closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basel - The Deepsea Rumour

Grand Master

Basel - The Deepsea Rumour

If this turns out to be a reality then the Deepsea will be the shortest production of any Steel Sports and regardless of what anyone thinks of it the price of them will go mental

http://rolexpassionreport.com/14294/...x-news-rumors/

Lets wait and see but it has legs!
    RIAC

If definitely prefer that to the DSSD! Still might be time to add a DSSD to the collection.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Being a DSSD newborn myself this weekend, that sounds good to me.

Master
    MkI vs MkII dial chat etc!

I hope they make that, as it looks ace and as you say the DSSD will have been a good 'investment'.

Think there will be a blue tudor sub 200m also...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Surely if it is withdrawn it will be because its run its course. One of the contributors reference to it being akin to a hockey puck is amusingly accurate.

Not sure i'd hold my breath waiting for it to become 'valuable' either, too many already exist in comparison to genuinely coveted pieces.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    Surely if it is withdrawn it will be because its run its course. One of the contributors reference to it being akin to a hockey puck is amusingly accurate.

Not sure i'd hold my breath waiting for it to become 'valuable' either, too many already exist in comparison to genuinely coveted pieces.
    The MilSub ran its course and was dropped in favour of better options. We all know how it works with aspirational brands like Rolex
    RIAC

Master

Genuinely coveted ones largely rely on the lack of servicing? I.e. Original dials etc? DRSD/Red subs/milgauss/exp dial sub. Walters aside .

Rolex collector value chat is bat shit crazy so short production run must equal hype in x No. years to come?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Genuinely coveted ones largely rely on the lack of servicing? I.e. Original dials etc? DRSD/Red subs/milgauss/exp dial sub. Walters aside .

Rolex collector value chat is bat shit crazy so short production run must equal hype in x No. years to come?
    And lets not disregard that it is over engineered and built to perfection with near flawless performance (Unlike some we could mention) so people know they have a winning formula
    RIAC

If fact, good news:-
    1) For DSSD owners
    2) For those that want a nice looking, well proportioned alternative to the Sub.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Grand Master
    But its probably just a silly rumour !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    And lets not disregard that it is over engineered and built to perfection with near flawless performance (Unlike some we could mention) so people know they have a winning formula

Haters gonna hate but as you say it's essentially the balls (paraphrasing). :)

In a stand alone rolex line up it has significant details that set it apart over and above the specification.

EDIT: I really need to stop beating the DSSD drum. I blame inhibriation.
    Last edited by BigD; 15th March 2014 at 23:18.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Goodness, to think i'm regarded as a blinkered fanboy!

OP you've flip-flopped between Rolex and Panerai as long as you've been here as best I recall. Once upon a time you only had eyes for Panerai waxed lyrical about them and sold your DSSD iirc.

Oh well, possibly to my detriment, but i have at least been consistent in my approach.

Grand Master
    Goodness, to think i'm regarded as a blinkered fanboy!

OP you've flip-flopped between Rolex and Panerai as long as you've been here as best I recall. Once upon a time you only had eyes for Panerai waxed lyrical about them and sold your DSSD iirc.

Oh well, possibly to my detriment, but i have at least been consistent in my approach.
    Random, I havent said a word about fanboys or your approach! Ive had numerous Panerai, nice watches, very nice watches as are Rolex and many many other brands but its just a watch not my entire life it ticks it stops (well it doesnt anymore as I chose the reliable ones!) but you get my drift.

And to set your record straight I started with a love for Omega, then Rolex, tried Panerai and a few others but have always returned to Omega and Rolex as a brand not because they are any better than any other but because I like them and that.......is all that matters
    RIAC

Master
    The DSSD to me is the best Rolex. It's over-engineered which is mostly the point. For me, it wears better than the 16600 SD and the 116610LN sub so I've been super happy. The adjustment of the clasp is much better than the SubC as well as it's easily accessible.

I can see reasoning for this move by Rolex as finally, watches are going back to normal sizes, but would I prefer a smaller version of the DSSD? Probably not tbh. I only have a 6.75" wrist and the deep sea wears fine, so a smaller SD doesn't make an awful lot of sense unless it's your everyday watch and you want a sub equivalent with more bragging rights to it.

It could be seen as the best of both worlds but I'm sure plenty of Rolex collectors have both a SubC and a DSSD because they're just about different enough. I can't see many collectors selling their DSSD to replace it with something much closer to a SubC, without selling the SubC as well. This is evident with the ratio of the 16600s to 16610s as they were so similar as well.

So when are Rolex going to reveal their new watches?

I like the Deepsea because it seems somewhat outlandish, whereas that artist's impression seems quite restrained and sober. If it does happen I'm sure it will sell well though.

That Annual Calendar Day-Date II is really very nice though!

I'm not actually sure they could create a 3900m watch that was any smaller than the current DSSD. Its proportions are there for a reason, plus 216600, sure it would be a 216660!?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Rumour and speculation is generating a lot of opinion, inevitably.

Better to wait and react to facts when known I'd suggest. Oh btw BigD, I'm no hater, I bought one though didn't keep it. I'm a very long way from a hater of anything

Master
    Rumour and speculation is generating a lot of opinion, inevitably.

Better to wait and react to facts when known I'd suggest.
    Not necessarily :-) Forums are meant for debate and chat, rumour-driven or not :-)

Fill your boots chaps........prepare for a movement - but which way?
    Buy one of each maybe....one thing is sure I can hear the truffle hogs a grunting

Master

Rolex

But its probably just a silly rumour !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not so sure Kerry as it would be good business , everybody would then want clamber for a Deepsea as they are being discontinued and then everybody would want the new Sea Dweller including loads of new clientele who thought the Deepsea was too big and who also didnt like the cyclops on the csub date

But then who knows ???

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Not necessarily :-) Forums are meant for debate and chat, rumour-driven or not :-)
    Indeed, that is what happens i appreciate and understand Sometimes though it generates strong opinion bordering on hostility, when at the moment speculation, and principally rumour is all that exists.

What i find slightly bemusing is many here, most even, have, do, or will claim they're only here for the ride, the fun and the indulgence, but the whiff of a possible profit on what may become a discontinued watch has seemingly created excitement in some, or that's how it comes across to me. Far be it from me to be critical which i'm not, just, as i said slightly bemused.

Grand Master
    Regardless of the outcome mine will be going to the grave with me, nice to have satisfaction on a ticking lump of steel and I doubt I would buy a new model if it was a little smaller unless it had no crown lugs
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    Random, I havent said a word about fanboys or your approach! Ive had numerous Panerai, nice watches, very nice watches as are Rolex and many many other brands but its just a watch not my entire life it ticks it stops (well it doesnt anymore as I chose the reliable ones!) but you get my drift.

And to set your record straight I started with a love for Omega, then Rolex, tried Panerai and a few others but have always returned to Omega and Rolex as a brand not because they are any better than any other but because I like them and that.......is all that matters

Referring to fanboys i was simply suggesting you had been a fan of Rolex and Panerai but the latter is not the case any more, which you've become dismissive of now, or that's how it seems?

No record to set straight for me either, i merely said what i have perceived and read you to say. There's no aggression coming from my side, it simply isn't worthy of any, or indeed necessary.

Banned
    Well it's win -win then. My DSSD could go mentalŁŁ$$ but then again a new SD would be a future purchase ,

Unless it's all hype.

Master
    I do like the look of that and if it's 40mm then I'd be seriously tempted. Hope to hear more about this in due course!

The demise of this has been predicted for a long time, when first released it was not very well received and has polarised opinions ever since. The initial price was around Ł4.5 which most thought outrageous with many going at a discount. Just goes to show how things have changed in the pricing of watches across the board in the past 6 years.

Banned
    Never understood the hatred often seen on here for the DSSD.

Rolex, I'm sure, have still sold bucket loads, but it's not seen as a success. Perhaps when their success is based on the sale of millions, anything is up against it?

The model featured in the OP, however, I expect would become exceptionally popular. That said, I'd still like the DSSD to remain in production, as I see a market for both.

More speculation here, thats really all it is.

http://monochrome-watches.com/rolex-...selworld-2014/

Includes Daytona Ceramic, GMT BLRO and SS Sky-Dweller plus funky Milgauss.

Notice this one is touted as Sea-Dwelller, Not Deepsea and is only 1220m depth rating.
    Last edited by paneristi372; 16th March 2014 at 12:39.

Master
    Maybe it is a ploy to sell a few more DSSD. To be honest if you like it buy it. Don't buy it as an investment because it is being discontinued!

I thought the new Sea-Dweller would be out for the 50th anniversary.

The annual calender is a good move, and they should have a platinum Sky-Dweller at some stage.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I thought the new Sea-Dweller would be out for the 50th anniversary
    So would that be 2017? Id love this watch to be made - I honestly think itd be the watch Id want most in the world - if they didn't mess it up.

I think so. 1967 seems to be the date. If they make it, and it's in the right proportions, it could be the last watch I ever buy (well buy new from an AD).
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    I know (or at least I think I know) that Rolex doesn't release their sales figures, but does anyone have an idea of how many DSSD there are out there. Other than the one on my wrist, I can't recall ever having seen one in the wild.

And yes, I admit I would be secretly pleased if Rolex chose to discontinue this model and my DSSD suddenly became highly collectible, even though I have no plans to sell it.:)

Banned
    Well there's 2 in our family me and my son's he has the mark 1 dial and I have the mark II just need a mark III for my youngest.

Grand Master
    Probably all fluff but I would hate to have to try and get one if it goes mental, that said if you havent purchased one yet then clearly you dont want one and buying one becasue they might grow fast is all the wrong reasons
    RIAC

Banned
    Probably all fluff but I would hate to have to try and get one if it goes mental, that said if you havent purchased one yet then clearly you dont want one and buying one becasue they might grow fast is all the wrong reasons
    Very true. I remember when TaiMiShu put her blag one on an orange Nato, the forum went mad and PayPal nearly exploded on the back of all the gullible followers, pressing the buy button.

Grand Master
    Funny, thing is it doesnt work on a NATO, it works beyond perfect on a RubberB infact I think its the no 1 combination of a steel sports on rubber and that opinion is shared by at least one person who is highly credible in the watch world
    RIAC

Funny, thing is it doesnt work on a NATO, it works beyond perfect on a RubberB infact I think its the no 1 combination of a steel sports on rubber and that opinion is shared by at least one person who is highly credible in the watch world
    I remember you showed me how the RubberB strap extends over the lugs which changes the proportions in a good way. Looked so good on that strap.

I still want a DSSD, but the 6" wrist just isn't buying it!

Every year in the weeks prior to Basel it's the same blah blah blah-
    has anyone ever predicted correctly?
    Did anyone foresee a black/blue bezel GMT etc etc last year?
    I suppose it's something to talk about. or not.

Master

Basel - The Deepsea Rumour

I like it, just don't call it a "Deepsea" as there is one of those already. Rolex would be silly not to.....hype or not it would sell.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    Every year in the weeks prior to Basel it's the same blah blah blah-
    has anyone ever predicted correctly?
    Did anyone foresee a black/blue bezel GMT etc etc last year?
    I suppose it's something to talk about. or not.
    This.

All he's doing is generate some easy traffic to his website... notice the "market" section on the right...

The only thing he may have gotten right is this "The Cellini line is overdue since some years so I could imagine a all new Prince design going retro."

Master
    Looks really nice - I’m surprised they went with “Deepsea” on the dial though.

Are there any previous occasions where Rolex have removed a watch from production after such a short time and replaced with a newer version with the same functionality? I'd be very surprised if this happens.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Are there any previous occasions where Rolex have removed a watch from production after such a short time and replaced with a newer version with the same functionality? I'd be very surprised if this happens.
    +1. They're generally not one to do u-turns.

Master
    Also interested in how this story pans out.

I've never tried a DSSD on...they seem to look gimungous :)

A converted hater (*rolls eyes*) I was never that keen on SD (or Rolex tbh)...right up until I got my '666. This watch is certainly my week-day daily and I am very fond of it. A smaller DSSD could be a tempter for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomw2000 View Post
    Also interested in how this story pans out.

I've never tried a DSSD on...they seem to look gimungous :)

A converted hater (*rolls eyes*) I was never that keen on SD (or Rolex tbh)...right up until I got my '666. This watch is certainly my week-day daily and I am very fond of it. A smaller DSSD could be a tempter for me.
    Well get yourself down to Goldsmiths and try one, on the bracelet they are a heavy brute... but on a Rubber B they are the dogs do dahs.
    The only Rolex I would buy, simply outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I believe the 16610 LV only ran for 7 years. 2003-2010.

The DSSD had a production run of 6 years +. The 16550 production run was much shorter as was the variants like the 1665 DS Rail - which only lasted 12 months.

This plus the fact that Rolex sold millions of them, would not suggest to me that they will be particular valuable in the years to come. Especially considering that for the same price one could have got a Red 1680, or a 16550 or even a tripple 6 (which were only made for about 6 years, but split between the matt and glossy dials)

The idea of a new SD which is thinner and more proportional does sound very attractive .

Quote of the day

The deepsea, if discontinued, would not increase in price for some time. Partially because of the tens of thousands sold, and partly because it looks like a hockey puck tied to a piece of string.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I am sure there is room in the line up for both the DSSD and a revived SD. I dont see that one has to replace the other.

If it were my decision, that's the option I'd take.

... Then I'd get rid of those stupid fat lugs on recent models - goppingly, jawdropingly ugly and turn otherwise well proportioned professional tool watches into fashion beasts.
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    I believe the 16610 LV only ran for 7 years. 2003-2010.
    That's true but it's not a completely different watch - just a standard 16610 with the green bezel insert, maxi dial and hands. More of a tweak than a new and different model.