closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Swastikas

Swastikas

I found this article on Swastikas very interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26369329

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Thats really interesting

I wonder if at some point they will loose the negative association - it will be a while I expect

This clown from UKIP said he'd chisel them off the Essex CC building if he could.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    This clown from UKIP said he'd chisel them off the Essex CC building if he could.

Typical cheap posturing by a party desperate for publicity. Surely our politicians should be above this sort of nonsense by now. Whatever next, defacing all Mercedes, BMWs and VWs because of their role in German Armaments during WWII? I truly despair of the modern attention seeking politician...

They were a very common symbol in Europe for centuries, Rene Guenon discussed it in one of the chapters of his book symbolism of the cross.

Interesting reading for sure, thanks for sharing .........

The Finnish Air Forces (one of the earliest air branches) adopted a particular swastika symbol, for good luck in military aviation. It was later changed to comply with WW2 peace treaty terms.

Even today you can witness an example on a Messerschmitt Bf 109 near the entrance of Utti Special Jaeger Regiment.

Given the somewhat complicated position of Finland in WW2, it is understandable that a connection to 30s-40s Germany is expected. However, there is none.

Well at least let him use his teeth instead of a wood chisel and a claw hammer.

Craftsman
    As a Hindu i know we use the Swastika sign in lots of ceremonies ,when i got married i was a little surprised to see how widely used it was .

Master

That picture reminds me of a Hammer and sickle.

I have worked at VW Wolfsberg and the swastikas on the front of the buildings from the original Nazi sculptures have been chiseled off.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I recall well as it surprised me to see it at the time, a number of VW Passats with a clearly stylised SS on the boot lid. I can't pin point the year or car series now but maybe ten years or so back?

Far from good taste imo.

I walked passed the Essex CC building today and used to live in Chelmsford, never knew there are swastikas on that building.

Interesting article, and that so called human being of a UKIP member isn't doing either himself or the party any favours.

Master
    Interesting article, especially to someone of Latvian descent. To the Latvians such symbols are part of their history and it is frustrating when many public figures, usually Euro MPs, show their ignorance by publicly demonstrating their protestations of Nazi horrors with attempts to ban ancient symbols only very recently adopted by the Nazis.

http://www.baltic-crossroads.com/symbols.php

Master
    Im sure this video has something within, re the origins. Its also an interesting watch.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/zeitgeist-the-movie/

It's a Buddhst symbol in Japan. Often seen on maps ( inc. Google maps ) where it just represents a temple.

Paul

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    They were a very common symbol in Europe for centuries, Rene Guenon discussed it in one of the chapters of his book symbolism of the cross.
    It is wáy older than the vedas and an older influx into indo-european culture.
    It being só old explains why it is so widespead and meaning the same everywhere.
    These origins and meaning are the reason why it was adopted by the nazis whom in the frame of the symbol were but a flash in time.

Craftsman
    Any new piece of machinery in India and they will paint some Swastikas on it for good luck.

In Germany if you go to a military antique shop then they have lots of white stickers to hide the Swastikas.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    I recall well as it surprised me to see it at the time, a number of VW Passats with a clearly stylised SS on the boot lid. I can't pin point the year or car series now but maybe ten years or so back?

Far from good taste imo.
    Really? Interesting to see this. Having done 9 yrs for Vw and been to Wolfsburg (sans swastika's!) I'm unaware of such a badge but am very happy to be proved wrong?!

Blog Entries

Far from good taste imo.
    Really? Interesting to see this. Having done 9 yrs for Vw and been to Wolfsburg (sans swastika's!) I'm unaware of such a badge but am very happy to be proved wrong?!

There is actually a very very forced etiquette at VAG to suppress any talk of VW within the 3rd reich as of course the kubelwagen and the original beetle were indirectly attributable to the government of the time, hitlers nazi party....

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
    Typical cheap posturing by a party desperate for publicity. Surely our politicians should be above this sort of nonsense by now. Whatever next, defacing all Mercedes, BMWs and VWs because of their role in German Armaments during WWII? I truly despair of the modern attention seeking politician...
    Stealth, I bet he was looking to display it in his bedroom, before moving it on through Ebay. Right wingers are fascinated by this symbol but sadly it's a bit of a hard sell at the moment, a few years time with the political advances in Eastern Europe may see a revival in its fortunes.

Interesting to see some undertones here. The Allied symbols were and are not universally loved either, for a good reason for some people.

IM(H)O there is very little reason to admire anything to do with war, but very much to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by hako View Post
    Interesting to see some undertones here. The Allied symbols were and are not universally loved either, for a good reason for some people.

IM(H)O there is very little reason to admire anything to do with war, but very much to remember.
    It's all about things being hi-jacked and then people only remember the negative connections. For those who remember, "gay" used to have an entirely different meaning.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Far from good taste imo.
    Says the man with an Officine Panerai logo in his signature. Oh the irony.

I can vaguely recall some years ago reading that the Swastika was used extensively in ancient Rome and that Adolf admired how the Romans vanquished most of the known world back then so decided to use the emblem as he wanted to accomplish the same

Can't remember where the hell I read it though

Ancient Roman Swastika

Have to agree with the Attention greedy politicians statements though!!

John

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Thats really interesting

I wonder if at some point they will loose the negative association - it will be a while I expect
    Probably sooner than our Union Jack (Flag).

Craftsman
    i've seen the Swastika sign on the bonnet and dash board of a 14 plate Audi belonging to my Hindu neighbours today .

Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    Probably sooner than our Union Jack (Flag).
    I remember as a kid going on holiday and one of our group had a pair of Union Flag shorts and people were having a go at him saying "Why are you wearing NF shorts?" Fast forward a decade or so and I worked abroad. I would often see young people in those countries walking about with Union Flag bags, jackets etc, when asked they said they thought the flag looked "Cool"

I am not sure the flag has a negative connotation these days amongst most people in society. The issue with the Swastika is more based upon ignorance most people have about its real history and its unfortunate association with Nazi Germany. The more Nazi Germany becomes simply a point in history the more the Swastikas real origins will be accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by hako View Post
    The Finnish Air Forces (one of the earliest air branches) adopted a particular swastika symbol, for good luck in military aviation. It was later changed to comply with WW2 peace treaty terms.
    Even today you can witness an example on a Messerschmitt Bf 109 near the entrance of Utti Special Jaeger Regiment.
    Given the somewhat complicated position of Finland in WW2, it is understandable that a connection to 30s-40s Germany is expected. However, there is none.
    And we still use the black swastika in the flags of the Finnish Air Commands as well as some medals. If I recall correctly, some years ago German newspaper did an (hysterical) article about our swastika traditions. Symbols are powerful but I wish people would do their homework about the origins of different symbols.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post

There is actually a very very forced etiquette at VAG to suppress any talk of VW within the 3rd reich as of course the kubelwagen and the original beetle were indirectly attributable to the government of the time, hitlers nazi party....

Well my guess at how far back i recalled this was somewhat wide of accurate, this car being circa mid nineties by all accounts, but the double S's have been stylised within the model name which can only have been intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Keke View Post
    And we still use the black swastika in the flags of the Finnish Air Commands as well as some medals. If I recall correctly, some years ago German newspaper did an (hysterical) article about our swastika traditions. Symbols are powerful but I wish people would do their homework about the origins of different symbols.
    Wasn't there a US army division that had the Swastika as it was a Native American symbol. They changed it with the outbreak of WW2.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MerlinShepherd View Post
    Well at least let him use his teeth instead of a wood chisel and a claw hammer.
    Yes, there's only one proper tool in the photo.

Wasn't there a US army division that had the Swastika as it was a Native American symbol. They changed it with the outbreak of WW2.
    Apparently so - until the rise of the Nazi party the 45th Infantry Division used a swastika motif in deference to the large native American tradition in the region they were raised in. After this they went with a Thunderbird emblem, and it actually looks cooler :)

I remember visiting Lalibela in Ethiopia as a teenager and seeing them carved into the 12th and 13th Century rock cut churches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lalibela

There was also a Swastika Laundry company in Dublin before the war apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    Apparently so - until the rise of the Nazi party the 45th Infantry Division used a swastika motif in deference to the large native American tradition in the region they were raised in. After this they went with a Thunderbird emblem, and it actually looks cooler :)
    Interesting, never heard of that bit on info, thanks chaps. Thunderbird emblem does look nicer but how they could choose that emblem, it reminds of Reichsadler !!

For those who are interested, here is a link to wikipage which shows the flag of the Lapland Air Command. Very familiar place to me.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapland_Air_Command

Blog Entries
    Well my guess at how far back i recalled this was somewhat wide of accurate, this car being circa mid nineties by all accounts, but the double S's have been stylised within the model name which can only have been intentional.

I don't think it looks anything like!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Its the fact that the two emotive letters have been, as I said stylised, which required specific effort by someone. I can see similarities but if you can't, fair enough.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffen-SS

Its the fact that the two emotive letters have been, as I said stylised, which required specific effort by someone. I can see similarities but if you can't, fair enough.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffen-SS
    The SS emblem is supposed to be stylised lightning bolts... and the Passat logo just doesn't look like it. It seems people took offence at the idea of the idea of it, but there are any number of people who seem to be professional offence takers - it doesn't mean much to world at large.

I guess it is like the red and white chevron logo of Marlboro which some people see as a capital 'K'. As there are three on a packet it has been said that this proves Philip Morris is a white supremacist company.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Says the man with an Officine Panerai logo in his signature. Oh the irony.

You smoking some herbal substances? Because Panerai supplied watches for war use, you liken them to the SS! Not even tenuously similar.

I'd say you need to be smoking herbal substances to see a double "S" in a car name as a reproduction of the badge of the Schutzstaffel.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I'd say you need to be smoking herbal substances to see a double "S" in a car name as a reproduction of the badge of the Schutzstaffel.

Oh dear why so confrontational and then circumvent your own point too. If you wanted to get into a debate over who supplied what to whom during conflicts, Rolex would be high on that list in WWII. French weaponry inflicted heavy casualties on us during the Falklands war, etc, etc, without having to even remotely dredge up the past, not to mention our own very inglorious history of supplying arms to undesirables because it suited our purposes.

And, did you read my original post? I said the S's were clearly and intentionally stylised, therefore it was in poor taste given the connotation that SS still means to many. I'm not and did not suggest they were the same iconography, and i'm not the only one who thought it questionable at the time that car was in production.

This forum gets harder to be a part of these days, so many people showing hostility from the safety of their keyboard grows ever more tiresome

Blog Entries
    Oh dear why so confrontational and then circumvent your own point too. If you wanted to get into a debate over who supplied what to whom during conflicts, Rolex would be high on that list in WWII. French weaponry inflicted heavy casualties on us during the Falklands war, etc, etc, without having to even remotely dredge up the past, not to mention our own very inglorious history of supplying arms to undesirables because it suited our purposes.

And, did you read my original post? I said the S's were clearly and intentionally stylised, therefore it was in poor taste given the connotation that SS still means to many. I'm not and did not suggest they were the same iconography, and i'm not the only one who thought it questionable at the time that car was in production.

This forum gets harder to be a part of these days, so many people showing hostility from the safety of their keyboard grows ever more tiresome
    Hostility? I cannot see any on here. There is lots of hostility elsewhere on this forum, but certainly none in this very civil debate.

I see disagreement, comedy sarcasm and misinterpretation but no more.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
    Well said sir, well said...