closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko Izul

Master
    Blog Entries

Seiko Izul

A small quick review of a watch even most enthusiasts do not know exists...

Izul was introduced in 2007 and was meant to be a fourth premium line of Seiko's catalog. Unfortunately it did not do so well in the domestic market and was discontinued in 2009, without really selling well anywhere in the world.
    The reasons were many, the size was too big for Japanese average wrists, Spring Drive was taken into the newly introduced Ananta family, which also is a larger cased line, but not as extreme in design.

Anyway. Izul was presented in 4 different designs, two with rotating case ( SDAA001 or SDAA007 ) and two fixed-case ( SDAA003 or SDAA005 ) . Black or white dials separated the different models.

All were Spring Drive chronographs without GMT complication, the movement is labelled 5R85.

My version reference is SDAA003.

The dimensions are d = 47mm , h = 14.4 mm .
    Case and bracelet are hardness-treated titanium, which makes the watch light and comfortable on the arm .
    Compllications are (besides chronograph) date and power reserve indication.

Detail work of the case is very good. Brushing is nicely applied and polished edges underline the unusual shape of the case. Bullhead design is pretty nice when the watch is sitting on the arm and has been incorporated into the case in a perfect manner. The design provides a futuristic impression as a whole.

The dial is creme silver with fat indices in black. I especially love that it is only chronograph minutes indicated around the perimeter of the dial, giving the impression that the watch is built for timekeeping, with clear references to the stopwatch design. Power reserve is similar to a fuel gauge, not too much color. Really good.

Hour-, minute and second hands, and power reserve indicator is painted black, chronograph hands are blued. The blue shade is easily taken for black and only visible in the right light conditions, for a long time I believed that the chronograph seconds hand was black...

The engravings on the back is razor sharp and the movement is beautifully detailed through the sapphire display back. I have really nothing to complain about regarding the finish, the rotor shimmers in rainbow colors in bright light.

The huge sapphire glass is proficiently anti-glared. The size of the glass combined with the dimensions of the dial makes it very legible and gives an absolutely fantastic impression on your arm.

The only thing I have to remark on (as usual) is the clasp. I miss the micro-adjustment possibility. Had this been present the watch had been very close to perfect for me.

Finally, a note of caution - it is a huge watch. If you like <42mm watches - do not even think about this one!

Hope you enjoyed reading!

Cheers!
    /S
    Last edited by klockodile; 1st August 2016 at 23:27.

Quote Originally Posted by klockodile View Post
    Hope you enjoyed reading!
    I did for sure!! Great review of a very nice watch I didn't know of. Thanks for your time.

Interesting. Always good to find out about the rarer Seikos. Like the dial layout and also the finishing on the rotor. How did you come across it?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Interesting. Always good to find out about the rarer Seikos. Like the dial layout and also the finishing on the rotor. How did you come across it?
    Cheers!

I was actually looking for a non GMT Spring Drive chrono, and 5R85 was the only movement. Via the movement and Google I ran across it...and got hooked.

BTW the box is quite something also...sizewise...

Last edited by klockodile; 1st August 2016 at 23:31.

Quote Originally Posted by klockodile View Post
    Cheers!

I was actually looking for a non GMT Spring Drive chrono, and 5R85 was the only movement. Via the movement and Google I ran across it...and got hooked.

BTW the box is quite something also...sizewise...
    Cool. Nice way to try a spring drive. Let's see the box then!

Cool...does indeed seem to be the best word to describe this beauty. In 2009 ABlogToWatch called it "The Coolest Watch You’ve Never Heard Of (And Can’t Get)"!

To get a better idea of its size watch: YouTubeLink
    Last edited by PickleB; 3rd March 2014 at 15:07.

Journeyman
    Never seen this model before, very interesting.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Cool. Nice way to try a spring drive. Let's see the box then!
    Let's see if I can manage. Have to rent a lorry first ;)

That is a supercool watch, a keeper I presume.

Thanks for taking the time for that excellent review. Concise and very informative.

Craftsman
    Nice review.Thanx for sharing.

Useful review with good pics of a very "niche" piece. Thank you for the information.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the cheers!

Craftsman
    Looks good.

Apprentice
    I really like the dial on the top, thanks for the review I'm going to add that watch to my "list"

Master
    It is a beautiful watch. I recently got the stuckx bull and that is big enough at 42 MM I doubt I could pull the seiko off! But the spring drive movement! Oh such a thing of beauty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk