and this accentuates wear on the auto-winding winding mechanism, with the reversers spinning far faster than they want to. On some movements the winding parts (sliding pinion and winding pinion simply aren`t robust enough to stand the wear; the ETA 2824 is a case in point and this one also suffers wear to the case if it's hand-wound frequently over a period of years. I`ve worked on a couple like this over the past few months.

Frankly, I think the OP's logic on this is crazy.

Paul
    I didn't know that about the 2824 Paul. I'll make sure to stop handwinding my Speedbird III. I've been giving it a few turns every time I bring it back into rotation.

Designed with a hand wind - so use the hand wind!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwozza70 View Post
    Designed with a hand wind - so use the hand wind!
    That's like saying your car has a clutch, so why not hold it on the clutch at traffic lights on hills.

A few winds to get the watch going doesn`t do any harm, but hand-winding on a daily bases over a period of years will. My own experiences are based on fact......I had to give the owners the bad news and the bill.

I have a large collection of mainly automatics; I give them around 10 winds fairly slowly to get them going, then wear as normal.

Paul

I take your point on board. My flippant reply was just that...

I hope nobody reads this and follows my lead. I only wear the watch once a fortnight on average so I guess that isn't excessive hand winding. I do it very carefully for about 20 turns at most. I wish the miyota rotor was less noisy in this watch that's all. It's a real nice watch for little money so would be a shame to part with it over such a small issue.

The "noisy" rotor of my Everest and the "wobble" of the rotor in my Damasko DC56 are part of the charm and character of these watches. To remove either would detract from them.
    F.T.F.A.

I'm another who actually likes a little bit of noise from a rotor. Not a harsh grinding of course, just a gentle reminder of how the thing is working; clever mechanics powered by me, not your electronic trickery.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I'm another who actually likes a little bit of noise from a rotor. Not a harsh grinding of course, just a gentle reminder of how the thing is working; clever mechanics powered by me, not your electronic trickery.
    Now you come to mention, I think I like hearing the noise (quietly, but there) too. An automatic watch where I can't hear the rotor somehow feels a little odd.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post

The "noisy" rotor of my Everest and the "wobble" of the rotor in my Damasko DC56 are part of the charm and character of these watches. To remove either would detract from them.
    I agree. When I first unpacked my Everest I was shocked at the noise it made and actually thought that there was something wrong inside. After being reassured by numerous forum posts that this was in fact quite normal, I found that the whirring became a satisfying part of the experience of owning and wearing this beautiful timepiece. I enjoy giving the watch a quick spin on my wrist and listening to the life within, and it would feel wrong and out of character if it fell silent.