closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New seal or just new battery?

Master

New seal or just new battery?

I took my Rado Integral to get a new battery fitted as it's gone flat. I've been quoted £25 for a new battery or £60 for a new battery and re-seal.

Seems a lot just to change the battery, but then it is a nice watch.

So, do I need the re-seal do we think?

Depends...

Master
    If the re-seal includes a pressure test that's about right but seals alone are a couple of quid!

Mike

Journeyman
    To be honest, I think that is a lot of money for a battery and some gaskets. If I were you I'd look for an other watchmaker who can do both things for a reasonable price.

regards,
    Hans

Master
    Based where I am there's no one local, which means investing a morning and some fuel to get it somewhere, or posting it which is a faff in itself. Neither worth it to save £60 (less whatever someone else would charge anyway).

So the decision really comes down to pay the £25 and get a new battery, or pay £60 and get it re-sealed as well. I just don't know whether the extra £35 for the re-seal is worth it, it makes for a very expensive battery change!

I'm not sure what a re-seal means in this context. I've taken the back off G shocks in the past to fit a new battery, carefully repositioned the seal and screwed it back down carefully, job done. I recently bought some of that stuff you dab on the seal to keep it moist (some kind of grease, you need a tiny amount and £5 worth will last you forever)
    I'd be inclined to do the battery change myself, re-seal carefully (all the tools are easily and cheaply available) them maybe pay for a pressure check once you've done it. Just be very careful and go easy but IMHO this is a pretty easy job made to sound difficult. Of course, don't go swimming with such a nice watch without checking WR - but none of the ones I've done have leaked ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I'm not sure what a re-seal means in this context. I've taken the back off G shocks in the past to fit a new battery, carefully repositioned the seal and screwed it back down carefully, job done. I recently bought some of that stuff you dab on the seal to keep it moist (some kind of grease, you need a tiny amount and £5 worth will last you forever)
    I'd be inclined to do the battery change myself, re-seal carefully (all the tools are easily and cheaply available) them maybe pay for a pressure check once you've done it. Just be very careful and go easy but IMHO this is a pretty easy job made to sound difficult. Of course, don't go swimming with such a nice watch without checking WR - but none of the ones I've done have leaked ;-)
    + 1

I have almost usually always done battery replacements myself in the past, as stated the tools can be picked up at a reasonable price and replacement Renata batteries can be picked up for pennies from Amazon.
    I would pick up a small tub of sealing grease (I got mine from Cousins) a small bit on the gasket should do the trick.

Just take your time when opening the caseback as you dont want to damage it in any way with the tools (some can be quite stubborn) and you should be fine.

You can get a pressure carried out locally if really needed but unless you are going to use it for any sort of depths I would suggest that it would be ok without.

If you are really unsure maybe someone like these can help ??

http://www.bablas.co.uk/watch-repairs/rado-watch-repair

I have never used this company and am not affiliated in any way, it was purely a google search :)
    Last edited by clemenry; 10th March 2014 at 15:17.

Banned
    Seems to me they're charging the extra to guarantee water resistance. At least that's what my local guys do. So, that's a few extra pounds, for a guarantee of several hundred if claimed against.

I'd prefer the guarantee and wouldn't spend too much time working out the mpg of my car in order to take it elsewhere.