closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Soprod movements...

Master

Soprod movements...

I am looking at the Sinn T2 as a very possible, very near future purchase....

It is very a close battle between an EZM3/T2/SBDC007

I like to research my watches fully beforehand to be able to make an informed decision as possible.

I am interested in knowing more about the Soprod A-10 movement. Particularly since I read that it is used in 'many' high end watches. Would anyone point me towards a few notable names? Also have you ever had a watch with this movement and if so how would you rate it? thanks guys!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The Soprod A 10 is basically an ETA 2892. It is entirely made by Soprod and very well made. Soprod make a few module themselves but also use DD modules. If you see it with a small seconds or Chrono they will be DD modules.
    I don't know about High end watches I have not seen it in High end watches. generally seen in mid range watches.

You will see it in Perrelet a lot, but that is because Perrelet and Soprod are owned by the same group, Festina group of Spain, Miguel Rodriguez.It is getting used more and more.
    Last edited by java; 11th March 2014 at 16:07.

Blog Entries
    As far as I know Bremont also uses soprod movements.

Can't go wrong, they have a history of making fine modified movents and complications for all sorts of (high-end) brands.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    The Soprod A 10 is basically an ETA 2892. It is entirely made by Soprod and very well made. Soprod make a few module themselves but also use DD modules. If you see it with a small seconds or Chrono they will be DD modules.
    I don't know about High end watches I have not seen it in High end watches. generally seen in mid range watches.

You will see it in Perrelet a lot, but that is because Perrelet and Soprod are owned by the same group, Festina group of Spain, Miguel Rodriguez.It is getting used more and more.
    The Soprod A-10 is based on a Seiko calibre.

Seiko Instruments Inc (SII) previously supplied cal. 4L movement via Soprod. Officially Seiko denied it, but some in Seiko Corp unofficially admitted that Soprod A10 ("A" indicates "Altanus", meaning alternative) is based on the Seiko cal. 4L.
    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    The Soprod A-10 is based on a Seiko calibre.

Eddie

Really and which movement in particular?! now thats interesting. I absolutely love Seiko movements. Do you have more info please!?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy13 View Post
    Really and which movement in particular?! now thats interesting. I absolutely love Seiko movements. Do you have more info please!?
    Seeing the layout that doesn't surprise me.

The 4L is a great movement, only used for high(er) end Seiko's.

Eddie, does the Soprod also have the cap jewels, so clearly visible on the Seiko 4L?

Daddel.

Here's the A-10 with a skeletonised rotor so you can see more of the movement.

It doesn't look like a 2892 to me.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Here's the A-10 with a skeletonised rotor so you can see more of the movement.

Eddie
    I stand corrected by your greater knowledge on the subject Eddie. Thanks

Banned
    Blog Entries

Eddie
    That is a Seiko indeed.
    Quite a good pedigree.

Blog Entries
    But comparing it to the 4l/4s means the cap jewels seem to have gone all together.

It would be an extensive reworking of the caliber.

Daddel.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I think it is Soprod's own website which gives rise to the A-10 being called a 2892 clone so often

http://www.soprod.ch/EN/Mecanique.htm

Master
    With a little bit of further research I concluded that though the movement is a direct replacement (size, mounting etc..) for the ETA 2892 it is completely different in design & mechanical execution....or am I wrong?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    With a little bit of further research I concluded that though the movement is a direct replacement (size, mounting etc..) for the ETA 2892 it is completely different in design & mechanical execution....or am I wrong?
    That would seem to be correct when comparing them directly. There are a lot of internet references to the A-10 being a 2892 clone. I think they are derived from this wording on Soprod's web site;
    Mechanical Automatic movement SOP Alternance 10, with Chronofiable® certification, calibrated 2892, available in three versions: • Second on the middle, calendar (basic execution) • Visible balance • Skeleton Additional modules available: • Big date and 2nd GMT with day/night indicator • Power reserve and 2nd GMT • Chronograph module Dubois Dépraz • Small Second module COSC (Official Swiss Chronometer Testing Institute) Certification upon request

Master
    That would seem to be correct when comparing them directly. There are a lot of internet references to the A-10 being a 2892 clone. I think they are derived from this wording on Soprod's web site;
    Mechanical Automatic movement SOP Alternance 10, with Chronofiable® certification, calibrated 2892, available in three versions: • Second on the middle, calendar (basic execution) • Visible balance • Skeleton Additional modules available: • Big date and 2nd GMT with day/night indicator • Power reserve and 2nd GMT • Chronograph module Dubois Dépraz • Small Second module COSC (Official Swiss Chronometer Testing Institute) Certification upon request
    Now thats curious...what on earth do they actually mean by 'Calibrated 2892'??

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Now thats curious...what on earth do they actually mean by 'Calibrated 2892'??
    In the jewellery industry Calibrated would suggest "To fit" So I think they are meaning to suggest that the A-10 will fit in all manner, any situation where a 2892 may currently be used.

However for many the term may be a bit misleading As a result the movement us often referred to as a 2892 clone.

Nevermind.

Master
    In the jewellery industry Calibrated would suggest "To fit" So I think they are meaning to suggest that the A-10 will fit in all manner, any situation where a 2892 may currently be used.

However for many the term may be a bit misleading As a result the movement us often referred to as a 2892 clone.
    Oh ok...now I get it.Thanks...I agree with you as to why it is called a 2892 clone sometimes then

Master
    Thanks for digging that up! That MUST be a Seiko 4L movement! That poster made a great remark about Seiko manufacturing its dimensions to fit exactly like a 2892 to sell ebauches...I'm quite positive that must be the case.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for digging that up! That MUST be a Seiko 4L movement! That poster made a great remark about Seiko manufacturing its dimensions to fit exactly like a 2892 to sell ebauches...I'm quite positive that must be the case.
    Chinese whispers!

This is what he actually said;

"One thing that might help clarify things is whether or not the 4L as used in Credor watches really is the same dimensions as the 2892. If it is, then they probably designed it with the intention of selling ebauches.
    "

It must be noted of course that at least 60% of the movement must be made in Switzerland, in not then it could not be called Swiss made.
    Last edited by java; 14th March 2014 at 10:38.

Chinese whispers!

This is what he actually said;

"One thing that might help clarify things is whether or not the 4L as used in Credor watches really is the same dimensions as the 2892. If it is, then they probably designed it with the intention of selling ebauches.
    "

It must be noted of course that at least 60% of the movement must be made in Switzerland, in not then it could not be called Swiss made.
    Like this one, you mean?

Eddie

Blog Entries
    A Miyota 8215+one jewel

Daddel.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    A Miyota 8215+one jewel

Daddel.
    Yes Daddel but did you know that Swiss jewels are very expensive and can easily constitute as much as 60% of the value

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    A Miyota 8215+one jewel

Daddel.
    Actually, it's a Chinese copy of the Miyota.....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The plot thickens

Blog Entries
    Yes Daddel but did you know that Swiss jewels are very expensive and can easily constitute as much as 60% of the value

Should be worth it though, a must have, those Swiss Jewels...............

Daddel.