closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Improve TV sound on a budget - any suggestions?

Improve TV sound on a budget - any suggestions?

Our Sharp TV's sound is quite good on normal broadcast programmes but when watching DVDs its very quiet especially on more talky shows - we notice it on 'Mad Men' which we are going through at the moment.

Is there a cheap way to improve the sound. I know nothing about home cinema so not sure what would work - a soundbar? I don't want a mass of surround speakers around the room - ideally one/two at the side or front and not too big in size - budget of say £50-200ish. I'm a big fan of Richer Sounds so will probably go there to grab a good deal. Thanks for any suggestions..

Is there not a setting in the TV's input menus called 'Volume Offset' or some such?

On my Sony TV, I can set the volume for each attached device, and have the volume of my BR/DVD-player maxed.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Is there not a setting in the TV's input menus called 'Volume Offset' or some such?

On my Sony TV, I can set the volume for each attached device, and have the volume of my BR/DVD-player maxed.
    Ah i didn't know about this, will investigate - thanks

Failing that, I have a sonos playbar which I'd highly recommend. It streams music as well so covers that base nicely too

I have been looking at the Microlabs Fc360 as a cheap / basic TV speaker option.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microlabs-MI.../dp/B006812VRA
    I don't know what these are like,
    but they are well priced at the moment on Amazon at £47 (£55 on Ebuyer)

You need to consider whether stereo sound will be good enough.
    And you might find that bluetooth is really useful to play stuff directly into the speakers, without using the TV's USB socket.
    Once you start looking - it's easy to get dragged up to your £200 budget maximum for a decent sound with bluetooth.
    My 32" TV was only £200 - so I ain't going to go nuts on the speakers.

There are lots of options available here http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Peripher...imit=30&page=1

Would this be any use?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1813324898...84.m1555.l2649

It was relisted after not selling last week. I haven't a clue if it would help you out; maybe the technophiles on here will advise. But if it would I will pull it off eBay and you are welcome to it.

Oh, sorry, not the TZ way; should have said:

You can have this for nothing, but if you don't then it's off to eBay.

Journeyman
    Not living in the UK I have some silly ideas for you ;-)
    One is to go with DIY speakers, its actually great fun and reasonable easy. Especially full-range speakers are great for dialogs.
    I build these for my kitchen
    http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-267-183.html
    unfortunately it is all in German, but if you get interested, I will gladly help you.
    It will cost you around 50gbp to build them and for around 30 pounds you get a small digital amplifier of Ebay.
    I have not bought any non diy speakers in the last years, but from what I have read, Teufel has some very offers, especially if you consider their warranty and the chance to try them for 8 weeks at home.
    This kit might just be prefect for your
    http://www.teufelaudio.co.uk/stereo/...22-p13126.html
    and if you don't like it you lost 19 gbp ;-)

Hope that helped!

Grand Master
    A second-hand stereo hif-fi amp and a couple of decent speakers. Pick up a decent second-hand CD player and you could really treat your ears.

Personally, I don`t like surround sound, I find it quite wearing to listen to after a while. I make do with my normal TV sound (which isn`t too bad) but for serious viewing/listening I switch the sound through my hi-fi system.

Paul

Master
    I have hooked up a Bose soundlink mini to the tv. Small, and sounds great. Plus its bluetooth, so I can play music from my tablet.

Craftsman
    Yamaha soundbar, not much more than 100 quid. The model I got ends in 101 or something. Volume is more 'level' so adverts don't blast out and they can make voices sound clearer. I won't go back to not owning one now. I did push the sound through a decent stereo, but without the levelling, it would sound boomy at times.

Quote Originally Posted by VoleBoy View Post
    Yamaha soundbar, not much more than 100 quid. The model I got ends in 101 or something. Volume is more 'level' so adverts don't blast out and they can make voices sound clearer. I won't go back to not owning one now. I did push the sound through a decent stereo, but without the levelling, it would sound boomy at times.
    We bought this for 150 from Richer after another thread on here after Christmas - really, really good.

Quote Originally Posted by VoleBoy View Post
    This ^^^ . This is what I use too. Excellent quality.

Rod

Unhappy

I got these once my son kept trying to pull the surround sound speakers on his head

sound great

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microlabs-FC.../dp/B0040N3BQI

Richer sounds have some cracking deals on soundbars and surround sound kits

I'd be tempted with a basic high amp and some speakers. Your TV should have audio out of some sort - straight into the back of the amp and good quality sound is the outcome.

I've tried bespoke solutions (currently got a Q-Acoustics QTV2) and they always feel a bit more niche - harder to reuse elsewhere in the house when a flipping sort of feeling hits. A cheapish amp and speakers will always come in useful.

Cheap PC speakers (<£40) can make a massive difference.

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    This ^^^ . This is what I use too. Excellent quality.

Rod
    maybe worth while waiting for the new yas-103 version though, due out sometime later this month ,basically the same as the 101 but with airplay and bluetooth added should be around £250 or their abouts.

you'll need an opitical cable to use it so just check your tv has one or something compatible.

Apprentice
    Glad I ran across this thread! I've been wondering this recently. Will probably be picking up on of those Yamaha bars soon.

Thanks

Journeyman
    I've tried a variety of soundbars over the years and have never found one I'm happy with. I'm currently using a pair of Ruark MR1's which are pretty impressive for improving TV/movie sound and are excellent with blue tooth music...they look stunning too for a pair of speakers in the walnut finish. It's not surround sound but a great sound enhancer. RRP is about £300 but can be found cheaper.

http://www.ruarkaudio.com/products/mr1-overview