closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Couple of classics

Couple of classics

Went a bit mad last weekend and ended up with an Explorer I 214270 39mm and a vintage Speedie 145.022-69.

First up is the 214270 a watch which was not on my radar up until 2 weeks ago when I visited an AD while holidaying in Dubai to try the DSSD. Out of curiosity I tried a 214270 and was quite taken by it. I pondered on whether to buy one over there as the price was a lot cheaper than UK retail or any grey dealer but as I wanted this to be more of a daily wearer I did not want a brand new one as I will just cosset the thing in cotton wool. A deal was done surprisingly quickly after a WTB was answered.

Second up is the Speedie 145.022-69. I have a love/hate for these as I have previously had 3 Speedies (all modern) pass my hands. I love the photos of them and the history that comes with it but on the wrist it didn't do a lot for me but I was willing to give it one more try as I wanted a mechanical chronograph in the collection. Lo and behold literally about 2 hours after agreeing a deal on the 214270 a corker of a vintage Speedie appeared on SC and I just had to give it a go. I was not and still not disappointed. For a 40+ year old watch the condition is rather good, I believe it has not been polished as all the edges are nice and sharp. The step dial just gives it a little something special. If I am being really fussy I wished the tritium markers had aged more a cream color than remain green. I never saw the appeal of vintage watches but I think I am starting to come round. I put the Speedie on and just enjoy it without worrying about it, the soft leather strap makes it really comfortable. With the Explorer I I still treat it with kid gloves.

Craftsman
    Two beauties! Love the strap on the Speedie. Congrats x2

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stelmo01 View Post
    Two beauties! Love the strap on the Speedie. Congrats x2

Agreed and I've just got a Speedy same year same model ,It maybe needs a service and I want one of those straps as it looks killer

Any ideas where you can buy them or suggestions anybody ?

Quote Originally Posted by marksh View Post
    Agreed and I've just got a Speedy same year same model ,It maybe needs a service and I want one of those straps as it looks killer

Any ideas where you can buy them or suggestions anybody ?
    Mark, it looks like a db10. Ask Melhick.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Congrats!!

Have a fair few Rolex now however the Explorer I keeps playing on my mind

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dejjl View Post
    Mark, it looks like a db10. Ask Melhick.

Thank you , will do as it looks great and I'm hoping to Gel with the Speedy as ive had a few mk 2 and 4.5 speedys

Stunning pair. Amazing to think that Speedy is almost half a century old. The dial patination is quite subtle I love it.

Journeyman
    That strap is lovely. Looks very comfortable.

Master
    Chaps

I have just recently purchased a new Explorer1 and it really is something special. It really is a watch you can wear 24/365.

Regards

Mick

Lovely pair (as it were), I regret selling my 36mm Exp and have only recently sold my 145.022, it was a 1985 model and certainly didn't have a stepped dial... I might have kept it if it did!

Enjoy, Speedies can do anything (except get wet!).

Great Pair! The explorer really is beginning to grow on me and that stepped dial on the Speedy is gorgeous!

Congrats!

Fantastic watches. I just sold my 114270 because it did look a little small to me, but this bigger version is just perfect.
    The speed is probably one of the future ones that I'll be looking into when my chrono phase comes back.
    Congratulations

Hi Andy

Cracking example of a Speedmaster - real time warp condition....I am pleased you are still enjoying it !

Nice photo too....

Best - Neil

Quote Originally Posted by rgee View Post

No thank you Neil for providing such a stonking example.

Master
    The Speedy on the strap looks fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Chaps

I have just recently purchased a new Explorer1 and it really is something special. It really is a watch you can wear 24/365.

Regards

Mick
    I've not really been a fan of Rolex to date: the sub doesn't do it for me and the date just seems too fussy. But I'm really starting to see the appeal of the Explorer 1 as a regular wearer. Great with a suit, great with more casual clothes, at home on the beach, etc.
    Definitely high on the list for when I next make a big purchase. Do they do a date version?

Quote Originally Posted by Zigster View Post
    Do they do a date version?
    Noop, if you want a date then you are looking at the Explorer II or Datejust.

Thanks. I do like having a date but more and more of my watches seem to be dateless. I'm sure I'd cope - everything else about the Explorer I is really singing to me. :)

Lovely watch - just need to find the funds to join the OP.

If you need a date but like the look of the Explorer then you could look at the MKII Vantage (if you can find one).

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...s-MKII-Vantage

Apprentice
    I adore that Speedmaster with that strap. Absolutely gorgeous!

Grand Master
    Two classics IMO.

I own a Speedy reduced 3510.50 and an earlier Explorer 1.......the smaller sizes suit my skinny wrists better. Both are watches I wouldn`t part with.

Not sure about the brown strap on the Speedy, black would always be my choice.

Paul

The speedmaster look great. Now I'm thinking I want one. I feel it's an all time classic. I'm not sure on the strap.

ismaaeel

Master
    2 watches that will stand the test of time. The stepped dial of the Speedy is beautiful.