closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Gear tonight

Blog Entries

Top Gear tonight

hi,none of the best funniest ive seen! hitler and christ on a bike, pure class!
    but....during the news section did you see the guy constantly smiling? scary stuff.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this series. In fact, I have enjoyed most of them and that is why I steer clear of the Top Gear thread on pistonheads as it's just full of moaners, yet they tune in every week (to moan).

Brilliant episode (again).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    hi,none of the best funniest ive seen! hitler and christ on a bike, pure class!
    but....during the news section did you see the guy constantly smiling? scary stuff.
    I noticed him too (behind James May) - Who was he?

z

I saw the smilers and assumed they could see themselves on a monitor some where.

A couple of friends of mine went to the show a while ago and were told that all the good looking people were to stand at the front. They must have been desperately short or he just pushed his way through to be on tv.

Master
    I don't care what anyone says on here I just love it :) pure entertainment.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

z
    He was creepy! After a while I noticed the director concntrated on Jezza and Hammond.

"So is the Porsche 918 any good" asked Hammond.

"No" shouts out Clarkson.

A genuine LOL moments in the AndyG household - even Mrs G laughed.

Alas it just about sums Clarkson's knowledge of cars or worst, his bigotry of all things from Stuttgart.

Hammond is right - game changer, they just need to make them for less than £150k.

9000rpm and those blue exhausts - WOW! Just WOW! I am genuinely in love and that's the first time since I first saw the GT1 and CTR3.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    The blue exhausts were something else.

Journeyman
    The 918 was something else.

Blog Entries
    Even more digs at Piers Morgan too..... brilliant.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

z
    Archie Luxury
    RIAC

Loved the push bike ads...........green or red..........superb.

Agree on the 918 blue exhausts.......awesome........how do they do that!!!???

Hitler and Jesus on bicycles

worth watching just for that

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    Grinner made us laugh
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    "So is the Porsche 918 any good" asked Hammond.

"No" shouts out Clarkson.

A genuine LOL moments in the AndyG household - even Mrs G laughed.

Alas it just about sums Clarkson's knowledge of cars or worst, his bigotry of all things from Stuttgart.

Hammond is right - game changer, they just need to make them for less than £150k.

9000rpm and those blue exhausts - WOW! Just WOW! I am genuinely in love and that's the first time since I first saw the GT1 and CTR3.
    P1 had blue exhaust flames too...

Blog Entries
    It honestly don't think the 918 is a patch on the P1.... I reckon the active aero and Mclaren cleverness will ensure it is ways faster road the track.

I await their test in the summer but as I recall I felt the P1 looked more like a kit car then their F1, which was beautiful.

After a few series where I felt the programme had run its course, this series they do seem to have rediscovered their mojo. The last two episodes were really good imho. And like others, I'll await the match off between the 918 and P1 with interest!

Master
    Im sure there is a Ferrari hybrid in the pipeline and the idea is to get all three on a head to head. Being a cyclist I laughed out loud at the public information films. Chris Boardman's face , priceless !

Master
    "Righteousness is not a guarantee of safety", how very true.

Master
    Looking forward to watching it on the i-Player tomorrow, although BBC Canada showed the episode with James Blunt in it yesterday, which surprised me somewhat - and that is the only bit I've fast forwarded through so far this series

Only saw a bit but did see a guy in crowd that looked worryingly creepy! Oh and the Porsche 918 hybrid...wow!

Master
    I'll buck the trend and say I thought the show (bar the excellent 918 feature) was disappointing, and bordering on boring.

Quote Originally Posted by NickMSM View Post
    I'll buck the trend and say I thought the show (bar the excellent 918 feature) was disappointing, and bordering on boring.
    For me, the film on the cycle stuff was too long by half. Apart from that, enjoyed it.

The staring, grinning guy was weird, but the forty year old woman dressed like a Japanese schoolgirl (or something similar) on the RHS during the first few minutes was just embarrassing. Still, she'll probably get plenty of "pokes" after her appearance.

I thought the show was poor. When they try to be "edgy" (Hitler, MLK, Jesus - couldn't they get a Mother Theresa lookey-likey?), they're like the Goodies reborn (not a good thing, IMHO).

Are the waist height exhausts on that Porsche 918 street legal? I await the first lawsuit for someone getting burned by them.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post

Are the waist height exhausts on that Porsche 918 street legal? I await the first lawsuit for someone getting burned by them.
    I don't know about the legality but I thought they were awesome :o)

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    They are a fair way inboard.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I thought it was the funniest episode for ages, it had me and the nipper laughing out loud. Those cycle ads were superb.

Work harder, buy a car! Classic.

Craftsman
    I liked Aaron Paul's (Jessie Pinkman) lap in the reasonably priced car.
    Was nice and smooth, so looked slow, but was the fastest on the board.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by NickMSM View Post
    Top gear has been on a downward spiral for a few years now. I don't watch it any more but the Indian episode was just dreadful and the one were they criticise Mexico just came across really badly like they were trying to be offensive just for the sake of it.

I've been on Top Gear and if you are asked to stand at the front they ask you to smile and laugh and look like you are enjoying yourself and to laugh at all the jokes

They don't however ask you to stare at one of the Monitors (which are all up high) you can see yourself on and grin non stop like a simpleton

I'm not usually interested in hyper-priced supercars, (even though I drive an E63 AMG) but I have to say that 918 is absolutely gorgeous.

Master
    I thought it was rather frustrating to be honest. They had a VW Golf on a rainy airfield and then one of the most eagerly anticipated hypercars in years on the Yas Marina F1 circuit and they gave the Golf twice as much screen time than the 918. Very disappointing and compounded by the fact that the 918 feature was an excellent bit of filming. And as for R Hammond, the only things he could tell us about the 918 were the stats, it was fast and that it was 4wd but handled a bit like a rwd. Not the best bit of motoring journalism but then I guess that's what should be expected from someone more suited to children's TV... As for the cycling feature, luckily I was watching it on sky+ so I was able to fast forward that bit. I'll still continue to watch it as its pretty good for a bit of light entertainment on a Sunday evening and thankfully we have the likes of Chris Harris and Evo TV to fall back on if we are actually interested in the cars.

Banned
    all wearing the same sort of jackets and now 2 of them have the same shoes as well.

what gets me 2 off them love motorcycle, but are happy to do this for the money with a confessed bike hater.

its just to obviously set up and false nowadays it doesn't ring true.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    They are a fair way inboard.
    I've expressed myself poorly: I don't mean burned by the gases, I mean they are easily reachable by a standing person of restricted height (like Hammond, or a child even) who may not realise that they are exhausts & that they may be hot...
    ______

​Jim.

It's funny how any thread about TG on here instantly draws out squadrons of grumpy sods who still watch it just so they can be even more grumpy.
    I wish I could drive as well as they can, and be allowed to drive some of the very best cars in the world - which mostly they don't break.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    I'm not usually interested in hyper-priced supercars, (even though I drive an E63 AMG) but I have to say that 918 is absolutely gorgeous.
    Indeed, and with a nice bit of Burmester audio to listen to whilst in E-mode for your 18 mile journey.
    Mind you, no idea about how much that adds to the £650K price tag, probably not all that much really.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Indeed, and with a nice bit of Burmester audio to listen to whilst in E-mode for your 18 mile journey.
    Mind you, no idea about how much that adds to the £650K price tag, probably not all that much really.
    £650k is a bit daft... So I don't think I'll buy one after all.

Have a look at the Chris Harris P1 video on PH, its rather good and he has driven both the P1 and 918. They should get him to present on TG.

Apprentice
    When Jezza started doing a review of some hot hatches I thought I'd been teleported about 10 years ago! Well, I was hoping anyway....

It quickly descended into their more modern style of doing something sort of pointless. The 918 was good though, if not a little short.

The mention of what they're doing next week got me excited though!!

Master
    I like the 918. I like the fact that it looks clean and simple even though it's anything but.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB1969 View Post
    P1 had blue exhaust flames too...
    FYI guys, when petrol air mixture is correct, it burns with a blue flame. Ask your grandad! Buy yourself a "Colourtune" and take a look. Orange flame = rich mixture, blue flame = correct!

I still hate Top Gear and the presenters. It's more of a bad comedy than a motoring show - IMHO!

Craftsman
    For me Top Gear is getting a bit stale ,could do with a complete change in direction .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by omega View Post
    For me Top Gear is getting a bit stale ,could do with a complete change in direction .
    I take it this was said in a" broad brum "accent.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    It's funny how any thread about TG on here instantly draws out squadrons of grumpy sods who still watch it just so they can be even more grumpy.
    I wish I could drive as well as they can, and be allowed to drive some of the very best cars in the world - which mostly they don't break.
    I am lead to believe 80% of the vehicles on the show are NOT driven by presenters, Especially the higher value cars, If you watch carefully it is VERY rare you will see then in a moving car from the outside, and all in all filming doesn't look right once told, outside scenery does not match , drivers shirts , Etc.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by fishman307 View Post
    I am lead to believe 80% of the vehicles on the show are NOT driven by presenters, Especially the higher value cars, If you watch carefully it is VERY rare you will see then in a moving car from the outside, and all in all filming doesn't look right once told, outside scenery does not match , drivers shirts , Etc.
    That's very sceptical of you :p

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    FYI guys, when petrol air mixture is correct, it burns with a blue flame. Ask your grandad! Buy yourself a "Colourtune" and take a look. Orange flame = rich mixture, blue flame = correct!
    Yes, but it should be burning in the combustion chamber, not the exhaust.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Rolls Royce flames in exhaust :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggEm-...yer_detailpage

it's nothing new!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I'm going to say for a flame like that shown, it is having a little fuel added directly to the exhaust.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    I'm going to say for a flame like that shown, it is having a little fuel added directly to the exhaust.
    So it's an afterburner? ;-)