closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedmaster Mkii at Trafford... extra pics

Master

Speedmaster Mkii at Trafford... extra pics

Just tried it on and really like it... £3950 (too much?!). According to the salesman the only one they'll get in before Basel...

EDIT:

Here are some other photos I managed to grab of the watch. I liked it as I say and I'm surprised at the welcome of a £4k price tag. I guess that's the times we live in now where these prices are classed as normality. I must say though, if you're going to spend £4k on a watch, you're getting a nice amount of steel for your money. The movement used is the 3330, identical to that of the Seamaster Chrono range etc, so not a 9300 etc.

The bracelet was nice and weighty, made up of lots of small links so it felt comfortable. The case is pretty thick which may put some people off, but I'd assume the raised Tachy scale has something to do with this. I liked the fact that the watch is 100M WR as well, plus it has superb lume throughout. I'd like to see the black dial variant ideally though as I think that'd work brilliantly.

Anyway, more pics...

Last edited by W44NNE; 1st March 2014 at 23:28.

I like it... Its less than i had been lead to believe.. though still too much for me...

Master
    The tachy scale is a sandwich luminova disk which looks great too.

Craftsman
    Absolutely no need for the date indicator, but looks pretty nice otherwise.

Banned
    The date is butt ugly.

Wait and get a grand off after Basel Wayne.

I like a date display, but that looks a little incongruous.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Agreed that the date lets it down a little.
    Otherwise quite a nice-looking thing.
    Id rather have a vintage model personally, but would certainly enjoy wearing this version.

My local dealer has one in black - the date looks a lot better on that model, will hopefully get to go and have a look in a few weeks....

I do rather like these and it looks like they're not quite as expensive as they first sounded like they were going to be.

(I might be interested when s/h ones get to £2500 on SC!!)

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I like a date display, but that looks a little incongruous.
    + 1, why the black background???

I saw that in the window there this morning. It looks really good. They've also got a Dark Side of the Moon Speedmaster which I was less impressed by.

Looks great, but Omega seem to have overpriced it compared to a genuine original!

I am pleasantly surprised by the price. Expensive but not extortionate.
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Yes - given the way things seem to be going of late - that's not as expensive as it could have been.

Journeyman
    I personally think that looks lovely. However I agree with Basel around corner a deal needs to be on the cards.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Seems cheap by current standards.

That's a decent price. Is the £3950 price the full UK retail price Wayne or was it discounted at all?

I note that Omega now have an interesting slider tool ( under "Evolving Innovation" ) of both the new and vintage Racing Mark II on their site.

http://www.omegawatches.com/collecti...32710435006001
    Last edited by j111dja; 1st March 2014 at 22:04.

Grand Master
    Much prefer the original if I wanted the look tbh.

Craftsman
    I love a lot of Omega's new offerings but not this i'm afraid . Busy dial and not very elegant , IMO .

I really like this watch, especially the tachymetre, the price (pleasantly) surprises me, case dimensions seem quite large though, W44NNE does it seem large?

One thing perplexes me, why buy this when the original can be had for less than half the price?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    I really like this watch, especially the tachymetre, the price (pleasantly) surprises me, case dimensions seem quite large though, W44NNE does it seem large?

One thing perplexes me, why buy this when the original can be had for less than half the price?
    I'd not say " pleasantly" surprised at the price tbh!,why pleasantly surprised?,what figure would you have thought too much?.

+1 on the original over this tho.

Well I want the black version of this.... Love it...

I will have to wait for the discounts or them to filter through to the used market..

I see they have a micro adjustment on the bracelet

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    The date is butt ugly.

Wait and get a grand off after Basel Wayne.
    Oh definitely. I like it but not £4k's worth of like Steve! :-D

I've updated the thread with extra piccies for your perusal all

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    why pleasantly surprised?,what figure would you have thought too much?.
    Pleasantly surprised given the prices of the recent Speedmaster Professional Models against the price of standard Moonwatch at £2.8k, for example the Apollo-Soyuz at £5.7k, Apollo XVII 40th Anniversary £4.5k, Darkside of the moon not much change from £8k.

It seems to be that I think of a price a new Omega model will sell for and Omega double it :)

For this model I figured £3.5k would be reasonable but from the reports I'd seen I was lead to believe it would come in closer to £5k, so I guess my expectation was set around that figure.

It's looking a bit thick in the latest pics, not so sure I like a as much now I've seen it on a wrist.

This model does not have the in-house co-axial 9300 movement - hence the 'lower' price.

Like it a lot!
    Will have to check out Omega boutique in NY

This looks amazing and is for me a further demonstration of Omega elevating it's brand perception by developing and releasing interesting watches and watch technology.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    This looks amazing and is for me a further demonstration of Omega elevating it's brand perception by developing and releasing interesting watches and watch technology.
    To be fair it did originally develop this one in 1969 :)

Co-axing the formerly Longines-only ETA-group 7753 is a good idea - movement snobs don't like it but it's a very good movement. And 4k is now cheap "for an Omega".
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I saw that in the window there this morning. It looks really good. They've also got a Dark Side of the Moon Speedmaster which I was less impressed by.
    How much was the DSOTM if you can remember?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adam164 View Post
    How much was the DSOTM if you can remember?
    £7950 I think when I saw it. I was told they sell out "instantly" last time I went in. Funny how there was one in the window.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    £7950 I think when I saw it. I was told they sell out "instantly" last time I went in. Funny how there was one in the window.
    That price sounds about right. I thought of the ceramic watch thread here as soon as I saw it.

Master
    I liked the press release pictures, but not these. Looks very large and thick. What is it? 43mm, 14-15 thick?

And that black date window.

Master
    Very ambitiously priced methinks.

Journeyman
    Given the choice I'd still have an original and some cash.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Much prefer the original if I wanted the look tbh.
    +1......can`t really see the attraction of the new version. The dial's nice but the case is a thick chunk of metal that will only work on a large wrist. Nothing elegant or stylish about it whatsoever. The originals have a certain period charm about them, but to reincarnate the design seems pointless.

Paul

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    I liked the press release pictures, but not these. Looks very large and thick. What is it? 43mm, 14-15 thick?
    42.2mm across, apparently, and with the display back and extra gubbins around the dial, you'd be looking at 17mm or so (few modern Valjoux chronos are under 15mm).

Worth noting that the original was nearly 42mm/15mm thick - so this upsizing isn't as gross as it looks.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I like it a lot. Its extremely faithful to the original in terms of looks, and the size is pretty close. The date wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Co axial, 100m wr, expandable bracelet. All good stuff

And its a fantastic looking piece.

Craftsman
    Wow, that looks really thick.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanV View Post
    Wow, that looks really thick.
    Well in that case we should give it the nickname "Honey"

I tried one on Saturday in Regents St Omega Boutique. It looked nice, but the date was set to '6' and looked too big, perhaps double digit dates will look nicer. And thickness of it was too much.

The sales person told me the staff were surprised at the price, at under 4K, they thought it would be close to the £5.5k Co-Ax Speedmaster. Regents St had two and didn't expect to have them for long 'at that price'.

Master
    Dink magnet

Just bought one today from Omega boutique in Regents Street - apparently I'm the first person in London to buy one. Lovely lovely watch, it has for me 2 key selling points other than its retro look. The first is the clever bracelet extention in the clasp - Omega have outdone Rolex's glidelock here and the second is the incredible tachymeter lume. It looks as if it's lit from underneath and gives the impression of being an instrument on a spaceship. Anyway quick smartphone pic here;

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Just bought one today from Omega boutique in Regents Street - apparently I'm the first person in London to buy one. Lovely lovely watch, it has for me 2 key selling points other than its retro look. The first is the clever bracelet extention in the clasp - Omega have outdone Rolex's glidelock here and the second is the incredible tachymeter lume. It looks as if it's lit from underneath and gives the impression of being an instrument on a spaceship. Anyway quick smartphone pic here;
    Nice one, can you give us some more details on the bracelet and clasp design works?

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Nice one, can you give us some more details on the bracelet and clasp design works?
    Sure so the clasp has a 'push' button inside that enables you to extend the bracelet by a full 2 links. It's really easy to use and nicely executed. Here's some pics; first one the clasp as normal

Then here's the push button

And finally voilą!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just popped into the Omega Boutique at the Royal Exchange.

They have both the black and racing dial mkiis in the shop.. so I got to try them on and have a good look. They are not as thick as some of the photos seems to show. I have a 7" inch wrist and it sat very nicely. The bracelet is not as heavyweight as the planet oceans or rolex subs but felt well made and the glidelock style clasp was very smooth and easy to use.

Both dials looked great.. I am drawn to the traditional one..

Very very tempting....I think one would go nicely with my modern retro speedmaster...

Oh and 4 years warranty and suggested 8-10 years before service

They also had the Bullhead in the shop (though reserved for a customer) - though I cannot really see why I would want to spend another 2k over the MkII Speedies for it.

Oh in my opinion the Roles glidelock seems sturdier in its build.. though functionally its nice to seem other manufacturers catching on with easy adjustment options.

cheers

Matt
    Last edited by MattH; 5th March 2014 at 14:23.