closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Air King and Oyster Perpetual questions

Rolex Air King and Oyster Perpetual questions

I've recently become interested in possibly getting one of these watches after seeing the sunburst blue dial on an Air King. The current Air King is 34mm and the similar Oyster Perpetual is 36mm, like a DateJust but without the date.

I know most people think these sizes are too small etc but for me they fit perfectly. I tried on various models in an AD yesterday and am particularly keen on the 116000 Oyster Perpetual with blue 3-6-9 dial shown below.

The Air King 114200 with blue dial (below) is very similar but 34mm instead of 36mm.

There are some other models with orange numerals, but I think they may be discontinued. It's hard to find out much about these models, probably because they're not as popular as the usual sports/Datejust models.

Does anyone know whether these orange number dials are discontinued or not? I'm probably looking to get the blue dial anyway but I'd like to see these other models up close if possible too.

the will be available somewhere, that's for sure. check watchrecon to see internationally and im sure someone on here will have an idea where to check on the AD front (pretty sure your AD could track one down) my personal opinion would be to go for the blue dial air king 114200, stunning watch and 34mm who cares, look at it. I wore my old airking every chance I got and on the bracelet it was fine for me on my 8" hocks.

I know everyone like the sub's and gmt's but for me, these like beauties are where Rolex shine rattling links and all.

Grand Master
    Strongly advise the 3-6-9 blue dial. I owned one on an older Air King and it was v. nice.

Either the 34mm Air King or the 36mm 116000 would be good choices IMO. I share the OP's enthusiasm for smaller watches, most of my collection are 34mm or 36mm.

My choice would be the 116000.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    I know most people think these sizes are too small etc but for me they fit perfectly. I tried on various models in an AD yesterday and am particularly keen on the 116000 Oyster Perpetual with blue 3-6-9 dial shown below.
    I have that very watch and I love it.

Looks classic, perfect size for a dressier watch.

Much prefer it to those with the orange numbers, which IMHO are too busy and will look just dated before too long (although they may be retro cool in about 25 years).

hmm....

I bought 2 Air Kings, the blue one 3-6-9 in your picture and an older one with a purple grey dial

One was a gift to my mum and one a gift to my wife

Sorry, I am not sure id an AK or DJ fits a guy, perhaps if he has 6'' wrists....

Quote Originally Posted by pacchi View Post
    hmm....

I bought 2 Air Kings, the blue one 3-6-9 in your picture and an older one with a purple grey dial

Sorry, I am not sure id an AK or DJ fits a guy, perhaps if he has 6'' wrists....
    ...Which I do!

what size is your wrist?

Ive found the date at 34mm quite small (i have 6.5 inch wrists and dont wear anything over 42mm) , Its considered a ladies watch.

Master
    I've got the OP116000 with black dial 3 - 6 - 9 and I love it. I prefer smaller watches too, although the new case design on these is quite chunky and wears bigger than 36mm IMO. I've had it over three years now and haven't bought anything (much!) else since - it's become my 'every watch'.

N

Master
    The blue AirKing 3-6-9 is very very nice IMO. It wears bigger than 34mm as well. I'd happily wear that.

Quote Originally Posted by pacchi View Post
    hmm....

...Which I do!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    what size is your wrist?

Ive found the date at 34mm quite small (i have 6.5 inch wrists and dont wear anything over 42mm) , Its considered a ladies watch.
    As you can see from the last two posts my wrist is 6". I think it's only considered a ladies watch (or boys watch more commonly?) by men who only wear big watches at 40mm+, so it flies under their radar. Big watches are a fashion/cultural phenomenon - don't forget all watches used to be small.

I don't think this is a thread for people who think it's too small for them, it's a well known commonly held view that doesn't really need airing again. Obviously I like them or I wouldn't have started the thread.

I'm 5'7" tall, weigh 10st and have 6" wrists. After trying on some 34-36mm watches in the Rolex AD yesterday I think they fit very well and look the right size. I sometimes think my SubC is on the large size for me but the Air King and Oyster Perpetual 36mm look right, more discreet.

I also don't think the watches mentioned in the OP would suit women very well as they're of a masculine design.
    Last edited by Nagraboy; 19th March 2014 at 17:49.

I think the blue dial air-king is lovely. Annoyingly I'm 6'2" and 16 stone with 8" wrists or I would buy one! - I think the case and dial on these is somehow much better balanced than the larger datejusts which just look a bit 'swatch irony range' to me. Being tall and heavy isn't necessarily a good thing!

Craftsman
    Ive posted this pic before but it is a great watch!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I think the blue dial air-king is lovely. Annoyingly I'm 6'2" and 16 stone with 8" wrists or I would buy one! - I think the case and dial on these is somehow much better balanced than the larger datejusts which just look a bit 'swatch irony range' to me. Being tall and heavy isn't necessarily a good thing!
    I disagree, as it goes...

That's my 1955 Airking, I'm 6'2 and 18 stone with a wrist of about 7 3/4 inches, which could go 8 on a fat day. I have loads of watches this size

That's my 1962 Oysterdate and to prove it's not just posh watches...

That's a 1952 Bulova.

Sure, I wouldn't wear them with a polo shirt, but Nader a sleeve, 34mm just doesn't feel too small, n fact it's a very comfortable size, even for a man-size man :)

As you can see from the last two posts my wrist is 6". I think it's only considered a ladies watch (or boys watch more commonly?) by men who only wear big watches at 40mm+, so it flies under their radar. Big watches are a fashion/cultural phenomenon - don't forget all watches used to be small. I don't think this is a thread for people who think it's too small for them, it's a well known commonly held view that doesn't really need airing again. Obviously I like them or I wouldn't have started the thread. I'm 5'7" tall, weigh 10st and have 6" wrists. After trying on some 34-36mm watches in the Rolex AD yesterday I think they fit very well and look the right size. I sometimes think my SubC is on the large size for me but the Air King and Oyster Perpetual 36mm look right, more discreet. I also don't think the watches mentioned in the OP would suit women very well as they're of a masculine design.
    Absolutely. They are both in themselves perfectly well proportioned watches and thankfully Rolex, Omega and others still offer a choice of sizes. Enough of this lady's watch nonsense.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger Plus View Post
    ... Enough of this lady's watch nonsense.
    Exactly.

Master
    As I've said elsewhere, I have what I assume is a standard wrist, because it takes a Rolex Sub/Explorer II/GMT without removing a link and with the micro-adjustment bang in the middle. Recently, I bought the 34mm Air-King below for a friend and he nearly didn't get it, because, when I tried it on, it was just so ... good. In many ways, Rolex at its best.

Craftsman
    Nothing wrong with 34mm watches. I've been eyeing up a blue dial Air King for some time too.

I was gifted a 34mm Air King as a wedding present. The size just works. I have small wrists but it's the perfect watch to wear with a suit and shirt on formal occasions. Slides under the shirt cuff without a problem and the blue dial is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavaine View Post
    Some really nice "small" watches in this thread. After my recent acquisition of a midsize SMP, I've decided that I rather like watches on the smaller size (but I'm not going to sell my Speedy either). Are the Air King and OP with 3-6-9 dials priced similarly, and do they both hold their value the same? A quick look on watchrecon.com suggests that they can be purchased for less than a similar 36mm Explorer.
    RRP is £3350 for the Air King and £3600 for the Oyster Perpetual.

Cheaper pre-owned than the Explorer I, but then that is a far more popular, hyped watch.

One thing to note is that the 3-6-9 numerals on the OP have lume, whereas the Air King does not. I think the solid metal numerals on the Air King actually look better, but the 36mm OP may be my final choice. I need to have a good look at them side by side to compare case and lug shape.

Journeyman
    The 3-6-9 OP in blue would be my choice they are lovely.

I have 7.25" wrists and have realised that I hate wearing large watches mainly thanks to my 34mm Oysterdate. It is a joy to wear this size of watch as you just do not realise that they are their most of the time. If you catch site of them in the mirror they look really good and well balanced. I have a 36mm Datejust and a 37mm Seiko and that is it.

Craftsman
    I would also go for the Oyster Perpetual 116000 with blue 3-6-9 dial.

A lovely watch indeed!

Master
    Even with 6.5" wrists I find 34mm is often just a bit on the small side - by no means unwearable, but you have to wearing the right clothes for it to work, whereas 36mm is very versatile, in fact spot on. For me this size is a lot more faithful to the original look and idea of these watches, and very much preferable to some of the bloated modern efforts. The only issue is that I usually find vintage baton dialed versions have more charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Even with 6.5" wrists I find 34mm is often just a bit on the small side - by no means unwearable, but you have to wearing the right clothes for it to work, whereas 36mm is very versatile, in fact spot on. For me this size is a lot more faithful to the original look and idea of these watches, and very much preferable to some of the bloated modern efforts. The only issue is that I usually find vintage baton dialed versions have more charm.
    I love the Air Kings but when I tried one on at an AD they were underwhelming on my 7 inch wrist. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, though 36mm may be the sweet spot for me.

What sort of discount do you reckon would be achievable on a 116000 Oyster Perpetual? My local AD has just got one in for me and I'm wondering about buying it today if I like it...

Any informed opinion would be much appreciated.

What sort of discount do you reckon would be achievable on a 116000 Oyster Perpetual? My local AD has just got one in for me and I'm wondering about buying it today if I like it...

Any informed opinion would be much appreciated.
    I was politely refused a discount on an Air King recently so I'm not sure how you'd get on with a 116000. If you are prepared to wait a little for delivery, good discounts are available from 'grey' dealers such as Iconicwatches. Watches are sourced brand new from Rolex ADs throughout the world and come with the usual Manufacturer's guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I was politely refused a discount on an Air King recently so I'm not sure how you'd get on with a 116000. If you are prepared to wait a little for delivery, good discounts are available from 'grey' dealers such as Iconicwatches. Watches are sourced brand new from Rolex ADs throughout the world and come with the usual Manufacturer's guarantee.
    That's a shame, I thought it was only steel sports that they wouldn't discount. Although on another thread people are surprised that others are paying RRP at all.

I don't know what to make of it.

That's a shame, I thought it was only steel sports that they wouldn't discount. Although on another thread people are surprised that others are paying RRP at all.

I don't know what to make of it.
    Well in any event, ask the question! Others may have had much more success than me and to be fair it was during a time when they were offering 0% over 4 years so they were even less inclined to discount. I have heard that some have managed a discount on non sports models. Good luck!

Got the 116000, but no discount!

And here it is...

Just a quick iPhone pic after getting home with my new 116000 Oyster Perpetual. Asked about a discount but they said 'not on steel Rolex sir!'. Oh well, it was a pleasant time spent in the AD and I left wearing this great new watch! Very happy.

Thanks for everyone's input in helping me make the choice. I'll post some better pics in a new thread tomorrow perhaps.

Craftsman
    Very nice Nagra, enjoy in good health

Master
    Very nice blue. Lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post
    Very nice Nagra, enjoy in good health
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    Very nice blue. Lovely.
    Cheers chaps. I tried on some jubilee Datejusts again today - both steel and two-tone - but that blue dial, smooth bezel and oyster bracelet were irresistible

Looks great doesn't it?

bravo sir im sure it will quickly become a firm favourite.

Blog Entries
    Ooo lovely, that blue dial is stunning.

Good choice a classic Rolex with a lot of history, looks just right on your wrist.

Journeyman
    For me that is the best looking Rolex available.
    Well done

Craftsman
    Well done Sir.

i read this thread when it first started but got sidetracked and didn't get to comment.
    I have the white dial version of your choice. Believe me it is a real favourite and you won't regret buying your Air King.

Enjoy your new 'precious'

Lovely looking watch. Nice size. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Plus View Post
    Looks great doesn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by deerworrier View Post
    bravo sir im sure it will quickly become a firm favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Ooo lovely, that blue dial is stunning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin123 View Post
    Good choice a classic Rolex with a lot of history, looks just right on your wrist.
    Quote Originally Posted by jp-t853 View Post
    For me that is the best looking Rolex available.
    Well done
    Quote Originally Posted by barreti View Post
    Well done Sir.

i read this thread when it first started but got sidetracked and didn't get to comment.
    I have the white dial version of your choice. Believe me it is a real favourite and you won't regret buying your Air King.

Enjoy your new 'precious'
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Lovely looking watch. Nice size. Well done!
    Thanks again for the nice comments. Haven't taken it off since I left the AD! Can't take my eyes off the stunning blue sunburst dial!

PS. barreti - I went for the 116000 Oyster Perpetual rather than the 142000 Air King in the end. Similar watches but mine is 36mm against the 34mm Air King. Also the 3-6-9 on mine are lumed, the Air King are solid metal. Both look amazing in person though.

Very nice.

The 115200 with a blue dial , the oyster date which is 34mm is a stunning watch.Just sad its a little too small at 34mm and the datejust variation at 36mm doesnt have the same dial.

Craftsman
    After reading this thread last week, I managed to find a 116000 at the weekend and try it on. I am hooked! I was worried that it would feel significantly smaller than my Sub, but it really doesn't.

Well done with the purchase!